Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Ratings: 3,297 |  Reviews: 1,193
3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a clear golden color with a nice two finger white head which gives way to some good lacing on the glass. The aroma is faint, what is there is a floral and citrus hop smell. The tatse is pretty subdued for an ipa, no big hop bite, a small floral hop is blended with a weak grainy malt. The taste is a standard ipa taste nothing to blow you away. The mouthfeel is moderatley carbonated. The drinkability is okay, it isn't a hard drink, its mellow and smooth. There isn't though a big hop presence that an ipa drinker wants, not enough to keep me interested.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours a clear amber color with a two-finger head. It looks exactly like one would expect an IPA to look.

S- Smells good, slightly sweet, and floral.

T - Tastes just like it smells, sweet and floral

M - This ale sits well on the palate, round and smooth, not too light, and not toio heavy.

I like this brew and although it isn't one of my favorites, I will be buying it again.

3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

Wow, I'm glad I picked this up before I read the reviews, otherwise I might have been put off. Picked up a sixer on sale at Ralph's, bottled on Dec. 08, 2010.

Anyway, I can't understand the hate. Definitely a moderately good beer, even if it doesn't compete with other craft IPAs.

Cloudy gold with a medium head and average lacing.

Smell is barely there but decent when you catch a whiff of it. Sour pine.

Definitely doesnt taste like an average IPA, but that doesn't mean that it tastes bad. Orange-y with a bitterness that fades in and out. Malts (or what i believe to be malts) are quite present in the background. Aftertaste is good, not great.

Feels solid in the mouth, and drinkability is good, although at 6.5% you might want to moderately pace yourself.

2.3/5  rDev -29%

Good initial taste and mouthfeel. Not overly hoppy. Have since found out the reason that it's not overly hoppy is because it's not really an IPA! IPA fans steer clear. Initial aftertaste is OK, but it lingers and tasted like a bad American lite beer and grossed me out. Compare that aftertaste with a true IPA where it's a nice blend of hops and fruits. Not impressed with this beer especially when compared to real IPAs.

3.74/5  rDev +15.4%

First off, I drink my beer from an authentic German bierkrug with a pewter lid. Seems people don't like this beer, but I cannot find anything wrong with it. I bought it due to limit choices but was not disappointed. The aroma was amazing when I would open the lid. People also say its not an IPA and I disagree. I guess they use Columbus hops, which are very strong, bitter, and big...but whatever they are I think they get the job done. Nice alcohol content and the taste is very balanced. So yeah, it doesn't punch you in the face like some IPAs, but it's very hoppy and balanced. I wouldn't choose this over many other IPAs, but if it were you're only choice, it's good. Cheers!

2.72/5  rDev -16%

Never reviewed it so here it goes. Beer poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass (rogue). Beer has a big white head of small and medium bubbles, moderate to low carbonation and is yellow with a slight haze. Looks fine.

Beer smells like nothing -- well it's a little malty.

Beer is medium bodied with almost no hop flavor and all hop bitterness. it is mildly malt -- I'm really disappointed. I haven't had this beer in years and I remember liking it...oh wait that's Redhock IPA, nevermind, this beer sucks.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

A: golden yellow, clear, with very little head, no lacing
S: orange, lemony, very fragrant
T: I really like this flavor combination: bracing, very flavorful IPA: rose petals, pine needles, grapefruit; very complex, a consistent flavor profile even in the aftertaste
M: rather inert

Overall, this is a solid IPA; I'm not certain why others haven't cared for the taste, since it catches my fancy.

3.2/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear golden color with a fluffy 2 finger head, outstanding lacing. The head and lacing are great, color and clarity leave much to be desired. Aroma is simple, yet succulent. Citrus hits the nose, with the typical hop aroma, and some lemon zest. Taste is of citrus, lemon, hop, not much malt. This beer is very, very simple, unchallenging to the palate, but it is not bad. Good bitterness in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, subtle, and moderately carbonated. Drinkabilty is great for an ABV, especially of this ABV.

Redhook is a brewery that is not trendy to like. But it is solid, simple, and reliable, and it is a great cheap alternative if you just want a frew beers to kick back and relax with without having to devote too much thought to what is in your glass.

4.17/5  rDev +28.7%

Long Hammer IPA has a medium-to-thick, off-white, foamy head, and a cloudy, orange appearance, with moderate carbonation and fuzzy, white particulate matter floating throughout. The aroma is all citrus hops, and the taste is hop heavy as well, but some breadiness is detected in the middle. Mouth-feel is even bodied, and Long Hammer IPA finishes wet and spicy. I found this ale to be mild and interesting. It's worth a try.

RJT

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

I bought the Reedhook Brewers Choice pack from Costco... 24 beers for $21. How could I go wrong? Well, that's what I first thought until I saw some of the reviews around here. Then I was worried. But after trying this beer, I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this beer for what it was, and not just comparing it to other IPAs.

Appearance - Plain. Enough said. Very mediocre in this area, just gold, very little cloudiness, and very little lacing.

Smell - Decent, but nothing to write home about. Not as "in your face" as other IPAs, but a nice floral smell. Nothing offputting.

Taste - I actually like the taste alot, unlike a lot of people on here. It's obviously not a very strong to the tastebuds... but it's pleasant to the tastebuds. Definitely more floral and citrus hops. Very little pine. Hardly any malts. Nice and clean though, very little aftertaste. This beer is great for when you're in the mood to drink a beer with the flavors of an IPA but not as overpowering as an IPA usually is.

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer really starts to excel. Can you say smooth? This beer goes down so easy it isn't even funny. Easily one of the most "refreshing" beers I've ever drank. It almost feels hydrating in a way when you're drinking it. So light bodied and the perfect amount of carbonation. This is the "Bud Light" of IPAs. Feels watery in the mouth, and in this beer's case that's a good thing. This might be the only IPA I've ever tried that I'd use in beer pong. Awesome.

Drinkability - Feels hydrating, smooth, moderate level ABV, little aftertaste, amazingly light for the style, clean, crisp... the most sessionable IPA ever made, at least that I've ever tried or heard of.

So pretty much even though this beer is a let down if you're looking for something to wow you with it's intense flavors... this beer is AMAZING if you just want to get drunk off beer for cheap but don't want to suffer through similarly priced bullcrap such as Miller or Bud. I would DEFINITELY buy this again for that very reason.

Check it out next time you want something cheap and light to drink in mass quantities.

3.1/5  rDev -4.3%

I consider myself the lord of IPA's, in a small town who is challenged to shelving the goods. Which hasn't stopped me from tasting and such...IPAs are golden and crafted on levels of distinction and taste. And when it comes to this IPA, I would rather crush some Ranger IPA. This IPA hits, but after awhile...the flavor doesn't continue as much as having the first taste.

Had in a bottle, looks like it would pour very lame and clear.

Smell is there, just like any strong righteous IPA.

Taste has value at the start, but after a couple bottles...it's the same taste as the start...no hop to hop 2.

Mouthfeel is there.

If you have heartburn...and a man with balls, drink this. But after awhile...the taste will roll flat...And thats why I suggest the Ranger.

2.3/5  rDev -29%

I had this on-tap at Bailey's bar in Chapel Hill, NC. Nothing very special. I'm very surprised that the establishment chose this Portsmouth, NH brewery as their only IPA on tap. It's an odd choice considering that the Smuttynose Finestkind IPA (perhaps the finest IPA I've had) is also brewed in Portsmouth, NH.

Appearance: a golden amber color. I had it on tap, but have seen the bottle packaging and was not impressed. Very plain and bland label.

Smell: Even bouquet with no distinctive flavors breaking through.

Taste: Much milder than most IPA's I have had. Had little bite and needed more hops.

Mouthfeel: It was not very refreshing and did felt like it had been left out for a day.

Drinkability: There is just not much to be said for this beer. Lacked distinguishing qualities.

Opt for the much better, all-around Smuttynose IPA.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours hazy gold in color with a creamy 1 finger beige head; really good foamy lacing that clings to the side.

Smells of floral hops, piney hops, sweet malt, orange peel, coriander and light grains. Pretty hoppy overall nose with malt mixed in.

Tastes of sweet malt, floral hops, piney hops, orange peel, coriander, caramel, some fruits like sour apple, and light toasted grains. The hops in the nose were stronger than the hops in the flavor and this seemed more like a pale ale than an IPA.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth with light carbonation and a medium body that has a crisp and almost watery feel.

Highly drinkable, this goes down easy with ease and is very tasty. Compared to other IPA's this is on the weak side, but still a good one to drink all night.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

144th review on BA
Bottle to pint

*left over from Christmas eve that brother in law brought over*

App- This was a darker yellow with a 1/2 in head that had some nice lacing.

Smell- A little funky on this one. Spicy with some citrus I think was grapefruit or nectarine?

Taste- Much more malt than hops on this one. A very odd taste with some bread and hints of lime. Just didnt work for me.

Mouth- It's light, crisp and water and bland. Not a good thing.

Drink- I'm not a fan of their starter IPA. A big let down for me.

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap "Redhook IPA"

A - Yellow thin, small head and no lace.

S - Smells more malty than ipa'ness. That being said its kinda malty/lager/ale'ish and not hoppy and citrus.

T - Some citrus notes, but more thin and no to much hop flavor, kinda thin and not much bitter aftertaste.

M - Good, medium amount of carbonation and fizz, goes down smooth.

Drinks easy for an ipa, could drink a few with non-ipa enthusiasts, maybe a good ipa beginner ale.

3.52/5  rDev +8.6%

Time to start going through all the random-ass beers I got as Christmas gifts...

Pour is very light translucent orange, almost yellow. Head is small, white and soapy, turns to a ring pretty quickly leaving minimal lacing. Slight sediment if you look closely.

Fruity and earthy/dank hops in the nose, a little faint but not bad.

Surprising hop presence...grassy, citrus, earthy. Pale and bready malts are nice but doesn't mix quite right. Biscuity finish. Earthy-ness starts to dominate the smell and taste as it warms.

Mouthfeel could be better. Too prickly and bitter on the tongue, flavors never seem quite balanced. Not much of a booze taste.

I don't really get all the hate for this beer, I really didn't find it bad. Not great, but definitely not bad. Paired fine with a simple sandwich and veggies.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

The first time I had one of these it was on tap, at a Mexican restaurant and it worked perfectly with my chili relleno. Had I given it a review at the time it would be an A+. So I had to try the bottle:

Appearance: Nothing special--an almost cloudy straw color. It keeps a small creamy head which I like.

Smell: Grapefruit and nothing else.

Taste: Mild for an IPA. Nothing jumps out at you, but there's also nothing negative at all about it. A great grapefruit taste that the nose hints at from the start.

Mouth-feel: Light, with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drink-ability: A perfect summer beer, or a beer to pair with spicy food. I like it a lot, and it won't be the last time I down a few.

12oz brown bottle with an embossed label dated 7/07/10

Redhook Longhammer IPA poured a clear golden color with a ½ finger white head that formed delicate lacing. The nose is grassy, of citrusy hops and light pale malts. The taste begins with citrus, then grassy and ends in a light soap like flavor.

Longhammer IPA is a very average and basic IPA.

3.18/5  rDev -1.9%

Longhammer is one of the first IPAs I ever tried. Felt it was worthy of a revisit, this time from the tap, into a standard pint glass.

Pours a perfectly clear light orange with a frothy head nearly two fingers tall that recedes to about half its size then doesn't go anywhere, leaving thick bubbled sheets of lace.

Citrusy hops prickle the nose with lots of grapefruit and spicy lemon. Bright, snappy and solid, but nothing special.

The hops don't follow to the flavor, however. There seems to be a lot more pale malt here than I got from the nose, giving me a strong flavor of crackers before lime, just a tiny hint of bitter grapefruit, and herbal basil sneak in. The finish is subtly sweet.

The mouthfeel increases my sense of this beer's insubstantiality: light, watery body; delicate, tickly carbonation.

I can see how Longhammer is so popular with the masses, as it's definitely an approachable IPA. But for this beer drinker, big flavors and hops that smack you in the mouth are more important than approachability. Longhammer is decent, but nothing more.

3.52/5  rDev +8.6%

A- A cloudy rusty golden amber with fluffy white head and descent retention. Nice lacing.

S- Citrus and floral hops in the front. Slight hint of pine. Background of sweet malt.

T- Bitter front end followed by floral hopps and pine. Sweet undertones balance things out. Grasses and earthy.

M- Crips and refreshing with a clean bite of hops. Effervescent with a dry finish.

D- Very refreshing and drinkable. Perfect for a chugger after mowing the grass.

4.26/5  rDev +31.5%

A-gold with a tint of amber. thin cream head. fairly light for an IPA

S-impressively strong hops and citrus presence. I'm actually quite pleased with this aroma

T-hits with a fairly strong hit of hops and citrus, this however ends the experience. there is almost no after-taste and no bitterness. over all its a smooth IPA that is great for beginners.

M-medium carbonation with a great creamy finish

D-hmm i actually like this a lot....i'm very confused by the other peoples' reviews...the taste isn't too complex but its otherwise a great drink. i could have many glasses of this with complete satisfaction

3.06/5  rDev -5.6%

On draft at Xchange in D.C.

The beer is a light orange / yellow color and appears clear with mild effervescence. The aroma is rather weak, with a light dose of hops and citrus. The flavor is average, and could be bolder. The hop presence is pretty subdued and tame. The finish has a subtle odd note with a hint of alcohol. Overall, a mediocre example of the style. I won't order this again.

3.11/5  rDev -4%

Bottle shared with my roommate.

A: The pour is a clear golden color with a fluffy white head that clings to the wall of the glass.

S: The nose starts off with citrus hops, floral hops, and perhaps a bit of urine. Some bread and cracker type malts are present as well.

T: This is moderately bitter, but not necessarily in a good way. Bitter grain flavors, primarily overcooked bread, along with a bitter pine flavor from the hops. Some mild citrus undertones as well as some floral notes.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation after the beer comes up to temperature.

D: Not really my favorite IPA, but it's not as terrible as some of the ratings indicate. But it is about as average as its score here.

2.45/5  rDev -24.4%

Not sure I can say I am disappointed since I never read about this beer in the first place so there was no hype to live up to. However, I am disappointed that I randomly chose this beer due to a limited selection at an El Segundo liquor store on Main street for Thanksgiving. I guess I would prefer it over a Budweiser though.

Appearance- No personality. Slightly cloudy brown and about one and a half fingers of short lived head.

Smell- Minimal hints of the hops and malt but not distinguished enough to form its own personality.

Taste- Lacks distinguishment in taste. Hard to discribe because there are no well defined characteristics that stand out. Bitterness is present but lacks a true IPA's attributes.

Mouthfeel- An unsatisfying dry feel. Bitterness is slightly there and no real punch in carbonation.

Drinkability- Goes down rather easily but just lacks the IPA quenchness.

3.28/5  rDev +1.2%

This was the second of the three beers I had on Thanksgiving.

I guess this was formerly "Redhook IPA." Hmmm.... I just found that out and had always wondered where that beer went.

A: Poured a fairly cloudy, rust orange color, with a nice 1-2 inch head after a fairly hard pour. Tons of carbonation in the mix.

S: Sweet and fruity, but without the usual "asprin-like tingle" that I commonly find with American IPAs.

T: Citrus for sure, however, in place of the usual hop bitterness, I found this one fairly sugary and syrupy. Despite the overwhelming sucrose content on the front part of the sip, the finish was fairly smooth. Once I got used to it, this got better.

M: The lacing was fairly substantial on the glass, and in the mouth. I though that from the looks of it in the beginning that the carbonation would help cut through some of that cloyingness. Sadly, I was mistaken somewhat. Still, the fruitiness was of the fresh variety.

D: Before I really got into craft beer, this was my go-to IPA (by its former name of course). However, tastes change and people change, and this one just doesn't have the same appeal it once did for me.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery