Red Poppy Ale | The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

#634

Ratings: 1,975 |  Reviews: 582

1.18/5  rDev -72.4%

looking over the reviews I do not know if I just got a bad bottle or what.

the smell itself is over powering. It had a tart, sweet and strong smell to it.

First sip there was too much going on. I love tart and sour in candy but this beer was unlike anything I have ever tasted.This went right down the drain after I had it. It does have lemon and other citrus flavor to it, but it is a malt with way too many strong flavors that all seem to over power one another.

2.25/5  rDev -47.4%

2.33/5  rDev -45.6%

A- Minimal carbonation from the get go. A thin, cream colored head appears and disappears. Murky brown with rose highlights.

S- Vinegar

T&M- Vinegar. Nothing else can penetrate an overpowering vinegar. I can't taste the base beer at all. I can't even get any oak. A touch of tart cherries. Carbonation is almost non existent.

O- unbelievable, a $18 drain pour. Maybe this is a bad bottle, but I'm not going to spend money again to find out.

2.42/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -41.6%

2.6/5  rDev -39.3%

2009 bottle. Pours a muddy burgundy with a soapy head. Nose is typical lost Abbey Brett, very tight in that regard, with light balsamic vinegar and a fair dose of acidity. Mouth is highly acidic, some dark sour cherries, vinegar. Acetic. Decent base "brown ale" underneath but too many things going wrong here, starting with the acidity. Body is kind of watery and empty, with a flabby finish. Nah.

I've had a couple bottles of this and it's really overrated even being in the A range. Very mediocre Oud Bruin type of a beer with an unacceptably high acidic level.

From another bottle. Despite standing upright in a cool cellar for a month, this is muddy, flabby, overly acidic, boring, one dimensional. Why people rate this beer highly is beyond me.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I tried this out of a champagne flute, as per the recs on this site.

It was an effervescent amber color with an aroma that of course reminded me of cherries but also of something like a cherry lime rickey with some sweet tones but also a little bit of a smokey oaky scent. It's rare that I say this about a beer but the mouthfeel really came on strong before the taste with the carbonation. It almost felt like my tongue was being cleaned off between sips. After the cleansing of my palate, the tart cherries took over and left my mouth with a feeling of cherry liqueur feel.

Overall, I didn't totally enjoy the sensation, though I can see how some would.

2.79/5  rDev -34.8%

Served from 2009 bottle into a Surly Darkness snifter. Pours a murky brown with a very small amount of head-like bubbles that fade quickly. Cork made no noise when removed. Uh oh. This stuff looks like flat cola. With lots sediment. Smell is an improvement over appearance, but that isnt saying much. Has the familiar lost abbey wild characteristics, sour lactic acid, a bit spicy, sour cherries in the background. Maybe a hint of yeast as well. Taste is what I remember red poppy tasting like. Very sour with a hint of ripe red cherries, no residual sweetness, mostly just lacto sourness. Mouthfeel is pretty bad. This beer is still, the mouthfeel is medium heavy, and the sourness of the beer gives you the feeling in the back of your throat like you just ate a bag of sour patch kids. Some bubbles would have done wonders for this beer. Drinkability is low too due to the lack of carbonation. This one may end up a drain pour - the mouthfeel kills any potential this beer may have had.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

Bottle obtained in a trade with numbeercruncher. Damn fine trader.

Poured into chalice glass

A. Cloudy brownish body, no head. Looks semi appealing.

S. Smells like sour cherries and feet. I'm not really feeling this is my type of shit.

T. Yep... Definitely not my shit. Taste like old sour cherries, I dunno, plastic maybe, vinegar, oak. It's on point for the style but damned if I like it

M. thin

D. Fuck that. It pretty much taste like eating a cherry dipped in vinegar.

So this will probably be my last attempt at any "sour" beer. I'm sure some people get down with this style but not this guy. I think I'll stick to stouts and IPA's from now on.

2.88/5  rDev -32.7%

This is a bit of an unusual review for me because I had the opportunity to have both the 2008 and 2009 within a week of each other. If I had written a review after the 2008, it would have echoed many of those here praising it's virtues. I thought it was an excellent Flanders-style beer, up there with the great Belgian names. I would have given it an A.

Alas, I opened the 2009 recently received from my Sinners shipment. A major disappointment. The pour was flat and syrupy--yet another beer from Lost Abbey that was not properly carbonated upon release. In addition, I literally had to strain the beer because of an unprecedented amount of solid matter. I've had plenty of beers with sediment and floaties, but this was out of control. It was literally chunky, with what appeared to be the skins of cherries floating around everywhere. The flavors were fine, but with no carbonation and solid matter, the overall taste suffered markedly.

I'm tiring of the inconsistency of Lost Abbey products. Quality control just doesn't seem to be a concern. I'm sure Tomme would attest otherwise, but the reality is that even though this was by far the worst, there have been many, many other occasions of QC issues for me (and it's not just me; see forum postings). No other world-class brewery has anywhere near the same issues.

Given that it is among the most expensive beer out there, this is unacceptable to me. As such, I cannot give this beer anywhere near the ranking I would have given the 2008. It is a shame, because when the stars properly align, Lost Abbey truly does belong in the discussion of the best.

2.98/5  rDev -30.4%

pours brown with amber highlights around the edges. alot of thick off white head that sticks around awhile. smells like red wine vinegar and wood. taste is sour tart cherries up front, then comes the wood, then theres the vinegar i smelled. has good carbonation but just feels watered down, very thin. i've had better beers of this style for half the price. cant get that vinegar taste out of my mouth.

3.13/5  rDev -26.9%

A - Brownish red almost grape juice like color. very light lacing. This is the first Lost Abbey beer I have ever had that popped when uncorked and also had a head (Poured at an elevation of 2500FT or so in Emmet Idaho.)

S - Powerful sourness in the aroma. A sweet smell with a mild cherry smell on the end. Definitely a lot of hints of fruit like scent, kind of similar to smelling a %100 fruit rollup.

T/M -- Light in viscosity at first with a definite upfront flavor of the brown ale. Middle shifts to tartness and definite carbonation with a semi acidic finish. After the palette adjusts from the sourness the presence of cherries is prominent as well as the oak showing up about halfway through the bottle (possibly due to it acclimating itself to a room temperature.)

O - This beer is a very well played sour (though I am NOT a fan of sours. Nice cherry and oak flavors, thats about it with a huge smack of of sour, don't seek and don't destroy.

PP (Price Point) - $18.99 for a 375ml caged and corked bottle is super, super overkill in price. I am not a big sour fan, but this continues on with the trend of Lost Abbey having underwhelming beers at overwhelming prices. Would be more appropriatley priced around $6-$8.

3.14/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Dry, bitter. Faint cherries at best. Disappointing Flanders.

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey