The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged | The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

Added by scottoale on 08-23-2006

#622
Liked:
4.28/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,893 |  Reviews: 701

a - very rich looking dark brown with nice mellow head. great lacing.

s - wow! smells of dark carmel, subtle vanilla and caramelized sugar.

t - like no beer i have ever tasted! extremely complex and delightful. i can taste the bourbon barrels. sweet oak. a little black licorice?

m - mmm. velvety, smooth, good amount of carbonation. finish is to die for!

d - this is so good it pains me that i cannot get this as often as i would like. thank you sooo much chefscott79!!!!

Poured into a Double Bastard Glass. Beautiful appearance. Root beer brown, with a decadent head. Smell fluttered with alcohol, just for a second, then came the carmel sweetness, and malty tang. The taste. Come on!! Flirted with heavenly. Bourbon flavor, mixed expertly with rich, malt, sugar, carmel flavor. This beer felt wonderful on the mouth, dangerously almost too good. Drinkability off the charts. I could drink this beer regularly. If you have the means I highly suggest you getting this beer. Truly exceptional and one of the best beers I have ever had.

I had this on tap at the release and this is my 4th bottle but just started reviewing beers now that I have some under my wing.

My absolute favorite beer so far so here it goes:

Poured into a chimay goblit. My first gusher bottle this time but was not too bad. Cork popped off very fast with a nice popping sound but then it gushed onto my counter. Had a thick head at first but reduced down in size and is a nice light tan color. The beer its self has a redish tint when held to the light but is black in color all together.

Smell is awesome. So complex. Dark fruits, Belgian quad, sweet malt and vanilla and a good burbon. Almost too many things and could probably smell it for an hour and come up with all sorts of ingrediance.

Taste is incredible. Figs, rasins, spices, sweet malt, vanilla, burbon, oak, all balanced together perfectly. Its amazing this is a beer. You almost have to focus your attention on a flavor to make it come out since it is balanced so well. Simply amazing.

Mouthfeel is great. Nice carbonation with smooth malts balance well in your mouth.

Drinkability is awesome. I could drink this always and several a day.

The tap version to me tasted a little more viscus and fruity wick I liked but both are amazing. Glad my dad recently have me a few more of his bottles so I can enjoy this a little more since I traded off half of mine. Can't wait untill the next release. Thanks Lost Abbey!

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey