10 Commandments | The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.

Added by scottoale on 05-08-2007

2.92/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Dark black, no head, no carbination

Smell - Dark fruits, malts, sugar. Plums, rasins

Taste - Bold flat and bitter. Reminded me of a wine. Plum and rasin mixed with malts. Alcohol was very well masked.

Mouthfeel - Bittered whole mouth up. After taste was thick and bold.

Drinkabilty - Split bottle with 5 people, no one wanted to finish there glass. Im not a wine fan and this really tasted like a table wine. Not for me.

2.95/5  rDev -25.1%

A: Pours a cloudy dark brown that barely lets any light through; fat 3 finger-width head, sticky lacing

S: Floral winter spices -- nutmeg, rosemary, sweet flowers

T: Wheaty, slightly funky tartness; tastes of flowers with a small hint of rosemary; not much honey, little bit of raisins; finishes with a sharp boozy bitterness.

M: Medium-light viscosity, medium carbonation, tingly on the tongue, decent helping of booziness

O: I don't know what it is but this beer just had a really weird nasty flavor to it that lingered after each sip. It was sort of a nasty Steel Reserve/Mickey's kind of boozy/chemically flavor, and it became more evident the more I drank. Don't think I'll ever buy this again, especially at the exorbitant price of $13.99 for a 750ml bottle

2.98/5  rDev -24.4%

Had a taster of this at Lost Abbey.

Dark ruby into the 4oz taster glass.

Smells tangy. Medicinal. This might not end well.

Oh god. Medicinal, sour, tarty. Something has gone wrong with this beer. I got about halfway through the taster before giving it back. I home brew and even I don't get these flavors. Someone fucked this one up.

Quite carbonated. Reminded me of a shitty tasting jagermeister.

Overall this was lucky to get a 3. I think if they had better quality control, this might be an ok beer. There is no way this phenolic mess was what it is supposed to taste like.

Poured completely flat from the bottle, a nice mahogany color with no head whatsoever. Chocolate, plums, figs, raisins and rosemary work together to offer a very pleasant nose. The flavors here are a bit disjointed, with the aforementioned dark fruits, alcohol, rosemary and brown sugar clearly evident. Unfortunately the lack of carbonation turns this into an overly sweet and cloying mess. Would like to try it again with some bubbles.

Split a corked caged 750, poured into a diver glass

A- even with a gentle pour I get an abnoxious 4 finger head that disapates slowly, it is brownish, the beer itself is a deep murky brown, heavy lacing

S- rosemary, lots of rosemary, almost soapy, hints of alcohol, light raisin, not an incredibly pleasing aroma to me

T- it tastes better then it smells, the rosemary is much more subtle, raisins, brown sugar, an almost light chocolate note , bubblegum yeastyness. Alcohol. Faint faint honey.

M- medium bodies with high/medium carbonation, almost effervescent, I feel its too heavily carbonated.

O- I did not enjoy this very much, I'm thinking maybe ingot a strange over carbonated bottle, but I don't know, the aroma was rather soapy and unpleasant as well, at least to me

Dark brown, raisin and slight herb on nose, very sweet palate.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

Poured a deep dark brown with a thin bit of dark tan head.

The smell was very heavy, thick raison, lots of yeast, and a bit of cedar.

The flavor is very strong with big burnt fig notes and a spicy yeast along with hint of dark wood and a strong bitter tartness that is almost a bit unpleasant.

The mouthfeel is heavy with a lot of warming.

Over all this one didn't really do it for me, a bit harsh and seemed a bit off.

3.13/5  rDev -20.6%

A- Beautiful deep dark brown almost black with awesesome head retention. Nice, creamy thick tan head that fades slow into a nice creamy film that floats on top. Leaves creamy walls of lace.

S- Dark fruit, raisins, and plums, honey and sweet roasted malts. Metallic notes and herbal hints. Rosemary, and earthy, grass notes. Faint hints of chocolate and sweet malts. Brown sugar, and green sour apples. Booze hints.

T- Metallic sour characteristics with sweet raisins and honey. Faint hint of chocolate, herval notes. Rosemary is in the aftertaste and a bitter metallic aftertaste lingers. Touch of booze. Grassy elements and earthy notes.

M- Medium bodied,

D- Its a defenite sipper and there are some harsh qualities and sour notes that don't seem right in the blend. Its good but I won't get this one again.

3.15/5  rDev -20.1%

Cellared for a year, it may be better fresh. This beer is an answer to an unasked question. Why put rosemary in a BSDA? I dunno to mess it up a little? To see if the brewer can make an overpowering herb work in a beer that wasn't looking for it? Oy vey. A nice looking beer with a dark mahogany complexion and spots and streaks of lace here and there. A sweet alcoholic smell that is drenched in dark fruits. Indeed there is a heavily rumed fruitcake in there. There is also a significant medicinal quality from the rosemary. It tends to accentuate the fusel aspect of the alcohol. Taste is a letdown for me. I don't care what goes into a beer just as long as it taste good. This is just so so. A good dark fruitiness with a mocha facet is overpowered by lysol. Not the spray the liquid. The rosemary just wrecks it for me. It brings out the alcohol to a solvent level. I use it often when I cook and I'm careful because of it's ability to take over. It has taken over my glass. Too bad because the feel is great. Full and chewy with a touch of cream. Drinkability is good if you like the taste. I don't have much love for this one.

I can appreciate the artsiness of the concept but the final outcome is less than stellar for me

10 Commandments from The Lost Abbey