Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Added by stephendr on 08-12-2007

#59

Ratings: 1,000 |  Reviews: 234
4.99/5  rDev +9%

Had at Toronado SF, worth every penny. This was just silly good. The perfect amount of tartness that I am looking for in tis style of beer. Should have bought another bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

2010 Vintage. At Toronado of course.

Murky golden body with a bone white frothy head that lingers and leaves a nice lacing.

Tons of oak aromas. Pleasant barn yard sourness. Not over done at all. Lemon and some faint fruit aromas.

Very good sourness, tart but not abusive in any way. Tons of buttery oak. Great earthiness with grass tones.

This is a great sour. So well done. I understand the hype on this beer.

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

I have now had this three different times and it is definitely time to review it, I have had it on tap at Toronado in San Francisco back in August, bottle of batch two shared at a tasting a few months back, and recently 750 ml bottles of batch one and two side by side courtesy of Ian, this review is a mixture of both of those bottles which I had last week, reviewed from notes, each were poured into a tulip glass

A-Golden orange color with some highlights, thin 1/2 inch very bubbly white head, good retention for a sour and the head does not go away for about five minutes, very nice wine-like legs, some lacing at the top of the glass
S-Lemons, peaches, grassy accents, grapefruit, earthiness, other citrus, strawberries, funkiness, brett, pineapple, green apples, leather, oak, grains, herbs, light peaches, cherries, limes, and tons of tropical fruits, one of the best smelling beers of all time
T-Flavor has so many different fruits that it just sends your palate on a joy ride, starts off tart and ends that same way, has a huge underlying citrus backbone, love the grainy and rustic feel in the middle with that nice funk to go along with the sourness, that is what really separates this beer from the rest of the field, it does not blow you away with crazy amounts of tart, instead it is more balanced while still maintaining a great sour feel, never overpowers you, gets more complex as it warms and the granny smith apple flavor become awesome by the end, can go on and on about this beer's taste but hopefully this gives people a better idea of what to expect
M-Lively carbonation, medium bodied, zesty, sour, tart, citrusy, and fruity mouthfeel, taste lingers a long time but you never want it to go away
D-I could drink tons of this and I have, had three glasses when at Toronado, it is amazing because you cannot taste any alcohol and it is no lightweight at seven percent, very light on the stomach even though it is pretty acidic, this stuff is very refreshing and taste good both chilled and warm

Rating #1,300, I will admit that I have enjoyed the first batch a lot more than the second, it was more aggressively sour while the other batch was more subtle and mild, still mouth puckering though, I wish this brew was not only available at one place in the world because I would drink it all the time if that was not the case, this is worth all the hype indeed, this is truly one of the best sours I have ever had and probably will ever have, hopefully Tomme brews this for Toronado in the upcoming years because it is well worth the seven hour drive up to San Francisco to buy some, this brew is a masterpiece, cannot recommend this enough

4.97/5  rDev +8.5%

2009 Bottle at Toronado SF.

Beautiful, glowing golden beer with a flawless nose, taste, and mouthfeel. An absolute perfect sour that I recommend trying as soon as possible. It's improved since I had it when new, but I struggle to imagine it getting any better with more time, mainly because I can't imagine any sour, and maybe any beer, tasting better than this.

I've never had anything perfect. But this was.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

I actually thought this one met the hype. Crazy complex, well done beer. Hazy, light, very aromatic and the aftertaste kept going in a good way. This was even a 2014 and prob gets better with age. I had this side by side with 2013 DDG which was also top notch for me this beer was a tad more enjoyable. I am rating this however with price not in mind. When I had this next to a 375 ml CD14 it was tough to justify how much I gave up for it. No regrets definitely nice to have once. Hard to think any blond sour ale could be better.

4.95/5  rDev +8.1%

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Big thanks go out to FooFaa for busting this out at a recent tasting. I've wanted to try this beer for a very long time so I was really psyched to try it. Thanks a bunch Dan!

Pours a dark golden ripe banana color that is slightly murky with a one finger off-white head that quickly fades into a lasting ring. There is very minimal lacing, only small spots here and there.

Very funky aroma with some nice barnyard, horseblankety goodness. Lots of crisp golden fruits, apple, pear, grape, etc and a nice dusty earthy oak character. Just the smell of this beer made my mouth water. I literally sniffed my glass for several minutes before even taking a sip.

This beer has a perfect balance of intense puckering tart barnyard funk, horseblanket notes, slightly lactic and acidic but not too much so. Tart and sour intensity up front that settles into some beautiful light crisp golden fruit notes. Hints of apple, pear, grapefruit, light grape followed by more funky brett oaky sourness which lingers into the amazing mouthwatering finish. Very dry yet sweet and crisp with an amazing crisp dry tart puckering finish.

This is an amazing beer that for me truly lived up to the hype. It is just a perfect blend of tart/puckering sourness, crisp delicious fruit notes and a dry sweet yet tart delectable finish. This beer tasted better with each sip and my mouth was literally watering in anticipation of each sip. This is one of the most complex, flavorful sours I've ever had and I cannot recommend it any higher. I only wish I had more.

4.94/5  rDev +7.9%

Many thanks to Wespatrick for a sample of a brew that will always stand out in my mind as one of the best. 2007 vintage.

Sunshine through the fog, a languid yellow/orange liquid that's foggy, yet light. The cloud-puffs on top linger for a moment or two, then drop away.
We've been running back and forth in the back yard, we children, pretending to attempt to catch the fog, though we know in our hearts that we have already arrived. So what can you say of the aromas? Immense lemon-citrus, a minor funk note overridden by the sheer tartness, but there's also a clean, tearful metallic rainwater note that simply makes one imagine what the angels must be taking in as they float along through the clouds in all of those old paintings...
And the flavour does not disappoint whatsoever, a mouthfeel that is clean, light, dry and bubbly, melding perfectly through the wash of flavours that are simply heavenly, the immense tartness and sour that is somehow still very, very approachable and very drinkable. The citrus notes still dominate, there's a flash of sweetness on the palate and just a touch of an old barnyard, along with the dense rainwater fog that we breathe in as we run, huffing and puffing and dreaming of heaven.
We'll continue to try to catch it, catch the fog, but we will never understand what it will be like until we're there, gleaming white robes, the airy, tearful metallic tartness that reminds of sunny fog, rainy sunshine, the most beautiful days on earth.

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey