Red Poppy Ale | The Lost Abbey

Red Poppy AleRed Poppy Ale

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Flanders Red Ale

Perhaps no country embraces the use of fruit in beers more so than Belgium. Numerous traditional as well as regional specialty ales are infused with every sort of fruit imaginable. In this way, the flavor of the fruit becomes especially prominent.

Red Poppy Ale is a veritable celebration of Sour Cherries in an explosion of aromas and tastes. Brewed from a brown ale base and aged in our oak barrels for over 6 months, this beer is not for the faint of heart.

The Golden Poppy is the state flower of California and the Red Poppy is found in Flanders Fields where our inspiration for this beer comes from.

Added by BeerBeing on 09-07-2007

Ratings: 1,953 |  Reviews: 577

4.12/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Literally looks like watered down mud in a glass. Brown, yet no light could possibly pass. Small, quickly dying head. Leaves only a couple of spots for lace.

Strong, sweet red cherry (maraschino?) aroma. If I were blindfolded, I would think this was a Kriek because of the sour nose and slight presence of Belgian yeast.

Tastes like a Kriek, too...almost. But it isn't sweet and there are more "brown" elements like crystal and chocolate malts. Very interesting as it is unusual. Good body with a mildly elevated carbonation.

Certainly not an everyday beer, but a real treat for something delicious and unusual.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.85/5  rDev +14.4%

375ml corked and caged bottle served at cellar temperature and poured into a tulip glass

A - Poured a very nice and extremely cloudy and hazy light brown with just a hint of a reddish tint to it. This was very murky, but you could still see some of the light coming through on the sides and bottom of the glass, and in fact there was enough of it that I could notice some very fine sediment on the bottom, as well as some carbonation coming up from the bottom of the glass. A very nice head of approximately one and a half inches in height graced the top of it, and this settled down gradually, leaving behind a noticeable amount of side glass lace but nothing that was terribly too thick. The color on it was exquisite on this one, with just this burnt sienna color ( my son has a big box of crayons) that was just very nice. Did not come off terribly thick through the pour and seemed to have a light consistency to it but we shall see.

S - The aroma itself was very strong and very pungent. Almost immediately the yeast was in your face, giving it and extremely sour presence that I was not expecting, but should have known it was coming. Underneath that the clearly evident layer of cherries was starting to come through, tying to sweeten it up and giving it that very nice overall fruity vibe. Lots of spices now coming through as well, hints of what I picked up as cinnamon and fig were mixed in very well. Overall a very strong and very full aroma that was inviting and decidedly alive.

T - I really fell in love with this one upon the first sip that I took. The flavors were so vibrant and so well defined that it was very interesting to watch this one evolve over the course of the session. The first thing you would notice upon taking a sip was the nice sour taste coming though from the yeast. Big sour notes here, once they calmed down you started to pick up the fruity notes that were lying underneath of it. Lots of tart cherries that were really pushing their way up front and blending in nicely with a very spicy nutmeg like flavor. Very well balanced with no one thing really dominating over another, making for a very nice profile. Lots of different things going on here, with hints of even grapes and/or raisins starting to show as it warms up. The finish at least to me seemed to be the best part of the entire session. At first it was subtle, giving you a sour or bitter dry finish that drew out the flavor, but once you managed to run through that initial finish, their was this long lasting barrel aged cherry sweetness that was so good, it is almost impossible for me to accurately describe. I literally tasted that for a good 30 minutes after I finished that last drop. It was very sweet and bitter at the same time, not overpowering, just this subtle long lasting taste. This was really quite breathtaking to be honest. A wonderful taste here overall.

M - Very light bodied ale, despite the huge flavors, this one really never did get too big on you. The carbonation profile was excellent as well, never going flat, even though I took my sweet old time in finishing it, there was never a dull moment. I would have to say it was more crisp and refreshing then it was smooth, and really just superb all around in every way.

D - Now this was just perfect here. Nothing at all should be subtracted, as I rarely find something that I could sit down and enjoy sipping on for more then an hour in a sitting without becoming bored. This was it though. The flavors were exquisite and constantly evolving with changing temperatures, the carbonation was damn near perfect, never getting dull or flat, consistency was perfect, leaving it light, but not thin, and the ABV a modest 5%. I mean c'mon what more could you possibly even begin to ask for. I would have had ten of these if I could have.

Overall this one literally floored me. I have loved everything that has come out of Lost Abbey, and not being biased, but seriously, who else is this consistent with quality, I mean it seems everything new they put out is better then the one before that, its almost unheard of. This was just tremendous. A light fruity sour ale that had me literally giddy with excitement. This was something not only I would gladly have again, but that I would be actively searching for more of. One of the best I have ever had.

4.63/5  rDev +9.2%

2014 bottle, opened October 2014

A - Wow, what a beautiful looking beer. Deep, bright cranberry ice tea body. Creamy yellowed-paper head pours 2 fingers high, with great retention and lace for the style.

S - Fantastic. Bold green apple, caramel, bread crust, peaches, wild flowers, and lemon.

T - Tingly sour with bright lemon, brown sugar, tart apple cider, pumpernickel bread, green grapes, sharp black cherries, and soft white oak.

M - Outstanding carbonation with a crisp, medium frame.

O - A stellar example of one of my favorite styles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
T - 4.70 4.50 4.50 4.57 40%
M - 5.00 4.90 4.50 4.80 10%
O - 4.70 4.70 4.60 4.67 20%

4.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Poured from a 12.7 oz. bottle into my Duvel tulip. Finally got some bottles of this one as it has eluded me, mainly from lack of trying to acquire it. After trying Double Red Poppy at NOTB and loving it, I decided to get some bottles of this one.

a - Pours a dark mahogany brown with a reddish tint, one and a half fingers of off white head, and moderate carbonation evident. The bottle was a very slow gusher, but didn't lose any of it.

s - Smells of sour cherries, oak, tart dark fruits, vinegar, some funk, and some acedic notes. Very sour and tart, with lots of cherries; I'm a big fan of the nose.

t - Tastes of vinegar, sour dark fruits, wood, funk, acedic notes, light cherries. Very sour and lots of vinegar. A lot more vinegar than the nose, and less cherries. Good, but a definite step down.

m - Medium body and high carbonation, dry mouthfeel.

o - Overall a nice sour flanders I enjoyed. I loved the nose, as there was a lot of sour dark fruit, especially tart cherries. The taste was a lot of vinegar so if you like that in a sour, you'll probably love this one. I liked the Double Red Poppy better, but considering that is a beer only available on tap and this is easy to acquire, it's still very good. Would certainly have it again.

4.29/5  rDev +1.2%

Thanks to Anwar for this bottle. Split it tonight with the girlfriend.

A: Despite a vigorous pour into my Bruery tulip, there isn't much in the way of head formation. The beer itself is a slightly muddy mahogany color.

S: The nose is nice and tart with some nice sour cherry notes along with a slight acetic acid note. There's quite a bit of oak, which I was not quite expecting.

T: The flavor follows the nose almost exactly. Great oak and sour cherry flavors with only a touch of vinegar (which I often find a bit off-putting in Flanders ales).

M: The carbonation is quite low, lending the beer a slick feel on the tongue. The finish is nice and dry.

D: This is one of the more tart Oud Bruins I've had, but I enjoy that. The lower level of acetic acid is also a bit plus for me.

4.68/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.32/5  rDev +1.9%

Served in a small tasting glass and a Dogfish Head shaped pint glass.

Thanks to the Central PA group of the Gang Bang BIF and to AleWatcher for these bottles!

Tasted a 2008 vintage (courtesy of Jeff) alongside the newer vintage from the BIF. Both pour a cloudy russet-sunset sienna topped by a half-finger of dirty cream foam. The nose of the '08 comprises light vinegar, cherries, cinnamon, raspberries, and a rich red wine. The newer vintage, on the other hand, comprises red apple, cinnamon, maple syrup, oak, graham crackers, and light chocolate. Definitely more tart fruit in the aged version. The taste of the '08 holds notes of tart-ish black cherry, raspberries, black currant, light cocoa, graham crackers, cinnamon, and clove. The newer version is somewhat similar, with notes of tart cherry, black currant, mandarin orange, clove, and sharp raspberry. Both bodies weigh in at light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a sticky finish. Overall, a great beer with or without a few years on it. I think I prefer the older vintage, but it's not too big of a disparity.

4.07/5  rDev -4%

375 mL bottle poured into a goblet. Huge pain in the ass to get this cork out. I ended up decapitating it on accident and resorted to a corkscrew.

Appearance - Murky reddish brown body with a nice, cream colored head. Retention is spectacular as it sustains a nice pillow atop the body. Surprisingly, I have yet to have an uncarbonated Lost Abbey beer.

Smell - Cherries. Lots of cherries. I get a substantial funk behind all of it, though, which is quite welcome in my book. Not so sour smelling, really, which is also a good sign. I find that if I can smell the sour, it's usually a bad sour.

Taste - VERY tart. Overpoweringly, really. It's intense enough to overshadow any other flavors that are there. I get lots of sour cherries with some oaky barrel flavors in the middle. The finish gets a little acetic with the tartness, but it's blended with a bit of funk. The sourness lingers for quite a while.

Mouthfeel - It's not THAT tart, but the tartness just lasts and lasts. So much so that I find it hard to taste other things. It's light, dry, well-carbonated, but astringent in its acidity.

Overall - Not a balanced Flanders Red, but definitely a tasty one. I'd like to get a bit more complexity out of it, but it's just cherries all the way.

4.75/5  rDev +12%

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

Sharing a bottle with my wife tonight. Bliss.

2009 vintage.

The beer appears a crimson sunburst hue, with an eighth inch of head that quickly settles to a thin layer and holds. The aroma is fabulous, with funk, cherries, wild yeast, and oak. The taste follows suit, and makes my cheeks pucker in delight upon the first sip. Insanely good, I want to trade for more of this immediately. The finish contains a healthy dose of vinegar and acetic notes, but is no way harsh. Quite the opposite, I wish I had a growler of this. My new favorite Flanders Oud Bruin.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

375ml corked and caged bottle into a matching lost abbey stemmed glass (thanks Brett!) The brew appears a dark brown with nearly 3 fingers worth of khaki head. The cap slowly recedes holding with less than a finger of strength which is supported by nearly constantly rising bubbles. Patches of lace stick to the glass. When held to the light, a deep ruby clarity is seen through the body.

The aroma of this brew is pleasantly fruity with a deep pitted cherry scent that is lightly tart. More smells reveal a bit of bacterial funk and lactic character. Through the middle is a deep sweetness reminiscent of vanilla and barrel properties of oak. A little bit of burnt sugary sweetness almost like molassess is smelled all the way in the back. A light cheese and wild aspect come out as it warms. Collectively with the mixture of sweetness, vanilla and cherry this has a faint medicinal aspect about the way it smells but it is still very good.

For how crazy complex and enjoyable smelling this brew is, the first couple of sips are a bit one-noted. It is tart with a bit of unripe cherry flavoring that blends into a bit of brown sugar to toasted grain. Some barrel flavoring is present that is lightly spicy mixed with some mild wild notes of brett. The brew finishes quite crisp and dry with a toasty flavoring that pairs well with the fruity cherry quality.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a high level of carbonation. I say high carb but it is not overdone. It lightens the overall feel and makes it fairly easy drinking. The alcohol is very well integrated and only provides a mild warmth down the back of the throat. While this was a really enjoyable brew, I found the aroma to be the best aspect of it. I wish the flavor packed as much character as the aroma. If you haven't tried this yet, it is worth a shot.

3.5/5  rDev -17.5%