Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Redhook Out Of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter | Redhook Ale Brewery

Redhook Out Of Your Gourd Pumpkin PorterRedhook Out Of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter
3.47/5
Okay

Redhook Ale Brewery
New Hampshire, United States
redhook.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

Out of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter is dark chestnut brown in color and is made with pureed pumpkin. Cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger are added to the whirlpool and maple syrup is added during fermentation. This full-bodied, rich roasty porter makes you want to eat turkey and watch football, or build a bonfire.

Added by Tdizzle on 08-21-2013

4.23/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.05/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dark brownish red, darker and slightly more opaque I think than Blackhook. Rich golden brown head, thin and fizzy at first but mellowing to a fine layer of creamy film, with decent, heavy lacing. It smells like a warm Coke or Pepsi with a touch of pumpkin spice. Taste is roastier and more robust than a soft drink. However, a bit of that cola flavor is still there. Could definitely be more from the species than anything else. It’s not quite either smoky or earthy, but would be almost meaty were it not for the subtle but delicious pumpkin and spice qualities (clove, cinnamon, perhaps a little else). Aftertaste is not quite peppery due to the added spices, but it is close. Great balance, not too much pumpkin, and a better porter than the Blackhook, I’d say. Full-bodied, thick, and brothy, with velvety but fine prickly carbonation, from start to finish. A bit of heat just behind the spices and astringency. Not bad for less than 6% ABV.

3.57/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.35/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I'm surprised that I like this pumpkin porter. Call me basic.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a good pumpkin brew, but lets start with the bottle first... Ugh! Come on Red Hook, appearance is everything. It looks like a medicine bottle, or a bottle of molasses, not beer. Otherwise, the brew,"Out of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter" is good for a pumkin beer and a porter. It pours a dark brown color with a healthy head. Little to no lacing. Its got a mild porter aroma and taste. I definitely taste the pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. I think its the ginger flavor that masks some of the more traditionally rich porter characteristics. The taste finishes with the maple syrup flavor, but not too sweet. Although I never saw much lacing or bubbles, the feel was that of a mild, fizzy stout and enjoyable. Overall, I'd say this is a smooth, mild-moderate full-bodied, porter with really good holiday spice flavors. Very drinkable and it goes well with any Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas or Hanukkah meal. Good job Red Hook (just find a more attractive bottle!)!

3.78/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. “Pitch brown” with no light penetration. Thin whitish head quickly fades. Nose of toasted malts and vague spice along with something reminiscent of pumpkin rind. Taste is similar, with burnt toast and charred malt up front with a definite pumpkin-y flavor mixed in along with complementary spices (not really getting anything specific, except maybe some cinnamon). Mouth is OK but a bit thin for style. Overall an interesting twist on a seasonal porter. Would try again.

4.8/5  rDev +38.3%

4.45/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.28/5  rDev +23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

3.18/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

4.5/5  rDev +29.7%

I really liked this one. Good taste, nice and dark with a thick tan head. Smelled good. Right amount of carbonation.

3.39/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I purchased a 6 pack for $3.99 at my local store. I enjoy a spiced beer and I also enjoy porters and stouts. It poured a very dark reddish brown with a good head that dissipated fairly quickly. There was minimal lacing but it did maintain a small ring of foam on the edges. The spices were fairly well balanced for a spiced beer. I judge them by whether or not it tasted like something that came from the oven and this brew did not taste like it. It tasted good and I enjoyed it. Especially at $3.99 a sixer. I do wish that more of the porter base came through and that it didn't feel so thin in the mouth. Overall I would give it a solid "pretty good" and at the price point I paid will grab another 6 pack tomorrow. If I had paid $9.99 I may had not been so gracious in my review but I did enjoy it.

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.48/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I loved the foamy light tan head. Loved the round sweetness and spice weaving in with the nice dark portery taste. Mouth feel just a little thin for such rich flavors, but perhaps that would make it more refreshing with a meal - I just had a little sweet dessert with it. Overall, a lovely autumn surprise. I've never had anything from this brewery and tried it on a lark.

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%

A: Dark brown in color with a dark tan head.

S: Cinnamon, ginger, and clove right away with dark grain following. There is almost a pumpkin bread smell to it, but something just a little off. Like how the year round Christmas store smells a little off.

T: Cinnamon and clove, with some light brown sugar and in the finish there is a touch of pumpkin. Nice and bready, although perhaps a touch on the boring side.

M: Medium light in body with semi high carbonation, and perhaps a touch of a dry finish.

O: Decent, but a little on the ho-hum side.

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%

3.14/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

3.29/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.21/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

My only second offering from Redhook and it was certainly better than what I had tried before.

I have to say, this is probably one of the most beautiful porters I have ever had. The drink is black, *black* I tell ya, and with a nice tan head and great lacing down the glass - very impressive. The scent was all pumpkin, but mixed with some coriander for good effect. Carbonated for sure, but not so much to distract, it unfortunately had a water texture sloshing across my tongue. Even so, the taste was truly amazing - strong porter flavor with just the most distant of hints of pumpkin. I would have liked to take the pumpkin some more, but the porter flavor was good enough for me.

I had debated whether to pick this bottle up the other day, I'm sure glad I did.

3.34/5  rDev -3.7%

3.5/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass.

L: Very dark, as a porter should be. Very little head. Nice, faint tan lacing at the edges that remained throughout.

S: This was the only disappointment for me. Very little aroma--a hint of spice and, of course, pumpkin.

T: Smooth and creamy; chocolate, coffee, nutmeg, and pumpkin (duh). Incredible flavor with little lingering aftertaste.

F: Sits nicely on the palate--lighter than most porters--very pleasant. Folks who don't typically like porters would probably enjoy this.

O: In the interest of full disclosure, I'm a big fan of Red Hook, and I think they do many things very well. That said, this is a good beer, a little better than some of the reviews might suggest.

We have enough pumpkins ales. A pumpkin porter just makes sense.

Redhook Out Of Your Gourd Pumpkin Porter from Redhook Ale Brewery