Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Inferno Ale | The Lost Abbey

YOUR RATING = None |
Inferno AleInferno Ale

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Corruption, Greed and Lust, they’re all represented on he books today. Tomorrow they’ll be stringing Gluttony, Desire and Sloth. Go ahead, tell yourself you’re better than all of them. But you can’t. Hell can be funny like that. Down here it’s all just sin. Everyone here is screwed just like you. They don’t care who you sliced, diced or cheated. No one is escaping this heinous place.

Your roommate is an axe murderer. Eerily, he’s not threatening. How can he be? The Fallen Angel owns your body, mind and soul. As such, no one can take your life. It’s already been taken. Or was it given? Neither matters. Did you seriously think you were living a virtuous life? At least Satan serves beer in Hell. He brews it himself right there in that flame stoked cauldron. Rumor has it the beer is straw yellow, bone dry and simply labeled Inferno.

Added by scottoale on 05-04-2008

Reviews: 348 | Ratings: 777
3.53/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled middle of 2010. Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Murky straw yellow with a robust white head which leaves extensive lacing.

S - Decidedly Belgian with a fruity ester component and a strong Belgian yeast aroma.

T - Belgian funk and a very sweet malt flavor profile. No hops detected.

M - Very rich in carbonation with a medium body.

Not my favorite of the style. Very sweet. Hides the alcohol well.

4.05/5  rDev +1%

750 ml corked bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a somewhat hazy, medium-golden color with an active, bright white head. Good retention on the head.

S: Bright fruitiness up front, with some interesting yeast character. A light bread note in the background. Very sweet overall.

T: Strong malt and fruity notes dominate. Yeast character is also quite noticeable. Only slightly bitter. Alcohol warms from start to finish.

M: Very nice feel with a medium-to-full body and a moderate carbonation level. A pleasant prickliness on the way down, as it finishes clean and quite dry.

D: A sipper that gets more mellow and complex with each sip.

Having not had many Belgian strong pales, this one was pretty damn solid. It was well-constructed and flavorful enough to hold my interest for the whole bottle (yes, I finished the entire bottle myself). Given my limited exposure to quality Belgian ales, I'd rate this as a decent stab at the style, and a pretty tasty one at that!

3.46/5  rDev -13.7%

I am seriously trying to get into Belgian beers. It is a hit or miss and this counts for both domestic and imported beers. After popping the cork and pouring into my snifter, it looked good but I was hoping for something less filtered. The smell was sweet and spicy but nothing special. The taste was a little better. I let it warm a bit and got a bit more spice but was not savoring every sip. I got bored with it pretty quick. The mouthfeel was pretty average. Nothing special. Overall this was good, but for a Belgian Strong Pale, I was left with my desires unsatisfied. The carbonation was there but did not clean the palate like I would have liked. The strong portions of the flavor stuck around a bit too long. Lost Abbey makes some good brews. Despite my warm buzz at the end of the entire bottle, I felt as if I was ripped off by the brewer. I'd rather have a Damnation or a Pranqster, which can be argued as a different classification. But for American brewed Belgian golden/pale ales, this one is not at the top of my list. However, many may think I am wrong.

4.27/5  rDev +6.5%

poured from bottle into tulip.
A - pale yellow, with a slight tinge of orange Nice carbonation, with a full 3/4 inch head with slight remnants of lacing
S - amazing, nice bready yeast with a slight smell of citrus notes. Makes me want to smell every time I take a sip.
T - solid, very pleasing. The smell is backed by the taste. Slight citrus peel, with a nice finish with an amazing yeast taste.
M - very light and easy to drink. The carbonation almost gives it a "dancin on the tongue" type of quality.
O - solid beer, not always a style I buy, but I am very happy to have had this beer

3.52/5  rDev -12.2%

No pop when opened.

The complexity of the aroma surprised me. I was expecting a muddled whiff. I got a clear breakdown of apple, pears, pepper, tartness, orange peel and yeasty. Overall this reminded me of La Fin Du Monde (which I love). But there was something about this beer that "bored" me. I didn't finish my share (8.5% is a lot for something you're not enjoying). I can't put my finger on the why. The taste was pleasant with a good mix of flavors. Somewhere it didn't all come together for me.

I think maybe it needs a food pairing instead of solo drinking.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Served in a 750 mL bottle into a chalice.

A: pours hazy, straw/orange color, with a 2 finger head, tightly beaded and very good lacing.

S: spicy Belgian yeast aroma with a slight indication of funk up front; combination of citrus, plums mixed with clovy spice.

T: The slight funk is evident in the first few sips. Interestingly chocolate and caramel follow, which was unexpected for a pale beer. Clove and coriander spice along with very slight estery fruit, and a dry finish.

M: viscous and sticky, but light body probably linked with higher effervescence and carbonation. Helps make this an easy drinker.

D: Another excellent example from this brewery, although as always watch your intake as it doesn't take much to push sobriety.

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a goblet. The appearance is a clear golden hue, with a frothy white head that sticks around. Some lacing.

The aroma is very citrusy, along with some slight grassy notes (presumably from the hop selection), and a whiff of spice, perhaps coriander?

The taste is as fruity as the aroma, most notably lemon, pear, and apricot. There is also a slight taste from the hops, grassy in my mind, also some malty notes in the very back of the background.

The mouthfeel is slightly chewy, although carbonated, and a slight bitterness lingers after I swallow.

This is quite a drinkable beer. There is a lot of flavor here, and is a great beer to linger upon. Highly recommended.

3.47/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from corked bottle. Straw yellow color, just as the labeling suggests. The head on this beer is as big as it gets.

Not much to the smell, and a very dry taste, but it works.

It's a solid beer. Nothing special.

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Thanks to Smason for sending me this in a trade.

Presentation: Poured from 750ml bomber into 2 Duvel tulip glasses. zdk9 and I shared this one.

A: Pours a beautiful golden yellow color with a huge 2-3 finger head with huge bubbles. Coats the glass pretty well with lacing as well. Nice bubbles creeping from the bottom.

S: Smell is extremely complex and in a great way. I get hops, fruity aromas, some spiciness like maybe coriander, perhaps bitter orange zest, bready yeast notes. Just very complex and awesome.

T: Taste follows what the nose indicates. Very complex all the way around. You can't find an aspect of this beer that's not balanced. It's superbly spicy, with hops to add a bitter component that doesn't linger, and sweetness to add another complex layer. It's all working in concert together to form a delicious beverage. There is some spicy fruit here, and a biscuity maltness to balance it all out well too. I have no complaints whatsoever. One of my favorites.

M: Carbonation is about perfect, weight is just right for the style, oilyness is right where I like it. It's also creamy. Would be hard to improve although not impossible.

D: I could drink it all night. It is never overpowering in any aspect so even with the high ABV I love it.

For me this was "the beer that started it all". I had always enjoyed beer quite highly but this pushed it to another level for me. I got it originally at the Pizza Port Bottle Shop as a recommendation from Sean and he probably has no clue to this day what he started but this was my first beer that night, and I finally got to have another. I will definitely trade for this again as it's my favorite BSPA that I know of. Better than Duvel for me because it's more spicy and less sweet.

Highly recommended.

4.85/5  rDev +20.9%

(reviewed from notes)

I live very close to San Diego and yet the only other Lost Abbey brew I'd tried before this one was their Red Barn Ale (an excellent saison). Well, where to begin...

No real need to break down this review into separate parts, as the beer scored near perfect in all aspects on the BA scale for me. The highlight would definitely be the taste. There is a wonderful spicy undercurrent that I enjoyed immensely.

Mouthfeel is also delightful; effervescent with perfect carbonation. Reminiscent of a very nice, carbonated holiday cider.

Overall a fantastic brew. Would seek it out for sure.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

Poured from the caged & corked 750ml into a 500ml goblet.

Fairly slow to foam up, a smallish white head builds atop the murkey golden colored body. Retention is decent, and leaves big gobs of lace in it's wake. Smell is dry and spicy. Floral, fops dominate with a touch of malt sweetness in the back ground. some yeasty profiles wisp through. Tast is much like the smell, with peppery dryness from the yeast taking a fore front in the mouth. A bit sweeter in the finish, but that doesn't last long as the hops quickly snuff out everything leaving only a desire for another sip. Mouthfeel is suprisingly light for 8.5% A.B.V.
Smooth and even a little watery with a prickly mouth tingling carbonation, it matches well with the flavors, and overall theme of this fine ale.

3.67/5  rDev -8.5%

This beer betrays the name bestowed upon it. Pours out clearly, very light and vibrant, with a citrus scent. However, It is not an inferno of taste, smell, or sight. A good Belgian, but not a great beer. The taste is fairly good, with a lot of background flavors. Lots of malt and hops, which is balanced out by the carbonation.

4.37/5  rDev +9%

I picked up this 750ml in Chicago at Binny's in the South Loop.

A: It poured sort of an opaque straw color. Head comprised of tiny bubbles and big. Head burns down to a thin layer that drops off a little lacing here and there.

S: Interesting stuff going on...I'm picking up spicy white pepper, bananas, and (I swear) pineapple.

T: More bananas but with coriander on the palate. With a nice smooth malty taste that border-lines on wheat.

M: Definitely full, slightly fluffy, but with a nice clean finish.

Very drinkable and tasty Belgian Strong .. it was sold to me as a "saison" and I see how it'd be pitched that way. Good stuff.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

750ml corked/caged. Poured into a Delirim tulip.

A: Dusky amber colored. 1" of finely packed bubbles, leaving wispy trails of lace.

S: Yeasty. Fruity. Slight spice.

T: Sweet fruit and caramel flavors, with some hop astringency at the end. The taste is difficult for me to describe, but it does remind me of both Duvel and Damnation in terms of flavor profile.

M: Creamy texture, very filling in the mouth. Rolls around nicely.

D: A very refreshing brew. Alcohol is hidden very well.

4.32/5  rDev +7.7%

720ml poured into a Samuel Smith tulip.

Appearance: orange straw yellow with thick, foamy white head and minimal lacing.

Aroma: citrus, honey, floral and cloves.

Flavor: alcoholic, caramel, honey and

Mouthfeel: champagne-esk. bubbly medium body with high carbonation.

Overall impression: high alcohol and tasty, this is a great beer!

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

750ml poured into a Westmalle Goblet.

A- Cloudy and golden. Head Is nice, doesn't lace much but is substantial, creamy and has nice retention.

S- Smells, Like a tripel. Pear, some coriander and a hint of banana... yeast is there if you look for it.

T- Very surprised with this beer. To date the best done Belgian style beer from any American brewery I have had. Has nice banana notes, some bitterness, and a little sour. Yeast is there, and the sour/bitter notes close the endeavor.

M- Perfect for the style medium and creamy. Good carbonation.

O- I really like this beer. It is American and it tastes Belgian, but it sells it self better than some belgys. I'm sitting over it smelling it, get a chimay white feel. It's there and it's good. In relation to it's relatives in Belgium, you can get better beers for a buck less; however, I found this beer hard to acquire and I really like it. It has it's own persona, but yet I taste Belgium.

I have had other Lost Abbey stuff and have been impressed by what was done, but those never really paid homage to the "Abbey" like this one has. I was looking for it, I found it, and it was worth it. Experience the west coast of America bring you a true flavor from Belgium.

3.68/5  rDev -8.2%

Really pretty straight forward. Nice notes of esters in the nose, some spice, light fruits, maybe a bit of candy or bubble gum but the hops really come through, not floral but rather stronger American hop notes of citrus. Nice tight fine carbonation with a lively head, good retention. Some bready malt notes that are overtaken by a combination of phenols and hop bitterness. Strong long lasting carbonation and a medium body are right in line and provide for good drinkability. There are many very solid beers in this style so it's a tough go. A good showing but not great.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 750 ml bottle. No born on date.

A - Straw yellow. Huge chunky head. Extremely carbonated from the looks of it. The lacing is abound, following the beer all the way down the glass.

S - Spicy, funky tangy. Sour apples, pears, hops.

T - Spicy and funky upfront with a very mellow hoppy finish. It tastes like half ripe oranges; citrus flavors and orange peel. Pears seem to be the prevalent taste, making for a tasty brew. Melons of some sort are also roaming around in here.

M - Fuzzy, medium body. Carbonation was a little over the top but it doesn't hurt the beer. Dry.

D - It's drinkable considering the ABV but you obviously wouldn't look to this for refreshment. Overall its very tasty and finishing the bottle was no problem.

3.71/5  rDev -7.5%

A - beautiful clear gold color with thick lasting foam. Lots of lace. Just beautiful.

S - even a foot from my nose I can smell the sweet pilsner malt. Getting my nose up in there, I can pick up some tart fruity aromas. Some musty corkiness. A bit of cardboard. Belgian phenolics.

T - Whoa. Alcohol. Hefty bitterness. More bitterness than a Belgian example. A bit too bitter in the aftertaste. Malty but not heavy. St. Bernardus-like phenolic profile.

M - not heavy like a Belgian should be. Lively carbonation as expected.

D - not bad. A bit too bitter for a belgian. I'm drinking it on it's own, so maybe with certain foods it could balance out.

This beer is beyond carbonated, the cork shot off as it was sitting on the table uncaged! As the label says, it pours a straw yellow with a gigantic undying white head, thick amounts of lace coat the glass on the way down. Citrus and other fruits lead the nose, as well as clove and a bit of the Belgian funk. The taste leads with semi-sweet malt on the nose, that fades into a banana and yeast, finishes with a pinch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, but it feels filling due to the carbonation. Honestly, I will try other Lost Abbey beers, this one just seemed rather plain jane.

4.41/5  rDev +10%

YOU WILL BURN IF YOU DON'T TRY THIS BEER!

Appearance: Pours a light-golden/yellow color, sort of like a thick grapefruit juice with a few bubbles rising to the surface. Has a huge three-finger head which seems to last forever! When it finally goes down, it leaves some foamy lacing behind.

Smell: Heavy on the citrus fruits (espcially orange and grapefruit) and hops. Has some caramel and sugar thrown in for good measure. It's a sweet smell with a bitter undertone.

Taste: The taste is very close to what the smell would lead to believe, it's heavy on the citrus and hops. The orange and grapefruit are predominant, with a little malt as well. A suttle, refreshing taste.

Mouthfeel: Not too heavy, with good carbonation that doesn't tingle. Aftertaste is similar to the actual taste with a little bit more bitterness.

Drinkability: This is an excellent strong ale that has a soothing, refreshing taste and feel. Drink this while relaxing after work, while watching tv, during a meal (especially chicken or meat), or any time you choose. A beer this good has no limit on when to enjoy it. Get some now.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Given to me as a Xmas gift from my girlfriend. Thanks, babe! Poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours straw-colored with decent head that doesn't linger, even in the tulip. Keeps its crown, though, and offers light to moderate lacing.

S: Pronounced citrus notes, along with a grassy aroma.

T: Mmm, tasty! The citrus notes come through in the taste, along with some funk. Hoppy bitterness comes through in the finish.

M: Light-medium bodied, with the carbonation helping to create a crisp feel.

D: Would definitely have again. I'm sorry it only comes in 750ml. Would love to have another 12oz or so to top off the bottle for the night.

3.93/5  rDev -2%

a. pours a cloudy copper/orange with short, white head of non-uniform bubbles that dissipates rapidly

s. effervescent, bitter-smelling, champagne

t. wheat, spicy (coriander?), dry finish is made of bitter hops, and can really taste water minerals

m. mouthfeel is light, slightly watery

d. very drinkable, perfect as a summer porch brew

this is a belgian-style pale, with emphasis on pale--the hops dominate the flavor, with little malt balance, missing that great fluffy floating head that i love so much

3.72/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a hazy/cloudy straw color (just like the label states). Has a nice 2-finger fluffy white head the soon turns into a thin layer and hovers a bit.

The scent is rather nice and mellow. A bit of fruit and a mostly banana scent. There's an underlying sweetness in the aroma and I can't place what it is. What I do know is that it's sweet and very enticing.

The taste is intriguing. First hit with a fist of hops that are quite resiny & spicy. A few sips in and the malt begins to show through as well as the clove/banana character. With the scent being so sweet I was expecting some heavy sweetness to pull through in the taste. That is not the case! (Not that it's bad!)

Medium bodied in the mouth with some light carbonation. It actually feels quite nice on the tongue. Finishes pretty dry and lures you in for further sips.

Drinkability? Coming in at 8.5% it's a powerhouse of a brew. Fairly easy to drink (if you enjoy hoppy beers) but should be careful of how much you imbibe.

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Cork Caged Bottle

A- Pours a nice golden yellow with a 3 cm fluffy head. After about 5 minutes the head dissipates.

S- Yum, a familiar fruity smell, not quite bananas, but fruity with a mild bitter note of hops. A bit of spicy floral notes also.

T - good. Familiar taste of biscuity yeasty warm flavors. A very mild sweetness and finish of slight bitterness to round it out. Aftertaste lingers with a taste of clean bitterness leaving you looking for the next sip to start over again. A very mild astringent effect waiting for the next sip. There might even be a very small amount of funk on the front end, but it is so mild it is hard to tell.

M - Not bad, but a little thinner than I like for a Belgian Strong Ale.

D- Easy to drink. Deceptive in that you would not know it is 8.5 % ABV. Well hidden with finshed dryness and mild hop flavor

Overall, a nice BSA. A little less than my favorite Belgian version, but nice indeed.

Inferno Ale from The Lost Abbey