Redhook Eisbock 28 | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: Eisbock

Eisbock 28 is an ice processed winter warmer. This rich lager is aged for months at temperatures well below freezing and is a deep gold color and has a smooth and malty flavor with bittersweet complexities. This highly unique beer is unlike any other and to our knowledge Redhook is the only American Brewer currently brewing it. This traditional winter beer is very drinkable, even with its high alcohol content and is perfect before or after dinner.

Added by drabmuh on 10-01-2010

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

4.48/5  rDev +22.4%

Bottled 30 Aug 10, Price $6.99

A: clear, nice light brown/amberish color, very nice frothy thick head that persisted
S: deep caramelized malt, dark fruit
T: deep caramelized malt, good hop balanced bitterness, a lot of heat from EtOH but well-made
M: chewy, dense, good eisbock, still very hot from EtOH after 20 months in the bottle

4.5/5  rDev +23%

This is what I call "cheese beer" meaning that it would go well with a cheese tray with say Havarti or Swiss and perhaps deli meats like ham, pastrami or turkey. I am a huge fan of ALL of Red Hook's products, and I have yet to find even one that I don't like. This has a very complex flavor which is hard to describe for me. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. There is a wonderful sort of aftertaste which reminds me of nuts. I would recommend drinking this chilled, but for cold weather drinking by a fire with a snack tray while watching TV or a movie. 4.5/5.0. I almost gave this one straight 5's, but it is not what I would drink normally, so I was conservative in my rating. Cheers!

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

4.5/5  rDev +23%

2010 bottle aged in fridge since purchased (at release). Served in a chalice.

Beautiful dark amber tone with a small lace head (reminiscent of a thin paisley doily) that lasted throughout consumption.

Beautifully aromatic notes of sherry, dried fruit, and Munich malt. Almost like sticking your head in a sack of freshly milled munich malt.

It tasted well aged. Slight booze on the back of you nose when swallowed. The bitterness ratio was slightly on the sweet side, but not syrupy. notes of caramel candy (the cube shaped kind wrapped in clear cellophane) and dried fruit played off each other. No hop flavor or aroma. Malty sweet.

Mouthfeel was thick and low carbonation but somehow seemed dry once swallowed.

Over all a great beer. I bought two bottles when this hit the shelf at my grocer. Drank the first right away and it was incredibly boozy and 2 dimensional. The timing popping this one open was perfect. It aged very well (tip my hat to Redhook). too bad its gone forever....

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

AGED REVIEW
Bomber date stamped Aug 30th 2010

Purchased from the "Cellared / Aged" refrigerator at my local craft beer store two months ago and stored in my basement cellar until recently. Therefore, I was not in control of the environment in which this the one was stored for most of its cellaring duration, I only know for certain that it was under refrigeration at the point in time when I bought it, and the store manager who would have known more details about it was not on duty at the time...

It is colored light transparent mahogany, sort of like a lighter maple syrup in terms of color hue. A brief moment of fizz climbing up the sides of the snifter gives up the ghost in twenty seconds and from then on the brew is completely dead flat. I can't fault it too harshly for that, however, given the age of the bottle.

Heavy amounts of raisin toffee and toasted nuts are present in the nose, along with a medium level of booziness. I agree very much with all the other BA reviews that mention a strong aroma of pie crust. There is a mild aroma of age-degraded earthy-floral hopping once the glass warms up for a bit.

Flavor is overall like a sweeter-balanced barleywine, or a Samiclaus with less spicing to it. Sweet molasses, caramel, dark fruit flambe and nutty toffee dominate over another wisp of faded earthen hopping and perhaps even a hint of yeast spice. This is definitely a dessert beer meant for sipping slowly.

Mouthfeel is a bit too much like maple syrup in terms of viscosity and the coating viscous nature of its texture, which would have been a non-issue were there actually any carbonation left in the bottle. The heavy chewy body is just fine, but the 'clingy-ness' of it is, let us say, somewhat less appreciated.

4.25/5  rDev +16.1%

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle tried 21 Oct 2010. Courtesy of ratatat & S, thanks! Served in the 0.4 L Radeberger mug.

Huge light brown head. Well carbonated. Clear reddish brown in color. Aroma is sweet, caramel, ethanol and molasses. Quite syrupy and boozy. Lots of dried fruit. Syrupy. Ethanol comes on strong in the finish and aftertaste. Did I mention syrupy? Sweetness fades to just a lightly bitter aftertaste.

A says this is like a high class 40, but she's only had Hurricane, so it's possible she doesn't really know what she's talking about.

Redhook Eisbock 28 from Redhook Ale Brewery