Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,170 | Ratings: 3,234
3.35/5  rDev +3.4%

A: Pours slight amber/golden with slight chill haze. Good lacing with a good 1" head. Foam lingers on the top of the beer forever. Definitely the way I like my IPA's to pour

S: Good hop aroma. Very tradional American IPA with use of Cascades. Slight Citrus and Grapefruit aromas. Very pleasant but nothing overly intriguing.

T: Taste is hoppy with good bitterness that isn't lingering. Good body and malt notes.

M & D: Like above, this beer has a pleasant mouthfeel. It is not lingering. Its a clean crisp IPA without being overly bitter. Malt is present but is just a transport mechanism for the hops. Very drinkable.

4.32/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow I can't believe this beer is getting such low reviews. I really enjoyed this, albeit not your typical HOP PACKED IPA....

Pours a bright gold color with a small white head that appears to leave some nice lacing. The first smell that rushes to my olfactory is oranges, it’s followed by pine, hops and a faint smell of malt. The initial taste is once again is a citrus and stays until it’s followed by 2 other flavor stages. The first one is sort of a hop and malt type flavor then it’s followed by a bitter hop flavor and ends with a nice citrus flavor. Definitely a very surprisingly nice beer, not exactly full of the type of hops I’ve come to expect from IPAs

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Redhook IPA poured a golden yellow with a small white head from a brown twelve ounce bottle. Smell is okay, not really hoppy. I like the taste, but it is not to style. I find the taste fairly enjoyable, a little sweet toward the end, some citrus, hoppy bitterness definitely present. I wouldn't drink it everyday, but I don't think it's bad.

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a pale gold while emitting a reasonable head which laces the glass with a vengeance.

Smell is grassy and barn-like. Not a lot of hop presence in the nose, more pale malt than anything.

Somewhat languid showing on the palate. Taste is of tonic water and grassy hops - a somewhat out-of-balance concoction. Giving respect where respect is due the slick mouthfeel makes this brew quite drinkable, especially cconsidering the abv. Not at all bad, just an average IPA that won't roundhouse you in the face, which is sometimes preferable.

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A Safeway Club Card burning a hole in my pocket suckered me into purchasing a 12-pack at Safeway in Natomas, Sacramento.

A: Strange - golden, but not rich and caramelly looking like my favorite Boonville Hop Ottin' IPA. Poured into Bud Light Tahoe pub glass (appropriate), resulting in a 3/4 inch head.

S: Socks? A 1967 quarter minted in Denver but sniffed in Tuscaloosa in present day?

T: Slurping the head and there are some piquant hop notes. All right! What a deal! Let's drink. Hmm... What the!?!? Where'd the hops go? The other reviewer who mentioned that this "tastes like they squeezed lemon into it and added vodka" is spot-on. Awful, no clean hop notes, lots of metal. Harsh.

M: So angry.

O: Buy this beer and you'll be sorry. With the new Bel-Air in town dealing 22-oz pounders of Hop Ottin', and Lagunitas IPA readily available, Sacramento-Natomas IPA folks should wisely stow their Safeway Club Card and pony up for a real IPA. I'll be saving the other 11 of my 12-pack for the VERY latter stages of a party.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Picked up a sixer at the local grocery looking for an exciting new IPA to try. I was neither blown away nor disappointed.
I was surprised with the appearance of this beer. I expected to see the typical amber/coppery color that most IPA's display, but this one poured a very light golden color not far away from your macro lagers. Very clear, which means this beer was very likely filtered and had some of its flavor stripped away. Head was quick to dissipate.
Smell was very pleasant. Hops take center stage. I was hit with a very aggressive piney/grassy hop aroma.
I thought the taste was pretty good as long as you are not hung up on a beer style fitting exactly between a predetermined set of numbers. Hop presence was definately there with some moderate bitterness. Not much in the way of malt, mostly hops. I appreciate a beer that is on the heavy side of its style as I'm sure most beer geeks do, so I don't see the need to criticize an offering that is on the light side or maybe even down a class on the style scale. I'm sure that if this beer was flirting with DIPA range that there would not be any complaints.
Mouthfeel was somewhat lacking for an IPA, and probably the least appealing attribute of this beer.
Drinkability was good. The light mouthfeel will not wear out the palate, and the flavor was very likable. I could definately session this beer.
Overall, I thought this was a solid offering. Probably not something that is going to blow away the veteran beeradvocate, but it is a nice drinking beer. Something that could introduce the macro drinker to hops and lead them on the path of righteousness.

3.57/5  rDev +10.2%

Pours a rich medium amber hue with light foam and moderate lacing. Fresh hops are easily detectable on the nose, as they should be with a nice pine and juniper quality that is very pleasant. The taste is moderately hoppy and crisp; quite enjoyable and nicely bitter. This beer is a middle of the road; well perhaps a further up the road IPA in terms of its structure and character. It is not over the top nor is it too sedentary, providing the consumer with the true character and essence of a good IPA kept well in proportion.
Mouthfeel is slightly viscous and coating, with sweet malt residing on the finish.
This is a nice and balanced IPA that will certainly satisfy all but the greediest of hopologists.

2.63/5  rDev -18.8%

had this in fl. one of the very few half way decent beers I could find in the stores before I went to total winefrom the bottle. poured a golden orange with a small white head. aroma hops, citrus, leang towards orange and not much going on after that. flavor hops, citrus no leaning to grapefruit. for a inexpenive beer not to bad.

1.51/5  rDev -53.4%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Golden, transparent, like a Macro-lager. This is not what most IPAs look like. Seems thin and weak. Head it OK, but definitely an overall below average appearance

Smell = Very unappealing. Reminds me of tuna fish with a bit of apples mixed in. Yuck. Not what I want in a beer. There's a bit of crispness to it but it doesn't save anything.

Taste= ugh..this is a terrible beer. It's sour and putrid without any dominant, clean hops. Tastes like these just squeezed a bunch of lemon juice into it and added some vodka. Terrible bitter, pungent aftertaste. This could possibly be the worst IPA i've ever had and is going down the drain.

Overall = AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

2.44/5  rDev -24.7%

Cloudy, murky orange colored. This beer poured and unbelievable, attractive 2 inch head with significant lacing.

Nose is slightly sour and hoppy with a burnt citrusy aroma.

Citrusy taste with a decent hop component but has the sour taste that many cask conditioned beer tend to have that turns me off on the mouthfeel and drinkability department.

Overall not a very good IPA but worth trying anything in cask.

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a clear golden color, thin head fades to a ring with moderate lacing.

There are hops present in the aroma, but they are at the way back, behind a caramel sweetness with some grains and citrus fruit. Seems pretty mild on the hops for an IPA.

Flavor is very mild, this is a very "easy" drinking IPA. This would be a great introductory beer for somebody just getting into IPA's. but for me, I'll grab it if it's on a good sale and I need a session beer for a Sunday afternoon.

3.32/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a light caramel, had to pour straight down the middle in order to produce a meaningful head on this one. Poured at 45 degrees for the first two I had in the six-pack, and almost no head formed. Nice lacing, very clear.

Smells of fresh hops... has another aroma in there somewhere unrelated to the hops that I associate with homebrew, but I can't pin it down.

Tastes like drinking a sweet hop tea. Little in the way of malt flavors going on. Hop flavor, followed by hop bitterness.

Not exceedingly drinkable... Needs more carbonation and more malt flavor, and a dryer finish. If nothing else, though, a good way to show non-beer-drinkers what hops actually taste like.
Mouthfeel is a little on the sweet side, and not as carbonated as I'd prefer. Long, bitter finish.

3.53/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle marked 011006, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear, orangish yellow amber with ½ inch pillow like head that isn’t going anywhere, thick lacing coats most of the inside of the glass

S—bitter hops, citrus, spice, pepper, some sourness, maybe some sweetness, flowery, all of these fragrances are mixed together pretty well

T—pepper bitterness is strong, grapefruit is there, some sweet fruity flavors come out in the middle, finishes dry, the bitterness is really strong and dominate in this one

M—a little thin actually, light/medium bodied, good carbonation

D—not a bad IPA. I will enjoy the 6er I bought….probably 3 at a time.

3.09/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass the beer is a very pale amber. Almost golden, clear, almost looks like a macro lager. The beer had a thin head that faded to a small dollop on the liquid with a ring around the glass. Patchy lacing at best.

Smell: Aromas of hops. Smells more like an IPA than it looks. Scent of pine, a touch floral, and even a little citrousy (lemon zest). The smell has my hopes up.

Taste: Very one dimensional, all hop bitterness from the middle to the end. The bitterness is nice, not too over the top, but the piney, hops just get to me by the end.

Mouthfeel: Touch dry, clean finish without a lingering aftertaste. Lighter in body.

Drinkability: Not a terrible beer, just not a very good IPA in my book. I knew it would not be great but I like the ESB so I thought I'd give this a try. I was disappointed, even though I only paid 4.99. There are much better beers available for just a few $$ more.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm surprised to see the reviews on this are as low as they are. I had this on tap at Five Spot on Euclid Ave. in Atlanta. Was a nice golden colour with a snow white head. A little cloudy. Had nice lacing. Big citrus hoppy smell. Lots of grapefruit / hops in the taste and a nice malty finish. I thought it was quite refreshing and very sessionable.

3.48/5  rDev +7.4%

Pours an orange to light golden color with a finger of white head that falls to a very light, but full coat over top. Clarity is excellent and just a few bubbles from the bottom are present. There is more lacing left as the head recedes than I wold expect. Nose is very fresh, with a wet hop character to it. Behind this, there is a moderate caramel and toasty bread character with a hint of orangey and peppery hop. Smells nice, just not as bold as I want my AIPA's to be. Flavor starts as a very solid melanoidan infused toastyness, moving to more caramel sweetness with a light citrusy hop that transitions to a peppery hop, finishing with a moderate, but clean, bitterness. A slight metallic bite hits, but doesn't stay on too long. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Good balance and feels about right. I'd still like to see a bit more brilliance from the hops. Its just lacking some of the pop that I like in American IPA's. Its not bad, just could become a better IPA with a different hop profile.

2.91/5  rDev -10.2%

Crisp, light amber pour with a decent, eggshell colored head that quickly settles to a thin ring, leaving scant laceing.

Aroma is light caramel grains, bread, and floral and grassy, herbal hops. Very little going on in this department.

Flavor is a decent balance between light malt and roast grain noted, and floral, light citrus, and herbal hop bitterness. Nasty metallic aftertaste is quite unappealing.

Body is almost medium, heavily carbonated and coarse. Overall, a very plain IPA that is suitable for quaffing when on a $5.50/6-pack budget.

3.77/5  rDev +16.4%

There are two Redhook IPA entries on BA-- one from each of their breweries. Since I had this on draft, I'm not quite sure which entry I should be reviewing. However, I'd guess that they're both made the same way.

This beer is pale, pale copper in color, crystal clear, with a low head. The nose shows bright, fresh, floral, and fruity PNW hops. I think "bouquet" is an appropriate word. That being said, it is a rather subdued bouquet. The aroma is fine-- I'd just like a little more of it. On the palate a sharp bitterness is followed up by sweet citrus hops and a nice, juicy (again, if kinda light) malt profile. The descent into the medium finish is smooth and easy, kinda like how this beer drinks. As others have pointed out, this is at the low end of what is to be considered an IPA, but I still found it to be perfectly drinkable.

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This must be what happened to Ballard Bitter. Did they change the name for marketing purposes?

A - perfectly clear orange/light amber. Sort of an orangey, glowing straw color. Head is thin but full, lots of tiny little bubbles. Little or no lacing.

S - smells pretty dang good, like an American IPA should. Lots of citrusy, grapefruity notes. Smells like an orange rind. Also some floral esters in there, as well as toasty malt, biscuits, yeast.

T - solid amount of bitterness in this one, but lacking balance. Tart, tangy, grapefruity hops hit you in the mouth and stay there. But little malt flavor, a little thin after the hops. Good strong bitterness, but no sweet compliment.

M - thin bodied, carbonation seems a bit high to me. A little fizzy.

D - a decent, tasty brew. Something to have at a bar when you don't find more adventerous micros. But this beer is missing something as far as malt body goes. Basically an 'above average' beer, which is why I gave it a lot of 3.5's.

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

12oz bottle, this bottle of mine looks like a new much more fresh design.

Appearance: Slightly orange/golden clear. Decent size white head.

Smell: Slightly citrusy hop like aroma. Faint hint of malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fairly carbonated but not overly so.

Taste: Poor hop flavor and a slight malty sweetness on the finish. Looking back over my beer drinking days it is obvious to me now that way back when I first began drinking it was supposed IPA's like this that completely turned me off of liking the style. Today IPA is one of my favorite styles and this was a complete waste of cash.

Drinkability: This could be a session beer for anyone who can get past the taste.

Overall I couldn't have been dissappointed more. I typically drink a Stone IPA or a Victory HopDevil, as these two IPAs are IMO delicious and are available in my area regularly. The RedHook IPA was the only thing called an IPA in the store so I grabbed it hoping to get a hop fix and my lord it was everything but a fix, I needed a hop fix even more after drinking it, good thing I had a Hop Wallup in the fridge. Not recommended by me.

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

This is what happens when you are in a beer bar and you let a"friend" order for you while you hit the head. The bartender was in on it with him and it was served in a pilsner glass. Odd I thought that looks way to dark to be a pilsner, they wouldn't tell me what it was. So I smelled and it was citrusy with a lot of biscuit maltyness, IPA thought I and they laugh at me. I had a few sips and found it not too bad but the flavor was what you would expect from a middle of the road IPA and when I said that it was ok but only so-so they told me what i was dirnking. I have had this many times before but it was not and has never been bad, just so-so. And so it remains easy to drink IPA with nothing remarkable about it.

2.73/5  rDev -15.7%

This beer poured very clear orange/tan body with a small white head that died rather quickly.

Nose was a bit dull. Hints of citrus hops with a sharp biscuit malt flavor.

Taste was of chewy biscuit and mild caramel malt. A really big citrus peel and pine resin hop taste with a surprisingly intense bitterness that lingers for some time. Actual body was light to medium.

A mediocre IPA, not as bad as some reviews make it out to be. It sort of tastes like an decently hopped piney IPA made with a slightly bigger BMC malt base. The bottle shows 6.5% ABV, so obviously it seems they've been working on this beer since the old version. It's drinkable, but again, pretty mediocre.

2.88/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Minimal head is formed and then quickly leaves the scene. Nice carbonation action in the beer. Golden in color.

Smell was a bit rancid. Didnt smell like the beer was old or bad, just not a pleasing aroma. Smelled a bit like brussel sprouts and even a little corn aroma as well. Smelled closer to a lager than an IPA. Didnt get that fruity hop smell. Nice malt aroma but too much malt for an IPA in my opinion.

Taste was just average. Nothing stood out. Minimal hop profile. Fairly light bodied. Nice carbonation in the mouthfeel. An average IPA. Have had worse but there are definitely better offerings out there.

Most redeeming quality of this beer is that it is quite enjoyable as I sit on my back deck on this 72 degree day here in NC.

2.78/5  rDev -14.2%

Nose is midly hoppy. Not nearly as strong as other IPAs. Taste is also quite mild for an IPA. Hops are present, but not very notable. A very mild IPA. This lends slightly to its drinkability since your mouth won't be overly hopped after a couple. Overall, not a good example of the style.

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%

appearance: Pours a .25" white head. The beer is orange-golden in color.

smell: The hop aroma is a mixture of green hops and boiled hop matter, kinda tealike. Some hints of citrus and floral tropical fruit. Not much malt character save for some caramel, the sweetness is moderate.

mouthfeel: Carbonation is medium, and the body on the light side of the medium range.

taste: A tealike, boiled hop character comprises the hop flavor. Some caramel malt gives a light sweetness. A moderate bitterness comes in for the finish.

drinkability: ok, but not a good beer

Bottled on 01/04/06