Cable Car | The Lost Abbey

Added by stephendr on 08-12-2007

#59

Ratings: 1,000 |  Reviews: 234
4.52/5  rDev -1.3%

This was the 2009 vintage on tap @ the Toronado (San Diego, CA) on 11/11/09. Special tapping of the '08 and '09 during San Diego Beer Week. This was a pretty generous 8 oz pour (especially compared to what is looked like some people got of this) served in a tulip glass.

Pours a hazy rosy copper, with a thin covering of brite-white foam. Retains mostly with some froth around the edges, leaving a moderate smattering of lacing behind. Nice look here. The aroma is sharp in the nose with fruity citrus, that has a touch of acidity to it. Sugary and doughy sweetness fills out the middle portion of this, while I'm getting a good bit of slick woody barrel notes on the backend. Mostly though, this is all about that vibrant smelling fruity tartness. I could stick my nose in this all day.

The taste is straight up bright feeling citric tartness, with a touch of vinegar on the edges, but this never gets souring at any point during the glass. That same mix of sugar and bread from thh aroma gives off a cookie dough vibe, that when mixed with the citrus, has that same fantastic SweeTart character that I'm finding more and more in some of these top-grade Wild Ales. For me though, the backend of the profile on this is what makes it. Vivacious citrus notes of apricot, grapefruit, and lemon rind, that blend into a dry lingering oakiness which hangs on the tongue. Just a lovely, lovely, finish here. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with just a beautiful feeling mellow creaminess to it that runs the whole way through the swallow. Some slippery woody slickness runs underneath but the carbonation that runs on top of it is just some of the most smooth and easy that I've felt in quite some time. It's not wonder that I'm rapidly losing liquid as I review this.

I had the opportunity to try some of the '08 next to this and I must say that I think I prefer this fresh, as the citrus is more pronounced and the funk hadn't yet started to overtake it. That said, this stuff is the real deal, and I feel very fortuitous to have been able to try this on draft. I think that there might certainly be some comparable Wilds out there that are a bit easier to get but by no mean pass this up if you get a chance to try it.

4.58/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Shared by Richard - big thanks. 600th review.
2008 vintage, C&C 750ml bottle.

A: Pours a cloudy straw yellow under a 1/2-inch thick white head which fades quickly to the rim leaving a few spots of lace.

S: Puckering lemony zest and tannic oak with some vinous notes. Slightly dusty antique age.

T: Follows nose with bright tannins and citrus zest, vinous, must/funk, mellow barnyard bite.

M: Moderate body and semi-medium carbonation. Finishes zesty, tart, and tannic.

O: Such a treat and what a surprise. Amazed this is holding up so well. A wonderful wild ale. Only minor flaw is the lack of complexity.

4.96/5  rDev +8.3%

4.8/5  rDev +4.8%

4.25/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden body with a white, wispy head.

Smell: A funk-riddled yeasty, fruity, tart-smelling aroma of apricots, citrus, and peaches. Hint of oak.

Taste: Faint malt flavor with a touch of dough and a brief sweetness with a follow-through of the fruits lurking in the aroma. Bright acidity. Musty, earthy yeast character. Faint oakiness. Dry, tart finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Lively carbonation.

Drinkability: A very fine beer. I'm quite pleased I had the chance to try this one.

4.49/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Review from notes. Huge thanks to Jay for opening this bottle up!

A: Pours a very bright golden color, very clear. No head formation or lacing, but carbonation bubbles release from the bottom of the glass.

S: Very nice aroma, lots of citrus fruits, some apricot, peach, and green apple. A sharp sour/acetic aroma, very inviting.

T: Fantastic flavor profile, has held up nicely over the years. A great acetic sourness, very puckering. Vibrant lemon, apple, peach, and apricot.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. A great level of sourness.

O: A fantastic AWA that has held up nicely, though not sure how much longer it will hold out. Thankful I was able to give this one a try.

4.19/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Rating is for the 2008 vintage

4.74/5  rDev +3.5%

From 04/30/11 notes. Got to try this one at Dark Lord Day thanks to Sean9689; huge thanks Sean, this was one of my biggest Wants! 2010 vintage from a swing top bottle.

a - Pours a hazy yellow color with an inch of white head and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour lemons, other sour fruits, oak, earthy notes. Very nice and sour, though not overally tart. Pretty amazing.

t - Tastes of tart lemon, sour citrus, tart fruits, oak, earthy, grassy notes, and a very light mustiness. Again, absoutely amazing. Not the sourest beer I've ever had, but one of the more enjoyable sour beers.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation.

o - Overall one of the best sours I've had; I'm really glad it actually lived up to my expectations. Had a lot of great beers at DLD and this one was probably my favorite. Lots of sour and tart lemons and while not overly sour, it's very refreshing and enjoyable. Would jump at the chance to by a bottle of this one when and if I make it out to Toronado.

4.72/5  rDev +3.1%

I have waited a really long time to try this beer, Some might say too long, But never the less, this was no easy feat to track one down. That being said I was graciously able to acquire through a wonderful west coast friend who took pity on my plea. The was a 2008 vintage bottle, served out of the cellar at around 50 degrees and poured into my darkness snifter, let the games begin.

As I pour it out, I have to admit I am a bit nervous here. Maybe it is the high expectations I have for this brew, perhaps the preconceived notions are getting to me, no matter. Pours out a very nice and cloudy orange tinted amber color. I could not see through the glass when held up to the light. Nice fizzy head rises quickly to about an inch and a half and then faded away into the night, leaving an almost bare top, well after a few minutes it was a totally bare top. Some light carbonation could be seen inside the glass and a good bit of sediment getting stirred up in the bottle.

Aroma is a tar bomb off the bat, but not enormously sour. Much more complex then then that. Light notes of citrus, orange, semi sweet notes as well coming though as it warms. Deep horse funk apparent as well now. So I go in, for my first sip of Cable Car, and I have to admit it is much more mellow then I thought it would be. Seriously though, I was expecting this deep, wretchedly sour ale and this was not the case. It was remarkably smooth, almost sinisterly so. Deep funky notes predominate, with early touches of white grapes and tart apples. Soo damn smooth though. A bit light on the carbonation in the feel, left me looking for a little more, but damn the taste is unreal. Cannot really compare it too much else. It is just amazing drinkable. The first glass went down like water for me, but half way through the second the ABV starts to kick in and I am feeling it as I type this for sure. Still though I find myself wanted to take bigger and bigger sips, it just that smooth. The finish had to be the driest I can recall with all moisture being sucked from the palate almost immediatly.

Overall wow. The taste was just out of this world. It could have used a bit more pop in the carbonation and appearence but that being said it was still unreal. Super damn drinkable and just absurd. Worth the hunt as I cannot compare it to anything else.

4.07/5  rDev -11.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. 2012 bottle.

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden body with the briefest of white heads. Nary a collar as it settles.

Smell - Fruity acidity. Some malt and oak. Fruit is like a light grape, white wine aroma.

Taste - Sweeter than I expected. Oak is strong. White wine notes all over. Lactic sourness. Malty.

Mouthfeel - Medium heavy body. Medium carbonation. Oaky and moderate sourness.

Overall - Not a complex sour, but very well made. More than the sum of its parts.

4.49/5  rDev -2%

Review #100! I had to get one while I was at the Toronado in San Diego. 2010 Bottle poured into a goblet multiple times.

A - Pours pale yellow with lots of little bubbles racing up the glass into a nice pillow of half finger tall white head leaving spotty wisps of lacing down the glass.

S - Quite a bit of funky brett, lemon, and other bright citric fruits blend well with the strong funk. Pretty tart but not to the point of being overpowering. Very nice stuff.

T - Lots of sourness up front giving way slowly to a mix of strong acidic lemon and some chewy brett funk. Finish is dry with plenty of lingering sour funk. Nice and light, quite refreshing actually. It did wear me down over the course of the bottle but I think that had more to do with me drinking the entire thing myself. I would love to get my hands on a bottle of this for the cellar.

M - Medium-light body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Quite the dry feel with plenty of lingering sourness that sticks around for some time.

D - Quite high. How could I not give this a five? I drank the entire bottle in one sitting and I barely felt it. Not too tart like some of the other wild's I have had recently. Nice and refreshing. I wish this wasn't such a pain in the ass to get. I would love to have a few of these for special occasions. Quite tasty stuff for sure.

4.14/5  rDev -9.6%

2007 Vintage

A: The pour is a very hazy golden yellow color without much head and very little retention.

S: The nose is full of lactic tartness with a mild mustiness and a pleasant barnyard funk. The sourness is primarily in the form of lemon and green apples.

T: The flavor is highly sour with plenty of lemony lactic acid and a touch of vinegar. The funk is much more subdued than the nose would lead you to believe.

M: The body is light to medium with a full carbonation and a nice dry finish.

D: This particular bottle was the best of the Cable Car pours that I've had. A solid sourness and nice fruit character, but a little lacking in the "funk" department.

4.59/5  rDev +0.2%

2007 vintage. Thanks to Brad for sharing this gem.

A: cloudy, straw yellow, little lacing

S: hay, barnyard funk, citrus, slight oak

T: very complex, lingering aftertaste. A great puckering sour. Not too acidic. No bitterness. I wish it was more sour, actually. Flavors blended superbly.

M: smooth and balanced, very pleasant sourness, no alcohol taste

D: A fine brew, and easy to sip, given the style.

4.75/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cable Car from The Lost Abbey