Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,173 | Ratings: 3,245

First had: on tap at Redhook, Woodinville, WA

Poured into a pint glass an orange-yellow with a small wisp of white bubbles for a head. Mild citrus in the aroma and some pale malt evidence. Light malt sweetness in the taste, with citrus zest and, light grassy hops. Hmm. Decent, but not great. Light-medium mouthfeel, and somewhat drinkable, but certainly not exemplary of the style.

3.11/5  rDev -4%

Bottle shared with my roommate.

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a fluffy white head that clings to the wall of the glass.

S: The nose starts off with citrus hops, floral hops, and perhaps a bit of urine. Some bread and cracker type malts are present as well.

T: This is moderately bitter, but not necessarily in a good way. Bitter grain flavors, primarily overcooked bread, along with a bitter pine flavor from the hops. Some mild citrus undertones as well as some floral notes.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation after the beer comes up to temperature.

D: Not really my favorite IPA, but it's not as terrible as some of the ratings indicate. But it is about as average as its score here.

3.56/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this as part of a mix-a-six, poured chilled from the 12 oz brown bottle into teku chilled.

The color is a ruddy amber with moderate haze with slightly off white head which has average sized bead. The lace sticks in a spotty pattern, the smell is fruity and citrus mostly with a moderately hoppy odor and slightly sweet fragrance. The mouthfeel is mostly sweet but has a moderate bitterness to balance with mostly dry finish and moderate carbonation.

The flavor is somewhat bitter citrus up front with slight tangy yeast and becomes sweeter toward the middle with some caramel malt backing and light hint of pine from the hops near the finish but balanced more than bitter with the impression of a dry hopped pale ale in general. The overall impression is not that this is that bad, however for the style it seems a little tame. I would drink it again but don't recommend this if you are looking for a true American IPA with more bitterness than your average pale ale.

3.43/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

There little ploy worked, I picked this long hammer ipa on a whim, wasn't much else in that store that excited me. I now see it's the old dog in a new package, well at least I know it's fairly fresh, born on date Nov 29 06

Pours efferevescent bronze with a 2 fingers deep offwhite head. Some lacing & head retention

S: Faint perfumy hops & a little lemon, not much considering how much hops are in the taste profile

T: Lemony & grapefruit hops up front with a little fruittyness. A little breadyness as it warms. Finishes citrussy & dry

MF: Medium bodied with restrained carbonation. Balances okay

If this is in fact 6.5 ABV its well hidden. Drinks pretty darn easy, but seems to be a bit too timid style-wise an an AIPA. This ins't a bad one to go with if you are limited in choice. I have fond memories of supping Ballard's Bitter at the Dragon Hill Lodge in Seoul, a oasis in a sea of crap American & Korean beer, so this will always have a soft spot in my heart. I'll take this over the esb, which has lost all its character IMO. A good training wheels IPA IMO. This 12 pack will get consumed within the next 72 hours, loads of football this weekend!

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Paolo's Ristorante (Washington, DC).

Another lost review found randomly during cleaning today. This was imbibed in late April, 2010. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises grapefruit rind, cantaloupe, sweet caramel, and cucumber. The taste holds notes of orange peel, light caramel, grass, grapefruit rind, and lemon peel. A strident bitterness pervades the finish something fierce. Balance be damned, apparently. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a rather dry finish. Overall, an okay IPA, but not one I'd wanna drink again, really. It seems like they tried to make this a hop-bomb, but only managed to make it too bitter.

3.16/5  rDev -2.5%

Had this one on tap at my local 99 Restaurant & Pub. Big ass 25 oz mug at that. Some old lady in the booth next to me was whooping and hollering that I was drinking a mug of beer the size of my head. Needless to see I almost had beer come through my nose out of sheer laughter. Any way … back to the beer.

Real nice lacing and it actually left rings down the glass, perfect clarity off of a pale golden yellow colour. Faint aroma of esters and grain. A bit buttery in the mouth with more alcoholic esters, odd fruitiness and flavourless hop bitterness left me wondering where the IPA is. Dry, pale and well … weak maltiness. Not a bad flavour but somewhat bland.

It was fine to wash down some steak tips and sides but not a beer I’d drink alone just for the sake of drinking beer.

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%

I brought this to a gathering of semi-beer-geeks, not the type that fill these forms out, but still avoid "bad" beers even if they're micros. So, perhaps we were fooled when seeing the other scores, but these are my scores and I'm sticking to them.

The appearance has a slight chill haze. Fluffy head that leaves spotty lace. Golden color.

Decent flowery hop aroma.

Here's a solidly hoppy IPA. Not much in the way of balance, but I would say it matches the profile nicely. I like the mouthfeel of this one--enough carbonation to balance the fullness.

Again, I don't see the complaint here. It's not a home run, but it does get the guy to first.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Weird little bottle, but I do really like the bottle cap and the quote underneath it: Cheers to 12oz curls!

A: Pours a clear golden color with lots of small carbonation bubbles released to the top. A 1.5 finger white head formed on top, but quickly reduced to a thin layer of foam on top. Splotchy lacing down the sides.

S: A little bit of hop presence, but seems lacking compared to most IPA aromas, very little bit of orange. Would have guessed it for a weak pale ale actually. Has a sort of funky grain aroma, and not in a pleasant way.

T: Similarly disappointing. Somewhat bitter with no citrus and just a touch of pine. Very grainy and bready with a little bit of caramel. Bitter finish.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not very smooth at all, actually a little difficult to drink.

O: Not a good IPA at all, glad I only got one bottle. The best part about this beer is the bottle cap.

2.43/5  rDev -25%

Appears copper amber hue with an off white cream colored head that leaves even solid rings of lacing throughout the pour. Aroma contains faint citrus pince hop aroma with a slight buttery touch of malt to it, the aroma overall seems a bit toned down for an IPA. Taste has some off metallic along with a lot of bitterness only with minimal malt sweetness detected to balance the bitter flvor, in my opinion this beer just didn't taste good. Mouthfeel is thin a bit watery in fact, not impressed but I don't expect much from Redhook these days. Drinkability from this mass produced IPA is I will pass and go for a classic representation like a Hop Devil.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

I have to say that overall I was surprised by this beer. Coming from such a larger brewery, I didn’t think that it would be able to deliver the flavor profile it did. To me this is a typical, though slightly tame, IPA. If your bottle is going to be like the one I got, it’s worth trying.

3.06/5  rDev -5.6%

On draft at Xchange in D.C.

The beer is a light orange / yellow color and appears clear with mild effervescence. The aroma is rather weak, with a light dose of hops and citrus. The flavor is average, and could be bolder. The hop presence is pretty subdued and tame. The finish has a subtle odd note with a hint of alcohol. Overall, a mediocre example of the style. I won't order this again.

3.74/5  rDev +15.4%

Thanks, beeragent, for getting me off of the hook! It does, indeed, come in a CAN and I join you in this Serving Type, having scored some at Pinocchio's in Media on Friday. Let nothing stand in The CANQuest's (TM) way!

From the CAN: "Long Hammer IPA is a big fan of dry hopping, which sounds much dirtier than it is."; "Est. 1981 Seattle"; "Weighs less to pack out than in".

I CAN't believe my CANfusion! I dry-hopped both of yesterday's Dirty Blondes w/my Long Hammer! Tonight, Long Hammer goes BOOM!

The Crack was a total surprise as it was a) brimful and b) foamy as all get-out. This was a fresh CAN that had been refrigerated up until I bought it and directly after I got home following the two-hour trip. Upon settling, I employed the inverted Glug which netted me two fingers of tawny head with good retention. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden-yellow. Nose smelled of minty, grassy hops and my mouth was watering in anticipation. Mouthfeel was slightly thin, but the taste was purely hops in the mouth. It had a mostly peppermint taste, but there was a nice grassiness, also. Finish was dry and tasty with the hops lingering well after the swallow. I would definitely give this some cooler space, either at the beach or on Hula in the Coola Day (01 Feb, annually).

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours light golden yellow with a thin head that sticks around. Some lacing sticks to glass.

The smell is of light citrus with a touch of lemon zest. Bready notes come through. Smells more like an APA.

The taste is of light citrus with floral notes and a lemon zest. Bready malt balances it out. Almost too much so. Lackluster finish.

It has something of a body to it, but the taste flees off the palate.

This one is weak. It seems caught between APA and IPA (an APA with higher alcohol, which to its credit is pretty well hidden)? Whatever...with so many solid IPA's out there, why bother ...

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

A little backstory, before beginning: back in the early-early '90's, I was just getting my feet wet in the wide, wonderful world of beer, and cartoonist Peter Bagge was inaugurating his newest comic book series, "Hate." In the first issue, protagonist Buddy Bradley admits that he has become something of a "beer snob", being among all of the "mini-breweries" of the Pacific Northwest and displays a bottle of Redhook Ballard Bitter. Next time I shopped for beer, I grabbed a 6'er, curious to try Buddy's beer, and what do you know, I liked it, and for some years the BB had a regular run in my refridgerator's rotation.
But times change...I taste it now anew, for the first time in years...
clear, pale amber hue, 1/2" silky white head, with copious bubbles.
Aroma: soapy, and slightly sweet, minor fruit, muted peach, muffled apricot, nothing to speak of, really...
Taste: more soap! a bit floral, herbal, I can taste the hops on the tongue, (Centennial?), but they are so small, and disappear so quickly, that it barely counts! There's a cameo of spiciness,(a hint of ginger, even cinnamon) and a fairly decent initial texture,but the body is too, too thin for my taste, and this brew's miniature charms drift away like a leaf in an autumn gust. It's not terrible at all, but I can't really see that "IPA" belongs on the label, not anymore. I remember it being bigger and bolder than this!
Yes, times change. Buddy Bradley, the former slacker spokesmodel, is now married with a daughter, and the Redhook Ale Brewery has been practically bought out and wussified by Anheuser-Busch, and that cool, stubby brown bottle is now a tall, green-labeled longneck.
Cheers to what once was, and to my next, better beer. (hmm, there's a growler of Masala Mama in the fridge, calling my name...)

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Slightly hazy golden color with white head. Aroma has some fruity, tropical hops and some butter biscuits. Taste is balanced, you get the hops and also the malts. Aftertaste gets quite bitter. Quite watery for 6.2% abv but overall it's a decent IPA.

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a pale gold with a big, dense, foamy head that has good retention. The nose is lightly malty with a big citrusy, piny aroma. The flavor opens up with some faint malt, bread and grapefruit but is then quickly overcome by big, spicy, bitey, piny, earthy hops. The bitterness lingers on the palate for a while. The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied and crisp with good carbonation.

The flavor here is rather one dimensional and unbalanced. I think some more malt backbone would help. Overall though, it's very drinkable and ultimately enjoyable. It's just not as flavorful and balanced as I would have liked.

2.72/5  rDev -16%

Never reviewed it so here it goes. Beer poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass (rogue). Beer has a big white head of small and medium bubbles, moderate to low carbonation and is yellow with a slight haze. Looks fine.

Beer smells like nothing -- well it's a little malty.

Beer is medium bodied with almost no hop flavor and all hop bitterness. it is mildly malt -- I'm really disappointed. I haven't had this beer in years and I remember liking it...oh wait that's Redhock IPA, nevermind, this beer sucks.

3.17/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured on-tap and served in a pint glass, the beer is a bright yellow-orange coloring with a thin, filmy head that clings strongly to the glass. Lemon and orange aromas, effervescent in feel. The taste is light, sweet citrus tinged malt with a blast of peppery dry hops shortly after. Green and bitter throughout, with a rustic, peppered, and bitter aftertaste. The finish is dry and peppered, leaving the tongue slightly puckered.

3.52/5  rDev +8.6%

12 ouncer , with bottled on dating (04 03 07) etched onto the front label, Pours very clear, light honey amber, with a near white head, leaves long sliding strands of lacing. On the nose I pick up respectable wiffs of leafy fresh hops. Easy drinking and fairly enjoyable ale. Hops moderatly evident, resiny. A wee bit thin in the middle, watery, I would say. This one is missing the complexity, and malt backbone + hop crunch of higher scoring exemplars of the style. A decent sessioner or "in a pinch IPA" but I will always try to find a true "craft beer" if available. Support the little guys, I say..."Eat the Rich"

3.65/5  rDev +12.7%

The Longhammer was a breath of fresh air compared to the other beers on tap at the Redhook Brewery. I say this because the ESB, Golden, Mudslinger, and Copper ales all seemed to taste similiar. The longhammmer was a clear golder beer with pining/citrus nose. The taste is dominated by pine, not a whole lot of citrus. The mouthfeel is good and I could do a session with this beer.

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

03/25/07- Purchased at Safeway in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness date found. Supposedly there is, but I couldn't find any after a minute of looking. Poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Medium to light pils yellow colored pour. 1/2 inch head which settles with a light rim. Light lace spots left.

Smell- Some resemblence of hops. Not really outwardly scented. A bit of pine hops and a bit of minor bitter lemon. A bit grainy as well.

Taste- Hops are predominant. some light caramel malt is present, but mostly some weak flavored pine and light grapefruit hops. Not very assertive.

Mouthfeel- Kinda seltzery with a mid to high carbonation rate. Not really any aftertaste.

Drinkability- Ehhh, will pass on this one again if seen. Not anything special here. But, is was an IPA, so if I see a new one, I have to try it.

3.6/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This isn't the best IPA to be sure, but I didn't find it as bad as reviews indicate. Redhook IPA is light copper in color with an average head. The aroma is west coast hoppy, not as intense or of as high quality as possible for the style. The taste if of citrusy hops with some floral hop action mixed in. Mild maltiness is also in the mix, especially noted in the finish. Bitterness is present, but not enough to totally ravage the palate. Drinkability is very good, probably because the bitterness isn't incredably high. Either the recipe has changed or this beer is underated, because this is tasty enough to deserve better than a 3.04 average.

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

At first I thought this was actually a decent IPA with a big of hops. Maybe on par with Flying Dog's IPA. As it warmed up a bit, the hops fade to an unpleasantly low level where they're just a bitter herb-like taste. Meh, here I thought Redhook might have made a decent IPA. Alas. I guess I'd call this an extra pale ale based on other XPA's I've had like Summit's out of MN.

4.02/5  rDev +24.1%

The beer pours a light gold color with thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It has a sweet malt scent with floral hop notes. The taste is fine. It is dry and hoppy. There is a good balance of malts and hops here; a pleasant tasting ale. The mouthfeel is outstanding. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good IPA. I would buy this one again.

4.18/5  rDev +29%

Bought of six pack of this as soon as I saw it.
Poured into a pint glass. Seems a bit light in the body color. Dark yellow/straw. Some hints of orange or burgundy. Light fluffy head, almost like a Czech pilsner.
Smells light. A bit of hops is present. Not very piney or citrus. Can make out the malt and some biscuit, slightly.
Taste comes through with the hops. Not overpowering and very gradual. A nice movement from the sweet malt to the dry hop range. Not too much pine or citrus, just about right.
Drinks well, nothing too strong or weak.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery