Judgment Day | The Lost Abbey

Judgment DayJudgment Day

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

A massive beer in every sense of the word. A stronger and more contemplative version of our Lost and Found Ale. Judgment Day is the base beer for our Cuvee de Tomme. Many of the Trappist Breweries produce a version of beer which ages incredibly well for many years to come. And, since none of us knows when the end of the world is coming, we suggest you stock up with lots of Lost Abbey beers so that when the end of the world magically appears from no where, you’ll have a beer or two on hand for even the stingiest of angels.

Added by scottoale on 12-23-2006

Ratings: 1,112 |  Reviews: 425

3.12/5  rDev -19.6%

I have been drinking craft beers for almost 20 years now (even when craft beers were far and few between), but I can safely say that it is a glorious time for beer folk, but it has also gotten a bit out of hand. The talk of the town is Lost Abbey beers, and I too fell into line with the hype. But to be honest, this one did not impress me at all...

Appearance: Black with a 1/4 inch thick head.

Aroma: Raisins,figs, and other dark fruits.

Taste: On par with the aroma. But after the dark fruits, a subtle coffee taste comes through followed by a slight spice and some hops. Starts dry and finishes a bit on the spicy side.

Overall: I get what they are going for here and it is a nice beer and a sipper for sure at 10.5% abv. This (to me) is a nice beer to have after a good meal or by the fireplace in the cooler months. In May, this one was a pre-dinner crusher that left me looking for the bread sticks. Good variety of flavors, but I once again realize that the Belgians just do this so much better at the price. Cheers!!

3.61/5  rDev -7%

Bottled 1/10/12. Consumed 5/6/12.

A: Cola pour is a flat black in the vessel with a khaki colored head 2 fingers high and showed some resilience.

S: Rich coffee roast, after that things fall off a bit. Low to moderate level or aroma intensity, dark fruit, not bad, just expect more and better from this brewer. Average.

T: Sweet coffee roast flavor, plums, raisins, and dark chocolate. Spicy alcohol, tobacco, and some sweet dark fruitiness. Some pine and herbal hops mix in with some burnt cake. Warmth of coffee roast and alcohol on the close.

M: Lower end of medium body, frothy texture, spicy leave of pine-roast alcohol. Body was a bit lighter expected per style lacking a big malt presence.

O: Overall a flavor that showed some complexity, a manageable alcohol per bomber were its good points. A lack luster nose and mouthful were its weak points. Drinks like a strong ale rather quad, but a decent flavor despite the least for those who just want to have a good beer and not judge.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

4.18/5  rDev +7.7%

IM sampling a cellar temp bottle poured into a tulip snifter. I believe I received the bottle in 2009.
The beer pours a rich mahogany hue with creamy tan had foaming up 2-3 cm and fading to a sturdy surface layer and clingy edging.
Aroma is raisins and plums with molasses and brown sugar mixing in on a robust nose. The aroma I am getting are far from the normal quad notes I would expect, even the color is not typical for a quad.
First sip reveals average body with slightly syrupy texture and almost no carbonation makes for a smooth drinking beer.
Flavor is rich and malty with molasses and brown sugar dominant, also get some raisin and plums and red grape. The booze is well hidden and sneaks up on me during the review. This is actually an easy drinking beer despite the booziness and high octane. Dangerously easy to drink but very appealing flavor and welll crafted brew. Wish I had another bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours opaque brown with some golden highlights. A huge light mocha head forms from a very mellow pour, but dissipates quickly with no retention.

The bottle claims it's brewed with raisins, and it shows in the aroma. Dark fruity raisins are the first impression, with some of the malt coming through, a bit of yeast and some booze round it out.

Taste is tart grape tannins right off the bat. Allowing the beer to relax a little, gets me some smooth roasted malts in the middle, and a deep bitter tart finish.

While the beer is medium to heavy bodied, it's quite carbonated and bubbly. The acid from the tannins leave a bit a strange texture.

A nice beer, and a good take on the quad, but overall, just not quite the pure beer I want from such a special category of brew. The malts are a little covered up for me, and I was wanting some the missing malt complexity.

DOA

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

A- good, thick head and carbonation. Dark brown color.

S- malty sweet aroma. Reminds me of the wort-ish smell.

T- syrup-y sweet. Long in the finish with astringency. Raisins are sweet and up-front. Hops are nicely balanced and an aftertaste.

M- full bodied. Disappears in your mouth.

O- originally, I was trepidatious about fruit in my beer. However, the raisin seemed to add a dark sweetness that complimented the style. Really enjoyable overall.

2.5/5  rDev -35.6%

2.75/5  rDev -29.1%

3.27/5  rDev -15.7%

A- not just dark, kinda filmy and unclear. Head bubbles were way to big, showing that there was a lot of carbonation in this brew
S- Courant, raisin, malty notes
T- The flavors matched the smell, so no hidden flavors in this one. Very tasty, would say that taste is the strong point of the beer (and the fact that it's under $10) and would really like this level of complexity for a beer that doesn't need too much attention.
M- Liitle more carbonation than I'd like for this type of ale, though it's not offputting, and actually grows on you as you drink the bottle.

Overall, I would put this one on the low end of the Lost Abbey pool of beers I would pick from, but that means I would still pick it over 70% of beers out there. Good value for the $ and worth taking a taste of if you get the chance. I think it is one of those beers in the LA evolution that led to bigger, badder beers.

3.75/5  rDev -3.4%

3.88/5  rDev 0%

750mL bottle poured into tulip

Pours a deep, dark almost purply color - practically black. A thinner crop of beige head rests on top, slowly dissipating into some webbed lacing on the glass.

Rich in the nose with dark fruits and raisin. Some candied notes with a light touch of anise. Boozy warmth with some malty tones and plums.

Slightly sweet up front with a plethora of dark fruits. Candied with some syrupy notes. Plums, raisins and dates with a smack of boozy warmth. Rich, thick malt backbone with multiple layers of flavor. Bready with caramel and a hint of molasses. Finishes warm and a bit sweet.

Fuller body, well carbonated, sticky and full on the tongue. This is a pretty nice quad - I thought the alcohol might be a little overwhelming, but it was actually pretty balanced after a little time resting in the bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from the bottle into a chalice it develops a nice dark tan head. The appearance is dark mahogany brown. Scent is all dark fruit and yeasty bread. The taste while good is VERY sweet to my palate and is a bit off putting. Not quite as much carbonation as would be expected for a brew this sweet. I was hoping that this would be a good sub for some of the Belgian quads that I love since it's price is better but it's not quiet up to par for that purpose for me. Not a bad brew at all just a bit disappointing. Too sweet for my liking. Maybe my expectations were too high.

Judgment Day from The Lost Abbey