10 Commandments | The Lost Abbey

10 Commandments10 Commandments

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

A stronger version of our Lost and Found Abbey Ale brewed to a more contemplative alcohol content. Massive in every stretch of the brewing way possible this is the sort of beer that will remind a beer drinker who considers themselves a saint that even saints stray as sinners from time to time.

Added by scottoale on 05-08-2007

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Dark brown with Ruby highlights and a large tan foamy head with very nice retention and lacing. The aroma has raisins, caramel, rosemary, and brown sugar. I am not sure that rosemary is a good idea.

The taste has raisins, caramel, brown sugar, rosemary, and a small amount of tartness. Has a sweet flavor, but I am not liking the rosemary in this beer. Seems like a mistake to me. Honey is a listed ingredient, but I honestly can't pick it up in the taste or smell.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden. Unfortunately there is an aftertaste of rosemary. I like rosemary well enough, but don't care for it in beer. Lose the rosemary, and this beer would be much better.

3.21/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours dark brown with red hues when held up to the light. An off white head rests atop the brew with good lingering and lacing.

Honey and dark fruits dominate the smell. There is a bit of an off smell in there as well which I am assuming is a result of the rosemary. The off smell reminds me of two things; the gas they used to knock me out in surgery and new plastic toys.

I can't get past the surgery gas smell as it is also present in the taste. Looking past that, there raisins, honey and the weird rosemary. The ingredients on the label pretty much sum up what is in this drink.

The mouthfeel has a coating of the mouth effect with full body. I'm going to say that the mouthfeel is the strong point of this brew, too bad the taste is funky.

I am not a fan of this beer. Outside of the rosemary funk, this is a good beer. Too bad it dominates the taste...

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.27/5  rDev -17%

750ml bottle poured into a Lost Abbey Stemmed Glass.

A - Pours a dark mahogany-red with a creamy taupe head that settles to a thick cap, leaving behind lots of sticky lacing.
S - Sweet and spicy aromas of dark caramel malt, raisins, figs, baked bread, herbal rosemary, and a touch of banana from the Belgian-style yeast.
T - Wow, I'm surprised by how "big" this beer is. Huge flavors of raisin and fig, with a heavy caramel and brown sugar malt profile and a solid dose of rosemary and Belgian yeast.
M - Not liking the mouthfeel on this at all. Big and syrupy, with fairly sharp carbonation. If this was creamier I'd like it, but the syrupy mouthfeel is odd and extremely unpleasant. Carbonated snot is a pretty unflattering description, but it works.
O - Liked the nose, liked the taste, hated the mouthfeel. Dunno if it's just this bottle, perhaps I'll seek this out on tap to confirm.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This might be the last beer we review before we leave for China. I doubt the beers we find in China are worth reviewing. But I could be wrong. I hope to find some good beers while we are there. I also hope to try some tea, as tea is not my drink of choice, but is customary with most, if not all meals in China. I also have been reading about some really nice liquors that they have there. Someone at work said I should order Sake. Um… I am going to China. Not Japan!

I have seen this beer before, but have never tried it. This is another beer from my boy Erick. We liked the Angel's Trumpet we reviewed last night so much we decided to try another beer from The Lost Abbey tonight. This beer has pretty good ratings on both BeerAdvocate and RateBeer, so I am expecting a lot. They do use Brett in the brewing process, which scares me a little. But I am getting there. Thanks, Tim!

Can anyone tell me what the 10 Commandments are? I just hope drink good beer is one of them. Cheers!

In the Glass: I can smell the sweetness from the raisins as I pour this beer. Or should I say, "As I pour this foam." I am talking straight foam. Granted, I didn't tilt the glass, but the glass filled with foam as soon as I started pouring it. Then the foam just sat there and pretty much solidified. I need a spoon. I am serious… It's like ice cream! The lace is nice and sticky, too.

Nose: I can smell the Brett, but it's not overwhelming. There is also a nice sweetness coming from the raisins and the honey they use. I wonder if the honey will be noticeable outside of just knowing they used honey in the brewing process. I would like to see that brewing process, too. Are they tossing that in at the end and how are they making sure the honey doesn't affect the consistency of the beer? I guess that is why I am not a brewmaster!

Oh, and I know this has NOTHING to do with 10 Commandments, but Four Peaks is going to start canning their Peach Ale. If you have never had the Peach Ale, you are missing out. I will be tossing a can of this in with ALL trades moving forward. When Erick was in town we took him to Four Peaks. Not sure if he had a Peach Ale, but I bet I made him try the Kilt Lifter!

Flavor: The Brett in this beer really changes my expectations for a Belgian dark strong ale. Most beers in this style are big, thick, and chewy offering a whirlwind of sweetness and complexity. I am worries this one will be highly carbonated. Let's see.

It's not overly carbonated, but the Brett changes the beer. This is not a good example of the style, but it is a really good easy to drink beer. At 10%, I would like to see what this beer tastes like in 2 or 3 years. If the bubbles mellow out, I bet the sweetness would begin to take over.

Mouthfeel: Cold, the beer is quite carbonated. It looks that way in the glass, but I was hoping for a surprise. That isn't a bad thing, but I don't like this style to be too bubbly. I did swish a sip around in my mouth a little, and the bubbles just took over. That did, however, provide me a lot more sweetness and really bring the raisin flavor forward. If you like a nice fresh raisin flavor, then you will love this beer. I bet that sweetness comes out as the beer warms up.

Aftertaste: You get a lot of the same flavors in the aftertaste, but they don't last long. I keep licking my lips for more of that sweetness I crave in a Belgian dark strong, but the finish is nothing to write home about. I do find it interesting that this beer technically started as a home brew. Oh, and props to the state of Arizona. I had no idea that Tomme went to school here. We have pretty sunsets, the Grand Canyon, and Tomme Arthur!

The beer is good, but I wouldn't buy it again. The Brett isn't what is throwing me off, either. I just had a certain level of expectations going in as this is one of my favorite styles. Drinking this makes me want to review another beer now!

3.29/5  rDev -16.5%

Appearance- Pours an opaque, dark brown with no head and no lacing.

Smell- HUGE, sweet, spicy, malty nose with notes of rosemary and licorice.

Taste- Lot of dark fruits resting on a bed of maltiness and malt sweetness. I get raisens, plums, etc. Some licorice and rosemary in there. Malt sweetness and a nice blend of spices lingers for quite some time in the aftertaste. Sweetness does get a bit cloying Very little alcohol warmth for a 9% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel- Fairly heavy body. Needed a tad more carbonation.

Drinkability- Not a great Belgian strong dark, but tasty all te same. Probably be much better after a year in the old beer cellar.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

a: Dark brown with little to no head.

s: Sweet Belgian sugar with some notes of raisins.

t: Sweet malt, toffee, raisin, caramel, and just before the finish, I catch a very subtle hint of herbs (from the rosemary I presume) and believe it or not, it works.

m: Thin body with low/no carbonation. My first experience with the dreaded LA quality control issues.

d: I like this beer, but it is almost flat which really kills the experience.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%

A: once you are able to fight the cork off with a drill (sarcasm), it pours a deep, deep amber/burgundy color with enormous head formation easily 2-3 fingers worth. Huge off-white bubbles in, dissipates very slowly.

S: huge amounts of honey crush the nostrils, I definitely get an herbal notes (which is the rosemary) and as the bottle states, raisins. The description on the bottle is spot on and each one (“honey, raisins and rosemary”) dominate the nose all of which are in very nice balance. Yeast also makes an appearance here as well.

T: I definitely pick up on the sweet honey and raisins characters. Spices create more complexity along with a very strong yeast and a moderate maltiness. Big, big, alcohol (which surprised me because it was undetectable in the nose). The ABV throws this one way off balance IMO. I feel like there is a constant struggle between the alcohol and the spices and sweet flavors.

M: extremely carbonated. Medium bodied. nothing great

O: disappointing. a unique brew. ton of honey, raisins and enormous spices which are balance nicely amongst themselves. But, the alcohol makes a rude entrance throwing this one off. If you like DBSAs, this one is worth a shot because of its uniqueness and it should be cellared for a year due to its “hotness” IMO.

3.3/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

LOOK: Dark brown/amber with beige and bubbly head.
SMELL: Raisins and dark, sweet fruits. Slight hint of sweet honey. Not much rosemary.
TASTE: Sweet almost caramelized raisins/dark fruits up front. Some honey. Finishes a dry bready/rosemary with slight alcohol burn.
FEEL: Medium with good amount of carbonation.

**MUCH BETTER as this beer warms up. WAY TOO CARBONATED when I drank this right out of the fridge.**

OVERALL: Good beer but nothing over the top. Got more complex and enjoyable as it warmed up. Would definitely recommend letting this beer sit for a few minutes after pouring it. Curious as to how this would taste after cellaring for a year or two.

3.32/5  rDev -15.7%

A - Poured with a dark body that almost appeared a deep purple...there was a one finger head that formed but it fell quickly...some lacing

S - The nose on this was very promising...lots of dark fruits...raisins, dates...some sweetness from the honey and caramel

T - The flavor on the other hand was very disappointing...the dark fruits were present big on the raisins...the dates added a nice caramel sweetness...the honey really stood out and added more sweetness...it almost came to the point of cloying...what I was turned off by was the rosemary...well what I suspect was the rosemary...it added a freshness to it but it didn't play well with the other flavors going on

M - Medium bodied...little carbonation, smooth

D - Like I said, the nose was promising but I was let down with the flavors...it had to be the rosemary because a beer with honey and raisins should be delicious

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -15.5%

2008 Vintage
Pours a solid dark brown with faint ruby brown highlights when held to light and a huge fluffy beige head that persists forever. Smells of pepper and spice with a solid dark sugary background. The flavor is sweet with sugary malt, a bit of dark fruit, lots of pungent and bitter spice, some pepper and other yeasty phenols. Medium body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet almost bitter mouthfeel. I've been sitting on this one for a while, I remember liking it a bit more when it was fresh. As is I am neither excited nor disappointed with it.

10 Commandments from The Lost Abbey