Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,187 | Ratings: 3,283
3.88/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: A very nice looking beer, all golden and clear, though maybe a little underwhelming for the head, which was off-white and disappeared quickly.

S: Very light and clean smelling, hop oils featuring two notes: Sweet pine and mildly bitter yellow citrus fruit. Sweet malts round it out, very delicate nose for an IPA but not unpleasant at all.

T: The two note hop oils carry over into the flavor, again that strangely sweet and refreshing pine and a bitter yellow citrus, maybe akin to yuzu. Sweet, slightly bready and roasty malts make it rather enjoyable to drink, but there's no way this can be a real IPA. The hop presence and bitterness are too low, at least to me. This really falls into that weird APA/IPA midpoint category that seems to be cropping up.

M: Great mouthfeel actually, it feels rich and somewhat thick in the mouth, with a nicely spritzy feeling across the tongue from the hop bitterness and the salty carbonic acid. Barely, barley starting to get sticky feeling halfway through a bottle, not overtly resinous.

O: Not a BAD beer, certainly one that helped me get into the flavors of hops along with Sierra Nevada's Pale, but as I get into bigger, better beers this one seems more and more just slightly above average. Not talking down about this beer though, I still enjoy drinking it, I'm just out of the honeymoon phase about it.

3.88/5  rDev +19.8%

A - Clear gold. Dense white foam.

S - Grapefruit and some pine and orange. Light malt backing.

T - Nice fresh hoppiness and a malt that leans to the sweet side. Notes of orange with an strong bitter finish.

M - Smooth, medium body. Carbonation is spot-on: not too much, and not too little.

D - Solid, drinkable IPA. The orangey flavour is interesting, giving a nice, clean but fruity flavour.

3.89/5  rDev +20.1%

Golden color with little carbonation or head. little lacing.
Good citrus smell of grapefruit.
Good taste, with citrus and bitterness at the end.
Good mouthfeel, it goes down very easily.
Very drinkable. Even though ABV is a little high it is a good session beer. One of my favorite summer ales.

3.89/5  rDev +20.1%

from month old notes (thought I lost them)
on tap

A: 1 finger white head that left some lacing on the glass. Body was a bit pale for my taste.

S: Nice citrusy aroma. Maybe the hops were a bit understated for an IPA, but still not a bad scent.

T: Taste was much like the smell. Not as hoppy as an IPA should be, but it's well balanced with malty sweetness.

M: Middle of the road body and carbonation. Clean, slightly bitter finish.

D: More of a pale ale than an IPA - they really should rename it, but it's quite quaffable no matter what they call it.

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

Pretty, eye catching bright green labeled bottle. "Redhook" insignia at the top of the label is smaller on this brand, almost as an afterthought. Bottled on 060605 clearly stamped through. Purchased as a $3 bottle at Red Star in Baltimore last night, served just a touch too cold.

Poured a hazy copped with a bright white head. Nice retention and lacing. Smell of fresh cascade hops.
Flavor is dominated by cascade hops, nice and biting without the piney let down. A decent malt backbone is there enough to keep em honest, but this one is a little one sided. (but I like cascades) Mouthfeel was a little chewy and more medium. Finished nice and bitter, with eruptable hop belches.

Overall, a pretty solid Americanized IPA with kick that one could enjoy several of. I had one with a chipotle chicken pizza and another just sittin and talkin.

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%

A sales rep just brought this for me to try.

Poured a nice amber color with a head that died quickly into very light lacing.

smell is a little malty with a crisp hop aroma.

Tastes very light. Hops are there, a little muted. some piney notes and a little citrusy. good. No aftertaste at all.

Mouthfeel is dry and clean.

Overall I could drink a million of these. Very drinkable. For what this is, a session IPA for less money than most others, it succeeds remarkably.

3.9/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours from 12oz bottle (only bottled three weeks ago) with thick head. It has a light amber colour, and a very hoppy, slightly liquorice nose.

Says on the bottle that it is a.k.a. Ballard Bitter, and this fits when you taste it. Despite the fairly high alcohol content, this one has a fairly subtle flavour. It is rather creamy before a subtle but pleasant hoppy finish takes over. The nose suggested something acrid which hopheads would love, but it is nothing like that at all. Nevertheless it is pleasant, smooth and eminently drinkable.

Do not file under typical Northwestern IPA.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

bottle poured in pint glass.
A - Pours a light gold, 1 inch head with some lacing on the glass.

S - Citrus and hops

T - Hops and citrus up front with some sweetness coming through from the malts.

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O - I enjoyed this beer. Will get again.

3.92/5  rDev +21%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a tulip glass.
Aroma- has a nice citrus aroma with a hint of grains
Appearance- a golden yellow with a small white head that lingers
Taste- a nice crisp semi-tart flavor, not overpowering but well balanced
Palate- a dry beer that has medium carbonation and is also medium bodied
Overall- a really good beer from Red Hook, I would drink this again.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

This may not be an exceptional beer, but it's such a good beer that I don't think it receives enough credit. It's not particularly hoppy, but is has a tingly bitterness and enough mouthfeel to be a reliable standby that compliments most food and makes a wonderful summer ale. It's a fine stepping-stone into the IPA world, better out of the tap but solid out of the bottle.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Served ice cold in a "Boston Lager" glass from 12 oz amber bottle.

Aroma is all grassy hops.

Appearance is bright, crystal clear, light straw color with a white head leaving moderate lacing--looks more like an all-malt pils than an IPA, doesn't pour thick like the typical IPA.

Tastes matches the aroma--grassy hops, medium-low bitterness, just enough malt to not be soapy or sour.

Mouthfeel is watery with a crisp finish.

Drinkability is just fine. This is the Coors Light of IPAs I guess, a great example of the California XPA style. Well, there are two styles of XPA, high gravity and low gravity (and I love 'em both)--this is the latter. The polar opposite of syrupy, gooey, barleywine-like IPAs. I like it and wish I'd bought two--I'd have the second right now. If it came in a can, I'd buy a 30 pack to take to the beach. Highly recommended.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Poured a nice clear colour with a decent head. Aroma took me a back. Piney hop nose right off the bat. I didnt expect it to be that hoppy. Taste was rich and full flavoured. Malty at first but not to long before the pine and floral hops came in to kick out the jams. West coast style all the way.. I just didnt expect this from the " Watered down" Redhook. Guess you shouldnt judge a book by the cover. Mouthfeel was above average, almost a bit heavy but not so much so. Drinkability.. Yep Yep for a buck less than some more highly rated beers this honestly stacked up.. I was shocked. The hop notes were rich and noteworthy.. If in a pinch and the price is right I have no problem recommending this.

PS-- I love how the packaging half covers up that this beer used to be Ballards Bitter

3.92/5  rDev +21%

I had this ontap at Fire n Ice Grill in Boston. It was served a little on the warmer side, which is shocking for a chain restaurant but I don't mind. Not every beer has to be served frozen like uh... Coors Lite.

A light golden copper. It was served with no head but a ring around the glass from the disapated film.

A floral aroma up front with some citrus. Bready malt in the background. The floral smell is the main attraction here.

As far as the taste, floral, I also detect some pine that I didn't get in the aroma, a little bit of a peppery spice as well. A bready malt at the end.

Light body, light carbonation. Feels okay.

This is a refreshing IPA and not all that bitter. This could be the IPA people can use as a gateway IPA if they have never tried one. Tasty and certainly not boring.

3.92/5  rDev +21%

Light to medium gold body, clear with a thin head but lots of lacing.

Big piney hop aroma with a slight earthy/malty mix in the background.

Clean, simple malt profile really balances the hop bill out, which is huge but kept in check. Humulus Lupis wins in the end, but that's as it should be.

Mouthfeel is drying and sticky t the same time, pretty unique. Too much carbonation, but that's usually the case with bottles, force-carbonated offerings.

Really a good beer, almost balanced, I have had a lot of this brew and will probably have a lot more.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

I have tried this beer several times before but never sat down to actually review it.

A - The appearance of this beer is slightly lighter than what I would expect however still that copper type color. Very light lacing occurred and not a ton of head which is very uncharacteristic of the style.

S - This seems very light in a aroma for an IPA. It still has the characteristic scents of pine, citrus (grapefruit) and floral hops.

T - The taste on this is much less bitter than several of the IPA's on the market. I think that this would be good for somone who has never been introduced to IPA's and may not necesarrily enjoy the bitterness added by the hops. It is still noticable however extremely palatable with a finish that dissipates quickly.

M - A bit more watery than what I would expect however still true to the style.

D - the drinkibility on this beer is amazing. Its bitter, however not too bitter making it a very good session beer. It is extremely refreshing as well. With the summer months coming this is one to crack while lying on the beach or a hammuk under a shade tree. I highly reccomend this for people just getting into the IPA style.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

the aromas from this beer are very nice. it has subtle scents that are fruity while the hops are very present. while pouring it gave average sized head that left a silky layer on the glass edge. they dont call this beer that ballard bitter for nothing, either. it is definitely a bittery taste but not in a bad way at all. very strong hop flavor that goes well with what seemed to be a sweeter malt taste. i enjoyed this beer very much and would certainly get it again.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

A: golden yellow, clear, with very little head, no lacing
S: orange, lemony, very fragrant
T: I really like this flavor combination: bracing, very flavorful IPA: rose petals, pine needles, grapefruit; very complex, a consistent flavor profile even in the aftertaste
M: rather inert

Overall, this is a solid IPA; I'm not certain why others haven't cared for the taste, since it catches my fancy.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

12 oz. on tap at Hadlock Field in Portland, Maine.

Appearance: A partly cloudy gold with a nice one finger head of eggshell foam that sticks around forever.

Aroma: Citrus, hops, pine. Smells like a midgrade IPA.

Taste: Follows the nose. Has an appealing oily quality. Grapefruit and apricot are noticeable. Maybe some lemon and biscuit.

Mouthfeel: Has body but it's really, really drinkable. Easy on palate for even a midgrade IPA.

Overall: Folks tend to deride IPAs like this as "utility grade" or "midgrade" like I just did. It is, but it's a fine all-seasons beer. Deserves a better rating on the site, I'd say. I feel similarly about this as I do about Sam Adams' Rebel Rider and Shipyard's IPA - not face-splitting hop bombs, but they don't need to be.

Footnote: Hadlock has apparently switched from 14 oz. cheaters to 12 oz.'ers. Mixed feelings on that.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

I am not a big fan of IPA's but I am trying to be. This is a great starter IPA, not huge hop flavor but enought to let you know what style it is. It has great flavor. The apperance was average. Nothing Redhook should brag about but the taste is good. I definitely enjoyed it. I probably won't buy it again, at least soon, I would like to try a more heavy duty IPA.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

This was a great beer for the bargain. My friend lbkornlb14 and I went into our local watering hole to get a snootfull. We are big hopheads and saw long hammer IPA. The kicker was it wasnt popular so the bartender set the price at $1 a PINT. My friend and I went bananas. The color was golden. The aroma was full of nice rich hop smell. The flavor was chock full of bittering hops on the front, smooth on the finish. The mouth feel was great. I dont remember how many we put down that night, but I am glad we went that night.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

The first time I had one of these it was on tap, at a Mexican restaurant and it worked perfectly with my chili relleno. Had I given it a review at the time it would be an A+. So I had to try the bottle:

Appearance: Nothing special--an almost cloudy straw color. It keeps a small creamy head which I like.

Smell: Grapefruit and nothing else.

Taste: Mild for an IPA. Nothing jumps out at you, but there's also nothing negative at all about it. A great grapefruit taste that the nose hints at from the start.

Mouth-feel: Light, with just the right amount of carbonation.

Drink-ability: A perfect summer beer, or a beer to pair with spicy food. I like it a lot, and it won't be the last time I down a few.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

Whether or not this beer is an IPA is not really the question. This beer started out as a bitter, "Ballard Bitter" and "I" like it.
Some floral fragrance, some sweet notes along with a nice bitter, makes for a rather refreshing brew. The top neck band label on my bottle has “alcohol 6% by volume” and poured out a fair amber with a somewhat thin head. Looks aside, I found the brew refreshing, tasty, and satisfying.

3.94/5  rDev +21.6%

This poured a clear pale amber with a little white head. It smelled like a mix of strong citrus and pine hops with some malt. It tasted mostly typical with nice mostly pine hops flavor and some malt. It was surprisingly thick with little carbonation and a sweet/bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a good clean beer, better than I expected.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

Light golden color with a white head that doesn't stay long, but leaves a sticky film around the inside of the glass. Aroma of sweet honey and orange peel. Hop flavor is bright and citrusy, with some pine notes as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but very refreshing and enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +21.9%

I really don't understand why I seem to be the only one who likes Red Hook.

Again, I found this as a pretty darn good IPA but again, I'm in the minority.

Pours a golden bright color. Smell bursting with hops which provides a nice aroma.

Taste is again, hops, with a hint of orange. Rather serious IPA at 6.5 ABV, but worth it. I enjoyed. And recommend.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery