Red Poppy Ale | The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

#671

Ratings: 1,990 |  Reviews: 586
4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%

Cherries, cherries, cherries... What more to say??? Quite a bit, actually!

Got this bottle in a mixed batch from my good friend Kenan out in San Marcos -- I was SOO happy to see it; this is a Flanders I haven't had the chance to try yet.

The appearance is cloudy, reddish brown in the bottle -- I can barely see through the bottle, not because it's thick, but because it's so darn hazy. Pours about the same; very hazy, with no noticeable head. Very little carbonation (and very little pop when I uncorked it), but many tiny, tightly clustered bubbles visible lacing sides & top of glass.

Smell is very vinegary, almost as if the cherries were a bit over-fermented. Pleasant smell, nonetheless, with a fair amount of sweetness behind the vinegar. No hop smell apparent -- they may not have used any at all. For that matter, next to no malty smell either -- the sweetness I do smell is more a fruity sweet, and not at all deep or heavy.

Taste is amazing -- like a sour candy, but with a beery aftertaste. It hits my mouth like a sledgehammer, and there is so much sourness up front that me and the two others I was tasting with visibly puckered up. After that inital shock, the taste mellows out some (or maybe my taste buds just gave up), and it becomes a sweet, light taste, almost like a lambic. I'm wondering now just how much cherry is in there -- a bushel, or just a jar. My friend Tim commented "You could put that on your fish & chips", and I agree -- the sweetness & vinegar come through strong.

Although the Red Poppy is definitely sour to the last drop, it is at the same time very drinkable. While drinking this all night might make me slightly stoopid, I would definitely enjoy it! It's certainly a sipper though -- 1 12.5oz bottle took the 3 of us a full 20 minutes to finish off, at which point we all started wondering where we could find more.

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

A-Rich brown with a slight red hue. Good head retention with creamy foam.
S- Definite funk scent, which delivers what it promises. Oak-y, no hint of cherry
T- Delicious smooth sour flavor. Not incredibly pungent, more flavor after you swallow. No cherry flavor to be found, which I was happy with. Very true to style. No sour bite at the end.
M- Perfect level of carbonation with the flavor. Allows the flavors to dance on your tongue after swallowing and coats your tongue perfectly.
O- Wonderful flavors and something I would enjoy drinking except for the price

3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Pours a murky reddish/light brown color with a bubbly white head, leaving behind little lacing. It smells very much like sour cherries. It also has a bit of a lemony zest to it as well. It tastes very much like the nose would suggest. Very tart, makes you pucker at first, but not overly tart that it can't be handled. Very good beer to drink and one you can drink a lot of with a 5.5%abv if you can drink a lot of sour beers. Overall a beer I wish I could have much more of.

4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

I'm a huge Flanders Red fan so when I finally opened this 2009 at a recent tasting I was quite excited. Corked pulled with no pop whatsoever. Flat as tap water. Bummer.
Luckily a Flanders Red can still be somewhat enjoyed with no carbonation. Poured a murky red into my snifter followed by a slight fizz head that vanished as soon as it formed. Smelled pretty wonderful. Cherries, cider vinegar, and oak. Taste was pretty on par for a Flanders, tart cherries, wood, a little sourness and funk. Mouthfeel was a little lacking for obvious reasons, but the drinkability was pretty on point. If it would of had some carbonation it would have carried it alot more.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Popped my caged and corked Red poppy ale. I was extremely happy to hear a huge pop when I corked it, no flat abbey here. It even gushed out a little bit, but luckily I had my glass right there to catch this beauty.

Appearance-Pours with a 1 1/2 finger head leaving lots of lace, and showed great carbonation. Off white head. Red poppy has a deep brown color with amber hues in the depth of it reflecting the cherries used in it.

Aroma- Brett, funk, cherry, sour, candy apple, almost sweet, and a lot of oak. This beer had a great nose on it the brett and funk melded exceptionally well with the cherry aromas, with the oak finishing it up nicely.

Taste- Red poppy flowed over my palate with a beautiful funky bright cherry flavor. The brett and oak came in on the back end with a huge patch of sourness, and a little bit of a nice vinegar note. It ends with a beautiful sour cherry finish.

Mouthfeel- Amazing smooth silky mouthfeel, with great carbonation that seamlessly blends with the sourness.

Overall- A beautiful representation of this style, and it was a great beer overall. Good job Lost Abbey.

4.14/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Vintage 2012 bottle, cellared for fourteen months, poured into champagne flute.

Appearance: Looks like a classic brown ale with a half finger of khaki head that dissipates quickly. When held up to light it takes on a more amber/deep ruby red hue.

Smell: Oak and vanilla at first, the sour scent associated with most wild ales is present to a lesser extent. The cherry aroma has faded considerably, most likely due to cellaring, and is barely detectable.

Taste: First taste is a mild tartness, though not puckering like many other sours due to the mellowness of the barrels and the sweetness imparted by the cherries and malts. There's no doubt that the base beer here was loaded with dark malts which lend a caramel character to the taste. I was concerned that this would be overly fruity, but between the barrels and cellaring that's not the case.

Mouthfeel: Silky with lots of small CO2 streaming from the base of the glass. The acidity from the wild yeast strains adds to the stinging feeling of the carbonation. A bit more mellow on the palate than most wild and sour ales I've had (Lindeman's, Cantillon, etc).

Overall: I enjoyed this beer mostly for its uniqueness. The brewing process was well thought-out here, balancing the acids produced by the wild yeast with the mellowing and sweetening effects of barrel aging and cherries. I would be interested in trying this beer either from a fresh bottle or on tap for comparison. Although this is an excellent beer and worthy of much of the hype surrounding it, I don't believe it's great enough to justify the $20 price-tag.

4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

375ml bottle poured into Lost Abbey Tulip

A: good cork pop, hopefullly no carbonation problems, pours brown with a redish tint to it, small head that fades away quickly

S: strong smell of cherries, slight sourness, smell vinegar?

T: very sour, definatly taste the cherries and vinegar, not bad

M: very light easy to drink, strong carbonation

O: as my second sour I am really impressed, it was enjoyable and will definatly look for it again

4.36/5  rDev +1.9%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

A- Poured a dark brownish red. Finger head into a wide tulip glass.

S- The second i opened the cap on the bottle I got a huge whiff of vinegar. Made me think that it had gone bad. But by the time it was poured into a snifter glass the aroma of this beer exploded. The vinegar was there but faintly present while the cherries and oak mixed in tart funkiness. The smell of this beer is phenomenal.

T- Starts with a flat general funkiness that is followed up by big tart cherries with a touch of oak on the finish. Slightly underwhelmed simply because the nose was so pleasant.

M- Light in the tongue with a pleasantly smooth low carbonation. The tartness sticks to the tongue between sips.

O- One of the best from Lost Abbey, this was a 2011 bottle so I'm anxious to see what it does with a little time. I think it could really mature into something exceptional because it's already damn good.

Red Poppy Ale from The Lost Abbey