The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged | The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

Added by scottoale on 08-23-2006

#591

Ratings: 1,895 |  Reviews: 701
4.12/5  rDev -4%

On-tap at Hops & Pie, served in a Great Divide tulip.

I couldn't drink more than 1-of these, and for me, it needs to be the last beer of the night. With that being said, this was an excellent way to end the meal.

This is the closest beer I've had to a Madeira. It really reminded me of a Madeira with the dried fruit and oxidized notes of raisins, hints of prune, and walnut-like notes, as well as a bit of maple syrup. I like the nose better than the palate, which is a bit sweet for my personal tastes. Good, nonetheless.

Lightly carbonated. With a few swirls, a minimal head re-forms and subsides quickly. Definitely on the sweeter side of things. Nice complexity on the nose and palate, with the aromas blossoming and the flavors becoming more pronounced as the beer warms-up a bit.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

375ml Bottle

2008 Bottling

A big thanks goes out to Kegatron for sending me this brew in a recent trade, thanks again Heath! Angel's Share gurgles from the bottle into my snifter black as night. There isn't a hint of light peeking through the body of this brew. Two fingers of khaki head grew slowly on a soft pour instantly becoming chunky and creamy, very meringue like. The head did eventually fall but not very much, settling at a finger of perfect creaminess and never dropping any lower. The carbonation isn't visible but you can see where the bubbles collide with the head to keep it going strong. Sheet lacing gets left behind every time the glass gets tipped. This is an outstanding looking brew with an incredible head especially when taking into consideration the high abv!

The nose on this beer is crazy unique. It's funny but the first thing I notice when my stout gets in the glass is toasted walnut and there's a lot of it. Not far behind is insanely rich vanilla oak, sweet bourbon, mildly roasty malts, a dash of heavy cream, cocoa powder and caramel. I can't take my nose from the glass. Each consecutive whiff brings out deeper complexity. I'm really digging the walnut quality that gets things started and never fully leaves. I can't wait to dive into this brew.

The flavor is deep but doesn't quite show the depth the nose did. Again, the toasted walnuts lead the way and give me a slight sensation of the bitter pith (?) when eaten from the shell. The barrel aging quality doesn't show up at first but the heavy cream, cocoa, and rich caramel do. There's a slight roastiness in the back and the toasted walnuts comes through again on the finish. The barrel aging waits until the second half to really step forward with vanilla, buttery oak and spicy bourbon. This is a deep complex brew but the flavor doesn't reach that of the aroma. When I drink this beer on the colder side there's a slight metallic quality that goes away as it warms.

The body has, surprisingly, a medium-full mouthfeel. The carbonation is dialed a little high which pushes the beer over the tongue too quickly and creates a little frothiness. It's not too far off but I'd enjoy this one more if the bubbles were fewer and farther between.

This is a big sipping brew but the excessive carbonation makes it drink easier than it should. The abv will catch up to you if you're not careful but with that said this goes down very easy.

Another big thanks to Heath for this brew! I've been a little underwhelmed with Lost Abbey and especially their pricing, but this beer is a good one. Angel's Share is very interesting and the bourbon barrel aging adds another layer of depth. I'd like to try the brandy version to compare.

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

I wanted to try out my new Lost Abbey stemware glass and the only proper way to break it in is with a top-notch Lost Abbey beer. I've had this beer back in March at the release but didn't take notes. This bottle is now about 5 months old.

Ok, with all the stories of over-carbonated Angel's Share (bourbon) bottles I can't say I wasn't scared of taking off the cork and popping this one. LOUD pop with foam slowly rising to the top of the bottle so I quickly tipped the bottle to my glass. Poured a dark caramel color with about two inches of mocha colored foam; there are some shades of red when held to the light. The foam was soft looking and soapy, leaving a coat of bubbles on the side of the glass as it settled. Impressive retention and lacing with a string of bubble racing upward from the side of the glass.

Boy, do I love Angel's Share. Sweet raisins, caramel, bourbon, and brown sugar hit the nose instantly. The second wave includes notes of nutty malts, chocolate, coffee, dates, vanilla and wood. The aroma is really soft but complex. Very little heat is detected, but mostly it's just wrapped around the aroma. After a while I can smell some grape and cherry notes. As the beer settles it opens up more roasted qualities and more chocolate to the front. The aroma tends to tone down but I'm still enjoying it. A little vinous aroma develops also.

The first sip is almost an intense sweetness. I taste some molasses, rich chocolate, brown sugar, bourbon, roasted malts, caramel, maple syrup and some alcohol heat in the finish. More dark fruits reveal themselves in the succeeding sips; there are some raisins, caramelized fruits, and a bit of dates in the finish. The sweetness seems to either tone down or the palate gets accustomed to it.

The beer has a somewhat thin mouth-feel near the end, it doesn't exactly coat the palate, and the carbonation just doesn't seem to work for me. This beer has the type of carbonation that feels forced and attacks the tongue a little bit instead of lifting the beer and gliding past the tongue. The alcohol is also a tad too present. After the beer warms up a bit there are more chocolate, coffee, and a bit of toffee flavors in the finish.

I remember the brandy version being a bit smoother and more easy to drink (so easy that the 12.5% sneaked up on me! And that one was 750ml too). This one is still pretty drinkable but it could be better.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Black as night with a murky look to it. Tiny wisp of off white head is scarce. A little bit of Brussels lacing is present. All I get in the aroma is sweet bourbon and a bit of dark malt. The mouth is silky smooth and viscous. The flavor is initially dark malt and roasted barley and quickly turns very sweet with the bourbon,black licorice,fig and plum notes.

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Drank from a 12.7 ounce bottle
Served in a snifter
Acquired in a trade with mikesgroove

Review #450

The beer poured a dark brown color with a thin, bubbly, tan head that quickly faded to a thick, frothy, lasting ring. Definitely lighter in color and thinner in viscosity than I anticipated.

The aroma was outrageous. Holy bourbon. After cracking the cork, I could smell the beer from nearly two feet away. Super sweet and oaky with strong notes of vanilla. Pure Madagascar vanilla beans, to be precise. Dried fruits (figs and plums) came through as well. Almost candy-like.

The taste was very similar to the aroma. Super oaky and bourbony with a rich alcohol warming. Vanilla and brown sugar came through strong. Maple sugar notes appeared as well. Some dark fruits (prunes and raisin) were also detectable. The beer was a touch roasty and spicy on the back end with a dry, woody, tannic, alcohol-rich finish. As much as I enjoyed the bourbon element in this brew, the beer became rather hot by the drink's end.

The mouthfeel was light, frothy and a touch airy on the palate with a crisp, large bubbled carbonation. I cannot remember having a beer that was so high in alcohol yet so thin in body.

This beer is definitely a sipper. Because of the intense sweetness and the overwhelming alcohol presence, it is best enjoyed in small quantities.

The Angel's Share was definitely one of the most bourbon-rich brews I have ever tried. While I loved the flavor and aroma, I found the intensity of the alcohol to be distracting. A bit more time in the cellar perhaps might help it mellow out.

4.14/5  rDev -3.5%

This was part of a NEPA BC split back in November. Had the infamous Brandy Angel's Share a little over a year ago and thought it was very tasty, although certainly hurt by lack of carbonation.

So when popping the cork on this one, I was certainly surprised to hear very little in the way of a pop, and just as surprised (or maybe I shouldn't be) to see no head whatsoever generated on the pour. Just a flat murky dark brown. So far so good LA.

The smell, despite the complete lack of head, is quite nice. It's rich and alcoholic, but in a good, sweet, bourbony way. Rich dark malts are quite robust, consisting of brown sugar, dark caramel and even some dark chocolate. The bourbon is sweet with notes of vanilla and oak.

The nose was nice, but the taste is better. It's rich and very smooth, not hot at all. Dark caramel, molasses, brown sugar and some chocolate comprise the bulk of the malty flavors, while the bourbon aging really complements the flavors nicely. Like the nose it is sweet with layers of vanilla and oak, and a slightly nutty quality to it as well. It's very smooth and well put together. Lack of carbonation does not hurt the taste in the least.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and quite smooth, and drinks a lot like an apertif given the lack of carbonation. Frankly I don't think it hurts the beer much at all, although a little tickle in the finish would be nice. It's not heavy, though, and despite being close to full bodied it feels a bit softer than that and is pretty clean in the finish.

This is another very nice, although flawed beer from Lost Abbey. These guys clearly know how to brew, they just don't know how to finish their product to best present it to their consumers. Carbonating a beer should not be this hard. Still, I can't and won't take away much on that basis because it's a very tasty beer. I enjoyed it, and would like to try it on tap when the carbonation can be forced into it, despite LA's best efforts to keep it out.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Flat 2009 release

Pours a lifeless black with some air bubbles but no head to speak of. Smell is an absolutely beautiful but holy-cow-powerful dose of bourbon and oak. Toffee, chocolate, vanilla, alcohol burn, dark fruits, just blistering my the senses. This one might end up being a bit too hot.

Surprisingly, the taste is not really hot at all (relatively speaking). In fact, the aggressive nature of the nose is tamed quite a bit once it hits the tongue, which saves this beer from being a hot mess which it very well could have been without the carbonation. A nice, flavorful mix of boubon, oak, and toffee. Still as flat as a pancake, but unlike the '08 Brandy version this one works a little bit better in its current state. Still needs some damn bubbles, but I won't complain too much in this case.

I could have given the mouthfeel a 1 or 2 if I was truly keeping it as a separate category, but because the flatness doesn't detract to the point that it hurts the taste I will be merciful.

This is actually quite drinkable as well for a beer of it's magnitude. I probably won't buy another flat bottle, but I did happen to enjoy it quite a bit. I just want to wait until this beer is in it's true form before I give it another shot.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

2013 vintage. An exceptional beer. Poured from bottle into a snifter. Dark almost black ale, with a burgundy undertone. Small head with decent lacing. Smells of caramel and fruits. Taste is extended with the vanilla of the barrels. Smooth. Little alcohol heat.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

375 ml corked and caged bottle, traded by my boy oakbluff!

Pours a cloudy mahogany, nice dark red highlights around the edges, thick tan head rises, tight bubbles, settles to a thin layer and medium ring around the glass, looks top notch. Smell is crazy, tons of caramel and wood, bourbon, very bready, yeast, bit of chocolate, more caramel, more oak, dark fruits, brown sugar and dates. Taste is rich buttery toffee, vanilla, chocolate, bourbon, tons of wood, bready, yeast, alcohol comes through a bit, nice. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with high carbonation, alcohol is well hidden, but the carbonation is way too high. I prefer the Brandy barrel version, but this is still some good stuff. Thanks Scott!

Listed as a 08' edition.

A: The initial un-corking of this cherished beer produced a very violent burst of excited onto the scene. Along with the flying projectile, the cork if you are wondering, a very heady substance started to overflow out from the orifice of the bottle. Quickly my friend was able to get some of this liquid goodness into my glass. What appeared next was a pleasant looking light-tan head accompanied by a very dark brown liquid underneath.

S: Very earthy quality, which is very similar to Stone's Arrogant Bastard, along with a subtle amount of bourbon and oak aroma.

T: A very apparent alcohol burning sensation in the beginning and tail-end of initial sip. Some of the flavors I pick up include dark figs and perhaps a molasses/brown sugar. This could have the vanilla that was described on the label of the bottle, but it didn't seem to express itself that way in the taste.

M: Medium-body with a gentle carbonation.

D: Definitely a sipper! The bourbon quality was very subtle in the aroma, but came out strong with every gulp I had. Very tasty, but too much to enjoy a whole bottle to yourself.

Overall: A very, very, very good beer....but I'm not sure if it is a "holy grail" type of beer. Complex flavors and smell, accompanied by a nice amount of bourbon aging that wasn't too overwhelming. A try it beer for sure. Cheers!

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours dark brown and opaque with a thin light tan head.

The smell? Bourbon, bourbon, bourbon. Of course oak and vanilla as well as a bit of smoke, sweet grain and raisins.

Wow, what a flavor burst on first sip. I wish I had a shot at this in my tasting prime, I almost feel ill equipped. Anyway, bourbon remnants are dominant with huge notes of vanilla, smoke, raisins, and booze. It's quite delicious and a bit of a monster.

Mouthfeel is great. Full bodied, thick, chewy. It comes complete with ample fine bubbled carbonation.

Overall, I'm a bit floored over the whole experience. A few years ago this was a bucket list beer for me and I'm thrilled to have stumbled on it. The downside for me is I feel like I've had this beer before. I'm just getting tired of Bourbon Barrel Beers, they are all starting to run together and it's not special anymore. Great beer, but I would have appreciated it more 3 years ago.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Very dark with a strong black Cherry aroma. I had this at Brouwers in Seattle during a lost abbey and port tasting. The initial drink is great, heavy strong licurice and sweetness. The finish was a little funky. This was my first lost abbey and a great way to start off.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

On draft @ local option...

Aroma is pure bourbon. Flavor is even more bourbon but with some nice malt sweetness balancing things out. Not overly thick or oily and well carbonated which makes it surprisingly easy to drink especially when you factor in the strong bourbon elements, and the overall high ABV.

I'm not huge fan of bourbon barrel aged beers, but I would drink this again anytime. Very tasty!

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Trade from jrgratz. Thanks!!! 2011 dated bottle, enjoyed April 24, 2012. Pours dark brown with ruby edges and no head whatsoever. Smell is strong vanilla, oak, molasses, and lots of bourbon. Thick and viscous mouthfeel with essentially no carbonation. Flavor is big vanilla notes with sweet molasses and brown sugar, finishing with big whiskey notes. Some mellow burnt charcoal taste too that is new to me and relaxing like sittin’ by the fire. Lots of alcohol warmth. Some real astringent alcohol. A sipper for sure, but an awesome sipper.

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to Ketan for picking this up for me on his trip to San Diego.

A. Pours a very dark, tobacco brown. Half finger of tight, cream colored head. Very uniform and good looking head. Lacing is excellent.

S. Wow, excellent. Dark, ripe stone fruit, raisin, vanilla, toffee, roasted cashew, and a healthy dose of bourbon. Pleasant roasted nuttiness.

T. Toffee, caramel, vanilla, and dark fruit. Big kiss of booze and some burn on the end. Little bit of earthy darkness from the barrel.

M. Full bodied, cloying, and marshmallow like.

O. A very nice brew, definitely holds up against some of the better. barrel aged strong ales and barleywines out there. Very glad to have enjoyed this one.

4.16/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Brown in the glass, one finger head, not much carbonation, clear amber/ruby when pouring.

S-Good deal of bourbon, vanilla, oak and caramel.

T-Starts with strong bourbon notes, balanced with vanilla and oak. Lots of toffee/caramel. Apples and chocolate as it warms.

M-Lighter, not much carbonation, tad watery.

O-Yay for not getting an infected bottle! A yummy beer but the risk of infection is there.

4.16/5  rDev -3%

Well you can have very different reviews of this depending on whether you have it on tap (excellent) or whether you play Russian Roulette with the bottles and their potential for being flat and having their customer service department tell you to go pound sand.

Even on tap, its a style of beer that should be designed to have lower than average carbonation. But at least some carbonation. The smallest wisp of tan head on the top is nice, lots of bourbon, raisin, chocolate malt, vanilla and oak aromas come out of it.

The taste is a delight, well balanced, not overly hot, the same feels in the nose are on the palate. Throw in some earthy tobacco, light char and smoke, molasses, this does a good job at being both complex and good.

With that said, I don't recommend purchasing any bottles of this. Its expensive to start with, and if they're flat (a good chance) its so disappointing.

4.16/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey