Cuvee De Tomme | The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Once upon a time it was the most award winning Pizza Port beer of all time. Now it has found a new home at The Lost Abbey.

A massive brown ale base that is made from four fermentable sugars including Malted Barley, Raisins, Candi Sugar and Sour Cherries, this beer is fully fermented before being placed in Bourbon barrels where the beer ages for one year with the Sour Cherries and the wild Brettanomyces yeast that we inoculate the barrels with.

Added by jcalabre on 06-14-2003

Ratings: 1,210 |  Reviews: 412

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a somewhat translucent brown into black in the glass. Utterly opaque. The head? What head? Just a a few brown bubbles.

S: On the surface, the nose contains notes of lemon, funky belgian yeast and citrus rind, but underneath… vanilla, brown sugar, oak, caramel. Very interesting.

T: Lemon, tangerine, grapefruit peel,, and funky belgian yeast come through first. Strong hints of sour cherry, peppery zinfandel and raisin, as well as oak, a touch of vanilla, oak and brown sugar. Maybe a hint of caramel, but this thing finishes crisp, tart, like lemon and grapefruit rind. On latter sips, more bourbon comes through, especially toward the end, lingering with the lemony tartness.

M: Full bodied, and extremely smooth. Flat, even. A bit too smooth.

O: Alcohol is somewhat apparent in the nose and flavor as well, but this is to be expected with a beer this strong, and it's quite well masked. I would recommend this beer. It is my favorite sour. I'd say have a few other sours first, get accustomed to it, and then try this beer. It's really good.

3.75/5  rDev -10.9%

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

2.06/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bad bottle?

Poured upside down from 2012 375ml bottle, zero carbonation.

Murky brown with smells of leather, tannin, vinegar.
First sip was similar to shoe polish, second was not much better, and there was no third. Bottle dumped down the drain.

I'm aware of the carb issues but this beer was undrinkable. I applaud the effort as I'm sure this beer took some time and effort to make but it was just awful. I usually gravitate toward Lost Abbey beers, and will continue too, but this one completely missed the mark for me.

I don't mean for this review to come off like total bash but if I give a beer less than an overall 2.5 rating, I feel the need to at least explain why.

I'd be willing to give this beer a second try if it was given to me, but I can't see myself paying for this again.

4.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On-tap at Armsby Abbey just over two weeks ago in Worcester, MA. Always wanted to try this one and glad to see it on draft. Full notes taken day of review.

A- Poured from the tap to a goblet glass with a brown body that has some red hues around the edges. Light tan head forms to about one finger with decent retention. Frothy cap falls to a small ring leaving webs and some sheets of lacing.

S- Tart fruits and some acetic vinegar feel right off the bat with a decent brown malt backdrop like an Oud Bruin to me. Cherry with pits and all come to mind as well as toast oak, red wine and dark fruits.

T- Red tart fruits, vinegar and vinous characters carry over from the aroma to here. The barrel comes out some more with oak and a slight whiskey bite. Strong cherries but the other flavors balance it well. Lemons, barnyard funk, Belgian spiciness, toasted brown sugar, raisin/fig, Brett and some lactic acid round it out.

MF- Dried out lighter end body due to the Brett and other bugs. Texture is crisp with a slight foamy and silky feel. Higher end carbonation with a fairly warm finish from the 11%ABV. Nice sourness as well.

A mix of many different worlds but they come together to remind me of something between an Oud Bruin and a Kriek, aged in a Bourbon barrel. Pretty unique and a must try for sour and barreled beer fans.

2.75/5  rDev -34.7%

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: Looks like a flat cola. No carbonation.

S: Sour cherries & apples. Some oak and vanilla notes.

T: Bursting with sour cherry flavor. Nice sour/tart flavor. Leaning on the too sweet side. I wish there was carbonation to balance this out.

F: Light bodied. No carbonation which is a disappointment to me. It tastes flat.

O: Very nice flavor and I'm enjoying the tart cherry notes. Although this just doesn't do it for me without carbonation. It tastes flat. I appreciate it as a quality craft beer, but it's not my thing.

3.5/5  rDev -16.9%