The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged | The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

Added by scottoale on 08-23-2006

Reviews: 681 | Ratings: 1,813
4.27/5  rDev +0.7%

I had a review for this beer before the whole fiasco occurred, stumbled across another bottle so let's give it a go again.

375 ml cork and caged bottle poured into a snifter served at cellar temperature.

Pours a deep black with a one finger fluffy light tan colored head that falls to a thin layer. Bits of stickiness grab a hold of the sides here and there, but not a whole lot. Aroma is thick with bourbon, vanilla, and rich caramel malts. A good dose of molasses with plums, dates, and raisins. A very complex nose which I'm sure will carry over to the flavor, or at least I hope. Initial flavor is sweet Vermont maple syrup with caramel and chocolate. Bourbon oak midway with brown sugar, almonds, and fig. Smokey and sweet aftertaste with toffee, butterscotch, and toasted malts. Very full flavored ale with a lot to take in. The feel is a medium warm body with a very aggressive carbonation that really distracts from the overall quality of this beer unfortunately. A great sipping beer, I just wish it was smoother in the mouth.

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First and foremost - A HUGE thanks goes out to numbeercruncher for sending me this fine/rare brew in a recent trade. The holidays were insane for me and my family, hence the break in beer reviewing... This review was taken from notes and shared with newtonty on 12-27-2007.

After a massive/explosive POP from the removal of the cork, a khaki colored, big bubbled head came surging out the top. After the spillage was contained, it poured into my oversized cabernet glass an opaque, dark brown beer. Lacing and head remained a long while. Nice...

The nose carried intense mix of aromas including vanilla, molasses, maple syrup and heavily roasted malts. By far, the maple syrup scent was most dominant.

Taste was much like the nose. Add to the nose, an almost soy or salty characteristic mixed with the expected maple, milk-like creaminess, brown sugar and molasses mix. Medium bodied with ample carbonation and full flavor.

Newtonty was blown away by it overall. He stated this was his favorite beer of 2008, but not for me. Don't get me wrong, this is a robust, complex and very unique beer, but not very drinkable to me. I am all about expanding my beer appreciation through new styles, but there was a drying effect on my pallet, much like a wine - that didn't appeal to me.

Reminiscent in body to Magic Hat's Feast of Fools, Sixpoint's Bolshoi (Light to medium with a highly carbonated champagne yeast like quality).

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Thanks to AdamB84 for this bottle.
Probably the most excited I've been to try a new beer in a long time. Served this at cellar temperature, in a snifter, from a 12.7 ounce bottle. Corked and caged ofcourse.

Appearance: Bottle opened with a loud pop, and foamed over a bit. Angel's Share pours out a deep burgandy color that was quite dark. A somewhat soft pour yielded a little better than two fingers of thick, pillowy, almost tan colored head. Head just seems to hang there forever, lasts through out the whole experience. A thick layer of lace coated the entire glass. Quite a bit of active carbonation bubbles are noticed rising to the top of the glass.

Smell: Such a strong, complex nose on this beer. A nice strong oak aroma seems to be the most present. Slight hints of bourbon in the background. Underlying vanilla and raisin aromas. Touches of brown sugar, molasses, and leather. A slight boozy blast rounds out the nose. I'm pretty impressed so far.

Taste: This is one great tasting beer. Again, the oak flavor seems to be the strongest. Slightly sweet with a mild bourbon flavor. Nice thick maltiness, with some raisin and vanilla. Finishes quite smooth with some more oak and some body warming alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Great mouthfeel. A somewhat thick, mouth coating brew. Pretty much perfectly carbonated. Full bodied.

Drinkability: Very drinkable despite the big flavors and the alcohol content of this brew. It's a sipper though. Angel's Share, in my opinion, lives up to the all the hype that I've heard. Another great beer from The Lost Abbey.

4.08/5  rDev -3.8%

Would you believe this came as a trade extra from my oh so sweet bitch Egledhill? I can't either, but I'm gonna drink it anyway. Shared at a mini-BA-gathering of 3 plus my wife way out at my house in the middle of nowhere. Joined by OlieIPA and Aimstatus who braved the 100 mile drive from the wretched city.

Huge pop from the cork damn near drove the thing into my ceiling. You've had a long journey Angel's Share. Prepare to rest easy.

Pours a monstrous beige head over dark brown molasses. Head Will Not Die. Seriously - eternal. Sunspots of brown float in the beige head.

Smells of soil; moist earth. Clean soil and earth, not landfill. Maybe some bourbon, but it isn't very pronounced.

Taste is sweet lip-smacking action. The fluid literally disappears as you drink. Houdini down the throat, with a nice trail left on the lips to taste again. Oak. Fig. Way complex flavor profile daunts me. Extremely smooth.

And that's all the notes I have.

Memory says it was a great treat.

Overall: 'twas my share

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

Very dark brown with a reddish head, great retention and lacing. Smell is very sweet with maple syrup, caramel, bourbon, and toffee all being noticed. Taste is sweet caramel, bourbon, some vanilla, dark fruits, and the a boozy finish. Slightly less than high carbonation with a full body. Good beer, probably will get better with age. Thanks to pepsican for the sample. Had this again and it has much improved already; a top notch beer.

1.88/5  rDev -55.7%

Thanks tytoanderso for this one. Small corked bottle poured into a snifter.

The bottle opens with a loud pop, betraying the heavy carbonation that produces a very large bubbly head atop the dark burgundy brew. The air escapes from the head, leaving a dense, luscious two finger thick head that holds extremely well, and coats all sides of the glass on its way down.
Aroma improves as it warms, with notes of fruits, chocolate, caramel, oak, vanilla and bourbon.
Full bodied, velvety, starts as bourbon soaked plums covered in chocolate, but caramel maltiness keeps exchanging roles with bourbon heat, vanilla and oakiness.
Quite easy to drink, despite some heat here and there. There seems to be a perfect temperature near room temperature; colder inhibits the aroma, but way too hot it gets too "hot", and bourbon gets too noticeable.
I have to admit I have been trying a lot of Lost Abey beers, and most have been underwhelming. Now I see the reason for the hype. I just wanted to know the vintage, could not identify on the bottle, but this was traded June 2008.

The 2009 version, the one out there now, unfortunately, is a total flat, uncarbonated mess. Drainpour. Absolutely horrible.

4.7/5  rDev +10.8%

imstillthegman is, indeed, still the gman. I don't even need to know what that means to know that it's true. Why? Because he deserves my trust.

Excellent pour. Just--just remarkable, right there. It's like there's a whole little world that died just to make this pour, it's that's goddamn good.

Smells very, very... umm, what's the word? "Strong." There we go. That's the word. It's quite strong. Lots of insanely sweet malt, medium-strength west coast hops. As it warms, the strength stays at about the same intensity, but the individual flavors mellow slightly enough that the become discernible from one another. Heavy nodes of vanilla and oaken whiskey are present, along with some sweet, fruity, and lightly peaty malts. Sort of a cross between Bourbon County stout and a good dubbel.

Tastes very much as it smells. Starts hugely strong, big giant nodes of toffee, raisins, sweet brandywine, chocolate, vanilla, oak, sweet fruit lingers at the end with bitterness. Hops? No--I thought I smelled some but I think I was wrong.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

375ml Bottle

2008 Bottling

A big thanks goes out to Kegatron for sending me this brew in a recent trade, thanks again Heath! Angel's Share gurgles from the bottle into my snifter black as night. There isn't a hint of light peeking through the body of this brew. Two fingers of khaki head grew slowly on a soft pour instantly becoming chunky and creamy, very meringue like. The head did eventually fall but not very much, settling at a finger of perfect creaminess and never dropping any lower. The carbonation isn't visible but you can see where the bubbles collide with the head to keep it going strong. Sheet lacing gets left behind every time the glass gets tipped. This is an outstanding looking brew with an incredible head especially when taking into consideration the high abv!

The nose on this beer is crazy unique. It's funny but the first thing I notice when my stout gets in the glass is toasted walnut and there's a lot of it. Not far behind is insanely rich vanilla oak, sweet bourbon, mildly roasty malts, a dash of heavy cream, cocoa powder and caramel. I can't take my nose from the glass. Each consecutive whiff brings out deeper complexity. I'm really digging the walnut quality that gets things started and never fully leaves. I can't wait to dive into this brew.

The flavor is deep but doesn't quite show the depth the nose did. Again, the toasted walnuts lead the way and give me a slight sensation of the bitter pith (?) when eaten from the shell. The barrel aging quality doesn't show up at first but the heavy cream, cocoa, and rich caramel do. There's a slight roastiness in the back and the toasted walnuts comes through again on the finish. The barrel aging waits until the second half to really step forward with vanilla, buttery oak and spicy bourbon. This is a deep complex brew but the flavor doesn't reach that of the aroma. When I drink this beer on the colder side there's a slight metallic quality that goes away as it warms.

The body has, surprisingly, a medium-full mouthfeel. The carbonation is dialed a little high which pushes the beer over the tongue too quickly and creates a little frothiness. It's not too far off but I'd enjoy this one more if the bubbles were fewer and farther between.

This is a big sipping brew but the excessive carbonation makes it drink easier than it should. The abv will catch up to you if you're not careful but with that said this goes down very easy.

Another big thanks to Heath for this brew! I've been a little underwhelmed with Lost Abbey and especially their pricing, but this beer is a good one. Angel's Share is very interesting and the bourbon barrel aging adds another layer of depth. I'd like to try the brandy version to compare.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Listed as a 08' edition.

A: The initial un-corking of this cherished beer produced a very violent burst of excited onto the scene. Along with the flying projectile, the cork if you are wondering, a very heady substance started to overflow out from the orifice of the bottle. Quickly my friend was able to get some of this liquid goodness into my glass. What appeared next was a pleasant looking light-tan head accompanied by a very dark brown liquid underneath.

S: Very earthy quality, which is very similar to Stone's Arrogant Bastard, along with a subtle amount of bourbon and oak aroma.

T: A very apparent alcohol burning sensation in the beginning and tail-end of initial sip. Some of the flavors I pick up include dark figs and perhaps a molasses/brown sugar. This could have the vanilla that was described on the label of the bottle, but it didn't seem to express itself that way in the taste.

M: Medium-body with a gentle carbonation.

D: Definitely a sipper! The bourbon quality was very subtle in the aroma, but came out strong with every gulp I had. Very tasty, but too much to enjoy a whole bottle to yourself.

Overall: A very, very, very good beer....but I'm not sure if it is a "holy grail" type of beer. Complex flavors and smell, accompanied by a nice amount of bourbon aging that wasn't too overwhelming. A try it beer for sure. Cheers!

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours opaque ruby brown with a ring of bubbles. Nose is heavily bourbon. Some brief hints of raisins, vanilla and oak. Fortunately, the taste rounds out the bourbon with stronger vanilla, oak, chocolate, and cocoa powder. Pleasant alcoholic warmth. Sadly, and probably because of the build-up to finally having this beer, it left me wanting more. Not complaining, this was excellent, but I still wanted more.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from my 375ml corked bottle into a Great Divide Tulip. Cork basically exploded off of the bottle.

Pours a dark black with a slight reddish brown at the edges. Head is a medium tan color and the beer is overcarbonated enough to warrant an extremely slow pour.

Smells like heaven. Hints of oak, maybe a slight boozy aroma. A bit of vanilla I think.

Tastes like it smells. Well, sort of. It's better. There's a slight bourbon flavor, which unlike a lot of beers, is very subdued and balanced with the other flavors of vanilla, oak, maybe some dark fruits, and a bit of caramel. Minimal amounts of alcohol are present in the taste. Very impressed.

Mouthfeel is where I feel this beer suffers. There's simply too much carbonation in here. Instead of feeling a syrupy thickness I feel a fizzy bubbling sensation. With as relatively thin as the beer is, I feel it would serve better with a heavier mouthfeel.

However, I think that after you move past the beers somewhat fizzy nature, it's very very drinkable. None of the flavors are overwhelming and always in balance. The only thing that would stop me from drinking more of this would be the lack of availability (I had to get this VIA trading) and the fact that the ABV would knock me onto my ass in a hurry. Especially because it's so well hidden.

I am very impressed with this beer as a whole. Most of the regular Lost Abbey brews I've been unimpressed with, and with all the hyped up beers I've tasted recently, this is one of a few that I feel lives up to it's hype.

4.45/5  rDev +5%

Dark brown with a nice creamy head. As expected, the barrel is up front. Then you start to smell the other aspects. A surprise in the aroma is a hint of cherry. Strong bourbon flavor, toffee, and vanilla. Start drinking at cellar temp and allow the beer to warm. This is an amazing beer.

4.78/5  rDev +12.7%

375ml purchased in 2008

A: Opens with a serious pop. Carbonation isn't going to a worry here, unlike many other Lost Abbeys lately. Dark rudy brown, with a beautiful creamy head that lasts the entire beer. Beautiful.

S: Oak. More oak. Nice bourbon and vanilla aromas. Dark caramel malt. Dark cherries. The barrel aromas are dominant at first, but dark fruit really comes out as this warms up.

T/M: Every in the smell and then some. Awesome bourbon, vanilla flavors and cherries and fruit in the background. The caramel malt is potent definitely laying the backbone for everything else. It's got a nice carbonation, doesn't taste syrupy at all. Amazing stuff.

D: Man, if only...

Near perfection in a barrel aged beer. The first Lost Abbey brew I've had that's met the hype

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Managed to pick two of these bottles in trades with drseamus and eclectic. Poured from a kick ass 375mL bottle into a snifter. Just by looking at the bottle I knew I was in for a treat...

A- Poured a very dark brown. The head on this baby was beautiful! At least two fingers worth of tan bubbly head gathered and slowly dissipated as the beer was consumed. Did not expect this whatsoever. Watch out for the cork when popping this one open. The force was strong that the cork popped itself before I even could finish removing the cage on top.

S- This was my favorite part of the beer. Up front there was a very nice oak, vanilla, bourbon scent. To add to the complexity, a dark fruity yeast revealed itself that reminded me of many quads that I have had. Can't go wrong with a bourbon barrel aged beer with hints of dark fruit.

T- I could not get over as to how prevalent the bourbon taste was, yet it wasn't as strong as other bourbon aged beers. An absolute perfect combination of bourbon and oak, fruit flavors. If I mixed a quad and bourbon barrel aged beer, this is what I would expect it to taste like.

M- An explosion of carbonation hits the palate. I think it really benefitted this beer as it masked the bourbon flavor so that it became more mild.

D- The combination of smell, taste, and carbonated mouthfeel make this a highly drinkable beer. I was so in awe by the surprises this beer offered that I could not help but to keep drinking.

Overall, well worth the hype! In fact, this beer exceeded my expectations. Thanks again drseamus and eclectic for this awesome brew.

4.45/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Cork popped with much force. Plenty of carbonation and the beer started storming up the neck of the bottle. Pours a very dark brown in color. Some nice bourbon, oak and toffee notes in the nose. Taste is more of the bourbon, but you get the other flavors from the barrel as well. Some nice oak and vanilla help out. Very carbonated and bubbly on the mouthfeel. Would have liked it to be a bit smoother. I preferred this one to the brandy version. This seems to be much more balanced and the flavors seem to compliment each other and work well.

4.9/5  rDev +15.6%

Thanks to TProkop7 for popping this delicious brew.

A- Pours a very dark brown, approaching black. A thick cap of foam forms and recedes to thin film of foam, leaving heavy sheets of lacing down the side of the glass.

S- Dark and malty. Chocolate covered malt balls dominate the smell, along with smoky notes of bourbon and vanilla.

T- Wow, I am FLOORED by this beer. It is extremely well balanced and very smooth. This brew is very bourbony without being boozy. Dark malts with very strong notes of bourbon, vanilla, and deliciousness. It reminds me of chocolate covered malt balls, but is far more complex and WONDERFUL!

M- Slightly dry, although very rich.

D- Goes down very easy in spite of the high ABV and bourbon barrel aging.

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

The cork opens with a loud "pop" indicating some good carbonation. The head is massively thick with soap-like bubbles sitting atop the dark brown liquid below. A bit of light can get through this beer about the edges, creating some amber hues. It leaves a great deal of lacing also. The aroma, while not too intense, has a nice depth. The perfumy bouquet has floral notes, wood, fruity esters, and a touch of aspirin. Very interesting.

No wonder this is so well rated, it actually has the richness and complexity of a good Belgian Quad: ripe, raisiny fruit notes, caramel sweetness, light medicinal spices, nice alcohol warmth but not too discernable. The barrel aging is very subtle, with it's key addition serving to smooth it out nicely. The foam feels silky on the tongue and it goes down oh so easily.

Decadent yet under control, complex yet approachable. This beer is very deserving of its elite status. One of my all-time favorites...

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Pours a deep amber to a black color with a big, yeasty tan head. In the aroma, oak, vanilla, roasty malt, bourbon and just a hint of chocolate. In the taste, bourbon, vanilla, oaky, with hints of chocolate and alcohol. A smooth and big bodied mouthfeel, with a dry bourbon and alcohol aftertaste. A great sipper, and perfect to share, great flavors, and all around, pretty freakin' great!

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%

Bottle shared with fellow ba kplynch! I can't thank you enough for popping this baby open for our small tasting!

A: Copper-golden with a medium sized head which is beige/white in apperance.

S: Vanilla, Bourbon, Caramel, Fruit, Chocolate. The nose is incredibly inviting!

T: Vanilla, Bourbon, Cocoa, Ripe fruit, Toffee. I sipped away slowly on this one.

M: Varm and filling. Medium carbonation with a nice complexity and balance.

One of the best barrel-aged beers i've had in a loooong time. If you can get hold of this baby, try it!

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

Got this one in trades with Overlord and SacoDeToro. Thanks guys! Cork was ready to fly out on its own. Beer slowly gushed out the top, but I was prepared and had a big cup to catch any beer that poured out on its' own.

Poured into a La Chouffe tulip. Beer was a very dark brown color with a two-finger, caramel color head.

Aroma was bourbon, licorice, vanilla, raisins, dark fruit and molasses. Smells amazing.

Taste was sweet malts, dark fruits, toffee, vanilla and bourbon.

Really amazing beer. Grows more and more complex as it warms up. Very easy drinking. Seek this one out!

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

375ml received in a cross-country trade in the beginning of the year, stored carefully for the right occasion.

Healthy pop from the cork was a good start, followed by a very slow geyser (nothing major.) Poured into a crystal tulip glass in order to celebrate my birthday and just having won the 2008 BA Fantasy Nascar title. Deep murky dark brown cider appearance, thin tan head disappears quickly. As the brew settles it begins to resemble cola.

The nose is complicated and changes quite a bit as this complex brew warms up. The first notes of liquor sweetness and chocolate are balanced by the pruney malt backbone. There is a lingering sweetness, reminiscent of cotton candy.

The taste grows increasingly complex as it warms. The malt really comes to the forefront, but it is balance so well by the bourbon barrel accents and sweetness. There is a subtle prune juice feel to the tongue.

Mouthfeel is fizzy and biting due to the continuous carbonation. Although the carbonation keeps the brew fresh, it does work against the tongue.

Drinkability is high (as far as long slow sips go.) The abv is completely hidden, and there is nothing that overpowers the palate. Such a pleasant experience ...

Sweet, smooth, incredible.

4.22/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a slightly hazy dark brown with faint ruby highlights when held to light. Lots of carbonation produced a huge fluffy off white head that impaled itself to the sides of the glass. Smells of bourbon, licorice, toffee, some higher alcohols and maybe a faint brett type smell. Tastes of sweet malt, some plums, some alcohol, some bourbon. Carbonation is a bit high and affects the mouthfeel a bit feels prickly with carbonation as well as a bit syrupy. Heavy thick body. Good brew, I wish the carbonation was a bit lower, but overall solid brew. At 15 dollars plus shipping for a little more than 12 ounces I can safely say that I probably won't seek this one out again.

Sampled at the West Coast Barrel Aged Beer Fest in Hayward, CA.

2006 vintage. Poured dark brown with yellow/orange highlights. Aroma mostly of bourbon and toffee, with a tiny hint of alcohol.

Aroma carries through in flavor dominated by bourbon, vanilla, toffee and caramel, with an underlying belgin ester quality. Creamy mouthfeel.

Damn good stuff for sure, and glad I got to try it so I know for certain this is wildly overpriced and not something I would purchase on its own. Not nearly as complex as I would have expected, came across as less intersting than other barrel aged ales I've encountered, such as Firestone 11 and a handful of others sampled at the same event. Good stuff again, but the wife and I agreed that for something with such hype and inflated pricing, it's a bit mundane.

3.8/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured a hazy red brown color with a small, light tan head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of roasted malts, light cocoa, vanilla, dried fruits, caramel, and a bit of bourbon as well. Taste of more cocoa, some roast, raisins, and other dark fruits, some vanilla, oak, and a bit of bourbony alcohol in the finish. I guess I'll be part of the camp who prefers the Brandy version to this one, but big thanks to EDA for sharing this!

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled at the Sixth Annual Festival of Wood and Barrel Aged Beer. Listed as the 2006 vintage.

A - Rich, deep brown color with a one-finger mocha head and a tiny bit of carbonation. A handsome brew.

S - Tons of stuff going on here - bourbon, coffee, licorice, caramel, malt, chocolate, oak, dark fruit, and perhaps even some apricot in there. Pretty incredible!

T - Bourbon nose with a little kick, then mellows into the sweeter malt and caramel flavors. I don't get the same complexity on taste as I do with the smell, which is a touch disappointing.

M - Lighter than I expected - carbonation tingles the back of the throat, complementing the bourbon nicely. Felt a tiny bit thin.

D - Easier to drink than Bourbon County Stout, but with the same depth of flavors and intensity. I kept going back to this one during the tasting for more.

A fantastic brew - can't wait to try the brandy version.

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged from The Lost Abbey