Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Redhook Gamechanger Ale | Redhook Ale Brewery

3.17/5
Okay

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by KYGunner on 08-10-2013

4.75/5  rDev +49.8%

4.5/5  rDev +42%

4.5/5  rDev +42%

4.34/5  rDev +36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this beer for the first time at a buffalo wild wings. I had started with the leinenkugel vanilla porter which was tasty. My friend had the game changer and said it was really good. So I had to try it for myself. He was right. It does have a very good flavor. Appearance isn't all that but for an ale it's suitable. Hardly any head to the pour. Amber in color. However where it excels is in the flavor. I was pleasantly surprised. It has a very hoppy/citrusy flavor. Reminds me of a blue moon hopped up on Roids. Seems to go great with hot wings. Couldn't believe how many low ratings it had on beer advocate so I felt I had to put in an honest review. I will say without doubt this is one of the better pale ales that I've drank. It's a beer that I will drink again.

4.25/5  rDev +34.1%

Totally disagree with the reviews. Here's why and here goes:

A: Very nice looking. Light brown-amber (perfectly clear) with plenty of carbonation. Also has a massive head that leaves a ton (and I mean A TON) of lacing. Fantastic appearance. 5/5

S: Not bad, but not too good either. Caramel, toffee and some baker's yeast. Hops are not apparent. Just alright. 3.5/5.0

T: Delicious. A very rich malt backbone containing lots of crystal malt. Caramel and toffee are apparent. Some baker's yeast. Hops really aren't apparent, but given the malt profile this is OK. I wouldn't exactly call this a pale ale. It has a similar malt profile to Fuller's ESB. 4.5/5

M: Very nice and smooth, actually. Plenty of carbonation as well. Really liked the mouthfeel. 4.5/5.0

O: A very well-made beer. Will have whenever I go to B-dubs. 4.25/5.00

4.2/5  rDev +32.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Good flavor and color. Great mix with food.

4.04/5  rDev +27.4%

4.03/5  rDev +27.1%

It's not that good, a solid 4, which is still good, nothing over that.

3.94/5  rDev +24.3%

Buffalo Wild Wings is a personal favorite but I must admit that I had to laugh a little when they put a flyer in front of me that stated Red Hook had created a craft beer especially for them or at least buffalo wings. After drinking a couple I will further add that this is really good.

The color was rich amber with a thick almost meringue like head. The head was so fluffy and light that I had to fight through it to get to the beer.

The scent was malty, caramel malts and barley. Smooth semi-sweet and a touch bitter you can catch some hop aroma.

The taste is of strong caramel malts, barley, grains and an end of earthy, piney hops. Not necessarily sugary it is lightly sweet with some roasted textures. Very smooth and it has a nice balanced carbonation.

This is a nice surprise as it was appropriate for the food but offered a tasty craft beer experience.

3.91/5  rDev +23.3%

3.83/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Resiny piney bitter backbone that seems almost harsh on its own, luckily we were sold it as a chaser to a Bloody Mary at a Buffallo Wild Wings. Not a great pale ale but very signature in its flavor. Malty, bready, with almost a British tasting strain of yeast. Wanting to try again!

3.81/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I had this at Buffalo Wild Wings on 6/1/15. I was told this was an amber. It smelled, looked, and tasted like one. I don't think this is an APA at all.

It was tasty. Caramel and roasted malts, slight citrus and spice, with a sharp pinch of hop. It went down easy. Especially good with boneless wings.

I'd have it on tap again.

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%

3.79/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Redhook Gamechanger Ale from Redhook Ale Brewery