Red Poppy Ale | The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

#634

firstprev| 1901-1925 | 1926-1950 | 1951-1975  | next → last
Ratings: 1,975 |  Reviews: 582

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

375ml bottle poured into Lost Abbey Tulip

A: good cork pop, hopefullly no carbonation problems, pours brown with a redish tint to it, small head that fades away quickly

S: strong smell of cherries, slight sourness, smell vinegar?

T: very sour, definatly taste the cherries and vinegar, not bad

M: very light easy to drink, strong carbonation

O: as my second sour I am really impressed, it was enjoyable and will definatly look for it again

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Poured a dark brownish red. Finger head into a wide tulip glass.

S- The second i opened the cap on the bottle I got a huge whiff of vinegar. Made me think that it had gone bad. But by the time it was poured into a snifter glass the aroma of this beer exploded. The vinegar was there but faintly present while the cherries and oak mixed in tart funkiness. The smell of this beer is phenomenal.

T- Starts with a flat general funkiness that is followed up by big tart cherries with a touch of oak on the finish. Slightly underwhelmed simply because the nose was so pleasant.

M- Light in the tongue with a pleasantly smooth low carbonation. The tartness sticks to the tongue between sips.

O- One of the best from Lost Abbey, this was a 2011 bottle so I'm anxious to see what it does with a little time. I think it could really mature into something exceptional because it's already damn good.

4.52/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Excellent taste and feel , lovely color .

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Had this recently in bottle format and WOW! What an amazing beer! I will say as a disclamer that I am not a "sour beer" guy but I found this to be a very approachable beer to the average craft beer consumer. The poppys left a distinct yet balenced aroma and flavor that lingered on the tongue pleasently as the sour notes fade from the pallet. The price for a bottle is in the "premium" category to be sure, but it is well worth it and I look forward to re-visiting this fantastic beer soon.

4.97/5  rDev +16.1%

4.54/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Enjoyed this brew thoroughly. Figured i'd enjoy it in a snifter which in turn made the "sour" cherry smell unbelievable! Poured dark red with a light pink head about half inch thick on top. Sweet/Tart taste was everything i look for in a Flanders Red.

4.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Darn near perfect local sour. On tap @ Craft Kitchen, La Mesa CA.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Amazing sour. Have last years bottles for trade.

4.19/5  rDev -2.1%

Cherries are predominant in scent and flavor. Not too sure if I can pull out the flavor of the poppy. Good sour, but not exceptional in any given aspect.

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%

I'm not a sour nut, so don't crucify me here. I bought this expecting more a bruin than a sour, I'm not sure why (I guess I'm terrible at labels), and when I poured it, that was my first thought, as the color is an unashamedly swamp-water murky brown. I was quite excited. I took a sniff and... sour. That overpowering and yet oddly dull scent of a sour hit me immediately, there's absolutely nothing else I can smell in this beer.

The first sip was not pleasant for me, as I wasn't sure what I should be getting - I definitely don't recommend this beer over-chilled. All you'll taste when it's cold is the brett, everything else is just muted by it. Once it warmed up, I took much more of a shine to it.

The front is all sour. I don't get the kriek vibe on the initial taste - it's very much just a sour to my palate. The sour is quite strong, and combined with the carbonation this creates a very, very dry brew - there's no residual sugar hanging around. But once the sour fades, and it does, you get the taste of a beautiful bruin with a hint of cherry fruit. The malts are pleasantly roasty and rich with a hint of chocolate blending very well with the cherry, but they are undeniably on the back end of this beer.

Overall, it's a roller coaster ride of a brew. I'm not the biggest sour fan, and this beer is insanely expensive (I paid around $18 for a 12.7oz). The value simply kills the overall score for me, this isn't a "once in a lifetime" brew deserving of such a ridiculous MSRP. But if you're a sour fiend and must have it, absolutely, you want it.

Myself? I'd love to taste the bruin they use in this before the cherries and the sourness get in there. I give it a full recommendation on taste, but this beer is just too pricey for what it is.

firstprev| 1901-1925 | 1926-1950 | 1951-1975  | next → last