The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged | The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

Added by scottoale on 08-23-2006

#591

Ratings: 1,895 |  Reviews: 701

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured a deep brown with no appearant carbonation. Smells bourbon, Carmel, raisin, and boozy. Love it.
Tastes boozy up front with vanilla but mid way through I get sharp tannin flavor that kills the bourbon experience; tannins take over the rest of the swallow.
Feels thick but not too thick.
This would have been a 4.5-5 but the tannins really kill it for me. It shocks the whole tongue.
I bought it in Fort Collins. The bottle is stamped 2012.

3.94/5  rDev -8.2%

1732nd Review on BA
Bottle to Lost Abbey Teku
375ml c/c

Purchased at Party House Liquors, Chino Hills, CA

App- out of the gate I am surprised to see as much carbonation as I do see. This coloring is more of a soda brown with some darker browns in the center and some reds on the outsides. A nice 1/2" head was there and then gone. Didnt leave any lace or cling.

Smell- I get the culmination of the parts of this beer but don't really get them all by themselves. It's a good base old ale, strong malts and a touch of dark fruits. Secondly you get a bit of the bourbon with some oak and vanilla. Pretty smooth on the nose for 12.5%

Taste- I enjoyed this much more than the brandy barrel aged version. This has a very good base beer and then with the addition of the bourbon creates a nice flavor and layers. At 1st you get really only the malts as it settles, I get more dark fruits and a little chocolate covered cherries. Finally the bourbon and the booze comes in with some vanilla as well.

Mouth- This is a thick medium body that just got to that level. A bit thin at parts but the carbonation was a solid medium with a nice and puffy bubbles that allows the flavors to linger.

Drink- I was skeptical to grab a bottle but tickers gotta tick lists. This was better than I thought actually. Carbonated. Layered and very flavorful. I had the brandy on tap, but would like both on tap to do a side by side.

3.89/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

From notes, 9/5/10. An interesting and complex beer but it doesn’t quite work for me. The base beer seems quite enjoyable. It’s like a big barleywine with some deeper roast and dark fruit notes. There’s more going on in there than I can quite describe, but the bourbon flavor seemed to overpower some of this complexity. It has raisins, brown sugar, molasses, vanilla, bourbon, oak and even mild coffee and chocolate. This version just didn’t come together for me as much as the Grand Cru. It’s not quite a mess, but the alcohol heat was a bit much and the bourbon flavor sort of threw things out of whack more than it blended the flavors into a harmony. For bourbon barrel barleywines, I’ll take FW Parabola, AS Grand Cru and even Marin’s -bal Old Dipsea. I would have preferred this beer aged in a neutral oak barrel or perhaps just less time in the bourbon. It’s still rather good - hard to dislike a beer with so many interesting layers to it. Mouthfeel is a bit sticky (and some bottles probably aren’t carbonated properly but my notes are from the keg version). Interesting beer and I may revisit this rating once I try a future version.

3.69/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sent to me a while back by Cocoapuph. Thanks Jeremy!

I really didn't care much for the Brandy version, but let's see....

Served in a Duck Rabbitt snifter.

A: Poured out like prune juice... a dark reddish brown, with no head whatsoever. Still, looked very inviting.

S: I started to smell this right away from the mere thud of the cork pop. Deep, dark fruit aroma, with a strong bourbon presence, with vanilla and oak.

T: Peppery bitterness, strong oak presence, and some date and raison notes as well. Not much more than that to my mind.

M: Flat as a pancake, but maybe that was the point. No lacing, and a good bit of booze.

O: Maybe I just don't get the concept of this Angel's Share series. I wasn't impressed.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey