Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,184 | Ratings: 3,279
2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

had this in fl. one of the very few half way decent beers I could find in the stores before I went to total winefrom the bottle. poured a golden orange with a small white head. aroma hops, citrus, leang towards orange and not much going on after that. flavor hops, citrus no leaning to grapefruit. for a inexpenive beer not to bad.

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

I was served this beer on tap and it came with a thin wispy white head that essentially faded before I had my 2nd taste.

There was a slight hop aroma, but I was struck by the lack of aroma, especially for an IPA on tap.

The beer was a bright copper/golden color and slightly hazy.

Frankly, I'm not impressed. The taste was too sweet and not well balanced. Not an IPA for Hop Heads. But I am willing to guess those who enjoy it prefer more malt intense styles to begin with.

The initial flavor was of citrus hops with an overly sweet malt blast.

Just a light hop finish that lingers. Also a little spice note as you drink. I thought the mouth feel was a little light for an IPA, but perhaps that led to acceptable drinkability

There is nothing special about this IPA and I would not go out of my way to have another.

Many, Many better IPA choices in this world that are readily available.

2.62/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle into goblet.
Straw colored brew that produces a quick-falling head with a stern pour. Smells grassy with a touch of pine. Taste is clean and mild with plenty of bitterness. A bit of floral hop flavor but there is a real lack of depth in the palate. Light bodied with a fluid mouthfeel. This is a drinkable blond ale that appeals to a broad spectrum of consumers. That's not a bad thing, especially if it leads people to better beer. The issue I have is, it appears that they took a mild ale, did a little dry hopping and changed the name to cash in on the IPA bandwagon. When the marketing is more of a focus than the product, I tend to steer clear.

2.62/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a radiant golden color with a huge and fluffy white head. The retension is good and expected with any hoppy beer.

Aroma is pine, grapefruit, lemon , citrus peel... not much malt here.

Overall the taste is nice but isn't any hoppier than many american pale ales like SNPA. Redhook really nailed the winter warmer and ESB and I'd rather go with them on those styles and pick up a better representation of IPA from another brewer.

2.61/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into maudite snifter.

A- Pours a pale slightly hazy copper color with a 1 finger head that dissipates quickly and leaves little lacing.

S- Very disappointing. No hops, almost feels like I'm smelling the glass.

T- I was expecting a lot more flavor from this ipa.

M- Watery

O- I don't think I would get this one again.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

Pours a clear golden color, a big amount of head that doesn't stick around for too long.

Smells mostly of citrus hops and some sweetness.

Tastes of citrus hoppiness and a little matly sweetness. This is a very weak IPA and I would've thought it was a pale ale.

Feels a bit thin in the mouth.

Fairly drinkable.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

I've had this in bottle as well as on tap in the RH brewpub in SEA. I'm always dissapointed when I see this included in the ranks of serious AIPAs.

Mom always said, if you have nothing to say...

It's a great version of an IPA to drink with filling foods/meals or perhaps when the humidity is unbearable.

Hop lovers steer clear.

Had on tap at mellow mushroom in Johnson City, TN

Arrived a slightly hazy medium amber with a small whitish head.

Mostly piney hops in the aroma along with a decent amount toasted malt and caramel.

The flavor was much like the smell. Quite earthy with more pine than citrus in the way of hops. Decently impressed with the hop/malt balance but it is all a little bit underdone. This really tastes like a light pale ale, definitely not an IPA. Overall, very underwhelming.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Weird little bottle, but I do really like the bottle cap and the quote underneath it: Cheers to 12oz curls!

A: Pours a clear golden color with lots of small carbonation bubbles released to the top. A 1.5 finger white head formed on top, but quickly reduced to a thin layer of foam on top. Splotchy lacing down the sides.

S: A little bit of hop presence, but seems lacking compared to most IPA aromas, very little bit of orange. Would have guessed it for a weak pale ale actually. Has a sort of funky grain aroma, and not in a pleasant way.

T: Similarly disappointing. Somewhat bitter with no citrus and just a touch of pine. Very grainy and bready with a little bit of caramel. Bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not very smooth at all, actually a little difficult to drink.

O: Not a good IPA at all, glad I only got one bottle. The best part about this beer is the bottle cap.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer finally got me off my butt and motivated me to write a review. And I’m not writing because it is good. As others have stated, calling this an IPA is marketing, plain and simple. If not downright deceit. The only attribute it has that is even comparable to an IPA is the 6.0% alcohol content.

I can detect almost no hops smell, and the only real trace of hops I can detect is a slight bitterness, though it is not harsh or unpleasant.

Overall the malt and hops are fairly balanced, but nothing to get excited about. Although I wouldn’t necessarily say this beer is horrible, it doesn’t do anything for me, and I can't rate it high in any particular category when it is claiming to be someting it clearly isn't. Maybe if they called it a pale ale or something more close to what it really is, I wouldn’t have been so disappointed.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

I picked up a mixed case of Redhook in Bellingham, WA (being Canadian, I really appreciate how you can get alcohol at gas stations Stateside), mixed in with pilsners, esbs, and a "copper hook" amber, I believe.

Anyway, as this is the IPA, I had to try it as I love a good IPA these days. This beer sadly, while definitely drinkable, is not one I would come running back to. I just didn't like the aftertaste, nor the actual flavour of the beer as I downed it. It just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Some of the other varieties Redhook offers were delicious, but sadly, this IPA goes into my "forgettable" pile.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

This poured to an orange and gold color. The small head vanished quickly, and the lacing was minimal and unremarkable.

Cheap grains were detected in both the smell and taste. The hop content is relatively well balanced, but the overall taste leaves a lot to be desired.

The fairly off taste makes it harder to drink than it should be.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a dark yellow color with a small amount of head that disappeared quickly -- a little hazy, but nothing to set it apart from others. Smelled of yeast, a little citrus/floral, and a small amout of hops. The taste was fairly disappointing. I expected to have a predominant amount of hop and yeast flavor, but was surprised with a fairly bland beer. Mouthfeel and drinkability were okay, but this beer left me questioning why I bought it.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale golden color with a fuzzy, boiled rice in a pan looking head, leaving diseased lace as it recedes.

Smells like an adjunct lager with grainy, toasted aromas and a malt skunk. Did I just pour a Molson Canadian?

A skunky, heavy grain bill with corn and barley, tailing with a faint pine note.

Feel is watery, with moderate carbonation, morphing into a light creaminess as it fades into water again.

An undoubtedly boring IPA. This was more like a hoppy lager than anything.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

It pours out to a pale lagerish yellow/amber color with a one inch fluffy head. There's not much of an aroma, more butter than hops. Hmmm, this is a half decent american pale ale maybe, but definitely not an IPA. It's kind of buttery diacetyl again, definitely not a welcome taste to me when enjoying an IPA. The hops show up in the finish with some crisp bitterness. So yeah, an average pale ale to say the least, not an IPA.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in Warsaw, IN on 2009-12-18

The good news is this was served on draft for the low, low price of $1.00 per pint at The Downtown (on special).

The color is clear amber with a 1 finger, white head. There's not much aroma.

The malt flavor is mild of grain, citrus and hops. I thought the bitterness was particularly light for an IPA.

You can quaff this easily because of its light character.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

#110. It's been a while since I've done a review, but I've decided to review this beer as the bottle date was September 2 2010 which makes this one old IPA. I enjoyed the Winter Hook release well enough so I'm going to anticipate good things with this.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a 1/5 finger depth frothy head of a mildly pleasing semi-thick consistency. Retention is average; the head dies away gradually but there is a consistent shrouding on the surface. Some light droopy lacing speckles the sides of the glass, but most of it doesn't stick for long. Color is a hazy pale gold. There's an extraordinary amount of pulpy substance suspended in the mix. It's very curious and bizarre. A great deal of medium sized carbonation bubbles rise consistently throughout the beer. The pulpiness of this beer makes it curiously unique, but I'm not sure if it's appealing to me; it certainly won't be to the casual drinker. 3

(Smell) There is far more malty aroma in the nose than hop character, but both lend detectable traces to this brew. This beer lacks the spicy fresh edge that piney hops provide; instead this 7 month-old beer has a very mild, but inviting aroma. I think this would only be better in the case of a fresher beer, but much of the character is still detectable in this beer. There's lots of excitement that this beer needs to be a decent quality IPA; it's just not quite there. 2.5

(Taste) A lackluster blend of malty madness and a lighter hop presence. There's some slight piney highs in the midsection of the taste, but they're faint, only fragments of what might have been a quality IPA six months ago. The fruit content is easy to pick out in this beer; there is a detectable grapefruit character and possibly some grape, very light low acid citrus flavors too. A little more fruitier than my average IPA, but maybe time drained out the other flavors and this is all that's left. Balance isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I'm determined to try this in a fresher batch. It could only be better. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Super super smooth. Almost uncharacteristic for an IPA, it could certainly use some prickly texture to complement the style. There is a little thickness that might allude from the pulpy appearance, but this beer manages a light body at the most. Alcohol is tucked away quite well. There are no astringent or off flavors which is pleasing. 3

(Overall) This is about as average as IPAs can get. I'm sure that there may be some lacking quality due to the age of the beer, but this beer was at least 6 months bottled at the time of my purchase, making quality control or distribution something that needs some serious improvements. The flavors aren't well balanced and the mouthfeel is dull and unexciting. There's improvements to be made through and through, but this beer still manages to be a decent beer, or maybe I just am forgiving with IPAs. 2.5

Redhook Ales Brewery's
Long Hammer IPA:
C- (2.58)

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Orange-hazy color and a small white head. Stick a little to the glass. The smell is way to sweet for an IPA. A little bitterness from the hops can be detected. The taste is nothing like an IPA. An almost artificial sweetness seems to dominate up front. A hint of fruit from the hops but not much else. Has a light malty aftertaste. This is not an IPA. None of the flavors that I look for in an American IPA are present.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

a: Pours a crystal clear golden, copper in color with a thin layer of foam that dissipates quickly and leaves a bit of lacing around the glass. Carbonation levels look solid. First impression is that this will be a very light brew without much complexity.

S: Not much on the nose. Some sweet malts, grains, grass, honey and of course a bit of floralness from the hops, but much less prominent than expected.

T: Similar to the aroma with prominent notes of grass, grains, sweet malts and a very subtle floral and pine hop presence. This is much more like a weakly hopped pale ale than your typical American IPA, and it doesn't offer much in the way of other flavors, either.

M: Light bodied with good carbonation, it doesn't offer much in the way of substance and comes off rather thin and a bit watery, though it is crisp and easy to drink.

O: Well, this is not at all what I expected when I made the purchase and I definitely feel the "IPA" label of this beer is misleading. This is an APA, at best, and there are plenty of APA's that have more hops than this. That said, there is nothing wrong with this beer, per se, but it certainly lacks complexity or depth. It is quite drinkable, however, and would make a great refreshing brew for a hot day, or a good session brew (the 6.5% alcohol is masked very well). So I guess how much you enjoy it will depend on what you're after.

2.57/5  rDev -20.7%

From bottle to mouth, ie, drinking from the bottle.

Smooth very mild hop taste, no linger, no bite.
For an IPA, very dull.
Red Hook has yet to impress me and with the "long hammer" I thought they wouldve, heh, "nailed" it, but they missed.
Wouldnt buy a 6pk, but would have on with a friend and then go on to tell them how a real IPA should bite me in the ass.

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Just found this in my girlfriends parents fridge with a date of 5/15/04, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It pours the standard deep orange golden color of most IPAs with a slight head that left the scene quickly. The smell was not what I would have expected detecting just about no hops only a slight sweetness. This tastes slightly bitter with a mild citruses taste from the few hops that are present. Not bad tasting overall but not great. Mouthfeel was average and it had average drinkability. Not the best but definatly not the worst, it will work in a pinch.

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Got this bottle from a buddy - Thanks Ross. I have never had a Redhook beer before, so hopefully this will be a good experience.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a transparent straw color and produced a quickly dissipating 1 1/2 finger head. Looks more like a macro lager than most IPAs I have imbibed. It is missing that golden orange hue that most IPAs have.

Smell - There is a very soft hop scent. I would have liked a lot more. There is some bready malts, almost sweet. Very light citrus notes. Smells like Lone Star with citrus spritzed into it.

Taste - Tastes kinda like a citrusy Lone Star, or how a Lone Star would if it had any kind of hop profile. The hops are mainly apparent in the beer's aftertaste. There is a bready sweetness from the malt, and slightly metallic "tin"-like flavor on the back of the sweetness. This IPA is missing that characteristic bite that most other IPA have.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is pretty thin for an IPA. It does, however, go down very smooth.

Drinkability - It was an easy-drinking brew, but the flavor and the smell were lacking.

This was an extremely weak tasting IPA. Not worth buying especially when brands like Stone, Avery, DFH, Bear Republic, and Victory are located on the same isle. Hopefully this isn't the best that Redhook has to offer.

I still appreciate the gift of brew, from my good friend Ross. Thanks buddy.

2.56/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pale gold, white head has some retention and lacing. Not bad.

S/T - Herbal hops, backed up by some pale malts, grainy, cereal grain sweetness, finishing lightly bitter with some pine and herbal notes. Some astringency.

M - Light body, lively carbonation. Turns thin halfway through, a little watery. Slight astringency.

O - Lighter, less bold flavors and aroma than the standard IPA. Just seems to be lacking the needed depth in the style.

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%

A few months back I tried the Redhook Amber and I was disappointed. By contrast, this beer has promise. Pours a bit cloudy and the one I just sampled does look like an IPA; however, I do agree with previous reviewers. The sweet smell smell and lack of hops make me wonder, “where’s the IPA.” Not something I’d come back to but better than Redhook’s Amber.

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Very slight chill haze fades on a perfectly clear light gold. Head is straight white with a dense bubble structure. Drops to a tiny cap and collar. Some splotches of lacing. Pretty standard if a little unexciting.

Smell: More earthy than anything. Some small hints of grapefruit and pine on the back. A bit muddled. A touch of hay with grass. Lightly bready malt base. Very mild. Some slight herbal elements. Vague sweet malt as well.

Taste: Vague citrus. Some grapefruit rind and pith. Slight bitterness. A hint of pine needle with a bunch of earthy herbal notes. Malts are very lightly bready and a touch sweet. Some toasted elements as well. musty juicy fruit. Hops are a bit old and dirty on the finish. Oddly fruity.

Mouthfeel: Light pushing toward medium body. Mild carbonation with a slightly dry finish. Relatively smooth.

Overall: Life is like a velvet hammer knocking on my head.

I can see the appeal of this as an intro IPA. It's inoffensive with a very mild hop profile. No frills, but it feels a little off overall. It's never going to be a staple in my conversion sixer, I'll leave that to Harpoon or the like.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery