Cable Car | The Lost Abbey

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by stephendr on 08-12-2007

Reviews: 222 | Ratings: 920
4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Golden and cloudy, with a bit of head that fades to a thin whispy layer. Smells pretty sour, without too much barnyard funk, and with a little peach and green apple. Taste is very sour at the start, but fades to a complex and fruity finish. Carbonation is well balanced and does not detract from the beer, and it goes down smoothly. I'm lucky to have tried this after never really thinking I'd even see one, and I wish there were a chance of me tasting it again.

4.72/5  rDev +5.1%

Batch 1 sampled 11/2/09. Not hype. One of the best, if not the best, sour beers I have ever had. If this was a gueuze it would be #1 for the style. People like to poo-poo lost abbey for largely personal reasons, but batch 1 isn't even near its peak in my book.

Appearance: Nice pour, two inch cream head, decent lacing. Bit of chill haze. The beer itself is a straw hazy amber with a touch of copper.

Smell: Very pleasant funky, sour aromas. Perfectly funky actually. Much more funky than any other Lost Abbey beer, and by far the best one. Wood, leather, earth, mushrooms, farmhouse cheese, and lemon. Very small bit of vinegar. Incredibly complex.

Taste: This and Rick James are the gold standards of funk. It does not get any better. Sour, but not overwhelmingly so. Lemon, vinegar, and a nice bit of oak and funky farmhouse cheese, cardamom, cloves, green apples, pears, bit of peach. If only I could drink this every day. I took the sediment on the second pour, it was opaque, different, and even more enjoyable. Incredibly complex beer. It is more mellow than you expect, but after a few sips you realize that is what makes it perfect. This isn't an attempt to make the funkiest beer, or the most sour beer, it is an attempt to make the best funky sour beer.

Mouthfeel: Nice medium-full body. Incredibly smooth, ABV is not noticeable.

Drinkability: Off the charts. Why is the bottle empty?

I hate to repeat myself, but this is the perfect execution of funk. More than any other beer, but it is a higher quality funk as well, if that makes any sense. Very approachable and tasty. This batch seems to be doing quite well, might be the best of the three. As I drink it all I can think is "this is how a beer should taste."

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%

Anyone that knows me knows that I've been trying extraordinarily hard to get a bottle of this. And anyone that has ever let it known that they've had a bottle knows this as well. I've offered well over $100 worth of very rare beers, many brewery only release and plenty with less than 1000 bottles made.

I've been drinking beers with Shane(beachbum1975) for the past 8-10months or so. We both trade way more than we should. We've always 'unspokenly' tried to one up one another. Well that mother fucker one upped me to end all one ups... but that doesn't mean I won't stop trying :)

This bottle was a belated Christmas gift and presented to Chris(Yetiman420), Steve(FtownThrowDown), and Me(and of course Shane), as a blind tasting for my 500th review. That bastard also just traded for a bottle of the beer I was getting him for a belated Christmas gift. What a D-Bag!

I honestly cannot express my thanks and gratitude, Shane. This was my Holy Grail beer and now my Lost Abbey bottle collection is finally complete, and what's a better way to do it than with a Tomme Arthur signed bottle of Cable Car! :D

750ml corked and caged brown bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Shared with 3 great BAs.

A: Pours a very murky under ripened grapefruit peel color. A decent sized head forms and holds for a minute or so before falling to a few bubbles. Some spotty lacing throughout.

S: Loads of tart fruits. Lemon, orange, grapefruit, apricot, pineapple, cherries. Some astringent acids from the fruits adds to the tart and sour aromas. Funk is minimal but still lightly present with a touch of wet hay and maybe some light cider vinegar notes.

T/M: The tart and sour fruits are spot on to the nose. Lemon, pineapple, orange are more dominant with cherries and apricot or peach playing more in the back. Really a citrus explosion that is odd in that I normally experience this with loads of bitterness, which this obviously doesn't have. Funkiness is still at a minimum but still retains the wet hay and light cidery notes. I don't think it'd hurt to have some more funk. Tartness really starts to build toward puckering as it quickly warms. Some rustic woody and leathery notes form the barrels. Nice light to medium light body with perfect carbonation. Great dry finish that isn't too tart or abrasive.

D: Extraordinarily drinkable. I could drink this all day every day. The tartness and sourness doesn't linger too strong or long. Very good. Yet again, many thanks to you, Shane. You really made my day and you better watch your back when it's your turn to be given a milestone beer! And a million thanks to the one that traded this to Shane ;)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Drank at Toronado on 7/22. This has been on my wants list for year and finally got out to SF, didn't expect for bottles to be on sale but splurged. Overpriced at $60 but great beer and glad I had the opportunity to try it. Golden color with minimal head and a bit of haze. Aroma was less intense than expected, vinegar and white wine, decent funk. Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Taste is white wine, minimal funk, lemons and bread. Didn't get much oak. Overall great beer, steep price point but would try again if it was $25 or under.

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 ml cork and cage bottle at Toronado during San Francisco Beer at the Russian River tap take over. Vinnie Cilurzo and Tomme Arthur were hanging out having a beer.

This beer is really a treat. Its just the perfect American take on a classic Belgian Stye. It tasted like sour cherry lemonade. Hints of barnyard funk that were buried under the strong lemon tartness mixed with the perfect hint of cherry sourness. The oak provided an unbelievable barrel character that tied the beer together. It's truly a special beer

4.74/5  rDev +5.6%

From 04/30/11 notes. Got to try this one at Dark Lord Day thanks to Sean9689; huge thanks Sean, this was one of my biggest Wants! 2010 vintage from a swing top bottle.

a - Pours a hazy yellow color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour lemons, other sour fruits, oak, earthy notes. Very nice and sour, though not overally tart. Pretty amazing.

t - Tastes of tart lemon, sour citrus, tart fruits, oak, earthy, grassy notes, and a very light mustiness. Again, absoutely amazing. Not the sourest beer I've ever had, but one of the more enjoyable sour beers.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation.

o - Overall one of the best sours I've had; I'm really glad it actually lived up to my expectations. Had a lot of great beers at DLD and this one was probably my favorite. Lots of sour and tart lemons and while not overly sour, it's very refreshing and enjoyable. Would jump at the chance to by a bottle of this one when and if I make it out to Toronado.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

2009 Vintage 750mL Bottled poured into a Tulip at Toronado San Diego
Reviewed from Notes

This beer pours a fantastic bright hazy yellow/golden/orange color with a fluffy white head. This is a beautiful looking beer. Leaves minimal lacing. The aroma is very fruit forward being dominated by peaches, apricot, green apple, and citrus (lemon). This beer is incredibly aromatic. The smell just explodes out of this beer. The taste is very dry and tart and follows the smell. Peaches and apricots are present, and the tart sourness very much enhances the flavor. The taste gets better with every sip. This beer goes down almost too easy, it was gone long before I was ready to let it go. The body is light and has a nice amount of carbonation.

Overall this is a fantastic sour. Each sip is more enjoyable all the way to the end of the bottle. Very aromatic and fruity, but not sweet. Drinking amazingly right now. The sour interacts perfectly with the fruity taste.

4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

A huge thanks to Masterski for getting this for me and sending it along as a great surprise in a recent package. What a treat.

Poured into my tulip glass and a thin wispy bright white head forms. Does recede fairly quickly. The beer is a very bright gold/brass color. Excellent clarity. Some light spotty lacing.

Aroma is fantastic. Bright, some acidic notes, apple comes to mind. Perhaps a touch of lemon.

With the first sip I get very excited as my favorite flavor component of the roasted nuts is present. The tartness is present but with soft round edges. I’d be lying if I didn’t say I thought of Sweet Tart candies. That’s actually a good thing. The bread flavors just below the surface are fantastic. A moment of nectarine and tangerine here. Nice fruit notes. Lot’s going on. There is a salty quality to this that I didn’t expect. Seems to mix well with the nuttiness and bread like qualities. Green apple pops up now and again.

Very delicate body and a wonderful refreshing mouth feel.

This is truly a treat to drink. Believe the hype. Perhaps made even better as it’s been a while since I’ve had a sour. Just fantastic.

Thanks Alex.

4.76/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a SP Stem. Thanks Shea for busting this out. CC '13.

A - Cloudy light straw yellow pour with a 1 finger white foam head that slowly recedes back into the glass.

S - Lemony citrus zest here, slightly reminds me of DDG on the nose here. White wine grapes. The Lemony citrus and grapes smells are the most prevalent.

T - Taste follows the nose here with loads of lemony citrus zesty notes followed by the white grape tastes as well as notes from the oak barrels.

M - Crisp, light, medium bodied and to the point, clean.

O - This reminded me a lot of DDG. If I had to choose between the two, considering the difficulty of obtaining CC, I would have to go with DDG. They are both on par in terms of taste, but the difficulty pushes me away.

4.76/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

2014 Vintage at Toronado San Diego!
Thanks to Nate for the excellent service!

Traveled far and wide to finally try this beauty! Definitely lived up to the hype. Pours a gorgeous gold/orange haze color. The aroma has some nice funk to it, and fresh peaches, taste was nice juicy peaches, citrus, tart, nice acidity and barnyard funk. Very drinkable, could easily down the entire bottle on my own. Just a wonderful treat!

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

A 750 mL corked and caged bottle (Batch 1) graciously shared by the one and only spacecoyote.

A: The ale is a hazy golden color, a weizen-like melange of sediment and goldenrod. The head held up well through several glasses.

S: The aroma is funky, but not as tart as I expected. A wide array of fruits pop up throughout and add a varied sweetness to the ale.

T: Man oh man! I was expecting the utmost in tartness, the end-all be-all of face pucker, so I was mildly surprised by a reserved tartness that strikes up front and supports the the fruitiness throughout. After the mild tartness, the fruits make themselves known. Apricot, green apple and lots of grapefruit mark the fruitiness. The grapefruit is most memorable, as it is not hop-driven. The finish shows off the flavor, a tart sweetness that really bites at the taste buds. The mix of flavors is incredible, a magnum opus.

M: The mild tartness is refreshing, not so strong that you can't handle repeat sips. The tart fruit flavors are divine.

D: I almost passed out when Carl pulled this one out of his cooler. It is easily one of the most drinkable sour ales that you'll come across.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Notes from tasting the 2007, 2009 and 2010 vintages last weekend. Thanks again Mark! Poured into an Ommegang flute.

2007 bottle:

A - bright, crisp golden body with a quarter-inch of white head on top. Pretty decent lacing after a small swirl.

S - tons of funk, citrus and oak. Really nice nose on this one. Grass, maybe some horse blanket action, oranges and a light hint of cherry or raspberry perhaps?

T - wow, really sour and full of oak and citrus. This is my first time trying the CCs and I can see where their hype comes from. Very tart and dry with a puckering finish, yet the fruit nuances are still there.

M - sour, tart, puckering and dry. Awesome!

O - this beer is something else. Each vintage was different and special in its own way, but I'd say the '07 or '09 were the tops. I'm honestly surprised to see how well these are holding up and think they could go shoulder to shoulder with any of the Loons or 3F out there.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

A - Poured a slightly hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy crisp white head atop. The head faded slowly to a ring around the glass leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - The aroma is an inviting mix of sour and tart white grape and other fruit flavors. There is also some oak and vanilla as well as a nice mix of funkiness. This is one of the best smelling beers I have ever had period.

T - The beer starts off with a great mix of sour and tart white grapeish flavor. It is quite strong but not too overpowering. The oak flavor jumps in right after and starts to mellow things out a bit. By the middle of the beer, everything feels much more balanced with some vanilla and good funkiness coming through. The finish is bit again on the sour and tart with some good funkiness that linger for a while.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. The beer felt very smooth with a great mix of sour and tart throughout.

D - Very drinkable. The sour and tart flavors are outstandingly balanced from start to end here. It was really a pleasure to drink this beer, regardless of the price since I felt it was really that good.

4.77/5  rDev +6.2%

Huge thanks to Jwolfie70 for his incredible generosity over the weekend. Had a chance to sample this along with some other rare brews, as he cracked open his cellar (it took some cracking) to break out some of his Cable Car, Cuvee de Tomme, and other delicacies.

Pours a hazy golden yellow, maybe a hint (just a hint) of orange in there. Given the alcohol content, surprisingly long lasting white foamy head.

A funky beer, but not an overly sour one (and we had some true sours over the weekend). Oak-y, musty yeastiness, a ton of overlapping citrus and unripe fruit flavors, and overlaying it all is that funky funk, which Jwolfie70 likened to "horse manure, but in a good way." Not the description I would use, but I'll add it here.

Not the be-all and end-all of beers, but something truly unique and all-too-rare. Could drink all day. A wonderful carbonation level really lightened it up.

**Tried batch two of this. Seemed like more funk/oak, less complexity. I think the first batch was much better, and given that Tomme informed me (IIRC) that the original recipe was not retained, I can't help but think the second batch was an approximation.

4.78/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2014 bottle shared in an American Wild Ale blind-tasting with two others.

I've heard a lot of comments that Cable Car is good but isn't worth what it takes to land. I disagree. It truly lived up to the hype, and was a clear winner and standout in the blind-tasting.

It's slightly hazy with a big body/mouthfeel and perfect carbonation. Loads of tangerines and mandarin oranges on the nose and taste. A nice lively and yet soft feel. Perfect acidity - not overly sour and balances well with the funk, which it had plenty of.

This is certainly a world-class beer, and I'm really happy I opened it rather than "cellaring it to death". If you have the opportunity to trade for one or try it, I recommend you do.

4.79/5  rDev +6.7%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. 2009 vintage. Thanks to Dunt for bringing this out to the whale tasting.

Appearance: This has a nice hazy golden yellow color with a great compressed creamy off-white head.

Smell: The aroma is sour and funky. Lemon rind, peach, apricot, and grapefruit provide the fruity tartness, with a lot of great barnyard funk and hay.

Taste: Light pale malt flavor, and a flood of fruity sour notes. Apricot, peach, lemon zest, and some grapefruit toward the end. Lots of lactic sourness, a bit of oak, and some vinegar create a full sour flavor.

Mouthfeel: This is tart and quite acidic. Medium body with crisp carbonation. Lactic and vingeary.

Overall: The flavor is great and sour throughout, and each flavor note is so robust, I really enjoyed this beer.

4.8/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer comes in a hazy bright straw yellow.

The aroma has funky hay, apricot, dried peach, and a decent tartness.

The flavor follows of tart lemons, stone fruit and nectarine, onto a medium minus malt backbone with a medium hay funk. There's a drying and tart quality in the back.

This is up there with the best gueuze I've had. It definitely holds back on the funk unlike Drie Fonteinen and Cantillon, but has a wonderful complexities and restraint.

4.81/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Felt this one needed a full review. Acquired my bottle from a friend who was in the right place at the right time. A big thanks to her for scoring me a 2013 vintage of this. This beer poured out as a hazy orange gold color with a foamy white head on top. Lots of bubbles rising to the top and collecting at the surface to hold a strong retention. Decent lacing streaks down the glass with every sip. The smell of the beer is potent, it's pretty funky and rank. Basically it stinks but it's awesome for the style, it's exactly how I would expect it to smell. The taste of the beer has a sharp tartness up front which then settles into a really nice sweet grainy wheat like finish. This beer is very bold yet delicate in flavor, it's hard to explain. The mouthfeel is light bodied with a solid carbonation. The beer is very drinkable. Overall this is definitely something special and I believe it's worth seeking out at least once. I'd love to drink it again one day but I don't want to drop the money on it like I did for this one.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Much thanks to Phatz for sharing this rarity of a gem.

Appears a hazy, light gold with a small white head that slowly fades into a mild cap. Lacing is scattered all over the glass like tiger stripes. Streams of CO2 quickly rise to the top.
Smell is of caramel, candy sugar, vanilla, barnyard, funky must, cinnamon, and cardamom, with a touch of apple.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas that meld together in a lemony zest, citrusy, sweet, funky, and tart blend that tantalizes the tastebuds into craving this different but enticing brew.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, chewy, full of candy orange, funk, with a dryness covering the palate with citrusy zest.

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

10 bottle shared at the LCBS 10. Golden yellow with pungent peach and horse blanket aromas. This is a sour trolly with sour peach, tart lemon, funk, and brett notes. Can’t wait to revisit this at Toronado...
Update, after flying to San Francisco and bellying up to the bar at Toronado with a bottle of '09 Cable Car; I realized that I might have just hit the apex in my pursuit of sour/wild ales!!!

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

Review # 250 - Batch # 2 (Gold "08" in bottom left corner of cable car drawing).

Check this: I shared this one DURING A LEVEL 3 SNOW EMERGENCY in Cincinnati with yetiman420, pwoods and ftownthrowdown. If this wasn't beer advocacy in its' finest moment, I don't know what is!!!

(Also, I forced all my BA buddies to review this beer, also!)

750ml brown bottle corked and caged. Cork removal was graceful... The cork had just the right amount of pressure to make a muted pop as I opened it. My notes were taken on the fly during a brief tasting in Yetiman420's FANTASTIC beer cellar/museum! Thanks, again for hosting!!!

Pours a murky, yet bright golden with orange hues. Great, spotty lacing and a white head with small, highly compacted bubbles. Average head retention leaving a nice 1/8 inch skimming of foam as I drank.

The nose of this one was an interesting and complex mix of vinegar funk up front, followed by moderately sour cherries and hints of green, tart apples.

Following the nose, the taste was a mellow blending of lemon tart, ripe green apples, light assorted citrus, sour cherries finishing with a light vinegar twang/funk. Light bodied and full flavored with ample carbonation throughout. Flavor doesn't linger long, leaving a slightly sour and dry, almost refreshing finish. Pleasantly sour (not a sour bomb like Isabelle was)...

Though my tasting history of American Wild Ales is limited, this was the smoothest and most approachable wild ale I've had so far...

Oh, and for the fella that hooked up me, pwoods, Ftownthrowdown and yetiman420 - THANK YOU (you know who you are!)!!! You can't get a much better gift for a BA friend's review milestone...

4.82/5  rDev +7.3%

2009 version, at Toronado, so glad to finally try it. The first pour was a little hazy and light golden colored, but each successive pour was a little darker and murkier. Judging by aroma and taste, this is exactly what an American wild ale should taste like, at least in my humble opinion. Musty sour barnyard funk, some lemon, this is really not that far from some of the best gueuze I've had in Belgium. Lost Abbey may have some bad press due to carbonation issues on high gravity ales, but they absolutely have wild ales by the balls. The sour bite never infringes on my enjoyment, maybe because it's expertly crafted, or maybe because of severe acclimation to the style. It truly sucks to like something so much when you know you can't easily get it. This will always be on my WANTs list. At least there's Cantillon to hold me over...

4.84/5  rDev +7.8%

2009 vintage bottle at Toronado SD on 6/30. Review from notes.

a - Hazy deep golden, half inch white head with decent retention and lacing

s - Big lemon and apricot notes mixed with a heavy dose dirty gym socks, best funkiness i've had from an American sour

t - Big sour lemon, apricot and peach burst up front, b.o. funk on the midpalate along with more tart citrus, finish is a heavy lingering lemon and peach tartness with lighter barnyard funk, alcohol is hardly noticeable, really incredible stuff

m - Medium bodied with higher carbonation, very sprtzy on the palate, very dry finish, very good for the style

d - The complexity and absence of alcohol tastes make this stuff incredibly drinkable, intense but not wearing on the palate either, the price tag and rarity are the only things working against it

This one lived up to the hype for me.  This is probably the second best American sour that I've had after RR Deviation, and slightly ahead of RR Beatification.  Well done, Tomme!

4.85/5  rDev +8%

Bottle shared very generously by Shane. Enjoyed with the company of Shane, Chris and Patrick. What an evening!
Pours a very hazy, murky, light gold in color. There's a nice sheen of froth sitting atop the beer. It stays throughout the entirety and leaves webby lacing that falls as the level of beer recedes in your glass.
Smell is sour, light fruit and has many wine-like qualities. Plenty of oak and tannins appear throughout. Taste is sour, but not lip puckering sour. Very balanced and damn near perfect if not perfect. Unlike many sours that are unbalanced and so puckering that your mouth implodes, this one is amazingly balanced and dangerously drinkable. You really have to hold back drinking this beer. The quandry of thoroughly indulging in the beer and knowing in the back of your mind that these may be the last sips of this fabulous beer you ever have.
I could drink this beer all day long and never tire of it. One of the rare beers that truly lives up to and exceeds the hype. Which speaks for itself.
Big thanks again to Shane for sharing. A truly one of a kind beer, with just as amazing company and atmosphere.

Cheers!

4.85/5  rDev +8%

From 750mL bottle to stemmed wine glass at Toronado San Diego on 11/1/11. What better way to celebrate my 30th birthday then with my #1 want.

Vintage 2010

A: Like fine champagne, it's a beautiful pale 14k gold. A gentle pour yields a white 1.25 head that fizzes down to nil within moments. A surprising amount of thin, white lacing rims the glass.

S: Mild brett, which doesn't overwhelm the beer. Hints of honey, ripe green apples, medium char, a touch of white grape and lemon rind. Spectacular.

T: Unlike any Wild Ale I've had, as the balance here is unmatched. The fore comes across like a Brut Cava. As it hits the mid, the brett sneaks up and washes over the palate. And it's at this point where the beer really shows it's finesse. This is where most brett brews simply can't overcome the wild yeast. But Cable Car is unlike those said ales. Instead, the brett passes the mid and rounds into a crisp, dry finish that showcases the lightly toasted, charry oak. Without question, this is one of the top five beers I've tasted.

M: Superb. It's not too light as many in-style can be. Rather, it's creamy and textured, yet it packs a really bubbly and lively layer of carbonation.

O: Lost Abbey's Cable Car comes about as close to perfect as any brew I've ever encountered. It does everything right, with not only ease, but a deft touch. Absolutely worthy of the epic hype and them some. This brewing masterpiece easily receives my highest recommendation. Happy 30th to me!

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey