Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Long Hammer IPARedhook Long Hammer IPA

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States | website

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,173 | Ratings: 3,245
3.81/5  rDev +17.6%

I have had the redhook standard IPA before and was not impressed. So I gave this a shot as I am an IPA fan.

Poured gently into a Pint glass. Not much head, but what was there was bone white and left average lacing. It's a nice golden color, but a rich gold and a bit cloudy, not dirty, just looks like it has some substance.

Smell is unremarkable. A little citus, nothing overpowering.

Taste is good. It is hoppy, but not sharp. Dry aftertaste. I like it.

Mouthfeel is a bit of carbonation. Not oily like some heavy IPAs. Pretty dry finish

Very drinkable IPA. Could have many (I bought a 12'er, what do I mean "could"?).

Overall: Not as in your face as Stone IPA, not as meager as the Sierra IPA has become (it ain't the same as it was 10 years ago, don't even kid yourself). Much better than the old Redhook IPA (which was just a PA). Good effort from a mass production micro brew.

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%

bought a bunch of IPA singles to review from Total Wine/Wilmington DE...glad i bought this before i saw the low marks. want to give it a fair shake.

a-actually, very nice...deep head really did an odd, Guinness-like bubbling...not as magickal...but like two different head-forming processes going on...i love to watch that (better than tv)...incredible lacing...thick, variety of smallish bubble laces...color is not as 'IPA' looking as i am used to...a medium-deep golden color...looks like some heavy duty lager. nice 1/4 inch of head remains for a few minutes before setting into a thick veneer that holds its own.

i pour the rest and that same odd downward cascade (like a waterfall) going against the head-rising operation...wow and really interesting.

s-smells like an IPA...not a cali-PA for sure...and not supposed to be one...catching nice hop-n-malt balance.

t-after looking at the other reviews, i don't know, did i get a rare 'good' bottle? nothing skunky. true, the hop ghouls do not jump out and slap you in the face. i didn't expect this to...certainly a summer IPA, but it sure is refreshing and balanced. maltiness really doesn't rise up into the forefront, but i think it's doing its work in the back office. true, i want hops that take me on (ruination, 60 minute, all those west coast monsters...), but this is not the urine that many seem to be comparing it to...i have actually had much tamer IPAs.

m-that head told me there was carbonation to come. it didn't actually feel that way, so, i did expect something more 'crisp' but this still has a thickness to it i really like. not watery at all.

d-on a warm spring day, this would easily be enjoyed in multiples. i really must try another so i can see if it's really as bad as so many truly knowledgeable BA enthusiasts have said. C+ wouldn't make me happy if i was working at Red Hook...but then, it could be worse.

nonetheless, from this bottle, i have to say, nice, good, a notch above average for sure, recommended if you want a certain, american take on the IPA. remember, i dream of hop-creatures in mosh pits. this isn't a punk, but rather an edgey new waver...;)

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Nice refreshing IPA, not too bitter with a long lasting malty taste

Its the kind of beer I would drink a lot of if it wasn't quite so strong, but I drink a lot of it anyways...

Bottle in the picture is not the same as the bottle imported to Ireland.

Nice all round IPA

3.82/5  rDev +17.9%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear copper color with barely any head to speak of. Does leave some decent lacing.

Smell is some citrusy hops mostly.

Taste is actually quite good. Despite other reviews I've seen on this beer, I found it to be a good example of the IPA style. Piney, bitter hops and just a bit of pale malt to balance it out. Slightly dry in the finish.

Perhaps I had lowered expectations for this beer because of its score, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. Paired with a spicey jambalaya, it did the trick.

3.82/5  rDev +17.9%

A- Coppery, lots of head, quite a bit of lacing once poured.

S- Smells good, has kind of a flowery/citrus type smell which I really like because it is pretty unique.

T- Bitter but not too bitter, hints of grapefruit and lots of hops. My first impression was that it had kind of an herbal taste to it.

D- It is not as smooth as it cohuld be, it still good though.

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Not overwhelmingly awesome but it's a decent tasting brew. Color is a little light, its perfectly white head is large when first poured but dissipates, and leaves some good lacing as its consumed. Smell is not intense, but there is some floral hints and some orange that is picked up. Taste of some orange peel, and slightly better than the smell. Some hops but nothing that bites back. A little sweet.

It is your basic IPA

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

This had a gold color with no bubbles, average head and average lace. Definitely had that nice IPA scent to it.

This IPA has a nice bite to it; real quality IPA. It also has a hint of fruit to it. To be honest, nothing really stands out about it, but just really solid.

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

Red Hook IPA is a good example of an American IPA. It’s golden straw in colour, nicely carbonated, but lacking a little in head and lacing. However, the smell is great, with strong citrus (grapefruit) hops aromas and fair bit of pine as well. The taste is almost completely towards the bitter end of the spectrum with very little balance, but honestly that’s a quality that I like in IPAs. It’s very bitter. It’s also very dry. Overall, this is a pretty good American IPA. I would definitely buy this again.

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

Pours a clear, golden/pale tea color with a lingering, slightly off-white head that leaves some light lacing. The aroma and flavor indicate a fresh, floral, grapefruit, and light pine hop presence. There is also a bit of toasty caramel malt in the flavor. The bitterness level is mild to moderate; just enough to make this beer interesting. The only downsides are that the body seems a bit thin and watery from time to time and there is also a tinge of a metallic edge in the finish sometimes. Pretty good,suprised it was rated so low

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

I was real excited to try Redhook's famous IPA. Poured out an orange, cloudy color. Carbonation visible. Head was decent for an easy pour. Smelled of citrus fruits - orange and grapefruit maybe. For such a popular IPA, I figured the hoppy bitterness would be very present in the smell, but not overpowering here.

The taste was very good. Citrus-flavored hops, quite bitter. Unbalanced toward the hop side, but very much so expected from such a renowned IPA. I'm a bit shocked by the claims that this beer isn't hoppy enough. I'm completely content with the bitter taste it leaves on the tongue without assaulting it from the first sip.

I enjoyed this brew a lot. I will definitely be picking up more in the near future, despite the fact that the alcohol content and apparent bitterness might stop you from drinking too many in a single sitting.

3.84/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance is a dark golden color, head retention not so good.
Smell is citrusy and a bit sweet.
Taste is very hoppy but not at all bitter. Malt character is a little caramely but not too sweet. The hops are citrus and friut but not bitter enough to be a bonified IPA. A bit of a dissapointment if your looking for a serious ipa but a good tasting pale ale.
Mouthfeel is light to medium.
Drinkability is very high because of the lack of bitterness. But it is a decieving beer being at 6.5%. A good session beer but not a real IPA in my opinion.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm not sure why the scores are that low on this... I think this is a very well crafted beer. It says IPA, and no, it's not the punch you in the face 100 IBU style Imperial or Double, it's the normal style. Maybe more of a pale ale really? Reminds me of Sierra Nevada Pale ale. But anyway, I think this is a great "Gateway beer" and very accessible to a lot of people. It's well balanced and very easy to drink. I enjoy picking it up, and having it on a hot day.

A - Gold clear. Normal head, reduces to a light foam here and there, and around the edge.

S - A touch of caramel, grain and bitter hops if you really want it.

T - I like it... nice amount of bitter. Approachable to someone that hasn't had that much. Balanced, well done... Nothing complex, but that balance (for a bitter) is nice

M - very refreshing, light, crisp, clean. None of that weird tangy bitterness at the end, that I dislike.

D - well, just as I said in mouthfeel... it's just nice, and I think the balance and the easy mouthfeel on this make it highly drinkable! Great for when friends that don't know the 'world of beer' that come over.

Anyway, I'm a little dismayed that it's in the C's, but really, most of us are quite honest, and on this site, C+ is 'ok'. 'B' is Good, and A is outstanding. I heard some people recently lumping red hook in with the coors/bud thing. Well anything Anheuser-Busch. Anheuser-Busch owns 25% of redhook... probably more as an investment, diversification and a 'toe in' to what they probably knew was going to be a big area. And they don't have any say. Redhook is one of the pioneers in the craft brew movement, and they should be respected for that. They've been a successful pioneer because they're still accessible. They're like a Sam Adams in that sense. Red Hook was the first beer I had where I went, 'wow, I like this, why doesn't all beer taste this good'. So perhaps I'm a little biased ;-)

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date September 17, 2013 printed on the label. It seems as though I've come full circle here, as I am re-reviewing this beer, my first ever written review on BeerAdvocate. Here we go again.

Poured into a Miller Lite pint glass.

A - Pours a murky light lemon-yellow colored body with some bubbles rushing topside, and about a finger of frothy doughy off-white head. Just a bit of spotty lacing. Looks pretty good to me.

S - Smell is simple, but nice. Some resinous pine hops, grapefruit, & some honeyed graham cracker malt to keep things in good harmony.

T - Taste follows the nose wonderfully. Bitter pine and grapefruit hops, and a lovingly nice balance of honey, graham cracker, and biscuit malt.

M - Aftertaste is of resinous pine and grapefruit bitterness. Medium bodied with good carbonation.

Overall, not the most extraordinarily complex IPA out there, but hits it's mark on every level indefinitely. This is the ideal session IPA for me, a beer that I will always consider to be a classic go-to IPA, and one of the first beers that started me on my craft beer journey.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA ---4/5.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Long Hammer is my secret pleasure. Another supermarket steal, particularly when it's on sale, as it was at Publix last week. Probably its only offense is that after the mild citrusy hop flavor there is pretty much... uh... mild citrusy hop flavor. That, and its mouthfeel could be a little less thin.

But one exception to the single mild citrusy note (and this is why I keep buying it) is some elusive and delicious characteristic unique to Red Hook beers -- maybe a slight malt flavor or even a water profile I'm catching (and I don't have a particularly refined palate, but I have always found Red Hook beers to have this characteristic and it's why I love them).

One way to characterize this beer is as a food-friendly IPA. For this alone I give it a very approving nod. My guess is when the big-hops fad has quelled a bit, this type of beer will stand out as an example (though not the exemplar) of a beer that pairs well with actual food people would eat at a meal. The usual line about a big IPA "going well with spicy food" is just plain dumb; a big IPA can really only stand alone -- pairing it with loud food only gives your mouth too much to deal with. But Long Hammer would even be great in a Welsh rarebit -- the cheddar would shine right through it.

In a pint glass:

A: orange-copper cloudy body with a small white head, no lacing

S: hoppy, floral with some grassiness and lemon notes

T: strong hops, yet still some spices come out as the beer warms

M: medium, sessionable, strong hoppy grassy finish, no aftertaste

O: pretty good AIPA, I'd have this again

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Poured into insulated tumbler at a cookout - chilled

Pours a ambery orange with mediocre head, smells faintly of hops but it's nice.. Taste is mildly bitter with some good earth backbone.

Overall this is actually a pretty decent IPA in my opinion. I would definitely purchase this if I needed an affordable IPA

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a golden wheat color with a an antique white head. Barely any head retention at all. Some lacing on glass. Biscuit malt aromas and sweet fruit bouquet. Decent mouthfeel adds to the overall pleasant experience. Sweet citrus and pine flavors that blend well to make a very good beer. I think Red Hook has changed their recipe on this beer. It used to be more harshly bitter. Excellent IPA.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

10-03: Had a nice treat. They had a cask version at the brewery. They even served it at the proper temperature. Dark golden with little carbonation. A little clear for a cask beer. Fairly decent hop (grapefruity) signature in the nose and taste. Good malty backbone. Not the most kick I've had in an IPA, but not bad nevertheless.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

I'm surprised to see the reviews on this are as low as they are. I had this on tap at Five Spot on Euclid Ave. in Atlanta. Was a nice golden colour with a snow white head. A little cloudy. Had nice lacing. Big citrus hoppy smell. Lots of grapefruit / hops in the taste and a nice malty finish. I thought it was quite refreshing and very sessionable.

3.85/5  rDev +18.8%

Pours a nice golden color with a thick white head. Tastes nice with a good amount of hop bitterness. a pleasant IPA. this stuff just came out of nowhere and now it is on every grocwery store's shelves in my town. Not a bad beer

3.86/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Look: Pours a dark light gold. Very little white head.
Aroma: A little bit of pine followed by citrus - some grapefruit. Not very powerful.
Taste: Bitter citrus and malts. More hoppy, not very well balanced but not a mess either
Feel: More or less dry. Medium bodied; medium/high carbonation.
Overall: It's not a bad IPA, but nothing to rave about.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

I bought the Reedhook Brewers Choice pack from Costco... 24 beers for $21. How could I go wrong? Well, that's what I first thought until I saw some of the reviews around here. Then I was worried. But after trying this beer, I was pleasantly surprised. I enjoyed this beer for what it was, and not just comparing it to other IPAs.

Appearance - Plain. Enough said. Very mediocre in this area, just gold, very little cloudiness, and very little lacing.

Smell - Decent, but nothing to write home about. Not as "in your face" as other IPAs, but a nice floral smell. Nothing offputting.

Taste - I actually like the taste alot, unlike a lot of people on here. It's obviously not a very strong to the tastebuds... but it's pleasant to the tastebuds. Definitely more floral and citrus hops. Very little pine. Hardly any malts. Nice and clean though, very little aftertaste. This beer is great for when you're in the mood to drink a beer with the flavors of an IPA but not as overpowering as an IPA usually is.

Mouthfeel - This is where this beer really starts to excel. Can you say smooth? This beer goes down so easy it isn't even funny. Easily one of the most "refreshing" beers I've ever drank. It almost feels hydrating in a way when you're drinking it. So light bodied and the perfect amount of carbonation. This is the "Bud Light" of IPAs. Feels watery in the mouth, and in this beer's case that's a good thing. This might be the only IPA I've ever tried that I'd use in beer pong. Awesome.

Drinkability - Feels hydrating, smooth, moderate level ABV, little aftertaste, amazingly light for the style, clean, crisp... the most sessionable IPA ever made, at least that I've ever tried or heard of.

So pretty much even though this beer is a let down if you're looking for something to wow you with it's intense flavors... this beer is AMAZING if you just want to get drunk off beer for cheap but don't want to suffer through similarly priced bullcrap such as Miller or Bud. I would DEFINITELY buy this again for that very reason.

Check it out next time you want something cheap and light to drink in mass quantities.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

A decent beer, an average IPA, yep that is the bias going into this review.
Appearance is ok, not a lot of head, but it stuck around for a bit.
Smell is a bit weak on the hops but refreshing and some floral notes mixed with an abundance of fruit.
Taste had a good mixture of hop bitterness and fruit sweetness.
Mouthfeel is just not that oily, cloying type I like.
Drinkability is pretty good.

Long Hammer IPA

poured from a plain looking bomber. didn't look like it would be much, but at $2.99 a bomber, i couldn't pass it up! even if it does turn out to be horrible.

other reviews pummel this delicious brew to the ground. maybe i just give too much credit to the over the top bitterness that others seem opposed to. maybe i'm just crazy.

pours yellow with a thin head that leaves a few spots of lace behind. looks a little watery. obviously not very heavy on the malt. smells great! enticing citrus and hop smells jump out.

citrus hops dominate the taste. solidly bitter, light on the malt. not a very complex taste, but one that is easy to enjoy. this beer's strength comes not from it's massive complexity or versatility. it's just a nice, solid, bitter IPA.

mouthfeel light, if slightly light. easily drinkable, very enjoyable hoppy beer.

if you like IPAs, don't trust the horrible reviews on this guy. go out and try it for yourself. you may be pleasantly surprised like i was.

3.87/5  rDev +19.4%

Picked up a sixer at the local grocery looking for an exciting new IPA to try. I was neither blown away nor disappointed.
I was surprised with the appearance of this beer. I expected to see the typical amber/coppery color that most IPA's display, but this one poured a very light golden color not far away from your macro lagers. Very clear, which means this beer was very likely filtered and had some of its flavor stripped away. Head was quick to dissipate.
Smell was very pleasant. Hops take center stage. I was hit with a very aggressive piney/grassy hop aroma.
I thought the taste was pretty good as long as you are not hung up on a beer style fitting exactly between a predetermined set of numbers. Hop presence was definately there with some moderate bitterness. Not much in the way of malt, mostly hops. I appreciate a beer that is on the heavy side of its style as I'm sure most beer geeks do, so I don't see the need to criticize an offering that is on the light side or maybe even down a class on the style scale. I'm sure that if this beer was flirting with DIPA range that there would not be any complaints.
Mouthfeel was somewhat lacking for an IPA, and probably the least appealing attribute of this beer.
Drinkability was good. The light mouthfeel will not wear out the palate, and the flavor was very likable. I could definately session this beer.
Overall, I thought this was a solid offering. Probably not something that is going to blow away the veteran beeradvocate, but it is a nice drinking beer. Something that could introduce the macro drinker to hops and lead them on the path of righteousness.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery