Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,174 | Ratings: 3,254
2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

This beer finally got me off my butt and motivated me to write a review. And I’m not writing because it is good. As others have stated, calling this an IPA is marketing, plain and simple. If not downright deceit. The only attribute it has that is even comparable to an IPA is the 6.0% alcohol content.

I can detect almost no hops smell, and the only real trace of hops I can detect is a slight bitterness, though it is not harsh or unpleasant.

Overall the malt and hops are fairly balanced, but nothing to get excited about. Although I wouldn’t necessarily say this beer is horrible, it doesn’t do anything for me, and I can't rate it high in any particular category when it is claiming to be someting it clearly isn't. Maybe if they called it a pale ale or something more close to what it really is, I wouldn’t have been so disappointed.

2.59/5  rDev -20.1%

I picked up a mixed case of Redhook in Bellingham, WA (being Canadian, I really appreciate how you can get alcohol at gas stations Stateside), mixed in with pilsners, esbs, and a "copper hook" amber, I believe.

Anyway, as this is the IPA, I had to try it as I love a good IPA these days. This beer sadly, while definitely drinkable, is not one I would come running back to. I just didn't like the aftertaste, nor the actual flavour of the beer as I downed it. It just wasn't exactly what I was looking for.

Some of the other varieties Redhook offers were delicious, but sadly, this IPA goes into my "forgettable" pile.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

This poured to an orange and gold color. The small head vanished quickly, and the lacing was minimal and unremarkable.

Cheap grains were detected in both the smell and taste. The hop content is relatively well balanced, but the overall taste leaves a lot to be desired.

The fairly off taste makes it harder to drink than it should be.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Poured a dark yellow color with a small amount of head that disappeared quickly -- a little hazy, but nothing to set it apart from others. Smelled of yeast, a little citrus/floral, and a small amout of hops. The taste was fairly disappointing. I expected to have a predominant amount of hop and yeast flavor, but was surprised with a fairly bland beer. Mouthfeel and drinkability were okay, but this beer left me questioning why I bought it.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Pours a pale golden color with a fuzzy, boiled rice in a pan looking head, leaving diseased lace as it recedes.

Smells like an adjunct lager with grainy, toasted aromas and a malt skunk. Did I just pour a Molson Canadian?

A skunky, heavy grain bill with corn and barley, tailing with a faint pine note.

Feel is watery, with moderate carbonation, morphing into a light creaminess as it fades into water again.

An undoubtedly boring IPA. This was more like a hoppy lager than anything.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

It pours out to a pale lagerish yellow/amber color with a one inch fluffy head. There's not much of an aroma, more butter than hops. Hmmm, this is a half decent american pale ale maybe, but definitely not an IPA. It's kind of buttery diacetyl again, definitely not a welcome taste to me when enjoying an IPA. The hops show up in the finish with some crisp bitterness. So yeah, an average pale ale to say the least, not an IPA.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this in Warsaw, IN on 2009-12-18

The good news is this was served on draft for the low, low price of $1.00 per pint at The Downtown (on special).

The color is clear amber with a 1 finger, white head. There's not much aroma.

The malt flavor is mild of grain, citrus and hops. I thought the bitterness was particularly light for an IPA.

You can quaff this easily because of its light character.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

#110. It's been a while since I've done a review, but I've decided to review this beer as the bottle date was September 2 2010 which makes this one old IPA. I enjoyed the Winter Hook release well enough so I'm going to anticipate good things with this.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass at room temp.

(Appearance) Pours a 1/5 finger depth frothy head of a mildly pleasing semi-thick consistency. Retention is average; the head dies away gradually but there is a consistent shrouding on the surface. Some light droopy lacing speckles the sides of the glass, but most of it doesn't stick for long. Color is a hazy pale gold. There's an extraordinary amount of pulpy substance suspended in the mix. It's very curious and bizarre. A great deal of medium sized carbonation bubbles rise consistently throughout the beer. The pulpiness of this beer makes it curiously unique, but I'm not sure if it's appealing to me; it certainly won't be to the casual drinker. 3

(Smell) There is far more malty aroma in the nose than hop character, but both lend detectable traces to this brew. This beer lacks the spicy fresh edge that piney hops provide; instead this 7 month-old beer has a very mild, but inviting aroma. I think this would only be better in the case of a fresher beer, but much of the character is still detectable in this beer. There's lots of excitement that this beer needs to be a decent quality IPA; it's just not quite there. 2.5

(Taste) A lackluster blend of malty madness and a lighter hop presence. There's some slight piney highs in the midsection of the taste, but they're faint, only fragments of what might have been a quality IPA six months ago. The fruit content is easy to pick out in this beer; there is a detectable grapefruit character and possibly some grape, very light low acid citrus flavors too. A little more fruitier than my average IPA, but maybe time drained out the other flavors and this is all that's left. Balance isn't quite what I'm looking for, but I'm determined to try this in a fresher batch. It could only be better. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Super super smooth. Almost uncharacteristic for an IPA, it could certainly use some prickly texture to complement the style. There is a little thickness that might allude from the pulpy appearance, but this beer manages a light body at the most. Alcohol is tucked away quite well. There are no astringent or off flavors which is pleasing. 3

(Overall) This is about as average as IPAs can get. I'm sure that there may be some lacking quality due to the age of the beer, but this beer was at least 6 months bottled at the time of my purchase, making quality control or distribution something that needs some serious improvements. The flavors aren't well balanced and the mouthfeel is dull and unexciting. There's improvements to be made through and through, but this beer still manages to be a decent beer, or maybe I just am forgiving with IPAs. 2.5

Redhook Ales Brewery's
Long Hammer IPA:
C- (2.58)

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

Orange-hazy color and a small white head. Stick a little to the glass. The smell is way to sweet for an IPA. A little bitterness from the hops can be detected. The taste is nothing like an IPA. An almost artificial sweetness seems to dominate up front. A hint of fruit from the hops but not much else. Has a light malty aftertaste. This is not an IPA. None of the flavors that I look for in an American IPA are present.

2.58/5  rDev -20.4%

a: Pours a crystal clear golden, copper in color with a thin layer of foam that dissipates quickly and leaves a bit of lacing around the glass. Carbonation levels look solid. First impression is that this will be a very light brew without much complexity.

S: Not much on the nose. Some sweet malts, grains, grass, honey and of course a bit of floralness from the hops, but much less prominent than expected.

T: Similar to the aroma with prominent notes of grass, grains, sweet malts and a very subtle floral and pine hop presence. This is much more like a weakly hopped pale ale than your typical American IPA, and it doesn't offer much in the way of other flavors, either.

M: Light bodied with good carbonation, it doesn't offer much in the way of substance and comes off rather thin and a bit watery, though it is crisp and easy to drink.

O: Well, this is not at all what I expected when I made the purchase and I definitely feel the "IPA" label of this beer is misleading. This is an APA, at best, and there are plenty of APA's that have more hops than this. That said, there is nothing wrong with this beer, per se, but it certainly lacks complexity or depth. It is quite drinkable, however, and would make a great refreshing brew for a hot day, or a good session brew (the 6.5% alcohol is masked very well). So I guess how much you enjoy it will depend on what you're after.

2.57/5  rDev -20.7%

From bottle to mouth, ie, drinking from the bottle.

Smooth very mild hop taste, no linger, no bite.
For an IPA, very dull.
Red Hook has yet to impress me and with the "long hammer" I thought they wouldve, heh, "nailed" it, but they missed.
Wouldnt buy a 6pk, but would have on with a friend and then go on to tell them how a real IPA should bite me in the ass.

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Just found this in my girlfriends parents fridge with a date of 5/15/04, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It pours the standard deep orange golden color of most IPAs with a slight head that left the scene quickly. The smell was not what I would have expected detecting just about no hops only a slight sweetness. This tastes slightly bitter with a mild citruses taste from the few hops that are present. Not bad tasting overall but not great. Mouthfeel was average and it had average drinkability. Not the best but definatly not the worst, it will work in a pinch.

2.56/5  rDev -21%

Got this bottle from a buddy - Thanks Ross. I have never had a Redhook beer before, so hopefully this will be a good experience.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a nonic pint glass.

Appearance - Poured a transparent straw color and produced a quickly dissipating 1 1/2 finger head. Looks more like a macro lager than most IPAs I have imbibed. It is missing that golden orange hue that most IPAs have.

Smell - There is a very soft hop scent. I would have liked a lot more. There is some bready malts, almost sweet. Very light citrus notes. Smells like Lone Star with citrus spritzed into it.

Taste - Tastes kinda like a citrusy Lone Star, or how a Lone Star would if it had any kind of hop profile. The hops are mainly apparent in the beer's aftertaste. There is a bready sweetness from the malt, and slightly metallic "tin"-like flavor on the back of the sweetness. This IPA is missing that characteristic bite that most other IPA have.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is pretty thin for an IPA. It does, however, go down very smooth.

Drinkability - It was an easy-drinking brew, but the flavor and the smell were lacking.

This was an extremely weak tasting IPA. Not worth buying especially when brands like Stone, Avery, DFH, Bear Republic, and Victory are located on the same isle. Hopefully this isn't the best that Redhook has to offer.

I still appreciate the gift of brew, from my good friend Ross. Thanks buddy.

2.56/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pale gold, white head has some retention and lacing. Not bad.

S/T - Herbal hops, backed up by some pale malts, grainy, cereal grain sweetness, finishing lightly bitter with some pine and herbal notes. Some astringency.

M - Light body, lively carbonation. Turns thin halfway through, a little watery. Slight astringency.

O - Lighter, less bold flavors and aroma than the standard IPA. Just seems to be lacking the needed depth in the style.

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%

A few months back I tried the Redhook Amber and I was disappointed. By contrast, this beer has promise. Pours a bit cloudy and the one I just sampled does look like an IPA; however, I do agree with previous reviewers. The sweet smell smell and lack of hops make me wonder, “where’s the IPA.” Not something I’d come back to but better than Redhook’s Amber.

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Very slight chill haze fades on a perfectly clear light gold. Head is straight white with a dense bubble structure. Drops to a tiny cap and collar. Some splotches of lacing. Pretty standard if a little unexciting.

Smell: More earthy than anything. Some small hints of grapefruit and pine on the back. A bit muddled. A touch of hay with grass. Lightly bready malt base. Very mild. Some slight herbal elements. Vague sweet malt as well.

Taste: Vague citrus. Some grapefruit rind and pith. Slight bitterness. A hint of pine needle with a bunch of earthy herbal notes. Malts are very lightly bready and a touch sweet. Some toasted elements as well. musty juicy fruit. Hops are a bit old and dirty on the finish. Oddly fruity.

Mouthfeel: Light pushing toward medium body. Mild carbonation with a slightly dry finish. Relatively smooth.

Overall: Life is like a velvet hammer knocking on my head.

I can see the appeal of this as an intro IPA. It's inoffensive with a very mild hop profile. No frills, but it feels a little off overall. It's never going to be a staple in my conversion sixer, I'll leave that to Harpoon or the like.

2.54/5  rDev -21.6%

Hmm... I thought, when I saw this one on sale for two bucks cheaper than the SNPA I was going to take home after a long, crappy week's work.
Popping open the bottle and pouring it into an old stolen Pizza Inn globe goblet, I gave it a sniff. Not great, but not bad.
The head was decent and had excellent retention. So far, so good.
Color was an agreeable reddish amber.
My first sip revealed what I was dreading after reading some of the other reviews.
This stuff is really, really sweet. Not like the delightful sweetness of a Scotch Ale. More reminiscent of Foster's or Steel Reserve.
The Hop flavors are excellent. If they dialed back the sugar, this could be a better than halfway decent Beer.
Drinkability. Well, since I'm not wealthy enough for the decadent sink pour, I'm going to attempt to choke the rest of this sixer down, but it's not something I'm looking forward to.
If a Hoppy Malt Liquor is something you daydream about, I can heartily recommend this one.
If you want an IPA, look elsewhere, my friend.

Ba Review #200
Served On: 07/24/2012
Glassware: Pint Glass
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: 02/09/2012

This was from a 6-pack I picked up at Dewey Beach Liquors while on vacation in coastal Delaware.

Look: Very clear light copper. Almost a gold color. Head was a 1-finger of beige off-white foam. Quickly reduced down to a film with some patchy head lacing. Carbonation bubbles almost nonexistent.

Smell: Virtually nothing happening in the nose. Maybe some very faint sweet malt notes. That was about it.

Taste: An extremely light palate on this one. First off was a very faint floral hop note. Then some light sweetness. Finish and aftertaste was very clean. This beer drinks like a light English IPA rather than an American IPA.

I can't say this beer was that great to me. It was extremely drinkable and I would definitely prefer this over a macro-lager of course. Other than that, not real impressive.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Had this one at Marbar in Philly. Probably stale, with a very metallic smell. Not too much head though what was of it stuck around. The taste was pretty dry and not as bitter as I like my IPA's. Pretty weak taste overall, even watery. Probably trying to appeal to people who really shouldn't be drinking an IPA. Not for anyone who can handle the strength of Dogfish 90min. Not awful, just not for the serious.

144th review on BA
Bottle to pint

*left over from Christmas eve that brother in law brought over*

App- This was a darker yellow with a 1/2 in head that had some nice lacing.

Smell- A little funky on this one. Spicy with some citrus I think was grapefruit or nectarine?

Taste- Much more malt than hops on this one. A very odd taste with some bread and hints of lime. Just didnt work for me.

Mouth- It's light, crisp and water and bland. Not a good thing.

Drink- I'm not a fan of their starter IPA. A big let down for me.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

I am usually a fan of IPAs, but this seems a bit weak to me. Not much of the hoppy character I love my IPAs to hold. In fact I'd go so far as to say this isn't an IPA at all. Another run of the mill pale ale. Average on all acounts. I'm generally a fan of Red Hook brews, but this one does not hold up.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

It is not too bad of a showing here. Redhook is trying to introduce the mass market to a different style of beer. However, they are only moderately successful in their effort.
Pours orange straw color, decent head, little lacing.
Smells of hops, oranges, and barley.
A little boozy tasting and pretty bitter even for an IPA.
Mouthfeel is pretty decent.
Drinks not too easily, could not have more than maybe two.

2.53/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a nice mid-copper color with a bit of nice initial head, but no lacing to speak of. Nice floral scent, but a bit weak, and nothing beyond that. Very floral/slight citrusy hoppy flavor, but no real malt body to back it up, not even at a 6.5% ABV; just rather weak bodied, like hop water. Goes down smooth, but so does water.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Redhook's original IPA was one of my "gateway beers" that transitioned me into drinking something other than Leine's and Guiness. I haven't had one for years, but I saw the new name and packaging and thought I'd try this one out for old time's sake ... and this beer was disappointing all around. Last night I had one with some pizza, and it was fine. Tonight on it's own, not so much.

I'll just cut to the taste. Lots of grapefruit and pine needle taste, and some unexpected buttery sweetness, and not much else. 15 minutes later, it's still there on my tongue and it's not good. The hops is there, and I'm a fan of the hops, but the hops taste lacks some complexity that makes a good IPA. In the "cheap" beer category of $6 a six-pack, there are much better IPA choices.

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Average brown color with a white to light tan head. The nose has some fresh fruity hops, but not much of a malt backbone. The taste is even less complex. Some bitter hops and very pale malt. The body is light and has good carbonation. Drinkable, but not an impressive example of the style.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery