Cuvee De Tomme | The Lost Abbey

Cuvee De TommeCuvee De Tomme

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Once upon a time it was the most award winning Pizza Port beer of all time. Now it has found a new home at The Lost Abbey.

A massive brown ale base that is made from four fermentable sugars including Malted Barley, Raisins, Candi Sugar and Sour Cherries, this beer is fully fermented before being placed in Bourbon barrels where the beer ages for one year with the Sour Cherries and the wild Brettanomyces yeast that we inoculate the barrels with.

Added by jcalabre on 06-14-2003

Ratings: 1,205 |  Reviews: 413
3.99/5  rDev -4.3%

2011 Batch. Corked and caged 375 into a Patron Sinner stem.

The beer pours a muddy mahogany brown color. No head. The slightest ring of miniscule bubbles forms around the outside of the glass. At least its something.

Very interesting nose, vinegar, cherries and bourbon mingle with tart funk. Taste is a melange of of flavors woven together in a wonderfully sour, tart tapestry. Sour cherries up front give way to notes of oak, bourbon and vanilla. A puckering tartness manifests itself mid palate and fades to a lingering sour aftertaste. Alcohol is masterfully hidden by the intricate blend of funk, bourbon and sour cherries.

Mouthfeel is where things go a bit awry. The beer is medium to full bodied, which is fine, but the exeedingly low level of carbonation really takes away from the experience. A healthy dose of bubbles would really serve to accentuate the complex relationships between all the different flavors at work in this brew.

Overall Cuvee de Tomme is a very good beer that could be phenomenal with the help of a bit more carbonation. My bottle was not completely flat, but it was far from fizzy. I enjoyed it nonetheless, and consider it another solid offering from Lost Abbey. Looking forward to my next bottle.

3.82/5  rDev -8.4%

This review pertains to a 2011 CdT I had over the weekend.

No pop, what-so-ever. It's a shame, I've had this beer in a few other vintages, and they were stellar. Easily top-tier sours, however this was uninspiring.

A: Beautiful beer...however no lacing, no head no bubbles, but beautiful dark ruby color.

S: Dark fruit, sour aroma...very complex. Lots of oak, bourbon. This could have all been amplified with some carbonation.

T: Same with smell, all the complexities could have been brought out even more with some carb. Lots of dark fruit, oak, seriously sour.

M: This is where CdT loses...w/out the bubble, the tart and sourness are brought to a silent mumble.

O: Tomme Arthur has made some of the best beers I've ever had, however has disappointed me the same amount of times I've been blown away.

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%

2009 Vintage

A - Pours almost dead flat (no head) with a rich mahogany brown color and hazy. Leaves no lace and a small trace of carbonation can be seen on the top. For a wild ale I was expecting much more carbonation/head.

S - VERY tart with a rich wood aroma in the background. The cherries pair very well with the wood. The raisins and bourbon are somewhat lost IMO and don't come forward as much as I would have hoped. Still very impressive overall.

T - Quite intense...the flavors of wood and cherries first come to the palate and then the sour yeast esters join the party. Again, the raisins aren't easy to pick up but their sweetness is hinted at in the flavor. Everything blends very well with the dry wood and tart cherries melding together very nicely.

M - Medium body with a super dry aftertaste. Vanishes from the palate semi-quickly but the dryness makes one want another sip quickly. The ABV is undetected in flavor but it's warmth can be detected after a few sips.

O - Not my favorite beer from Lost Abbey but given the degree of difficult this one is to make it is very impressive. It's a solid beer with simple ingredients that come together to make a solid offering.

4.55/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours opaque brown, thin head. Great complexity! Bretty nose, slight sour cherry and blackberry notes. Very slight bourbon character comes out as it warms. Alcohol warms the throat. What an awesome "malt beverage". Make sure you don't serve it too cold, you will miss out on a lot. I have done a 3 year vertical tasting and it definitely gets better with age, although it all vintages are good right now.

4.56/5  rDev +9.4%

A- pours a dark brown with a garnet tinge. No head because the carbonation is rather low but it completely works.

S- starts out with tart tannic acidity up front. Rich esters mingle in with big tart cherry notes. Amazing soft oak and sweet caramel bourbon tones mingle in with the sour notes. Finishs with a dry raisin with a red vineous Flanders note.

T- very fruity up front with subdued dark raisin and big tart cherry pie filling with an even loving acidity. Dusty tannins come in with notes of vanilla. The oak balances out the acidity with spicey bourbon and soft French oak. Finishs dry and vineous with a doughy malt character. Dry raisins and bourbon lasts long into the aftertaste with a palpable acidity.

MF- mouthfeel is slick and coating. A miniscule sip will rupture all over the palate. Slightly syrupy robust medium body with extremely low carbonation.

D- can't taste the alcohol one bit. It is hidden behind the huge flavors. Still a slow sipper because I never want it to end!

4.36/5  rDev +4.6%

The cork pulls off without the slightest pop, but after all what would you expect from Lost Abbey. Pours a very cherry color with no head.

Smell is of tart cherries, lots of tart cherries. Some slight bourbon and oak as well.

Very weird taste, tons of tart sourness with a bourbon finish. Oaky vanilla comes through as well with a dry tannin finish from the wine barrels, very good.

Mouthfeel is very dry with almost no carbonation.

Overall this is a great beer, a little carbonation would be nice though.

4.23/5  rDev +1.4%

375ml corked and caged bottle that was traded to me by mashmaster. thanks! drank from my russian river "tion" glass. the most current batch, which i guess is 2009?

A- as soon as i remove the cage, the cork goes flying out of the bottle and beer gushes up from the neck! just joking, it comes out silently. the beer pours a flat looking murky dark brown colored body with no head. no lacing left on the sides of the glass.

S- i really love the nose on this one. brown sugar and raisins start it out with a nice sweet base. very vinous. tart cherries, a little bit of barnyard like funk. a little bit of lactic sourness. vanilla from the oak barrel. the alcohol is pretty well hidden. fantastic.

T- the brown sugar and raisins that i could smell come back in the taste and lay out a nice sweet base. lots of cherry and other wine like notes. sour, but not overly so. a little bit of barnyard funk shows up from time to time. vanilla from the time spent in the barrel. the alcohol shows up throughout.

M- the body is on the upper side of medium. the carbonation is on the extreme low side of light. sour but not puckering.

O- the lack of carbonation killed the score on this, but i still really enjoyed it. i would love to get my hands on one of the older/carbonated bottles. i remember liking this bottled version much more than the one at EBF. palate fatigue?

2.69/5  rDev -35.5%

A- Pours a dark, molasses color and viscosity into my snifter. There is not even a hint of carbonation on this beer which is a huge bummer but not something i can say i didn't expect considering the brewery...I like my beers with at least some life and while i expect head to be minimal considering the style and alcohol content, this one just isn't cutting it...

S- Thick sugars and rasins with a hint of oak but alcohol is also very apparent on this one. Not much noticeable sour or tart aromas coming out of this glass but I'll let it warm up anyway

T- Taste also reveals that there is no carbonation. Flavors start out mildly sweet with some lemony tartness/bitterness in the forefront. As i let it rest i my mouth i get some chocolatey, maltyness that i didn't expect to see in this one. Certainly not as boozy as the nose would lead me to believe. Sweetness from the cherries and attenuation leaves a sugar bubble in my throat, something i only want in a RIS.

M- viscous and dead

O- Not my favorite offering, too sweet and under carbonated. If it were more lively i could have easily bumped the score up substantially.

2.89/5  rDev -30.7%

On tap at Monk's Cafe served in a 12+ ounce octogon glass. The brew appears murky dark brown with a few bubbles around the edge of the glass. When held to the light, it appears with lighter brown coloration along the edges with some red hues. A swirl revives a few bubbles but fails to produce a head.

The smell of this is dark sugary alcohol coupled with chocolate malt. Some sweet barrel presence is here with a mild touch of oak and vanilla. The overall impression left in the nose is that of raisins soaked in alcohol. Some deep earthy character developes as the brew warms.

The taste of this brew is deep and fruity with alcohol mixed with a presence of raisins and chocolate malt. No surprise here based off of the aroma. The alcohol is prevalent coupled with a very mild barrel presence. Each sip makes me think of molasses, dark caramelized sugar, raisins and a light touch of yeast.

This is a full bodied brew that is undercarbonated. Big booze and sweetness is a constant reminder of raisins soaked in alcohol. I could not finish my glass, I had a hard time finishing but 5-6 ounces of this. I've had this brew before and based on that experience and the reassurance of this brew's description makes me believe that something different was going in here. It is grossly under-attenuated, undercarbonated and displayed zero of the described character of tart cherries and "wild" barrel influence. I have a bottle which I will end up reviewing but I seriously hope it doesn't taste like this.

4.3/5  rDev +3.1%

On tap at monks.

A- no head just a thin line of tan around the glass. Very dark brown with a deep red glow at the edges.

S- burnt brown sugar and dark bread with a light sour funk to it. Touches of spice and sweet. Very interesting nose, smells like a quad but then there's something else.

T- opens up with a big sour tart fruity flourish that rolls into a rich dark sweetness. Brown sugar on top of dark toasted whole wheat bread. Complex layers of bready grains and funky wood keep the palate guessing. Slight vinous notes and some earthy herbal undertones. Complex stuff.

M- a few steps above medium in body and a tick below medium in carb. Good pucker.

O- didn't know what to think about this brew but after I spent my time with it I'm very impressed and really enjoyed it. Interesting and fun, I'm really glad I got to try this on draft since the bottles seem to have many issues.

3.66/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours a murky dark brown color with no head. An oily film develops on the top of the beer and there is some floating sediment that sinks to the bottom of the glass. There is no lacing whatsoever. Smells of vinegar, sour cherries, and funk/must. Taste is of sour cherries, malt vinegar, wood, and funk/must. There is an alcohol presence in the throat after each sip. There is no carbonation on this beer. Extremely flat and somewhat drying in the mouth. Overall, this is a nice smelling and tasting beer but the appearance and mouthfeel kill it for me. This would be awesome if the carbonation issue were fixed. Disappointing for the $15.99 I paid for the small bottle.

4.09/5  rDev -1.9%

Again big thanks to Trappistlover for this one!

2010 Vintage poured into snifter.

A: Dark red with very very very little carb bibbles on the outer ring. I know this beer is said to always be flat so I expected such.

S: Really nice, acidic vinegar smell with some cherries and maybe a little spice in there. I don't smell any of the bourbon though. Smells a lot like a red wine actually.

T: Great, like the smell acidic, but really well blended with the other flavors. I definitely taste the cherries but I am also getting peach and sour apple, outstanding. The lack of carbonation isn't really bothering me.

M: Dry and flat, but truly not bad.

O: This beer far surpassed my expectations. I loved it. The carbonation wasn't a problem for me, however if there was a bit more this beer would definitely rank higher and be on a whole other level. Worth the hunt if you're into sours.

4.5/5  rDev +7.9%

at lost abbey 5th anniversary party, was served a bottle of 2009 vintage.

A- very dark brown with hues of ambers and auburns, very little to no head to speak of.

S- tart cherries and oak, slight caramel and funk. very interesting.

T- again tart cherries but not overwhelming sourness very nice and clean taste through the middle and finishes with more cherries begging you to drink more.

M- refreshing and much lighter in my mouth than i expected from the color.

O- epic beer. i want more.

4.33/5  rDev +3.8%

2010 bottle poured into a snifter. Thanks to my brother for this bottle.

A - Pours a still murky brown. No carbonation, no head, no lacing. Not unexpected... but still not good.

S - Whoa... here we go. I get bourbon barrel, vanilla, some mild tart funkiness, and cherries. Very nice.

T - This beer is damn tasty. A very interesting combination of bourbon barrel dark belgian frutiness, wine barrel tannins, tart cherries, raisins, maybe some chocolate, and finishes with a light burn from the 11% abv.

M - The lack of carbonation kills this one... tingly from the tartness, with a slight drying finish from the high abv and the wine-like tannins.

O - Overall... if this beer were carbonated even a little bit, it would be world class. There is a lot going on, and it does work well together. I'm very glad to have tried this beer, but probably wouldn't seek it out again due to the carbonation factor. This has been beat to death... but c'mon Lost Abbey... carbonation is not that difficult unless youre bottling unblended lambic, which you are not. End rant. Very tasty beer.

4.29/5  rDev +2.9%

The Lost Abbey 2009 Cuvee de Tomme, brewed and bottled by Port Brewing Company, San Marcos, CA, malt beverage brewed with raisins with cherries added, aged in bourbon barrels.

Here goes. A word ahead: I hate, hate, HATE the ramblings, and natterings-on in their back label descriptions. Verbatim: "You are holding in your hands one of the most elusive and sought after small batch beers known simply as Cuvee. Our Cuvee de Tomme is a blend of Old World Brewing Traditions and New World Brewing Processes. It is made from Judgement Day DArk Ale which then aged in AMerican Bourbon and French Oak Wine barrels. We add some fantastic wild yeasts and Sour Cherries to the barrels creating a secondary fermentation. After one year, our brewers then get together to work out the final blend, This means that each batch of Cuvee will vary slightly between bottling. Yet, the result will always be a memorable drinking experience. Pour into a wide glass and let the beer breathe. Notes of juicy cherries. Luscious Vanilla and Supple Tannins integrate in a smooth finish. We think like most, you will find our most creative energies on display in this unique and style shattering beer worthy of the title Cuvee."

Alc. 11% by Vol. 750 ml bottle.

I like this label, the Dali homage. I'm a sucker for that.

I chose this for Beer Advocate review #3000 because I've been after it for years. At least 6, maybe more. Finally got it in trade last year, saved it for now. Why not, 3000, that's something to hoot about, right?

Well, here we go: I turned off the TV, and put on some Trane, hoping that music will inspire me to come up with words for this. Off goes the cage, then the cork, into the glass…Dark brown body, no head at all…no points off, yet, but it is disappointing. I pour again, and there's something, which dies down immediately. Okay, so looking dark, but unimpressive, let's move on…

Aroma: Wow. Intense. Bourbon, cherries, raisins, badda bing, badda bang, badda boom. What else you want, hot shot? Sourness, hugeness, then sweet. Deep, immense, incredible, …it's all going on.

Taste: big sour! Intense puckeration, pulls back the lips and tongue with raw abandon, sour cherries giving no mercy, softly, slowly relenting. I calm myself, relax, and lean back to raise the glass to lips again…ah! There it is, again, and it's big, and brutal. Maybe more than I'd like. And I like sour flavors, love lambics and Flemish Reds. Love bourbon barrels, love raisins, and cherries, but also love balance, integration, and something a bit more mellow, a soft unfurling of flavors. Did I hit this one too soon? It is over a year and a half old, at least.

Drink more…and think more of the same. Very juicy, very boozy, not getting anything from hops, not expecting it, not getting much from malt, either. This is mostly flavor coming straight out of the fruit and barrel-aging, the base beer is completely disguised. The tannins are kicking in, surely as described…"vanilla"? over-used, very minor…it's mostly cherry and raisin, though slowly softening, and letting in other flavors. Yeah, it's getting cool and calm all of a sudden. Awesome, as frantic, devotional Trane turns into measured and mournful, heading into beatific.

My opinion changes now…raisins and sour cherries still dominate the flavor, tart is king, but it is cool, now, very mellow. "Lush Life" come on, …"I used to visit all the very gay places, those come what may places, where one relaxes on the axis of the wheel of life, to get the feel of life, from jazz and cocktails. …"
I'm getting a lushfull feeling right now, starting inside and spreading through my extremities. Oooo, yeah.
Ah, this is better than any 12 0'clock tails, for certain. Would be lovely if something as nice as this were as readily available as a bottle of this wine or that cognac or the other blah-blah-blah. But special beer is special for a reason.

Mmm, sweet, ahhh, sour. And there are those whiskey barrel edges hemming it in.
"And I'll live a lush life in some small dive, and there I'll be, while I rot with the rest, of those whose lives are lonely, too…"

Plenty of sweetness, well matched by plenty of sour. Plenty puckeration, huge fruition. An extremity, well balanced. Bigness, terrifically maintained. The alcohol slowly creeps in.

Wait, another song comes on…

"You are too beautiful, my dear to be true, and I am a fool for beauty…"

I dedicate this to 3000 beers, some good, some not so good, some so beautiful.

3.84/5  rDev -7.9%

05/08/11- Review of a 375 mL bottle. FLAT
A: Flat, murky mahogany. Doesn't look good at all.
S: Molasses, cherry, strong blue cheese, walnut, and vinegar. Welcoming.
T: Very nice... molasses, cranberry-cherry, fruity overall, leather earthiness, and not extemely sour, but rather with a dry finish. It is almost like fig and cherry pie.
M: Flat, thicker... not so good.
O: If carbonated, this would have been VERY delightful. However, in this case, it was only OK.

4.14/5  rDev -0.7%

2009 vintage poured into a Lost Abbey Tulip. Very nice garnet red color. No head at all. No lacing. Looks flat.

Aroma is super funky and sour. Lots of tart cherry aroma.

Taste is flat. Super sour. Like warhead candy sour. Little bit of cherry and funk lingers on your tongue after swallow.

Mouthfeel is dry and flat. Dry is good. But it should be on the high carb side.

Overall I've had this beer several times and it's good when carbed. Still tasty when it's not though.

3.85/5  rDev -7.7%

2009 vintage courtesy of jedwards. He really pulled out the stops for this tasting. Bottles open with not so much a pop, but a light woosh. Pours a semi-hazy mahogany with no head, just a couple bubbles across the surface. Nose is vinous and has a slightly sweet character. There's also a suggestion of burnt sugar, ethanol esters and a slightly medicinal quality. Taste follows nose with the addition of light, tart cherries, a slightly buttery quality and a salty flavor that lingers on the lips between quaffs. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light). There's some minimal carbonation here, but it's almost still. A slightly acidic and vinous character also lightly stimulates the salivary glands along the sides of the cheek. All and all, an easy drinking dark sour - not over the top and fairly even-bodied throughout.

The 2010 vintage (opened immediately following) pours slightly darker in appearance. The nose on the 2010 is a 4.5 in my opinion - bourbon notes comes out as well as dark or caramelized sugar. Some cherries also come out as the brew begins to warm. Taste follow nose - much more cherry is expressed in the 2010 than the 2009. I'm also digging the bourbon character in this vintage. There's also a bit of citric acid in this one. The drinkability on the 2010 is a 4.5 in my opinion. I have to say that I enjoyed the 2010 vintage more than the 2009, but they really come off as two distinctly different beers in my opinion, so it's probably more of a preference thing. That being said, I'd have to rate the 2009 as a B+, while the 2010 is a solid A.

4.89/5  rDev +17.3%

No pop of the cork. Pours a minimal head that has no retention.
sits in the glass dark brown. No lacing what so ever.
I am impressed with the smell. Warm booziness fills the nose alongside the cherries. Lots of oak and wood characters.
The taste is Sour with cherries up front. Booze, sweet figs, vanilla, real cream soda flavors, and even some cocoa flavors. Exceptional!
Mouthfeel is medium stickiness with a hint of carbonation.
Over all this is a world class brew. The style says some may not care for the sourness. I think the sour cherries are brilliant in the brew. This beer drinks way to easy for this style. Kudos again to the brewery who took over the old Stone building!!!

4.2/5  rDev +0.7%

taste- tart fruit, sour flavors

color- chestnut

clarity- clear

smell- vanilla, funk, cherries, wine barrel, alcohol

body- medium weight, lean mouthfeel, medium length finish, hop bite at the front of the tongue, sour flavors on the side of the tongue

appearance- flat, very thin off-white carbonation ring around the glass with very little lacing

overall impression- glad i tried it but don't think i'd seek it out again for $34

notes and comments- 2009 vintage

beer spy- city beer store, san francisco ca, 2010, $33.99, 750mL

glassware: tulip

3.56/5  rDev -14.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: I had read a few reviews of this one that talked about how flat it was, so I wasn't surprised when there was absolutely no pop when I took out the cork. What I wasn't ready for was the way this beer looked. This is an ugly mother. The color is a muddy, murky brown that kind of looks like sewage.

S: This is better. A lot of cherry smell with some vanilla. There's also a bit of a jammy smell that hints of blackberries. I know this was aged in bourbon barrels, but I'm just not picking up any hint of that.

T: A lot of tart cherries, some vanilla and a little bit of a funk/sour flavor. This had a lot of wine qualities to it and the tannins were definitely present and gave it a dry feel. Overall, I'm glad I tried this one, but I don't think it's worth $40 for a bomber.

4.04/5  rDev -3.1%

A - poured a deep vinous red color without any head at all

S - smells of sweet cherries, vanilla bourbon, dark fruits, and caramel malts

T - starts off with loads of sweet cherries hitting the front of the tongue that merges into a really nice vanilla, brown sugar, caramel malt blend. It is akin to taking a bit out of cherry pie that used some brown sugar and vanilla in the crust and just a subtle splash of bourbon in the filling. Really good stuff here.

M - there isn't any carbonation in this guy at all...goes down smoothly enough though

D - I really enjoyed this wild ale a lot. Really good spectrum of flavors that came together to form a delicious beer. I would love to try this again.

3.46/5  rDev -17%

A flat beer? From Flat Abbey? Who'da guessed it. Poured into a tulip.

2.0 A: Ruddy dark plum color. No head.

3.5 S: Bourbon and cherry are the main attraction and work really well together. Sourness from the cherries and the bugs and vanilla from the barrels. Tangy lactic acid fruitiness. I bet this would smell amazing if there was some carbonation to shuttle aroma molecules to the surface.

4.0 T: I bet it would be amazing if the easy part was done right for once. Usually when bourbon meets Belgian, the bourbon covers all the subtle Belgian flavors. Apparently when bourbon meets Belgian and that meets cherries and bugs, the result ain't bad at all. Anyway, sour cherries and lactic acid start this off with a tangy sour punch. Leathery bourbon, vanilla, and oak supplement this well. Light "supple tannin" astringency. Vinous with prune and fig fruitiness.

2.0 M: Medium body. Flat, flat, flat, flat, and flat. Super smooth though.

3.5 D: Despite Tomme's usual carbonation antics, this is actually pretty good. This would be one hell of a beer with carbonation. This has a lot of things done right, but one major thing done wrong. Shame on you Tomme for releasing your namesake with such a major flaw.

3.7/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 vintage poured into a Cigar City snifter on 4/5/11.

Pours a super dark brown almost a blackish watery liquid with no head at all. No carbonation in this one.

Smell has lots going on. Sour cherries, wood, vanilla, and a touch of bourbon.

Taste is a lot like wine. Also sour cherries, very sweet with a little bourbon on the back.

Mouthfeel has a lot to be desired on this vintage. Its smooth and I like it and all but it really needs some carbonation bite to complete the feel. I am disappointed but not hopeful that I will get to try a better vintage.

Drinkability is low to moderate on this vintage. I stress this vintage. I have heard good things about the others but try to stay away from

3.24/5  rDev -22.3%

I had a Red Poppy the other day and it had carbonation, and also tasted pretty damn good. I decided to give Flat Abbey another try with this. The most recent vintage.

Appearance - "Pop" Just kidding. As I pull the cork out I don't even hear the slightest bit of a hiss. This is not looking good. Pouring into my RR Tulip with a vigorous pour, I achieve zero head. Awesome.

Smell - Dark fruit, sour and tart aromas, oak, slight barnyard funk. The nose does not impress me nearly as much as Red Poppy.

Taste - I taste alcohol up front followed by dark fruits such as sweet cherries, prunes, and raisins. Slight oak and vanilla. Not enjoyable since it is completely flat.

Mouthfeel - Tastes like medium bodied flat beer. Does finish a hint dry.

Overall - Sadly, I have two more of these in my cellar. Perhaps with time they may gain a little carbonation. I obviously know LA is known to have carbonation issues but you would think after all this time, and with there being carbonation in this year's Red Poppy, it would have been fixed. I refuse to rate this high because of the slight hype around this or to justify the price. To be honest, this was probably the worst $16 dollars I have spent on beer. The flavors didn't impress me, the beer was flat, and the alcohol was noticeable. Red Poppy was much more enjoyable. I really haven't given LA much business in the past due to known carbonation issues and this has affirmed I will pretty much stay away from them in the future. They do put out some good stuff but I refuse to drop that much money on a beer that does not perform. Additionally, don't try to claim "it is supposed to be that way." There should be SOME carbonation. Mine had ZERO. It was a flat boozy mess. Not impressive at all.

Cuvee De Tomme from The Lost Abbey