Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Liked:
3.28/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 3,306 |  Reviews: 1,195

1.08/5  rDev -67.1%

This beer was on sale at my local albertson store. I bought one bottle. I decided to take a chance on this one and I wish I did not take it.

Appearance - pours a clear golden yellow with a minimal head.

Smell -Like pine with minimal hops to it

Taste- unpleasant,likec bitterness with metal some citrus acidity. It taste like a battery acid from my car. How can someone brew this an beleive this taste good!

Mouthful - It is Mild, and light on the mouth.

Overall - To be honest, I'm upset that I spent 2 dolars and some change on this beer. Do not buy this even it is on sale!

1.24/5  rDev -62.2%

Sparkly clear carbonated gold, your basic champagne-like AAL appearance.

Smells like skunked melon.

Tastes like bitter aluminum.

This may be worse than your basic, cheap, conglomerate AAL. Yuck!

1.25/5  rDev -61.9%

This is to IPA what Tony's is to frozen pizza. It tastes like metal and sadness. Never again!

1.25/5  rDev -61.9%

1.39/5  rDev -57.6%

This is a disgusting beer. Maybe I had a bad 6-pack, but I won't be buying another to find out.

This beer has a nice golden colour to it, and leaves a loose bubbly head. Reminds me of Michelob from appearance. The smell is flat, and smells strongly of chemicals. The taste was even worse, the flavour resemebling a fake hop taste with a disgusting aftertaste that made me think of a local chemical company. After a while this cleared and left a decent taste in the mouth.

The beer feels good in the mouth, but the flavour and smell are bad. This beer does not rate for me in the IPA style and makes me feel that the brewer simple took a cheap beer and added some more hops.

1.4/5  rDev -57.3%

I am a big ipa fan and have tried many india pale ales brewed by numerous breweries. Long Hammer is not impressive at all. The smell was bordering on sour, and the taste wasn't any better....no citrus notes like most good india pale ales. Perhaps I got an outdated specimen...if not ....Long Hammer isn't very impressive.

1.41/5  rDev -57%

A - pours a slightly hazed, relatively clear golden yellow. Minimal bleach white head.

S - extremely mild fruity smell, maybe a tad piney. minimal hops, not nearly as pungent as I'd hoped/expected, to be honest it smells kind of funky, like the sludge at bottom of my fermentation bucket.

T - unpleasant, asprin-like/metallic bitterness that truly doesn't taste much like any IPA I've ever had. A little citrus acidity. A faint malt body makes this beer tolerable at least. Where are the hops? And why does this taste like a battery? I can't see how a brewer could be like "Yep, this will be our IPA." This beer has a lack of balance on multiple levels.

M - Mild, a little sticky after the swallow. Pretty oily and light in the mouth.

D - To be honest, I'm upset that I bought six of these. I might just drink all of them tonight and get it over with.

1.43/5  rDev -56.4%

1.44/5  rDev -56.1%

May 12 bottle date.
Served in tulip pint.

A lifeless and dull yellowy orange color. Small white head with bad retention and no lacing.
Smells like a slightly hopped up adjunt lager. No real malts coming through-- and the hops aren't aromatic, instead they smell purely like bittering hops.
The flavor is bland and any ingredients used seem to vanish. All that comes across is a slight citrus/pine hop and harsh bitterness.
It has a numbing effect on my tongue-- very odd. It's like heavy seltzer water in feel.

Wow. This is really a poor ipa. I will not be buying this ever again.

1.49/5  rDev -54.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Dry and nothing special. Very bitter with strong citrus flavors

1.5/5  rDev -54.3%

Garbage to say the least. No heavy hop flavor like a true IPA needs. Taste like an IPA light. Spend your $8 on something better than this.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery