Red Poppy | The Lost Abbey

Red PoppyRed Poppy

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

#707

Ratings: 2,002 |  Reviews: 590
4.29/5  rDev +0.2%

Tried this at the release. The keg kicked before I got in the door though, so mine was a taster from the beer angel (molly). One disclaimer - our lot had cork floating around, which was disconcerting, but I will forgive.

The beer had a rich golden color, although my flute was a little cloudy. I didn't pour it, so I will just assume the smallish white head didn't last long. I never had a Flanders Red before, so this was a new experience for me. The aroma was unique, you could tell right away that this is a sour ale. Maybe a tiny hint of some residual cherry smell as well.

I was also unprepared for the taste - light but very tangy. I didn't really like it at the time. It finishes fairly dry, and it took me awhile to grow into the tartness. I was also slightly off-put by the presence of the cork floating into my mouth. I'm going to hold on to one or two of these bottles and see how they are in a year, maybe the next time Red Poppy rolls out.

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.85/5  rDev -10%

No head to speak of. The minimal amount of carbonation was gone before I got from the counter to the couch.

Great red color on this brew. Light seemed to sparkle through it. Absolutely no lacing on the glass, very thin ale.

Very sour, very tart, very sharp. Cherries come through, which was a nice quality.

Was glad to be able to try this brew. I'd try it again, but not sure it's on my list of things to seek out.

Good example of the style though.

1.18/5  rDev -72.4%

looking over the reviews I do not know if I just got a bad bottle or what.

the smell itself is over powering. It had a tart, sweet and strong smell to it.

First sip there was too much going on. I love tart and sour in candy but this beer was unlike anything I have ever tasted.This went right down the drain after I had it. It does have lemon and other citrus flavor to it, but it is a malt with way too many strong flavors that all seem to over power one another.

4.81/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cracked a 2014 to celebrate the release of the 2015! Poured from a 375 mL bottle into a .4L Bruery tulip.

L: Pours a murky deep brown, with cranberry hues in the light. a thick cream/beige head forms on the pour and recedes quickly into a fine, but steady, head that laces the glass and falls away within minutes.

S: Tart tart tart, with a subtle hint of funk deep within the glass. Enticing. Subtle cherry in the middle, but you can absolutely smell the sour. Minute alcohol.

T: Oh yes. Just like it smells, really tart, and delicious. But with so much more cherry in the taste. Oak in subtle ways that mellow into farmhouse funky cherry goodness.

F: Dry. Carbonated nicely and finely, but dissipates as it warms. Coats the tongue and cheeks nicely with resiny tartness.

O: Great beer. I drink a large number of sours and this one stands up in its particular category. It is aggressive and may not be for all beer drinkers, or even sour drinkers. If you dig the style go with a classic American interpretation of it.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle at BiN2860.
Rich ocher, mahogany color. One finger ivory head, little retention, decent lacing.

Slight sour/tart notes of pomegranate, cranberry lead into the earthy and oaky nose. Lots of dusty, woody aromas. The oak barrel definitely makes itself known. A little loamy, mushroom forest floor notes.

Rich yet electric, bold and balanced. The taste is zippy from the sour fruit esters, with a wonderful undertone of malty richness to even it out. Full bodied for a sour, with a tart cleanliness. The finish is surprisingly light with the cranberry lingering on...

All in all, a beautiful example of the style. Well done Lost Abbey (again)

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

375ml corked and caged bottle from the 2011 release. Drank from a Bells tulip.

A- Pours out a hazy looking reddish brown colored body with a full two fingers of fluffy light tan head.The head falls very quickly and leaves virtually nothing in the way of lacing.

S- Cherries are the dominant feature here. There is a fair amount of funk in the nose and a hint of barrel. A very nice aroma.

T- The cherries are again a dominant factor, but they seem to stay more subtle than the nose would indicate. Some acidic sourness. Funk and oak barrel are also there,

M- light bodied and medium carbonated. dry finish.

O- This is a very flavorful beer. Its a little to pricey for me, but I really enjoyed this one. I still have one more, but I will be holding it back for a while.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

Absolutely delicious. It's incredibly sour when first sipped, but has a warmer and sweeter aftertaste. Very pleasant to drink. It's foggy and dark red, almost resembling pomegranate juice in the glass. It doesn't look very carbonated, but was surprisingly bubbly.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Cherries, cherries, cherries... What more to say??? Quite a bit, actually!

Got this bottle in a mixed batch from my good friend Kenan out in San Marcos -- I was SOO happy to see it; this is a Flanders I haven't had the chance to try yet.

The appearance is cloudy, reddish brown in the bottle -- I can barely see through the bottle, not because it's thick, but because it's so darn hazy. Pours about the same; very hazy, with no noticeable head. Very little carbonation (and very little pop when I uncorked it), but many tiny, tightly clustered bubbles visible lacing sides & top of glass.

Smell is very vinegary, almost as if the cherries were a bit over-fermented. Pleasant smell, nonetheless, with a fair amount of sweetness behind the vinegar. No hop smell apparent -- they may not have used any at all. For that matter, next to no malty smell either -- the sweetness I do smell is more a fruity sweet, and not at all deep or heavy.

Taste is amazing -- like a sour candy, but with a beery aftertaste. It hits my mouth like a sledgehammer, and there is so much sourness up front that me and the two others I was tasting with visibly puckered up. After that inital shock, the taste mellows out some (or maybe my taste buds just gave up), and it becomes a sweet, light taste, almost like a lambic. I'm wondering now just how much cherry is in there -- a bushel, or just a jar. My friend Tim commented "You could put that on your fish & chips", and I agree -- the sweetness & vinegar come through strong.

Although the Red Poppy is definitely sour to the last drop, it is at the same time very drinkable. While drinking this all night might make me slightly stoopid, I would definitely enjoy it! It's certainly a sipper though -- 1 12.5oz bottle took the 3 of us a full 20 minutes to finish off, at which point we all started wondering where we could find more.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A-Rich brown with a slight red hue. Good head retention with creamy foam.
S- Definite funk scent, which delivers what it promises. Oak-y, no hint of cherry
T- Delicious smooth sour flavor. Not incredibly pungent, more flavor after you swallow. No cherry flavor to be found, which I was happy with. Very true to style. No sour bite at the end.
M- Perfect level of carbonation with the flavor. Allows the flavors to dance on your tongue after swallowing and coats your tongue perfectly.
O- Wonderful flavors and something I would enjoy drinking except for the price

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a murky reddish/light brown color with a bubbly white head, leaving behind little lacing. It smells very much like sour cherries. It also has a bit of a lemony zest to it as well. It tastes very much like the nose would suggest. Very tart, makes you pucker at first, but not overly tart that it can't be handled. Very good beer to drink and one you can drink a lot of with a 5.5%abv if you can drink a lot of sour beers. Overall a beer I wish I could have much more of.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I'm a huge Flanders Red fan so when I finally opened this 2009 at a recent tasting I was quite excited. Corked pulled with no pop whatsoever. Flat as tap water. Bummer.
Luckily a Flanders Red can still be somewhat enjoyed with no carbonation. Poured a murky red into my snifter followed by a slight fizz head that vanished as soon as it formed. Smelled pretty wonderful. Cherries, cider vinegar, and oak. Taste was pretty on par for a Flanders, tart cherries, wood, a little sourness and funk. Mouthfeel was a little lacking for obvious reasons, but the drinkability was pretty on point. If it would of had some carbonation it would have carried it alot more.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Popped my caged and corked Red poppy ale. I was extremely happy to hear a huge pop when I corked it, no flat abbey here. It even gushed out a little bit, but luckily I had my glass right there to catch this beauty.

Appearance-Pours with a 1 1/2 finger head leaving lots of lace, and showed great carbonation. Off white head. Red poppy has a deep brown color with amber hues in the depth of it reflecting the cherries used in it.

Aroma- Brett, funk, cherry, sour, candy apple, almost sweet, and a lot of oak. This beer had a great nose on it the brett and funk melded exceptionally well with the cherry aromas, with the oak finishing it up nicely.

Taste- Red poppy flowed over my palate with a beautiful funky bright cherry flavor. The brett and oak came in on the back end with a huge patch of sourness, and a little bit of a nice vinegar note. It ends with a beautiful sour cherry finish.

Mouthfeel- Amazing smooth silky mouthfeel, with great carbonation that seamlessly blends with the sourness.

Overall- A beautiful representation of this style, and it was a great beer overall. Good job Lost Abbey.

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Vintage 2012 bottle, cellared for fourteen months, poured into champagne flute.

Appearance: Looks like a classic brown ale with a half finger of khaki head that dissipates quickly. When held up to light it takes on a more amber/deep ruby red hue.

Smell: Oak and vanilla at first, the sour scent associated with most wild ales is present to a lesser extent. The cherry aroma has faded considerably, most likely due to cellaring, and is barely detectable.

Taste: First taste is a mild tartness, though not puckering like many other sours due to the mellowness of the barrels and the sweetness imparted by the cherries and malts. There's no doubt that the base beer here was loaded with dark malts which lend a caramel character to the taste. I was concerned that this would be overly fruity, but between the barrels and cellaring that's not the case.

Mouthfeel: Silky with lots of small CO2 streaming from the base of the glass. The acidity from the wild yeast strains adds to the stinging feeling of the carbonation. A bit more mellow on the palate than most wild and sour ales I've had (Lindeman's, Cantillon, etc).

Overall: I enjoyed this beer mostly for its uniqueness. The brewing process was well thought-out here, balancing the acids produced by the wild yeast with the mellowing and sweetening effects of barrel aging and cherries. I would be interested in trying this beer either from a fresh bottle or on tap for comparison. Although this is an excellent beer and worthy of much of the hype surrounding it, I don't believe it's great enough to justify the $20 price-tag.

Red Poppy from The Lost Abbey