Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Ratings: 3,297 |  Reviews: 1,193
1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

1.5/5  rDev -53.7%

1.51/5  rDev -53.4%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = Golden, transparent, like a Macro-lager. This is not what most IPAs look like. Seems thin and weak. Head it OK, but definitely an overall below average appearance

Smell = Very unappealing. Reminds me of tuna fish with a bit of apples mixed in. Yuck. Not what I want in a beer. There's a bit of crispness to it but it doesn't save anything.

Taste= ugh..this is a terrible beer. It's sour and putrid without any dominant, clean hops. Tastes like these just squeezed a bunch of lemon juice into it and added some vodka. Terrible bitter, pungent aftertaste. This could possibly be the worst IPA i've ever had and is going down the drain.

Overall = AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

1.56/5  rDev -51.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

Fail. Shame on Redhook for (1) putting out this beer and (2) calling this an IPA. THIS IS NOT AN IPA. I don't know what this is but it is definitely not an IPA.

It poured the color of straw left in the sun for too long. This should have been the first hint.

It smelled like beer but where are the hops?

Tasted like a skunked Redhook ESB minus the malt character.

Drain pour.

1.56/5  rDev -51.9%

1.58/5  rDev -51.2%

Beer pour a typical IPA amber with a medium white head that left no traces on the way down.

Smell was uncharacteristically unhoppy for an IPA. Slight arorma of malts with a heavy over-riding sweetness.

Taste was absolutely ghastly. Started with a mild hops with heavy citrus that quickly faded to a horrid metallic tang (aluminum? steel?).

I finished the bottle but gave the rest of the twelve pack away.

1.58/5  rDev -51.2%

Wow. Big dissapointment. I like to read reviews first. Didn't this time. Assumed it would be decent based on their ESB. Nope.

Smelled skunky in a fake pot sorta way not a hop sorta way.
Watery, lacking body.
Grassy in taste.

It brought me way back to a time in my life when I drank beer fast and tried not to taste it as it went down, i.e. the cheapest 40 oz.er an allowance could afford. I'm trying to figure out how someone could make this beer, taste it, and sell it with a clear conscience. I'd be like, "Well, that sucked. Let's start over. We can't make people drink that."

1.65/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

On tap at The Brickwood in Rochester, NY.

Just an offensive IPA. Pours a golden yellow, with no head or lacing.

Smells like basically nothing. Maybe some sweet grains, a little bit of grass?

The taste is, well, bad too. There are hop flavors present, but they are super muted, and slightly dirty. Grainy and metallic. Awful.

Light bodied, crisp mouthfeel, undrinkable.

This is an abomination.

1.68/5  rDev -48.1%

Bitter.

That about sums it up. I think you would have to be a real IPA nut to be able to appreciate this beer. It was just too bitter for me. Not really hop tasting just bitter. After a few it became a bit more drinkable but the lack of flavour along with the bitterness just killed it for me.

I don't usually find any beer to be bad, but if I had to choose one, this would be it. :(

Still however, if you can appreciate an IPA, give this a try. Who knows you might enjoy it. Always try a beer once IMO!

1.69/5  rDev -47.8%

looks like straw - makes me scared of what is to come. smell is nice enough, citrusy. taste is just plain bad. way too attenuated - any malt flavor quickly disappears and leaves a bad bad flavor on the tongue that I have a tough time describing, perhaps a little bit of old hops with some tannins? feel is wicked thin. It will be a while before I give this beer another chance.

1.75/5  rDev -46%

Boring and shitty together at last in a dry hopped IPA

1.76/5  rDev -45.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz bottle. No date at all but the beer appears to be fresh. No skunk or funk smell. In fact very little aroma. A hint of citrus and hops perhaps. The appearance is clear/copper with some bubbles. A quickly fading eggshell white head. Very little lacing. The taste is slightly sweet with some bitterness but not overwhelming. A faint taste of citrus at the back of the throat. The mouth feel is a little lemon and the finish is semi-wet/puckering. Over all not bad but with 6.5% abv you probably would not want to drink more than one. I'd like to compare this with their esb. I don't see why the bros gave it a poor rating. It is a good beer. Not great but I'll give it a B.

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

12oz bottle, this bottle of mine looks like a new much more fresh design.

Appearance: Slightly orange/golden clear. Decent size white head.

Smell: Slightly citrusy hop like aroma. Faint hint of malts.

Mouthfeel: Light body, fairly carbonated but not overly so.

Taste: Poor hop flavor and a slight malty sweetness on the finish. Looking back over my beer drinking days it is obvious to me now that way back when I first began drinking it was supposed IPA's like this that completely turned me off of liking the style. Today IPA is one of my favorite styles and this was a complete waste of cash.

Drinkability: This could be a session beer for anyone who can get past the taste.

Overall I couldn't have been dissappointed more. I typically drink a Stone IPA or a Victory HopDevil, as these two IPAs are IMO delicious and are available in my area regularly. The RedHook IPA was the only thing called an IPA in the store so I grabbed it hoping to get a hop fix and my lord it was everything but a fix, I needed a hop fix even more after drinking it, good thing I had a Hop Wallup in the fridge. Not recommended by me.

1.8/5  rDev -44.4%

I've heard so much bad about this IPA that I have never tried it before. There were a few slipped in with a 6 pack I bought of porter to make beer bread. If my truck didn't burn more gas than Saddam during a war, I would have drove back down and returned them for a real beer. This beer pours a white head and a real pale color. This beer has almost no malt taste and no hop taste, just bitterness. Come on, most IPAs have some hop flavor like citrus or something but this beer has nothing. It's like drinking bitter water. Oh well, it's better than the beast but that is pretty bad when you're a microbrew.

1.82/5  rDev -43.8%

Weak sauce. Tastes like a good IPA that got diluted by a lot of water- like a light beer that tried to be hoppy. The only redeemable quality is the nose, but that's quickly forgotten about because the aftertaste stays with you for a long time, and it's gross. It will take me quite a while to work my way through the six. Overall, its an embarrassment to the style.

1.84/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Stay away & don't waster your time or money on this inferior "IPA"

1.84/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I used to buy this when it was 1.99 at my local store. The price went up to about 3 bucks and I wish I remembered how much I dislike it, maybe the recipe changed but im just not digging the taste or the after-burn. Reminds me of drinking natty-ice at the softball field when i was younger

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A Safeway Club Card burning a hole in my pocket suckered me into purchasing a 12-pack at Safeway in Natomas, Sacramento.

A: Strange - golden, but not rich and caramelly looking like my favorite Boonville Hop Ottin' IPA. Poured into Bud Light Tahoe pub glass (appropriate), resulting in a 3/4 inch head.

S: Socks? A 1967 quarter minted in Denver but sniffed in Tuscaloosa in present day?

T: Slurping the head and there are some piquant hop notes. All right! What a deal! Let's drink. Hmm... What the!?!? Where'd the hops go? The other reviewer who mentioned that this "tastes like they squeezed lemon into it and added vodka" is spot-on. Awful, no clean hop notes, lots of metal. Harsh.

M: So angry.

O: Buy this beer and you'll be sorry. With the new Bel-Air in town dealing 22-oz pounders of Hop Ottin', and Lagunitas IPA readily available, Sacramento-Natomas IPA folks should wisely stow their Safeway Club Card and pony up for a real IPA. I'll be saving the other 11 of my 12-pack for the VERY latter stages of a party.

1.9/5  rDev -41.4%

Had this today on tap @ Hibernia in Boston.

Diacetyl? In an IPA? I think not. And what's with the low hop profile and mega-sweetness of this beer? My pint was quite cloudy too.

Beer drinkers of the world ... this is not an IPA, and it's a pretty crappy beer to boot.

1.9/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

1.91/5  rDev -41%

12oz : pint glass

Pours a clear golden with a fizzy white head.

Aroma is resiny, skunky weed/pine hops.

Again more resiny pine, but again with a faint skunkiness thrown in.

Medium body, with fairly average carbonation.

It has potential, but the faint skunkiness is definitely a negative. I'm not sure how it could be skunked from light exposure, as the six pack carrier covers almost the entire bottle, but I suppose anything is possible. Would like to give it another shot to see if I did get a light struck bottle.

1.92/5  rDev -40.7%

1.96/5  rDev -39.5%

There is a thin white head that dissapates quickly. A nice color though which is a robust golden color without any redness. Distinct cascade hops flavor with just enough malt to balance. Mouthfeel is dense enough let you taste the hops without being as heavy as an average stout. Leaves a bitter aftertaste for a few seconds to finish with an average cleanness. A mediocre I.P.A. that displays the flavor of Cascade hops yet i believe it needs work on the yeast and the water profile as i do not think that these two ingredients are the best choice for an I.P.A.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery