Redhook Long Hammer IPA | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American IPA

The generous addition of hops both during and at the end of the fermentation process (dry-hopping) gives our India Pale Ale its characteristic bitterness and piney citrus aroma and flavor. The medium body, crisp finish, and moderate alcohol and IBU levels makes this one of America’s most drinkable and best-selling IPAs.

Added by pbrian on 03-29-2001

Reviews: 1,189 | Ratings: 3,291
3.8/5  rDev +17.3%

a:brilliant clarity. golden and lighter than expected for an ipa. 1/2" head that had some staying power. decent lacing.

a:good ipa aroma that is all cascade. minimal malt aroma. no yeast aroma.

t:not much bitterness. some good flavor hopping that is smooth. no alcohol presence. mostly 2-row i guess, as i dont percieve much darker malt. i get some dms hints. clean fermentaion.

m:light to medium body. no noted hop residue. medium carbonation.

o:a good entry ipa. i know that redhook is trying to get cross-over customers so i cant fault them with the low bittering hops. i can see this kind of beer getting people hooked on hop aroma and flavor without the initial shock of the bitterness. i wouldnt buy this beer except, like today, when im eating and its the only non-macro on tap.

2.36/5  rDev -27.2%

I was in New Hampshire and went to the Red Hook brewery. They have a restaurant in the brewery and that is where I had this beer.

I like IPA's, when the server brought out the beer It had a crisp clean look to it, light but not too light in color. It smell okay, it did not knock me out but it did not impress me either, it was middle-of-the-road.
When I tasted it I did everything in my power not to spit it out. It was overly bubbly and felt like I was drinking a ginger ale.
The taste was overly bitter.

This is perhaps the second time I never finished a beer in my life. I wouldn't have this beer again.

2.28/5  rDev -29.6%

It pours with a nice orange to amber color with a light creamy head. However, the use of the IPA label is only that. Its aroma and taste were small on the hops let alone close to the expectations one would have for a beer labeled as an IPA. It tasted more like a typical mainstream pale ale.

3.33/5  rDev +2.8%

The beer pours a nice golden color with about a finger of head. Upon first sip, it is sweet with a very mild hop presence. It lingers on the roof of my mouth and the finish is long and slow. It is smooth but does not provide that bite I was expecting or yearning for. This would make a great beginners IPA.

3.24/5  rDev 0%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

- light copper colored
- smells a little like grass
- bland flavor
- Bitter aftertaste not too bitter
- very light and pretty refreshing
- enjoyed this IPA

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

Red-gold color with a low tight head that dissapears quickly. Sweet fruity hop aroma with a slight malty aspect that arrives late as the beer warms.
A sharp bitter hop initial flavor is the dominant taste from start to finish. An underlying bready malt emerges at mid taste and remains to the finish. A grainy hop taste joins in late in midtaste and intermingles to the end along with a caramel malt flavor that strengthens toward the finish. Medium thick body with very good carbonation.
Heavy on the hops, as an IPA should be, but with enough malt to make this an enjoyable beer.

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%

I have fond memories of drinking this stuff at the Ballard brewery when visiting an old childhood friend. It is therefore disappointing to report that this beer is so undistinguished when poured out of the bottle in you own home. Not much head, and repeated attempts at discerning an aroma didn't get very far. It is certainly an easy-to-quaff IPA with a low alcohol content and minimal bitterness.

I guess I'd prefer to drink a good pale ale over this faint-hearted IPA.

2.6/5  rDev -19.8%

I've had this in bottle as well as on tap in the RH brewpub in SEA. I'm always dissapointed when I see this included in the ranks of serious AIPAs.

Mom always said, if you have nothing to say...

It's a great version of an IPA to drink with filling foods/meals or perhaps when the humidity is unbearable.

Hop lovers steer clear.

3.54/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Poured into a glass: this beer pours a very light golden color with subtle amber hints reaching towards the outward edges of the glass. Looks rather average from a distance.

Smell: Quite hoppy, which is what I love. Half of beer is the smell and this one delivers simply and elegantly. An initial splash of light grain quickly followed with an overwhelming hop smell. Quite pleasant.

Taste: Similar to smell, a light grainy/malt taste instantly followed with a beautiful hop punch. The delicious hop flavor fills your whole mouth.

Mouthfeel: Quite simple... A full hoppy finish. Not dry, not 'wet'... just right.

Drinkability: Any more than a few and I am left craving a little something different. The strong taste makes this a good before dinner brew, which is true for most Indian Pale Ales. I consider this my 'backyard IPA' because it seems to go well with grilled foods. Good price, good flavor.

3.62/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a very distinct yellow/orange glowing colour with a healthy amount of carbonation and a 2 finger head that disapated rapidly. A rather nice amount of lacing to report.

Aroma:
Grapefruit and citrus pine aroma.

Palate:
Very carbonated, dry and smooth.

Flavour:
A average balance of citrus, pine, and dark hops flavour. Has a bit of a bitter and distinct aftertaste, but nothing too bad. A bit strong at times whilst drinking.

Overall:
Very Average IPA but the price is good so I may have this again!

3.83/5  rDev +18.2%

Not overwhelmingly awesome but it's a decent tasting brew. Color is a little light, its perfectly white head is large when first poured but dissipates, and leaves some good lacing as its consumed. Smell is not intense, but there is some floral hints and some orange that is picked up. Taste of some orange peel, and slightly better than the smell. Some hops but nothing that bites back. A little sweet.

It is your basic IPA

3.76/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A golden yellow Ale. It smells fruity and hoppy however most of the fruit taste is lost in the hops when you take a drink. Overall it is bitter and hopsy tasting. I love hops so it is a really good beer.

3.67/5  rDev +13.3%

This is not an IPA in the true sense, nor is it a brew for hop heads. However, it is very drinkable and packs a punch more than the ABV: 6.50% would indicate. I had a bunch of $3 off coupons on 12 packs and was only paying $7.99, so it became my every day beer of choice. In that price range it beats most everything out there thus allowing me to savor the real IPA's.

3.93/5  rDev +21.3%

I have tried this beer several times before but never sat down to actually review it.

A - The appearance of this beer is slightly lighter than what I would expect however still that copper type color. Very light lacing occurred and not a ton of head which is very uncharacteristic of the style.

S - This seems very light in a aroma for an IPA. It still has the characteristic scents of pine, citrus (grapefruit) and floral hops.

T - The taste on this is much less bitter than several of the IPA's on the market. I think that this would be good for somone who has never been introduced to IPA's and may not necesarrily enjoy the bitterness added by the hops. It is still noticable however extremely palatable with a finish that dissipates quickly.

M - A bit more watery than what I would expect however still true to the style.

D - the drinkibility on this beer is amazing. Its bitter, however not too bitter making it a very good session beer. It is extremely refreshing as well. With the summer months coming this is one to crack while lying on the beach or a hammuk under a shade tree. I highly reccomend this for people just getting into the IPA style.

1.88/5  rDev -42%

A Safeway Club Card burning a hole in my pocket suckered me into purchasing a 12-pack at Safeway in Natomas, Sacramento.

A: Strange - golden, but not rich and caramelly looking like my favorite Boonville Hop Ottin' IPA. Poured into Bud Light Tahoe pub glass (appropriate), resulting in a 3/4 inch head.

S: Socks? A 1967 quarter minted in Denver but sniffed in Tuscaloosa in present day?

T: Slurping the head and there are some piquant hop notes. All right! What a deal! Let's drink. Hmm... What the!?!? Where'd the hops go? The other reviewer who mentioned that this "tastes like they squeezed lemon into it and added vodka" is spot-on. Awful, no clean hop notes, lots of metal. Harsh.

M: So angry.

O: Buy this beer and you'll be sorry. With the new Bel-Air in town dealing 22-oz pounders of Hop Ottin', and Lagunitas IPA readily available, Sacramento-Natomas IPA folks should wisely stow their Safeway Club Card and pony up for a real IPA. I'll be saving the other 11 of my 12-pack for the VERY latter stages of a party.

2.26/5  rDev -30.2%

I'm at Safeway on a Friday night getting some groceries and I think to myself this place should have at least one good IPA or hoppy beer worth trying. I saw the regular Sierra ales and the popular IPA (in black letters) beer which were too familiar to try again to I ventured out and got this beer. It states that it has lots of hops.

It pours pretty light and the smell of hops it very light. I would tell you you have to be looking for it to recognize there it any hops at all. Disappointing.

This beer strikes me as a cross between bud light and a wonderful stale IPA. Not good.

What was in the brewers mind making this? If your going to emphasize hops, make it count. Don't muck around. I would bet dollars to donuts that the brewery grinded it's hops to an almost powder form to get the most out of the hops. Hops drive the price up in beer especially over the last year with the short fall of harvests. Why do I think this? When you pour this beer look at the beer carefully you'll notice all the particles suspended. That's not good. Looks like finely chopped hops to me.

When you see this beer, just say no. There are so many other beers out there that are so much more worthy.

Long Hammer missed it's mark.

2.7/5  rDev -16.7%

Pours a golden color with about a finger of thin head that dissipates quickly into a thin white film around the edges.

Slight citrus (orange) aroma with some notes of grass. Very underwhelming for an American IPA.

Taste is also underwhelming for an American IPA. Almost no malt sweetness and very little actual hop flavor with pronounced bitterness from start to finish.

Carbonation is probably the best part of this beer as the mouthfeel is excellent. Slightly buttery reminds me of a bitter Sam Summer Ale.

Overall this is a mostly poor example of a modern American IPA. I expected a lot from this beer but alas it did not deliver. Their Winter Hook, on the other hand is amazing!

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

I really like this IPA. It is smooth and flavorful.

I like hops as much as the next guy, right on, but I don't need a snootful every time I take a sip of beer, and for that reason I like the Longhammer. The hops blend with the rest of the flavor profile really well, so that you get a nice unified sense of taste. They don't stand out noticeably on their own, which to me is a sign of a brewer that's paying attention.

Definitely recommended if you want a nice, subtle IPA.

3.57/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a one finger head, light head retention, with medium lacing. Body is a light copper, slightly cloudy with no sediment. On the nose, I get a hint of pine, which is unusual for a 6.2 abv IPA. Followed up with a hint of citrus and raspberry. On the palate I immediately get more pine than i got on the nose, the hops bite travels directly to the back ( most high abv's it usually travels to the sides as well as the back. Must be due to the dry hopping process. finishes crisp and semi dry with a pleasant note of citrus. decently session able for a dry hopped IPA.

3.79/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Visual: pours a light golden color.
Smell: Light fruity smell. Orange and grapefruit notes.
Taste: Wheat taste and the fruit smells match the taste.
Overall: Light body but not watery. Decent choice for a beer.

2.89/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Look: light/clear golden yellow
Smell: light fruit, hoppy
Taste: wheat, hoppy, very little fruit
Overall: this beer was too hoppy and bitter for my taste, unpleasant

2.93/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a light golden color with just a very slightest hint of copper. Small head that disappears quickly leaving a thin ring floating on top

Aroma is all spicy hops with hints of pine and a little citrus, but could use more hop aroma.

Hops dominate the flavor profile though for an IPA it could use considerable more hop flavor. Nice amount of malt sweetness to counter balance the hop bitterness. But again an IPA should have more hop flavor and bitterness.

Overall an ok beer, not so good as an IPA. Flavors are well balanced and there is some decent quality product used to make this beer, but I am disappointed in the amount of hop flavor and bitterness. They could push it further.

2.76/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Light slightly cloudy amber brew, small whiteish head, remained for a while, and left good lacing.

S - Not alot to be desired, a little leafy and citrus notes come through, a tad bit of pine, needs more though.

T - Reminds me of hefeweizen trying hard to be a IPA. Light, a little citrus and hops, pine, but little of it.

M - Nice carbonation, but bland.

D - I could drink this one, but it wouldn't be something I would buy again. Needs a more distinct flavor, hard to tel where they were going with it.

3.21/5  rDev -0.9%

Someone got a draft of this IPA right before me... and the tender poured it down the side, no head built up what so ever. I'm no draft expert but I think a little bit of head should still develop... absolutely no lacing to speak, bare down the glass. my friends bud amercian ale had lacing but this did not! Only reason it doesn't get an F for appearance is I couldn't get a great look at the color, darn black lights!
Anyhow... smelled light for an IPA, citrus hops are there, but a sweet sugary smell covers up and masks everything else
Taste is same as the smell... rather sweet... some citrus hops, maybe a hint of pine. Almost as if they added sugar to mask the bittering... or skipped the bittering method.
Mouthfeel is too light for an IPA. Not sticky or oily, reminds me of a lager.
Only reason i'm giving this a 4.0 drinkability is it went down easy, and could be a good transition beer for the macro drinkers. Got me buzzed... but made me crave a real IPA!

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%

A very good IPA....one you can usually get at your local store. this is my fall back IPA when i cannot get to the store that carries my favorites. the color is that of a dark golden.

the smell is that of citrus (grapefruit), it goes down with a little bite, but overall it is smooth. 6.2 %abv, and it is not the double IPA's I love (like i said it is my stand by). over all i rank it as one of my top 10 IPA's (probably around 6 or 7). Long hammer's bottle does not look like what is pictured above.

If you love IPA's....you will like this...Southern tier 2x and Laguntas Maximus are steps above this IPA, however you will pay a little more for them.

Redhook Long Hammer IPA from Redhook Ale Brewery