Redhook Blackhook Porter | Redhook Ale Brewery

redhook.com

Style: English Porter

Added by BeerAdvocate on 10-24-2000

3.33/5  rDev -5.7%

This pours a dark brown with a smallish white head.The smell is very faint and I could make out only a small roated malt aroma.The taste has a roasted malt flavor and a little bit of coffee,but it's nothing great by all means.The m/f is too light for this type of beer,but it is pretty well balanced.This is pretty much an average porter,nothing special,nothing great.I wouldn't turn one down,but I wouldn't go out of my way to get one either.

4.23/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very very dark brown that appears to be black in bad lighting. Has a small to averaged sized off-white head which disipates to a very thin lacing.

Smells are sometimes earthy, with baker's chocolate coming through perhaps more dominantly.

Tastes are mostly malty, with a gentle touch of hops, coffee-like flavors, and baker's chocolate.

Overall this beer has a nicely balanced taste.

3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

My first Redhook brew in a while, but not a bad one. I really enjoyed this beaut, especially the huge, fluffy head. It had awesome retention and lasted the whole drink. The smell was quite malty, with chocolate, some subtle spices, and roasted malts evident. Taste similar, but it also had elements of lights hops in the finish. All in all a good brew that didn't disappoint.

4.25/5  rDev +20.4%

The color is black, with a copperish brown in the edges (when held up to a light). The light brown head is initially thick and creamy, but eventually winds down to a very thin lace. The nose is dominated by roasted aromas, but there is certainly some malty sweetness too. And that’s pretty the much the nature of the taste as well: roasted and toasted, with some sweet malt flavor as well. That’s not to say that this brew isn’t complex, its quite multifaceted, it’s just that every flavor has some sort of “burnt” quality: there is roasted coffee (probably the dominate flavor), toasted grain, burnt toffee and definitely a bitter chocolate flavor. One of these beers will leave that bitter, burnt flavor in your mouth for hours, ya know, like what you get when you drink a really dark, roasty cup of coffee. This beer is so rich and earthy that I might have mistaken for a stout. The mouthfeel is creamy, though just a tad on the thin side, with mellow carbonation.

One of the better American porters I’ve had in quite some time. It’s rich and roasty, and very drinkable, would make a fantastic session beer. Highly recommended.

3.85/5  rDev +9.1%

I'm a Blackhook homer, and I'm not afraid to admit it. Blackhook is the beer that sped me down the dark road of stouts and porters, and I shall forever be grateful to it (I've also got some decent karma with this beer, as I cannot count the number of free pitchers I've gotten over the years).

Appearance: Well, kind of like Mary Steenburgen, I find this beer to be beautiful where many others do not. It's filtered, which I dont' care for, but when you hold it up to the light, the deep ruby that glows within is absolutely gorgeous.

Smell: Grainy bitterness, with just the barest roasted hint in the background. The nose is incredibly subtle, just enough there to remind you that it is, in fact, a beer.

Taste: Like it or not, this is the beer I compare all others to. It's hard to describe, really. It has a nice grainy bitterness to it, a very, very faint roasted quality that pops up late in your mouth, and then a slight, lingering yeastiness. I don't typically dig yeastiness in the finish, but I'll always love my Blackhook. This is a beer where you definitely don't lose much by drinking it out of the bottle, and I can appreciate that.

Mouthfeel: This is about the only area I'm continually disappointed in. It's thin, no two ways about it. I'd like a little more body to it, but doubt I'll ever get it.

Drinkability: I session the absolute hell out of this beer on a regular basis. People have their 'go-to' beers that they like when they don't want something complicated, this beer is mine.

2.67/5  rDev -24.4%

The beer poured dark brown with a tiny off-white head. The head has died down to nothing, and no lace is forming on the glass as I drink.

The beer has a mild coffee smell to it, very mild.

This beer tastes very thin and watery. There is a mild, ashy bitterness and a little cocoa in the flavor, but it is ruined by the fact that it is so thin tasting. This is what I would imagine something like Fuller's London Porter would taste like if you poured water into it.

The mouthfeel of this beer is terrible. It is incredibly thin and watery.

The drinkability is ok, I guess. It's easy to drink, but the lame flavor and pitiful mouthfeel make me not really want another.

How sad, one of the main reasons I bought this Redhook sampler case was because they don't sell this beer in six packs around here. Oh well, at least it was pretty cheap.

4.53/5  rDev +28.3%

Blackhook was a delicious example of a dark porter. The pour was a dark roasted color that produced an off-tan head. However, the head dissipated fast. The smell had a distinct roasted character with a slight undertone of sourness and chocolate. There was not any detectable hop nose, which makes me think this was not an American porter style. The taste was mellow with an even balance of sweet and bitter. The smooth feel of this beer caused me to take the time to savor the first sip and got many flavors in the aftertaste. The most prevalent flavors are that of roasted malt and chocolate malt. Overall, a great beer that is easy to drink.

3.63/5  rDev +2.8%

Pours a nice dark ruby and holds a good sized, slowly receding tan head. Has a slightly burnt roasty smell and taste and is lighter bodied than other Porters I've sampled although those were of the Baltic style. Not much carbonation. Finished smooth and proved to be, for me, a nice dinner beer that doesn't take over the meal.

3.71/5  rDev +5.1%

Had on nitro-tap from the brewery in Portsmouth, New Hampshire. The beer was presented to be in a nonic pint glass and was a very dark brown, nearly black in color. About one-finger of dense, creamy head sat atop the beer and there were no other outright signs of carbonation. Excellent lacing throughout the sample.

The smell had a weak roasted grain character with hints of black coffee, expresso, and a bit of vanilla.

The taste has a nice firm body built with roasted character and a velvety smooth creamy finish. Coffee flavors were peaking and softer notes of toffee and chocolate in the background. It had a slightly dry finish with a faint bitterness as well.

Moderate to heavy on the palate with little carbonation.

A drinkable porter, although it reminded me more of a sweet stout. I've heard it has a whole different flavor from the bottle, so I'll shall have to compare and contrast in the future. Nothing wow-ing here, but a solid brew. Probably my favorite from the Redhook Line now that Double Black Stout has bit the dust.

Appearance is a burnt mahogany that allows a little light to peek through, coffee colored foam that leaves sticky lace. Aroma is a nice Starbuck’s Latte with hazelnuts and cocoa. Initial taste brings in the roasted grains, malt, dark chocolate and hops. Mouth feel is good carbonation. Medium body. Dextrin and malt remain sweet to the end, and the other flavors waft away – leaving a clean palate ready for food and/or dessert.

3.32/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours dark, near-black with ruby red undertones. Almost no head, despite a relatively aggressive pour. What little there is appears off-white and dissippates quickly.

Light roastiness and a pleasant hoppiness to the aroma. A touch of sweetness, like some kind of dark candy, and a hint of dark chocolate. Quite subtle. Nothing really jumps at me.

There's a dry roastiness here, balanced by a dark sweetness, like chocolate. Quite pleasant, but again, nothing jumps out at me. It's nice, but not special.

Pretty light-bodied and easy to drink. Pleasant, enjoyable, but not outstanding. I probably won't bother seeking it out again, but it certainly not a bad beer.

3.08/5  rDev -12.7%

Beers from Redhook are hard to come by in SA anymore. It had been a long time since I had tried Blackhook so I snatched it up. It is a shame there is no more Double Black Stout, I always liked that one.
This beer poured out a deep brown with a little ruby color around the edges. A nice 1/2" head fell to about 1/4" and then hung around a little while. Nice lacing on the glass.
The aroma of this beer to my nose was that of a pale ale. I could not discern much of the roasted aroma I was expecting and have come to love in a porter. The only smell I could pick out was a slightly citrusy hop aroma.
The flavor followed along the same lines. This really has a pale ale flavor to me. A little thin in the mouth and not much roasted malt. Nice hops in the end. The beer tastes good, not a bad beer at all, just not sure that it is a porter in the Fuller's London Porter sense of the style.
This is a very drinkable beer,3 or 6 would not hurt a man.

3.8/5  rDev +7.6%

Served in a tall pilsner glass on a nitro tap. The color was a typical very dark, almost black amber with a constant nitro creamy head. The smell was a dark chocolate sweetness. The taste was strong on the chocolate sweetness, though more of a dark chocolate sweet, with a bitterness that starts out non-existant but then quickly sets in, leaving a good bit in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel seemed just a touch thin for the beer on nitrogen. Drinkability-wise, this was a surprisingly good little beer to sit back and have a few of.

Redhook is one of the rare micros that can be found in WV. We all know the story, so I tried to be open-minded when I sat down and had this, and just like the ESB it's a very nice beer. A nice chocolate flavor that is kept in check by a decent hop bitterness. While the nitrogen ruined it a little bit, it wasn't quite as bad as one might think, and I hope to give this beer a try in the bottle or on CO2 and compare.

Had on tap at the brewpub. Very dark brown when served, came topped with 1/2 of thick tan head. Some metallic notes in the aroma. It would have been nice to try this as a regular(non-nitro) offering, as mouthfeel wise it came across as watery. Mostly low malt, with a roasty finish. Again: I think the beer would have come off better served non-nitro.

3.1/5  rDev -12.2%

Dark chocolate brown with black cherry highlights through the far bottom edge of the glass and bright orange highlights through the near bottom edge. The smallish head of toasted tan falls to a thick disk within minutes and leaves a measly amount of thin, filmy lace just above the surface of the beer. Not bad, not great.

The beer smells hoppy, but not really porter-like. The nose consists of a mini burst of citrus zest mingled with weakly toasted malt. No roasted barley, chocolate, coffee, etc. My love of hops results in a higher smell score than the beer really deserves (I decided not to put on my style Nazi hat today). If you like your porters to smell like porters, subtract a full point.

Blackhook Porter comes across as a hoppy brown ale... and not a particularly good one. Gross undermalting is the beer's major downfall and is the reason it lacks porterishness. I pick up a mild cocoa powder flavor on the finish, but it's much too little, much too late. The thin, somewhat fizzy mouthfeel doesn't help.

I loved Winterhook, but my second 'hook' falls woefully short of what I would consider to be good beer. In fact, I'm fairly certain that in a blind taste test I wouldn't even identify Blackhook as a porter at all. Although there are too many major faults for it to be salvageable, cranking up the malt content would be a good place to start.

3.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Born on date 01/24/05. Pours a dark chocolate brown with a thin tan head. The smell of coffee and chocolate roasted malts are prevalent. Weak taste of chocolate and coffee malts with very little hop bite. To tell the truth, I am disapointed. Too thin for a porter in my opinion.

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

12 OZ. Twist off (don’t some people call these “jewel” bottles?)

Pertinent preliminary comments: Red Hook is one of those companies that makes me feel at home somehow. No daring, spectacular recipes, but everything they make seems to be really tasty, and I seem to remember that this brew is no exception. I cut my beer-drinking teeth on their ESB and IPA (once known exclusively as the “Ballard Bitter” – Ya sure, ya betcha!), and have many fond memories of drinking their beer. Now, it’s been awhile, so we’ll see what happens.

AROMA: Burnt toast and damp coffee grounds as well as dark bitter chocolate. Somehow it smells COLD, colder than the beer is right now. If Coors Light is “the coldest tasting beer in the world,” could this be the coldest smelling beer?

APPEARANCE: Dark brown with ruby highlights. I can see the lights of our dining room chandelier through it. Thick tan head with SERIOUS staying power – I had to halt the pour in midstream so I didn’t overflow the glass. Head recedes to a nice cap with a little bit of lacing.

FLAVOR: Good malt backbone to this one even though it’s on the lighter side of average. The burnt toast from the aroma isn’t as present here, but it is here nonetheless. Some chocolate, more coffee in the middle. Pretty sweet in the finish, but not cloying. I think I’m detecting a little bit of hop bittering in the finish as it warms, but not a huge amount – just enough to offset the sweetness. This is very mild and really well balanced.

MOUTHFEEL: Pretty light. Very effortless to swallow. Close to the weight of water without actually TASTING like it.

DRINKABILITY: Excellent. I could easily see having several of these over the course of an evening. Another one of those beers for me that seems to disappear faster than I’d prefer….

OVERALL IMPRESSION: Yet another solid offering from Red Hook. It’s very simple, balanced, flavorful, and quaffable, just like everything else they brew. Sort of like if your grandmother brewed beer instead of baking cookies.

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown body with a small head that quickly dissipates into a ring around the side of the glass; a little bit of lacing

Smell: Milk chocolate and nuts; subtle undertones of coffee

Taste: Relatively mild flavors; a bit of chocolate, coffee and nuts; finishes with some bitterness

Mouthfeel: A bit light for a porter but nicely carbonated

Drinkability: Despite my complaints about the beer, I enjoyed drinking it; it's a nice crossover beer into the style and it goes down nicely, with just enough taste to satisfy

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Not too shabby. It's a really dark black porter with a libht brown foamy head. It's nice and bitter and it sits in your stomach heavy like you'd expect a porter to.

Once again RedHook has made a very decent brew. It's definitely worth giving a shot.

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours a dark brown color with a decent sized light brown head. Head dissapears into a fine lace that sticks to the glass. Coffee and roasted malts come out in the smell. The body in kind of light compaired to most porters I have tried. Despite that, the taste is a wonderful mix of Chocolate and coffee malts. There is a nice bitter-sweet aftertaste too.

This is very drinkable porter indeed. Makes a great session beer. I do wish that the body was a little thicker, but I like this beer either way.

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours with a two-finger light tan head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Deep red/amber color. Medium carbonation and heavy bodied. Nose is roasted coffee. Bottled on 5/14/03 - now 19 months later and it tastes fine. Starts and finishes with a roasted chocolate/coffee flavor. $1.75 for a 12 oz bottle from Oliver's Beverages Albany, NY.

3.81/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours a very dark color with a small head that dies off quickly and leaves no lacing on the glass. Aroma of roasted grains and chocolate mostly, but fairly weak. The flavor is comprised of the coffee/roasted malts, chocolate and a bit of alcohol. Smooth and easy to drink. Seems like it could have a bit more body, but it's a good beer.

2.53/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is lighter in color and flavor than almost any other porter I have tried. That might not be such a bad thing except that there were other flaws to this beer. Nose is roasted chocolate and coffee and maybe some alcohol. The taste begins with that roasted chocolate/coffee combo but its rather weak. Roasted barley comes and goes very quickly. Body is thin and hurts the flavors potential. The finish really got me though. It was buttery and had an alcohol kick. Really weird and something I did not enjoy. This beer seems to be really mainstreamed and maybe there were some problems with the yeast as well. Not something I'd go back to.

3.03/5  rDev -14.2%

served on nitro tap.

pours a blackity black color with tan, creamy nitro-addled head. no cascading, though.
smells of chocolate and butter.
tastes like a diacetyl bomb. there's a bit of nice roasty, chocolatey flavor here, but it gets overshadowed by too much diacetyl, which gives off a very very buttery aftertaste.
thick body on this one, with the familiar, nitro smoothness. somewhat drinkable, but tone down the butter! (and i very rarely complain of butteriness, but this one was egregious.)

3.68/5  rDev +4.2%

Pours out to a dark brown to black in the glass with a slight head. Aroma is that of roasted malt and coffee. The taste is straightforward malt with a hints of expresso and chocolate, albeit light. This would be a good session porter. Not too heavy and drinkable.

Redhook Blackhook Porter from Redhook Ale Brewery