Cable Car | The Lost Abbey

#59

Ratings: 1,000 |  Reviews: 234
1.6/5  rDev -65.1%

2.2/5  rDev -52%

2010 vintage. Chilled bottle into a glass. Got a sample at the T23 party thanks to some generous BAs. From notes.

A: Pours a cloudy, pale straw body; it is well carbonated and maintains a solid cap.

S: Sulfurous eggs. This is comically bad. It is actually an offensive odor; there is no way I am going to give this a higher score in the smell department.

T: Vinegar, tart lemon, mild hay, oak. I pick up some tropical fruit as well. This is worlds better than the nose. A bit on the sweet side, and I'd like to see this funkier instead of being a straight sour, but it's still good.

M: Well-carbonated, effervescent. Goes down quite well. Foamy in the finish.

D: $40 for this beer is idiotic. If it were outstanding, I might consider paying it; but for a beer that is a misfire out of the gate and needs time to improve (if it even does), no.

2.75/5  rDev -40%

3.45/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From notes. Thanks alcstradamus for the chance to try this one.

Colored somewhere between light brown and yellow, murky, but possibly due to transportation of the beer. Average sized head, off white, average retention although the successive pours were small to judge the retention.
Aroma is funky, leathery, cheesy, with some fruity and acidic notes as well as a buttery hint. Nice, not spectacular. Oak notes are modest.
Light to medium bodied, it again suffers from under carbonation. It is not flat like some of their other offerings, but it would be significantly better had a bit more carbonation been present.
Flavor is fruity, and funky; nice but again well short of spectacular. Dry for most of it, but not significantly sour/puckering/tart. It definitely lacks in that department. Yeasty notes are present as well.
This is a good, pleasant beer, but by no means worth the hype, or the price tag.
I was very glad and thankful for the opportunity, but solidifies my poor overall impression of Lost Abbey.

3.47/5  rDev -24.2%

Cable car Lost Abbey, 7.0% wild ale

A: Light pilsner color, mellow gold, a refined golden ambiance

S: strong sour geuze smell, crushed sweettarts and a melted fruitloops wafting

T: This beer is intimidating at first, strong smells and notes, but ultimately this is a calf that you can wrangle not without oppression. It is akin to mutton busting, something that seems difficult until you tackle the sheep, and pull its majestic fur to the ground. At its core, it is temptation with milder souring, lighter drying effects, less tanins in the grape aftertaste, and finally champagne crisp apple notes in the finish. Nothing you can't handle but an exceptional balance. It is the lovechild of gueuze and champagnes of the mild brut variety.

M: Fantastic, crisp and light, the entire experience has lemon zest and feels like a Hootie and the Blowfish Album. You can dispense this pellmell and no one will look askance. If not for the oppressive Toronado's standards, this could be something everyone could enjoy, if not for proprietary despotism. Not worth bootlegging, not worth epic trades. Just really good, but if you want to tread this road, there are more refined paths as smoothe as marble for your wanting cart.

D: Again, fantastic but competing in a league of legends. I would drink this all day, fixing my carburator, prepartying for the charity gala, snuff film exposition, you know, guy stuff. I find myself in a love hate resolution with this beer because I love what it is but I hate the air surrounding it. It feels like seeing a person with a TOOL shirt on. you love the syncopated rhythms and complex melodies, but you dislike the fanbase in general. The faux highbrow ruins what would be a fantastic experience.

Narrative: Sir Fredrick Willingsly is repossessing your car. You can't hate him for doing his job, but, without a 1998 civic DX, these pizzas arent going to deliver themselves. You hate him, with his cliche antagonistic handlebar moustache and fogged up monocle. However, his wry quips relating to Howards' End and class struggle made it all the sweeter. "And thence upon from which one has had, none shall take without" he declares with a cloud of aplomb that almost makes you lighthearted in his usurpation of your chief economic asset. He is akin to the Mr. peanut of recurring vengeance. your pocket despises him, yet you respect him for his casuistic enforcement of the law. "God speed Willingsly, dont scratch my sick mugen exhaust on the dip. Godspeed."

3.47/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2010 vintage counter-pressure 15oz bottle from a keg--thanks Sean!
Pours a very hazy, dark yellow with a tiny head. On the nose I get peach, grape skin, vanilla and some oak. Initially, the taste is juicy midway through then drops off to a very tart finish. I also pick up tangerine, orange, and lemon zest. This one is very drinkable with little notice to 7% abv.
Despite the enjoyable tartness and light fruit flavors I was underwhelmed by this. I’ve heard the bottles taste better however so I’m looking forward to trying it another time.

3.58/5  rDev -21.8%

3.58/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Thanks to the Tornado Seattle for opening this brew during a recent BA bottle share they hosted. Bright flavors and a crisp mouthfeel were the strong suits of this tasty treat. Maybe I'll splurge on a bottle of my own sometime!

3.64/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev -19.7%

2009 Vintage poured into a snifter. Shared this bottle at Toronado SF.

A- Pours a golden yellow wheat color. Had a 1 finger white head and good amounts lacing that chilled with us throughout the tasting.

S- Has a strong funky lemon scent. I'm not sure this is what it's supposed to smell like due to the fact that I drink darker brews.

T- Upon first sip, this BadBoy was sour. Made me wanna break some boards Bruce Lee Style. The sourness became more bearable the more I sipped and the more the beer warmed.

M- Medium bodied and smooth with the perfect amount of carbonation.

O- This reminds me alot like a shocktart. Makes your face pucker but you go back for more. The more I drink this, the better it taste. To me, this is definitely not worth the $40 pricetag. I'm glad to say I tried it but I won't be trying this again anytime soon.

3.7/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a lightly hazy amber-brown color, with a good, white head. Funky and tart on the nose, lemon, citrus and aged leather. On the palate, a good sourness, with apples, citrus puckering wine. This one was tart and dry, with a prickly carbonation. Didn't think I'd have the opportunity to try this one, but I did, and I'm glad, though I have no intention of ever tracking a bottle down.

3.7/5  rDev -19.2%

3.75/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey