10 Commandments | The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.

Added by scottoale on 05-08-2007

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

3.68/5  rDev -6.6%

2009 vintage.

Appearance: Black with a red hue, minimal tan head that fades quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell: raisins, red fruit, malty, rosemary.

Taste: raisins, red fruit, malty, vanilla, honey.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, low carbonation, silky.

Overall: A tasty beer. Drinkability is moderate. Fairly complex.

3.97/5  rDev +0.8%

750 mL corked and caged bottle received as an extra long ago. Poured in to an oversized snifter, this one's a dark but slightly translucent cocoa brown, complete with a slew of nice, wispy yeast floating around the bottom of my glass. Subsequent sips cot the sides of the glass with plenty of lace at first, glittery and very Belgian, and the finger of mocha head fades in about thirty seconds.

Dates, figs, plums, and raisins on the nose, mingling with light spice, hints of juniper (I suppose the rosemary), and dry, dark malts, slightly reminiscent of chocolate. The taste is similar, but dryer - this one's had considerable time to age, and the tartness (slightly like bubble gum) of the fruits comes across very strongly. I thought it possibly soured at first, but suppose it's just the natural yeasty esters. Mouthfeel is good - subtle, mellow, low in carbonation, but with the dry body, nothing's too heavy or fat on the tongue.

All in all, a good beer, and one I might have enjoyed a little more fresh. Flavorful, but likely at one point more flavorful.

3.7/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured from a 750ml to a Duvel glass.

Pours a murky brown with a 2 finger off color white head, and plenty of sticky lace all about the place (cant tell if there is sediment floating or pieces of the cork that broke off). Smells of dark fruits soaked in alcohol, plums, figs, raisins etc. Nice breadiness from the malts, and a slight alcohol prefume. Huge sweetness on the tongue, grapes and figs all over. The sweet malts leave traces of chocolate covered raisins, and maraschino cherries that give a bitter/tart finish. Also i find as the beer warms up a bit a big Ny-Quil quality at the end, weird. Full bodied, medium-high initial carbonation that prepare your tongue for the bold sweetness. This beer is very well done, great complexity and composition, afraid its just way to sweet for my liking.

3.59/5  rDev -8.9%

Tasted blind as part of Blind BIF #6

Blind beer #2

750 mL cork and cage shared with a couple friends.

A - Pours murky mahogany with a bit of dark cream colored head. As it receded, it sounded like the fizzing of a coke. Really strange head 3.0

S - Fig, caramel as well as some mustiness. Kind of reminds me of spiced dirt. Bit more cherry and plum as it warms...yeah, tons of plum/prune/raisin...After warming, there's a little smoke as well. Interesting. 4.0

T - Nice sweet vanilla and plum, with a ton of belgian yeast. We've got ourselves a quad here. First thought is the pretty things plum quad...Some nice mild spicing, and actually a prety solid quad or BSDA. A slightly tannic finish is making me think there's some oak in there as well 3.5

M - Very full bodied with a thick syrupy feel. The carbonation is a bit big, and fizzy like drinking pop. Also a bit of heat in the back of the throat as well. Double digits for sure! 3.5

O - Quite good, but not overly complex. It's quite a fruity strong dark belgian/quad and pretty solid overall. I definitely enjoy sipping on this, but would struggle with a full 750. 3.5

This is definitely a solid brew. For as much as I dislike belgian style beers, this is something I wouldn't mind drinking again and sholland119 did well. I could easily see this being the pretty things quad, but I'm not convinced because of the smoke. I feel like I've had this before because the first whiff of the aroma just threw me off with the smoke, so I'm going with Pretty Things Quad or LA Judgment day.

Before the reveal: my buddy mentioned Victory Otto and I could definitely see this. The smoke sticks out a bit more, and it might just be a boozy dubbel. I still think it's something stronger and stick with my previous guesses.

The reveal: 2009 Lost Abbey 10 commandments.

Well, I was right, I've had this before and it is a BSDA with some plum/raisins, just forgot about this beer. This has aged pretty well and definitely tasting great right now. Thanks!

4.5/5  rDev +14.2%

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

It's murky dark reddish with a really beautiful creamy head that converged to the center to a cool looking nucleus of foam. Rad. Random soapy lacing. The nose is so boozy to me, but I can definitely pick up the rosemary too. I think they must have used a lot of raisins in this one because its juicy with dark fruit with a caramal/chocolate background, then pops into a dry yeasty finish. I didn't think my palate was that refined as of yet to pick up different levels of complexity, and it surely isn't, but this was definitely a fun beer to drink.

2.62/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Imbibed at the Lost Abbey tap room on 12/31/2011.

Looks like a freshly brewed Americano coffee with irregularly bubbled head, indicating the active Belgian yeast, which clings to the glass for dear life before it pops to nearly nothing. Left some lacing with the first few drinks. Licorice, raisins, and sweet dates make up the bulk of the aroma. There is some faint dark Belgian malt. Most of the aroma is faint with this beer. Bitter licorice and dark fruit flavors. Some date and bitter chocolate round it out. A very murky, thick beer with a dry finish.

To be honest, this didn't come across well as a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. I didn't get too many dark fruit flavors and they were weak when I identified them. The black licorice was too prevalent for this licorice hater. I had high hopes, so maybe that's why I feel let down by this brew. Maybe I'm just putting to much stock into the Belgian Strong Dark Ale description, or maybe I need to just read the label before ordering a sample. I'd like to see them make this their own by giving it a distinct flavor that separates it from the pack.

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Dark brown with Ruby highlights and a large tan foamy head with very nice retention and lacing. The aroma has raisins, caramel, rosemary, and brown sugar. I am not sure that rosemary is a good idea.

The taste has raisins, caramel, brown sugar, rosemary, and a small amount of tartness. Has a sweet flavor, but I am not liking the rosemary in this beer. Seems like a mistake to me. Honey is a listed ingredient, but I honestly can't pick it up in the taste or smell.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden. Unfortunately there is an aftertaste of rosemary. I like rosemary well enough, but don't care for it in beer. Lose the rosemary, and this beer would be much better.

2.66/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Pours looking like the usual abt/quad/bsda style, heavy on the brown, thin on the head. Aroma of alcohol, prunes and raisins.

Some brown sugar thrown in to hopefully drown out the bitter dark fruit and pungent alcohol. Helped with the bitter fruit, but not so much with the heavy sting of alcohol. Toffee seems to be represented heavily as well. I just can't get over the high bitter, high alcohol vibe of this. Its like they blended a quad and a 40 of malt liquor at some times.

I love some of the Lost Abbey stuff, but this beer is just a big disappointment to me, it didn't really do anything well, other than maybe look nice. Don't judge a book by its cover. . . the cover might be substantially better than what is inside.

10 Commandments from The Lost Abbey