Red Poppy Ale | The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale
Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

Ratings: 1,986 |  Reviews: 584

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11%

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

The beer pours a deep candied brown like root beer. The head is large, tan and rocky, but it mellows down to a half fingers width with time, while lacing is droopy and thin. The beers body is clear of sediment with light carbonation bubbles traveling up the sides of the glass. The beer smells much mustier than I expected for the style. Sour hints of cherry and fruit leather are present along with a caramel malt background. Musty funk is definitely present though, and suggests a hint of church basements, and perhaps that of a lost abbey…

The beer tastes largely sour with definite notes of sour cherries, though they are weaker than I would hope for. Caramel malts are present in the background as a faint hint, but the sour cherry funk is the dominant thing. Yeast notes give a slight sour apple and slight barnyard and hay notes, as well as slight buttery notes in the middle of the taste, and the beer is nice to sip slowly. The mouthfeel has strong under-pricklings, but overall the beer is smooth and creamy. The tongue is left slick with saliva and a slight after taste of cherries and sour apples, the middle of the tongue is also dry but sticky. The real star of the mouthfeel, however, is how the beer mellows its own effervescence out into a smooth velvety embrace on your tongue. Overall this is another tasty Flanders red. I didn’t like this as much as Oude Tart, but I think I liked it more than Rodenbach’s Grand Cru. It’s worth a try for sour lovers, and I am very happy to sample a full bottle from The Lost Abbey, though their pricing on the East Coast is a far too much for my budget. Worth a try, but not worth continued sampling.

4.57/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a Central Waters snifter glass. Big thanks to rocporterfanatic for hooking me UP on this one in the This is Me in a Box BIF.

A: Pours a thick mahogany brown color. Less-than-aggressive pour leads to a fizzy 2 finger head that disappears pretty quickly but leaves a nice thin ring around the outside of the top of the brew. Some lacing but not enough to write home about.

S: The full fledged cherry aroma is obviously numero uno when it comes to the nose. However, the subtle breakdown of the oak barrels really shine through. I'm picking up a bunch of other smells too but I can't really identify them. It's undoubtedly the aroma of a sour but the nose isn't overpowering.

T: Bam. Sour cherries wage a full on assault of the palate. Little fizzies lift the sourness off of my tongue and slam it back down again not stopping, no way no how. This is one sour m-effing beer and I love it! Made me pucker immediately and I went back for more as soon as I could. Again the cherries are the most prevalent flavor but the oak really does add many layers of complexity that I can't entirely pinpoint.

M: Sharp, biting finish makes me stretch out my mouth and chomp my teeth down. Plenty of carbonation (which was somewhat of a concern after reading all of the Lost Abbey complaints).

O: Easily the sourest and tastiest of the Flanders Red Ales I've had (although my experience is limited). It has all the makings of a top tier sour. This one is one that not only am I glad I tried but one that will forever be on my wants list. Thanks again RocPorterFanatic...I am eternally grateful for the chance to drink this beer.

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey