Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged | The Lost Abbey

The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged
4.29/5
Outstanding
The Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-AgedThe Angel's Share - Bourbon Barrel-Aged

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Down in Kentucky and across the pond in Scotland, distillers who age their whiskeys for many years refer to the evaporation of the spirits from their barrels as “The Angel’s Share.” We couldn’t agree more. Each time a barrel is filled, a measure of liquid seeps into the oak and is lost for good.This striking Strong Ale is brewed with copious amounts of Caramel malt to emphasize the vanilla and oak flavors found in freshly emptied bourbon or brandy barrels. The beer spends a year in oak before it is packaged for release.

Added by scottoale on 08-23-2006

#596

Ratings: 1,900 |  Reviews: 701
4.35/5  rDev +1.4%

4.75/5  rDev +10.7%

3.22/5  rDev -24.9%

12.7 oz corked and caged brown bottle. 2010 vintage. 12.5% alcohol.

It pours a dark brown with a fizzy off-white head that never gets very large and dissipates immediately with no lacing.

The smell is dominated by bourbon through and through. There are hints of oak, alcohol, and fruits. It isn't super complex, mainly bourbon. There is a hint of chocolate that hints in but never becomes super noticeable.

The bourbon dominates the flavor, though it isn't as alcoholic as I was expecting. It has some caramel, vanilla, and oak, but that is about it. There is some walnuttiness that comes through, almost like a stale maibock in the finish I was hoping for something with more complexity, this is basically bourbon flavored beer.

The bottle was overpriced, it is a bit overhyped.

4.59/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a snifter glass, pours a real nice dark brown. Big dried fruits nose, dates, raisins and figs, slight vanilla and roasted coconut. Taste of caramel, big vanilla and dried dark fruits sweetness, a definite winner!

4.66/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.35/5  rDev -21.9%

375ml bottle, not sure what year though.

Pours a dark brown almost black color, not much head, more like some bubbles hanging out at the top that quickly go away, no lacing, although it is more lively than the brandy version.

Smell has a strong alcohol presence that's a bit astringent to the nose, behind it though is a fair amount of dark fruit and oak.

Taste has a huge punch of dark fruit, such as raisins and fig, and of course bourbon, unfortunately a lot of the complexities are burned out by the alcohol burn, it is severely hot, in fact my throat feels it the most, reminds me like I've taken some Robitussin or something, carbonation is quite soft but I wouldn't call it flat like the brandy or that it's detrimental in this case either, there's a good deal of barrel properties in this beer and for the most part I think they meld quite well unlike some other barrel aged beers I've had.

I have a feeling this would have been a good, maybe almost great, beer if it wasn't for the fact that the alcohol burn is so strong, that's what vodka shots are for. Maybe 3-5 years of age on this would have mellowed it out, emphasizing the maybe. Considering the cost though, I don't think I'll be picking any more up to try that experiment, plenty of better beers at cheaper prices.

4.04/5  rDev -5.8%

4.24/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev -4%

The dark brown beer is served in a nonic glass with almost no head beyond a ring of foam around the glass. By midway through the beer even that is pretty much gone entirely.

The aromas easily convince this was Bourbon Barrel aged and in addition to the vanilla there is a bit of chocolate in there.

The flavors follow the nose with the vanilla pretty much in charge followed by that bit of chocolate and some hints of the oak. There is also a noticeable presence of alcohol sweetness pretty much hiding any malt sweetness.

The mouthfeel is on the full side of medium bodied and smooth with very gentle carbonation. The finish begins as the vanilla and most other flavors fade leaving the alcohol a touch of sweetness most noticeable and almost concealing any bitterness until the very end.

Overall this seems a well made beer but is not one I personally will seek out to have again. I'm glad to have tried it but for me the alcohol is just a bit too prominent. Also, it seems to me the overall effect of the flavors would be helped by just a bit more bitterness in the finish. I suspect that this is one of those beers that I'd enjoy much more after a year or two of bottle age.

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

2008 vintage 375ml bottle. Pours into my glass a deep dark rich brown with a inch of creamy bubbly light tan head on top as well. The cork popped quite loudly here and I was glad I had a glass nearby! Aromas start with a deep, rich roasted maltiness with raisins, figs, dark fruit, caramel and molasses all in play. Enticing and flowing trails of vanilla and bright, woody oak accents. Big bourbon wafts up into the nose.

First sip brings a lush, somewhat sweet rich maltiness that is lightly roasted. Notes of raisins, cocoa, brown sugar and caramelized sugars. Vibrant vanilla flavors cavort with hints of dark fruits. As it flows down woody oak flavors kiss the palate and make me envision barrels of this amazing beer lying patiently at wait in the Lost Abbey brewery waiting for just the right moment to be released from its wooden confinement. Smooth bourbon shines through on the finish and the alcohol is nearly non-existent here. A deeply complex and insanely tasty brew.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and has somewhat of a creaminess to it as well. This is quite carbonated and personally I think the carbonation is a little overdone here. Overall though, it's intensely complex, warming and contemplative. Definitely a sipper, but one I could sip all night. An amazing beer that I would recommend any day of the week!

4.32/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.34/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.77/5  rDev +11.2%

Got in a trade with kinnaird...thanks for everything John!!!

I popped this open at DLD and had a couple of people around me become very happy with letting them sample...beer karma is good.

A-Poured into a Dogfish snifter. Pours a nice deep dark brown color almost black but when the light hits it you can see dark brown. Nice brown/tan head that went away rather quickly and left nice lacing on the sides.

S-From the first smell I could just pickup a sweet smelling bourbon. One I let it breathe for about a minute I could get more complex smells of vanilla and some fruitiness to it as well. Also the malts come in to play but only as a backbone I think. Just so much to take in.

T-This is one of the best tasting barrel aged beers I have ever had. Kind of on a sweet taste that comes out of nowhere which goes with the vanilla that I smelled earlier. The roasted malts come through nicely along with a nice touch of fruit and figs. The bourbon comes through with this but it is not overpowering at all. The warmer it becomes the better I think it is becoming.

M-For such a complex tasting beer it has a nice mouthfeel. A little on the heavy side but the carbination makes up for it very nicely. Coats the palate but doesn't leave a lingering feel after it is gone.

D- This beer is dangerous. I mean dangerous. It is so drinkable and I could get enough of it. The ABV is very hidden and I was sad once I took my last sip. I wish I could get my hands on more of this.

3.71/5  rDev -13.5%

375 ml bottle. Large pop when opened. huge brown-tan head over a dark liquid. Smells fruity, bourbon, vanilla, clean alcohol, but not much raw oak character. Alcohol dries out the aroma. Chocolate step forward as the beer breaths and warms.

Tastes oaky emptiness over malt sweet and alcohol. Chocolate powder, like Nestle cocoa. Bourbon and mild fruitiness. Nice, but not overly complex. The alcohol and sweet conflict in comparable intensity. Md-light body and oaky dries out the finish. Decent drinkablility.

4.27/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev -1.9%