Redhook Gamechanger Ale | Redhook Ale Brewery

3.17 w/ 280 ratings

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by KYGunner on 08-10-2013

Liked:
3.17/5
Alströms:

Reviews by Aaron_Ramson:
3.83/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Resiny piney bitter backbone that seems almost harsh on its own, luckily we were sold it as a chaser to a Bloody Mary at a Buffallo Wild Wings. Not a great pale ale but very signature in its flavor. Malty, bready, with almost a British tasting strain of yeast. Wanting to try again!

2.64/5  rDev -16.7%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Brown color with a thin white head. Lacing on the glass.

Smell: Not much for any aromas. Very light malts.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of light hops, malts, some wheat too.

Overall: Not too bad. Glad I tried it.

4.5/5  rDev +42%

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%

3.31/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

3.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I tried this for the first time tonight at my local Buffalo Wild Wings. I normally drink darker beers, but I wanted to try something different, and the menu made it look good. It looked good in person, as well; clean, with a classic caramel coloring. Visually very appealing. I have seen a lot of reviewers say their beer didn't have any head; the head on mine was somewhat smaller, but noticeable and attractive. The beer didn't have any strong scent to it, but it tasted very good. It's an American pale ale, and a good representative of such: very clean, very hoppy, but not overwhelmingly so. It drinks smooth, with a slightly sweet finish. I thought it had a very nice mouthfeel; full, but not too thick, with a slight carbonation to it. It was highly enjoyable. I had a couple while waiting for my friends, and a couple more with my meal - pairs well with wings, which I guess is the idea that BWW is going for!

All in all, I'd say it's a very good beer. Not amazing, and probably not an actual game changer, but very tasty, and worth a try.

2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Red hook Ale Brewery "Gamechanger Ale"
on tap @ Buffalo Wild Wings, JFK International Airport

I was also told this was an IPA, which I was surprised at given the current beer climate. How can you call something that is clearly not an IPA an IPA when everyone knows exactly what's going on? "Gamechanger"? I don't think so, unless it's being marketed to their crowd that doesn't actually drink craft brews, because as we all know, everyone's taking an interest these days. Beyond that I wasn't disappointed except that it really is lacking hops. It was more to my liking than an American macro lager, and it was well balanced and drinkable. Not a bad basic amber ale.

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%