Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Ratings: 3,301 |  Reviews: 1,194

2.8/5  rDev -13.6%

A: Pale gold with a finger of head.
S: Strong scent of hops right up front.
T&M: It's very shocking to the palette. The hops are very pronounced and that's not always a good thing, like for instance in this brew. It tend tends to mellow out near the end and the mouth is left with a slight cotton-mouth dryness.
D: I bought this one on a whim and probably will not again. The taste just doesn't do it for me, but if friends had this and that was all they had, I would drink it (not a ringing endorsement by any means).

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.86/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

3.06/5  rDev -5.6%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was a nice pretty golden color but much like any other regular beer. The head was nice anf fluffy and held on pretty well. The lacing was good and held up pretty well also. The taste was a little harsh a little pineapply. I just did not like the taste and will not buy again as this is like the third try.

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

A firm pour into a half-liter mug offers up a voluminous pale tan head of very good duration and lacing. Pale golden in color and brilliant, no yeasty beasties here. Nose is positively delicate, with flowery hops affecting notes of white pepper, and light golden fruit implied by the biscuity, pale malt. A lightly crisp, tingling hop bite is my first sip impression, and it's a gentle one at that. It blends well with the malt, but isn't as spicey as the Pacific Northwest hop-bombs I'm accustomed to in the style, so color me surprised. Lighter in body and fairly light on the mouthfeel, too. I appreciated a mild sweetness here, but almost would've preferred a bit more body/sweetness/booze (and at 6.5% this beer is rather dangerously drinkable*). Pleasing floral hop aromatics and bitterness linger more in the manner of a Yankee rendition of a British IPA, which I also find interesting and worth noting. Very mild fruit and vegetal notes also impress themselves as this warms, and the dryness in the finish is definitely worth noting, but ultimately I'm left with the impression that this needs "more of something" in order to convince me. Don't get me wrong, as this is a stylistic departure from Ballard Bitter (or what used to be, anyway), but it's getting to the point where I need to be convinced by Redhook these days (am I the only person who feels that Copperhook and Sunrye just don't cut it?) I'm also left with the impression that if they ramped up the malts and hops on Long Hammer it could make for the basis of a well-balanced Imperial IPA, and in that sense I think they're on to something with this recipe. But you see where I say it's "dangerously drinkable" up above? ( * ) The main problem with this beer as it stands is I wouldn't want to have more than one in a sitting: it's almost like "an American IPA for folks that *don't like* American IPAs", hence my impression of being unconvinced. In other words, this is BudHook at its finest.

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

Golden body with moderate carbonation, white head and fair lacing.
smells pretty hoppy but something seems to be 'off'... Taste ok though the aftertaste is also somewhat 'off', I dont know what it is but somethings wrong here.
Has a very buttery mouthfeel which I did not expect in an IPA and seems out of place.

It has most of the smell and taste of an IPA cept it seems to be lacking something.

-Oelergud

3.57/5  rDev +10.2%

The most enjoyable beer during my visit to the brewpub. Pour when pulled was a lovely golden color, topped with a frothy and creamery head. Aromawise, I liked the light grassy/haylike notes. Medium mouthfeel. This beer was pleasant and easy to drink. The aroma was duplicated in the taste, and the grassy hops were the most notable and delicious element.

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%