Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Ratings: 3,297 |  Reviews: 1,193
3.54/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very pale in complexion this poured a near straw yellow. The head was thick and creamy for avery short time before is was lost altogether.

The nose is clean with tea leaf and lemon, a bit of pine and some earthy herbal tones.

The flavor is clean as well with the same malt tea leaf, lemon, piney resin, herbal and floral hop notes and a dry caramel.

I do praise this for a superb drinkability, smooth readiness and a relatively low carbonated bite.

This beer is well suited to slam the 7 pct ABV and it takes very little room in your system for repeated beers.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

3.11/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

2.75/5  rDev -15.1%

4.5/5  rDev +38.9%

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

2.5/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Easily, one of the worst IPAs I have ever had. Where are the hops?

2.97/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

For an IPA this is a poor beer. My scale is different in that I don't consider anything made with rice or corn a beer. So the really crappy stuff claiming to be beer isn't on my scale skewing the results. (e.g. Bud, Miller , Coors all have missing values - alternative would be negative numbers)

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery