Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Red Poppy Ale | The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale
4.28/5
Outstanding
Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

#630

Ratings: 1,971 |  Reviews: 582
4.42/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

So good. Murky red nearly opaque. Cherries and lactic along with bread on the nose. Nice balanced tartness but woah! What's that? Some Brett funk? Yes indeed, a complex beer with tartness, fruit, and bluecheesey funkiness. Better than expected.

4.26/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent taste and feel , lovely color .

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%

I'm not a sour nut, so don't crucify me here. I bought this expecting more a bruin than a sour, I'm not sure why (I guess I'm terrible at labels), and when I poured it, that was my first thought, as the color is an unashamedly swamp-water murky brown. I was quite excited. I took a sniff and... sour. That overpowering and yet oddly dull scent of a sour hit me immediately, there's absolutely nothing else I can smell in this beer.

The first sip was not pleasant for me, as I wasn't sure what I should be getting - I definitely don't recommend this beer over-chilled. All you'll taste when it's cold is the brett, everything else is just muted by it. Once it warmed up, I took much more of a shine to it.

The front is all sour. I don't get the kriek vibe on the initial taste - it's very much just a sour to my palate. The sour is quite strong, and combined with the carbonation this creates a very, very dry brew - there's no residual sugar hanging around. But once the sour fades, and it does, you get the taste of a beautiful bruin with a hint of cherry fruit. The malts are pleasantly roasty and rich with a hint of chocolate blending very well with the cherry, but they are undeniably on the back end of this beer.

Overall, it's a roller coaster ride of a brew. I'm not the biggest sour fan, and this beer is insanely expensive (I paid around $18 for a 12.7oz). The value simply kills the overall score for me, this isn't a "once in a lifetime" brew deserving of such a ridiculous MSRP. But if you're a sour fiend and must have it, absolutely, you want it.

Myself? I'd love to taste the bruin they use in this before the cherries and the sourness get in there. I give it a full recommendation on taste, but this beer is just too pricey for what it is.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Fresh 2016 batch taster at the brewery and then bottle at home later same day.
Strong, sweet red cherry (maraschino?) aroma. If I were blindfolded, I would think this was a Kriek because of the sour nose and slight presence of yeast.

Tastes like a Kriek, too...almost. But it isn't sweet and there are more "brown" elements like crystal and chocolate malts. Very interesting as it is unusual. Good body with a mildly elevated carbonation.

Something delicious and unusual!

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.27/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.42/5  rDev -43.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

4.21/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Super carbonated, it's a pleasant surprise for a LA beer. Starts out a little bit tart, but fades quickly. Light on cherry flavor. Earthy undertones. Cherry skins, lacto and oak. Balanced sourness. Good stuff.

4.34/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.29/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Looks more oud bruin than it does flanders, its brown. ruddy brown. Aroma was mostly wood, dark fruit, didn't get the sour cherry explosion that the commercial tug job talks up.

Taste was much better, now we're poppin' sour cherries here, ample brown malt. Dry and oaky. Tannins. This is a good, but expensive beer. Oude Tart is the same price, but you get twice as much beer. Like I said, its good, but at a poor price point ($15/375ml).

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.06/5  rDev -5.1%

3.78/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

4.24/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.96/5  rDev +15.9%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%