Judgment Day | The Lost Abbey

Judgment DayJudgment Day

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

A massive beer in every sense of the word. A stronger and more contemplative version of our Lost and Found Ale. Judgment Day is the base beer for our Cuvee de Tomme. Many of the Trappist Breweries produce a version of beer which ages incredibly well for many years to come. And, since none of us knows when the end of the world is coming, we suggest you stock up with lots of Lost Abbey beers so that when the end of the world magically appears from no where, you’ll have a beer or two on hand for even the stingiest of angels.

Added by scottoale on 12-23-2006

Reviews: 418 | Ratings: 1,094
1.24/5  rDev -68%

After being impressed with many other LA beers, i was extremely disappointed in judgment day. Thought maybe i got a bad bottle, but after reading the last review guess it wasn't just me. I had the same problem with the cork just flopping out, and almost no carbonation in the beer. Poured a hazy chocolate milk color, smelled like raisin puree and had one of the worse mouthfeels I have ever had in a beer. I would seriously drink BMC over this beer. Bummer.

1.48/5  rDev -61.9%

My first review (of a flat bottle): 1.5 / 4.0 / 2.5 / 1.0 / 1.0

My second review is here. Lightly chilled bottle into a glass. This has been stored at room temperature since its Dec. 2008 release.

A: It pours a clear maroon / ruby color with burgundy highlights when held to a light. It darkens to opaque in the center, but the edges reveal stunning translucence. No head, no carbonation. Of all styles, quads are supposed to have high carbonation. Not a good sign.

S: Surprisingly pungent for a brew with no life. Lots of dark fruits: raisins, figs, caramel, brown sugar, and a hint of muscat grapes. Attractive.

T: This tastes like a phenomenal quad, at first. Lots of raisins, candied figs, and dates. Biscuit, caramel, and brown sugar malts in the mid-taste. There is also some warming clove throughout. The finish is pretty boozy though, and it winds up dominating the taste unpleasantly, especially as the beer warms.

M: Medium-full bodied, with zero carbonation. Sticky taste, poorly masked ABV.

D: So much potential, but it came off as really disgusting with the poorly blended ABV and complete lack of head. I paid about $10 per bottle. My first, in March, was flat. My second, a year after release, is also flat. Christ.

1.7/5  rDev -56.2%

What the hell Lost Abbey? Sure I can start by saying it poured a deep brown color with ruby highlights. That it had absolutely no carbonation. There were flavors of raisins, figs, leather, and sweet alcohol.

However, the main point here is that this thing was cloyingly sweet like my first attempt at brewing a barley wine before I understand concepts of residual sweetness resulting in me dumping that batch down the drain. This thing was so sweet I thought it did not get properly fermented so I logged onto Lost Abbey's web site and got their beginning and finishing gravities and checked it with my hydrometer. It was, to my surprise, attenuated as advertised. Sickingly sweet and no carbonation. I can only hope this was some experiment batch or there are quality control issues going on at Lost Abbey because it was horrible. I'll stick to the other quads in the future.

1.77/5  rDev -54.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Dark brown, purple hue (or was it the label?), without much head, didn't look inviting at all. Aroma was largely muted, didn't take much away from it.

What is this? Equal parts prune juice and Bud Light with a boilermakeresque shot in it? Ugh. Alcohol soaked prunes. Massive alcohol on the tongue. Maybe some fig or other dark fruit to it, but I just can't get passed the prunes and hard liquor. Carbonation wasn't helping.

I'm sorry, but I thought this beer was downright terrible. Can't recommend it.

2.08/5  rDev -46.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

Some dark brown pour, almost nothing for a head. Flat abbey. Aroma was meh, I didn't really find anything to speak of or objectionable.

Taste was super hot alcohol and prune/raisin juice. How this can be the base beer for a really good beer, I have no idea. It just tastes like hot unsweetened juice of a shitty nature.

2.12/5  rDev -45.4%

Poured into a Duvel glass. Very little carbonation, and no head at all. There was some light lacing at the edges, and that's all.

Smell was boozy, there is no doubt this is a high alcohol beer. There was a bit of fruit in there as well, and a slight bit of pepper.

Taste was very much on the boozy side. There is some fruit in there, probably due to the raisins used in brewing. Also considerable alcohol warming in the back on the throat. Finishes very dry.

The mouthfeel suffers from the lack of carbonation, it comes across as thin. The hop bitterness lingers a bit at the end.

This is very much a sipper, I had a hard time drinking more than small sips at a time. The equivalent alcohol beer and style to this one for me is LaTerrible by Unibroue, which to me is much more drinkable. I expected more from this one, and overall wasn't too impressed. Usually I can drink a bottle in one sitting, not sure I can with this one.

After thinking about it for a few days, I decided to edit my review a bit. I figured I was too generous the first time around. Not sure if it was due to getting a bad bottle, but this beer was basically undrinkable. I described it to co workers as tasting like paint thinner. I try my hardest to finish beer I buy, as I don't like to be wasteful, but most of this went down the drain.

2.31/5  rDev -40.5%

Tasted like flat grape soda. Not much else to report.

I wouldn't buy this beer again. Its really just flat boring, had more of a mouth feel of cheap wine.

It looked pretty, the color was quite nice, and the smell, while a bit sugary, wasn't bad.

Once this beer was in my mouth, i didn't quite want to spit it out, but looked at finishing the 750 more as an obligation rather than something I would enjoy.

2.41/5  rDev -37.9%

bottled on 8 11 11

served into a duvel tulip

pours brown with a heavy head and a head that goes nowhere. thick globby lacing covers the glass

smells of dark fruits, raisins, and some slight malts

taste follows the nose. not too much going on here. kinda feel jipped what with all the nice artwork on the bottle.

mouthfeel is pretty light for a quad. its crisp, but falls flat at the end

2.46/5  rDev -36.6%

A: dark with a reddish hue. good 2 inch collar that dissipates rather quickly. nice lacing.

S: raisins and more raisins, just kinda blah.

T: again, kinda blah. kinda tastes like a quad i guess, nothing special

M: at the risk of sounding redundant, blah. this is my first beer from lost abbey, and while i know its not duck duck or cable car or angels share, i still had some decent expectations for this offering, as i really enjoy quads, but i'm not so sure about this one.

D: its not bad but not good. I would not recommend tis to anyone. i wouldn't say its horrible, but i will not seek it out or recommend it. BLAH!

2.47/5  rDev -36.3%

Found a bottle of this when I was home visiting the family, and had it again at a BA tasting.

A: The cork opens with no pop at all. Sounds flat, and pours flat. No visible carbonation. A dark, nearly opaque brown/reddish color. No head, and no lace. Looks dead an lifeless.
S: Dark fruits of raisins and plums mostly. Lightly toasted malt. Plenty of alcohol in the nose.
T: Alcohol drenched raisins and not much else. Lots of sickening sweetness as well.
M/D: Pretty much completely flat. I know this is a dead horse, but just dead and lifeless in the mouth, and kills the beer. Lots of hot alcohol, and a really big sweetness makes this hard to drink.

I am getting pretty tiered of sub par Lost Abbey products. I am pretty much done with their offerings after this. Not something I would recommend.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Lost Abbey in San Marcos. Quads are hit or miss for me and this one was the worst beer I had on my trip to San Diego. Really hard to drink this one.

2.52/5  rDev -35.1%

Once I popped the cork I knew this was going to be one of the so-called flat Lost Abbey ales. The pour revealed a very dark brown beer with little to zero head. The nose was reminiscent of raisins, dark fruit, dried cherries and lots of hot booze. The taste was very similar. I am a very big fan of the dark fruit flavors of Lost Abbey and this beer did not disappoint, it had all the wonderful pieces I love. I felt the composition of this beer was slightly off base, due to the lack of carbonation, it did however have an incredibly smooth, velvet like feel which I enjoy thoroughly. Overall, I am a bit perplexed by this beer. There are parts which I love and parts that I absolutely cant stand, I think I might have to retry this beer and hopefully I will get a product that is able top to bottom full of quality instead of the half-assed beer I drank.

2.62/5  rDev -32.5%

750 ml corked bottle. Poured into a chalice glass.

A: Pours a quite opaque dark brown color with, no joke, no head of any sort to speak of, whatsoever. Considering the rumors I've read, this worries me...

S: If not for a pleasant, Belgian caramel/sugary aroma and some bread-like yeast qualities, this would smell like grape juice. The label claims that it is brewed with raisins, but this is bordering on wine. Still, it's not too bad.

T: Oh man, does this taste sweet, and not in a good way. Definitely strong sugar/molasses and raisin characteristics, both of which lend a sweetness that borders on sickly so. Other dark fruit notes like plums and even some pomegranate lend some complexity. However, there is still this nagging, grape juice quality that I can't shake.

M: Where do I begin? Pretty full-bodied and the aftertaste is of dark fruit, which I mildly enjoyed. That being said, there is next to ZERO carbonation in this beer, which gives it a sort of wine-like quality that I did not appreciate. If this beer had even a modicum of the carbonation that their Inferno Ale possessed, this would be a very solid beer.

D: Again, the lack of carbonation is a real deal-breaker, and does not endear itself to me.

Oh dear... Given what I've read in several posts about this brewery, I can't help but wonder if this bottle was the result of some inconsistency on their end. Considering the fact that I paid about $11 for this bottle, I had really high hopes for this beer, and the utter absence of carbonation practically nullified all the good qualities it had going for it. The label claims that it has an ABV of 10.5%, but God bless America, I've enjoyed beers of higher alcohol content that poured with pretty downright respectable heads. I may try this again in the future, as I'm quite certain that this beer was supposed to have a bit of carbonation to it, but I will be then, as I am now, EXTREMELY skeptical.

2.63/5  rDev -32.2%

750 ml corked and caged bottle purchased from Beverage Warehouse in Marina Del Rey for nine dollars, split with my dad two nights ago, poured into my Firestone pint glass

A-Dark brown with some dark red highlights, absolutely no head, retention, or lacing

S-Raisins, plums, dates, figs, plums, funky spices, soda, bread, toffee, brown sugar, and caramel

T-Sweet taste that was filled with raisins, faint chewy malt in the middle, finish had a ton of booze in it, syrupy the entire time, alcohol taste got stronger and stronger, became even sweeter as time went by, something felt missing, not much going on except for booze and fruit here

M-This beer is in desperate need of carbonation, full bodied but syrupy, sweet and boozy mouthfeel, taste lingered way too long

D-Could not dirnk more than a few ounces, super heavy on the stomach, too hot for me, alcohol was not hidden at all, least smooth quad I have tasted

My least favorite beer from Lost Abbey, lacks the complexity an uniqueness that their other beers have, could drink any more beer after having this other night, would not drink again, only worth trying if you were curious like me

2.77/5  rDev -28.6%

Short and simple: This beer taste OK, but I found nothing special about it.

The worst part was how it made my mouth feel. After every sip, my mouth felt very dry (like when you drink an early tannic wine).

With that said, I did finish the bottle, but I don't think I will be buying this again.

2.77/5  rDev -28.6%

I've heard many a good thing about the Lost Abbey brews so I had high expectations for this brutal concoction.
A - Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle in to a tulip. The color is dark and a little murky, some sediment is obvious on the bottom. A fair amount of head that stuck around for a minute and left some legs.

S - A strong and delicious smell from this brew. Chocolote and fruity. A bit of an oaky earth tone.

T - I flinched a little. The fruit stands out much more than expected. The raisin flavor is a little more than I like, it comes off like a batch of bad Dr. Pepper. Don't get me wrong, I finished the bottle, but as far as a quad goes this is not very impresive.

M/D - A decent mouthfeel. Lost points on drinability due to the taste. All and all I don't think I will try this one again. The 10+ ABV doesn't justify the suffering.

2.81/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

From notes. Poured from a 750 mL caged and corked bottle into a tulip. I think this is a 2011 bottle, but there is no date anywhere to be found.

Right away I am kind of annoyed at this beer. With an aggressive pour, no head forms, and I am only able to create a few large bubbles that should not be confused for carbonation.

The aroma is sweet and raisin forward. Dates, molasses, caramel malts, and booze are present as well.

There is something a little bit strange in the taste. There are sweet, booze soaked raisins and dates up front, but there is a slightly tart and metallic apple cider flavor that throws me off a little bit. It does not seem infected, but it is not that good. Notes of caramel, molasses, toffee, and rum come through as well, with the finish still being quite sweet.

How it feels on the palate is definitely a weak spot. There is no carbonation, and overall it has a syrupy texture and flavor to go along with the medium to full body. There is a slightly tannic finish.

There is not much I really like about this beer.

2.84/5  rDev -26.8%

Caged and corked bottle poured into a Trios Pistoles Chalice, I'm keeping that horse thing going. First thing I noticed was the lack of carbonation it produced no head no matter how hard the pour. The brew is a Dark deep brown in color

Aromas of dark fruits Burgandy like in a lot of ways with a good spice notes as well. The alcohol is well hidden either

Flavors of big sweet dark fruits and alcohol hit your mouth first. Not much bitter in this at all a little spice dryness in the end. This is the first time I can truly say the mouthfeel really detracted from the brew no carbonation at all and very watery

Not impressed at all with this one had a ton of better Quads and I really enjoy the style. I finished the bottle but not one of my favorites

2.87/5  rDev -26%

I poured this into a Trappist glass. The pour had very little carbonation with a very small light brown head around the edge(almost none at all). The beer itself was a dark brown almost black color to it.

The smell was the first indication just how boozy this one is. It had hints of what seemed like chocolate but the alcohol smell definitely overpowered it.

The taste had hints of deep chocolate with almost nutty touches, with dark fruit overtones. Also very malty - although once again the alcohol overpowers.

The mouthfeel is fairly medium to flat for me. The texture is a little thick but the lack carbonation for me doesn't bring it up to par. It has a bit of a bitter dry finish.

Overall not bad but for what it is I'd find another alternative.

2.88/5  rDev -25.8%

Poured into sturdy chalice. Poured the color of Coca-Cola with a few bubbles on top, but no head. Good carbonation, lots of bubbles stick to side of the glass, again like Coke.

A strong, sweet aroma greets you as soon as you open the bottle. The dominate aroma is fruity, mostly grapes. The flavors are not as fruity as the aroma led me to believe. I didn't find any real outstanding flavors, but a nice well-rounded blend.

Typical body for the style, perhaps just a little thin. Not as drinkable as most, due to lack of a feature flavor. Overall a solid, if unspectacular, example of the style. Try it if you see it.

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

Good color, a dark ruby brown, but this style of beer should have a much more impressive head. This one has close to none.

Quite a fruity nose with some spicy alcohol and rich candy. Definately the best aspect of this beer.

The taste is powered by a combination of ripe and dried fruits. Young alcohol and some strangely paired yeasts and spices.

Thick syrupy body is under carbonated. Even though this is a fairly simple quad, it seems out of balance. A bit hot as well.

At $10 a bottle, there are so many better options. Sorry Tomme, but my first Lost Abbey experience was not very enjoyable. I had a hard time finishing the bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -24.5%

Large corked bottle, fresh 2008 version, poured into a goblet.

Dark reddish brown, with some shiny highlights, and a rather small light tan head that dissipates fast and leaves little lacing behind.
Aroma is mostly dark fruits, a hint of caramel, and too much raisin.
Medium, almost full bodied, the taste shows the same dark fruits, but again the raisins take center stage, and can get quite annoying at times, along with a hint of caramel, and still manages to finish somewhat dry.
Decent at best for a lighter belgian style ale, it is far from a quadrupel, except in alcohol content. If I am going to rate this as a quadrupel, it might be one of the worst.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

No head at all even though it was poured aggressively. Murky brownish red in color.
Raisons, red wine, alcohol, doesnt smell that exciting.
Lots of raisons and alcohol. Not very sweet compared to other quads.
Not much carbination, not as creamy as I would expect a quad to be.
I split the bottle with 3 other people and still did not want to finish my glass.

3.1/5  rDev -20.1%

750ml bottle poured into tulips. Thanks to Bitterbill for this one.

A = Bottle opened with almost no "pop" but carbonation forms upon pour. It is weird though, bubbling up like root beer and quickly fizzing away until only a thin ring around the edge and a small spot in the middle of the surface is all that remains. Color is a slightly hazy dark reddish brown.

S = Prunes, chocolate, root beer. Kind of funky, but not in a typical quad, Belgian yeast funk way, more in a soft drink kind of way.

T & M = This is like drinking syrup with chocolate malt and sugar added to it. It has a nice creamy feel to it, though perhaps that is due to only a very, very light carbonation, it doe have excellent mouthcoating, too. It does get cloying though, perhaps because it coats the mouth so well but is like a thick sugary confection. It's got various dark fruits and chocolates, but all in it's hard to say it is above average for a beer of the style.

D = About a glass is all I want and I'm not sure I will seek it out again, though it might be an excellent dessert drink.

3.11/5  rDev -19.8%

poured into my duvel tulip glass, poured a rich black with a slight redish purple at its thinist point, had tons of thick tan head on it that stuck around for a bit then settled to a thin lacing around the glass, the sent is hops, mollases and strong alchoal and a hint of fruit, the taste is alchoal at first sip that is burbon like then strong maltey molasseses and a bitter bite, their is hints of plums and raisins, maby a tuch of coffiee. their is not much that i like about this beer, it gets slightley better as it warms but still i dont like it, gess its just not my thing

Judgment Day from The Lost Abbey