Redhook Doppelhook | Redhook Ale Brewery

redhook.com

Style: Doppelbock

Added by RedDiamond on 03-31-2009

4.38/5  rDev +48%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at the Woodinville brewery recently - one of their "blueline" special brews that's only available at the brewery. I liked it enough to pick up a growler and go out of my way to get another growler when I was (sort of) down that way again...

Anyway - I think this is an exceptionally good doppel bock, however they want to spell it. Great malt and solid flavour with the right amount of hops for my palate. I'm glad they're still carrying it and will probably figure out a return trip soon...

2.78/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I double-checked on the spelling (doppel-checked, you might say) and yes, the tap handle did spell this beer in a manner that is either uncommon or incorrect. Redhook serves this strong lager in a half-liter dimpled mug. I appreciated the glassware, but the overall taste of this winter seasonal is just too harsh with an excess of fusels and alcoholic prominence. In fact, it's a bit disappointing for its lack of fruitiness or chocolate character. It is tawny and clear with medium carbonation and a white head that quickly evacuates.

Tastes a bit like what you'd get if you gave a peppermint stick electro-shock therapy. Also, there's a touch of grape.

Redhook Doppelhook from Redhook Ale Brewery