Love Belgian Beer?

California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by John_M on 05-22-2008

Reviews: 218 | Ratings: 430

Wow. Truely deserving of a perfect 5. One of the best beers ever. Bought a bottle at Lost Abbey for my brothers birthday split between 3 people.

Pours a nice golden color with a thin tan head and nice lacing. Nice looking beer.

Wow. Aroma is amazing. Lots of sour funk but a good amount of Brett funk as well. Nice maltiness too.

Taste is awesome. Nice and sour but also balanced with a nice malty sweetness. Not too much sour but you know it's there for sure. Truely a perfect beer. Great funk from the Brett too.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry but with a nice malty sweet ness in the finish. Great carb.

Overall I am still wishing I could be drinking it. All of us wish we had another bottle or could drink it all night. Very deserving of my perfect 5. I reserve it for my faves and this one is a fave.

50th Review – This deserves something special
Bottle to snifter

From notes. Thank you Chris for making my GABF 2011 extra special! I was searching for this beer for quite some time and finally got my paws on it. Before consuming I was nervous it wouldn’t live up to the hype...

A: Golden hay. Like a sun rise of happiness. Almost no head (just a few bubbles) on a vigorous pour.

S: Old barn, period. Lots of funk coming off this one. Cobwebs. All good things though!

T: Straight-up sour from the get-go. Puckering almost. Actually, it is exactly that, quite puckering. However, this sourness is smoothly balanced by a beautiful acidic/tart finish. Dissipates quickly, but leaves you wanting more, more, more.

M: Light bodied. Soft carbonation. Just beautiful.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had! 5’s across the board hands-down. It was perfect! This was a true beer experience start to finish and everywhere in between. I enjoyed this beer as much as the hunt and looong wait. Overall, it is simply awesome - funky, delicious, and just plain fantastic. I am hopeful that collaborations like this will continue to grace us with their presence. This is a memory for the ages.

Well done Tomme, Sam, Vinnie, Adam, and Rob! Stand ovation for sure on this one.

Side note: Drinking this amongst the chaos at FRTH on Thursday afternoon of GABF week added to the overall enjoyment of the experience. Shooting a text to a good BA buddy in Denver and him dropping everything on his agenda for the afternoon to come try this treat was also fun. If you have the opportunity to seek this out, make it happen...in the end, it is well worth it. If you don't like it, just send the rest my way!

...After consuming I wanted more and lots of it. Definitely lived up to the hype and I can’t wait until our paths cross again sweet, sweet Izzy!

Pours a hazy golden color with a silky off-white head.

The nose starts off with tart tropical and citrus fruits and is followed by a good amount musky oak, baryard funk, white wine and aged French Cheese. Also in the mix are sweet candy malts, manure and spicy Belgian yeasts.

There are lots of fresh, sour fruit flavors up front along with chardonnay , olde cheese and lots of funky yeast. Superbly complex, perfect balance.

The crisp, yet full body has a delicate yet refreshing carbonated. Nice dry finish.

Fantastic stuff, from everyone involved. One the best sours in the world right now. Should age quite well.

Fresh and up until 2-3 years ago it was an amazing offering from DFH, LA, Allagash, RussiAn River, and Avery. Just well made.

Had my last bottle 2 weeks ago and it didn't hold up as I had hoped. It was good but very "woody" not oak, woody. nonetheless a great beer overall.

Appearance: Pours a hazy lemon-orange-pale-yellow-straw-chalk with an enormous head, a bit of a gusher but not too bad. Nice lacing. Lots of sediment in the bottle.

Smell: Amazing, sour & funky, but more sour and lemon citrus than funk. A nice citrus/lemon fruitiness, hint of strawberry or raspberry, pears and peaches, sour apples, oaky white wine and champagne,, faint honey, very faint leather/wool. Definitely a nice subtle french oak element, not overpowering or overbearing.

Taste: Once again, sour, tart and funky with lots of minerals, but more sour than funk. Hardly any vinegar in the taste or smell. Definitely a wine/champagne element. Perhaps a miso element.

Mouthfeel: Amazing, soft despite the carbonation. Very dry. It isn't imposing, but it definitely has some heft and body - but it carries them well and remains a delicate brew.

Drinkability: Exceedingly drinkable, I was very saddened to see this one end. This is a very intense beer (not in the darkness/dark lord way), but still extremely approachable and enjoyable

Cracked open in celebration for my birthday/anniversary with my boyfriend. Poured into 2 champagne flutes.

A: slightly hazy, beautifully dark straw to light gold in appearance.

S: oaky grape, lemon or citrus, orange sherbert, sweet grass, brett funk

T: delightful sourness that immediately encompasses the entire olfactory and taste system. salivation responds quickly and lingers. flavors of melon, citrus, wood, brett and lacto funk. lemony sourness lingers.

M: light bodied, dry, bright and refreshing

D: the hype machine of this beer has not disappointed! this beer is as stellar as they come. it is a brilliant collaboration between 5 of the most talented brewers today and I cannot name another beer that comes close to Isabelle. I also cannot imagine that this beer will get better with age... so drink 'em if ya got 'em!

4.99/5  rDev +9.9%

Enjoyed with great friends, including Mr.Arthur & Big Daddy
Nice yellow-golden color, some lacing from the small foam head but quickly gone and screaming drink me!
Smell is a lil barnyard funk, lemon, can't wait to taste.
Not acidic! Great mellow sour/tart some fruit in it. Its definetely mellowed in last couple of years. Really easy on finish. I dont pick up oxidation at all.
Perfect carbonation level, feel like I could drink whole bottle in two gulps.
Really lucky to share this with friends, definetely worth the hype, fantastic!

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Shared a 750ml bottle with Roberts at Falling Rock Tap House during my trip to Denver. Bar lighting so hard to exactly tell the color but looked to be cider or golden honey in color. It had a decent sized fizzy white head that quickly dissipated leaving some foam. Some carb and slight lacing.

It had a great sour aroma that got more intense as it warmed. This one is definitely top tier in sour aroma. Very solid. The taste was also exceptional. Had a great sour taste that was like a sour attack. It stopped just short of being too much so good balance. Mouthfeel was excellent with the tartness and the carb.

Overall, an exceptional beer that is worthy of the hype and top 100 status (at time of review). To be honest, I'd not been impressed with the Lost Abbey beers that I'd had up to this point so this was a great surprise. Highly, highly recommend. Can't wait to try it again.

Earned a permanent spot on my wants list.

Had again in bottle on 1/21/10. Better lighting so can tell the color now - very hazy golden yellow. Poured into a Duvel tulip so lots of carbonation from the etching and in general. Less lacing this time but did get a slight collar. The aroma and taste have faded a bit as this has now aged another year since my initial review but still damn tasty. Still a sour attack. Wouldn't mind a little funk in there as well. Still excellent and glad I got to try it again. Would still love to have another down the road. No change to the scores.

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

this was probably the best day for beer i have ever had in my life 1st is was Isabelle Proximus then Pliny the Younger

but for the prox hot damn was this beer good super funky and sour i could smell the bacteria oozing as gross as that sounds it was phenomenal huge lactic character with sour apples and lemons galore this tasted just like gueuze there notes of funk incredible i could drink this beer all day long one of the the best American sours i have ever had by far

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to bwyker for bringing this.

A:Nice hazy golden color with minimal white head. It actually did have some lacing.

S: Super funky. Tart and sour. This is a frontal assault on your nose. This beer is Germany and your nose in Poland.

T: Tart and sour. My mouth simply collapsed under the sour. Rotten fruit. The yeast pour at the end almost put me over the edge. Hints of fruit about but they too were crushed by the sour funk.

M: Very nice crisp mouthfeel. Dare I say refreshing?

D: God damn. What a wonderful beer. Hopefully more will be made one day. The cellar potential on this is off the charts. I don't even know if the flavors could get more intense though.

4.96/5  rDev +9.3%

Pour an unfiltered golden apricot color with white head that subsides quickly. Smell is apricots, lemon with lots of barnyard hay, grass, and funky dankness. Some slight barrel comes through. Very crisp without a high blue cheese factor. Taste is highly complex: Very tart and lemony with a high funk factor that meshes with a large barrel presence. Tart peaches and apricots with funky undertones throughout. Mouthfeel is slightly dry but full bodied. Overall one of the best and most complex beers I have had. Never had it fresh but it is still delicious. Seek it out if you can.

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

big shout out to Joel66 for busting this one out, thanks Joel!

lets get down to business, no one wants to read my ramblings except for me, so i'll keep it short ( or will I?)

Even though I am a self-proclaimed beer snob, i rarely take too much away from how a beer looks, whether it has legs, if its hazy or not and so forth. It looks like a dank beer

smell- outstanding, outstanding , outstanding. Sours are by far my favorite style and my expectations were extremely high. It smelled super funky, lots of farm type smells, leather, barnyard stink, grapes, maybe a little baby diarrhea (you know the smell im talking about) hay and a hint of nasty cheese, awesome stuff

i will say that for both the nose and the taste my beer vocabulary is not yet perfect so it cant quite identify some of the notes but im doing my best

taste- Wow, the best sour I have had. it was all farm type flavors, grapes, leather and EXTREMELY SOUR , complex as all hell. nice oak flavor, the singe that is typical with sours that usually fade throughout the sip was very prevalent throughout the palate and izzy was just a huge explosion of flavor. Each sip was better than the previous, thats all I can say.

Best sour I have had, I may be a precocious neophyte ( shout out to walt clyde for that one) when it comes to sours, but i know this is one of the true gems in the sour game.

Thanks Joel!

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Round 2 of a superb lineup for this evening. Thanks to goodspeed94 for bring this and FW12 to our little holiday tasting. We started with a 2007 Darkness and where he just wouldn't let me get my life on track, Isabelle was so much more kind... Took a break between the two in order to start browning a nice big pork butt, then back off to let it get its braise on.

Nice clean bone white head with big ass frothy bubbles exploding all around, which slowly fades away to nearly nothing. Shit this beer actually looks funky... with a lime, orange, almost aqua green color when held up to the light above. Away from the light it has that golden straw color to it a bit, but never loses that neon-green toxic look. This is a dirty sexy looking beer.

Who brought the funk, gotta have that funk... Man, really really really sour champagne, citric acid, tarty farty aromas going on here. Real sour in the way that you dream a great wild ale would be. I would say true to the style, but I am hard pressed to find others in this style so pungent. I mean I just browned the heck out of a 4.5 pound butt of pork and Isabelle is not phased at all. Just cuts right threw the visable layer of smoke in the kitchen. We were trying to describe what it might smell like, and the closest I could come was if my big golden lab got loose and ran through the woods in pouring rain for an hour... finally came back with shit and mud all over him... then took a bath in a puddle that had a bunch of lemon and lime juice. That sounds about right.

The taste seamlessly follows the smell. Funk, sour, stink cheese, Labrador nuts, lime juice... it bites the side of your tongue and won't let go. If you are not into sour funky beers this may give you a nose bleed... it doesn't try to be subtle. We tasted an Orval right afterwards (wanted more brett in our lives) and it was sort of disappointing. It is like the Morning Guy skit on Seinfeld. IP is Night Brett... out till the breaka breaka, doing who knows what with god knows who. Night Brett is out of his mind, completely reckless with no care in the world for Morning Brett. We opened up the bottle of Orval after and as always, Morning Brett got screwed from Night Brett. The taste buds where shot, any greatness that Morning Brett prepared was donkey punched the night before, left dulled and muted from the insane excitment that comes with hanging out with Night Brett.

I actually thought this was very drinkable. It was fresh and refreshing, leaving me wanting more. Which led to my emotional hangover, realizing, this is not something I will come across easy again. It will however make the rotation I have on top of my cabinet. I keep 5 bottles only (to hard and messy for me to keep them all) and only put a new one up if it knocks an old one off. It's my up-to-date top 5 list and Isabelle just bump and grinded her way up there.

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

From the last available bottle at Toronado SD... Thanks go to Chad, once again.

A: Luminescent yellow-gold, with more yeast clouding the beer toward the bottom. Thin, but persistent white head and traces of lacing.
S: Again, evolves as we got deeper into the bottle, and as the beer warmed. Notes of green apple, caramel, lemon peel, coriander, bubble gum, white pepper, and grain. Lovely, complex, and projected nose. Very expressive. Could smell this all day.
T: Lovely combination of full flavor but without excessive weight on the palate. Acidity is puckery, and clings to your teeth. Lemon, apple, vanilla, and some toasted gain. The aftertaste goes on loooonnng. Later, there are some hints of clove and banana.
M: Wonderful texture, combining acidity, concentration of flavor, and body.
D: Easy to drink, and not too heavy at 7%. Smooth.

One of the best beers I've ever had. Unique, idiosyncratic, and rare. All of those, even though I'm being redundant and repeating myself. Try one if you can get it.

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Absolutely awesome. IMHO, out Russian Rivered Russian River. I only planned on picking up a few, and ended up with a full allotment after trying an 8 oz glass.

Pours a clear golden orange. Some stray bubbles, but no head and very little carbonation. Strangely, the mouthfeel seems appropriate.

Smells like unripe apples, sour pears, and sour funk. Maybe some tart cherries/raspberries in there. The barnyard sourness is just wondrous. The oak background is definitely present, but more nuanced and subtle than other wild ales I've tried (translation: it doesn't bombard the crap out of you).

Now, I may be a bit biased, as I loved the three Russian River wild ales, La Folie Wood Aged, and gueuzes, but this was absolutely great. I could have drank a pitcherful, as it somehow never gets overwhelming despite the uber-strong flavor.

Lost Abbey does miss from time to time (particularly for the price), but this isn't one of them. Up there with their best, and perhaps my favorite of their brews. This is one example of the Beeradvocate scoring system somewhat skewing my true impression. I can't give a "6" for taste to balance out the appearance.

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to Adam (Loki83) for sharing this at my families new years party. This beer, pours a bright cloudy yellow tint, with a nice white head.

A - wow, funk, in a good way. The initial wiffs signal lemon peel, orange zest, and Brett funk. It's like Sacrification Pro.

T - amazing. The lemon peel tartness grabs mouth and gives it a powerslam. The funk is noticable with taste of Brett, dough, and it reminds me of a lemon cake under baked. Amazing, again.

M - the beer coats the mouth. The carbonation level is low, and could use more bubbles, but it is still very pleasant.

D - amazing. No alcohol noticed, the sourness is not off-putting. The funk is delicious and the lemon brings me back.

O - a great expirience. I am very glad to have tried this.

4.92/5  rDev +8.4%

Thanks to bwyker for bringing out his bottle.

A: Thin white head sitting atop a blonde body. Slightly cloudy.

S: TART pear and apples. The caps-lock on the 'tart' is not a mistake.

T: Super tart. Amazing flavor all around. Swishing it increases the tartness delightfully. The pear and the apples are back along with the crisp tartness. Good brett dustiness.

M: Thin but good.

D: Absolutely phenomenal.

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

06/07/09- Aquired in a trade with Younger35. Poured into my Orval tulip.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, caged and corked with a nice hologram type label. No freshness date, but an 2008 release.

Appearance- Deeper vibrant golden color pour. Creamy and lghtly frothy while the head sticks around longer than expected. Leaves some light lace spotting behind.

Smell- Awesome funk from the massive amount of brett. Barnyard for sure with a bit of urine, wet rotting hay and some tart lemon rind.

Taste- Think of Sacntification from RR, but with a bit more of a kick and also more intense flavor. Quite sour, but in a very refreshing way. A wee bit of confectioniers sugar to slightly balance it out. Tons of tart lemon rind with the sour juice included. Brett out the wazoo.

Mouthfeel- Slight bit too much carbonation, while it does reamin a bit creamy with a lovely sour aftertaste.

Drinkability- This was one damn incredible beer. A top 5 beer for me all time. Hands down the best wile ale I have had. I've had some that come very close (Beatification, Supplication and the Cuvee de Tomme which I also had at the same tasting), but this one takes the case for overall flavor and drinkability. Easilly worth the $30 it was going for when it first came out. One of the few beers I would have do problem dropping the money on.

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to sean for sharing this, been waiting a long time for this beer.

A- Hazy orange color, no lacing or retention. Looks sublime.

S- Wow! lots of funk, fruit citrus. Reminds me of a Cuvee des Champions. Amazing nose.

T- Funky grapefruit, citrus. If you didnt tell me, i would think this is a true lambic.

M- light and fluffy.

O- Liquid Fellatio

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Opened at our TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Thanks to CurtisMcArthur for sharing this.

Pours a translucent golden orange, touch of a head.

Smells of sweet fruit--peaches maybe--and lots of acidity and funk.

Taste is very funky and very sweet at the same time, complex bouquet of fruit--berries and peaches and apples, sweet but also very tart, a touch of cheese, this is acidic but not very dry. Absolutely delicious and very complex.

Best beer of the night in a lineup that also included Duck Duck, Blauw, SHBRL, Deviation, SNR 10, etc etc. Probably the best American sour I've had.

9.8/10

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

I did not expect this one at all. I went to 155 Mata Way and stumbled upon the fact that they have some great vintage beers. I decided this would be the best way I could experience this one so I bought a bottle to enjoy at the brewery. The only vintage, poured 7-9-10 into their stem/snifter type glass.

A: A vibrant orange yellow goldish color, it started off fairly clear but the last pour was very cloudy. This beer is actually pretty bright, and actually surprised me. One finger of foamy white head.

S: Very sour smell. Sour lemons, granny smith apples and a large amount of funk. I can't wait to try this and I can't believe the opportunity fell to me like this.

T: Let down? This absolutely is not one! A strong up front sour...like kind of made my forehead sweat type of sour. Though it was making me sweat, it wasn't overpowering the other aspects at all. Lemons play out the sour and are followed up by green apples and a nice soft taste of peaches. This beer is amazing and it sucks that it will probably be the last time I get to try it.

M: Great carbonation and dry. It leaves me wanting more.

D: I enjoyed the bottle for almost two hours (along with a couple other brews) and I would have loved more of it. This beer actually made my mouth water(and face) and I wish there was more. Great beer in every way. A white whale that absolutely lives up to the hype!

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%

Grabbed this one from the Sinner;s relase when it came out and have not had the chance to try it yet. I decided to pop the top off it tonight and give it a go and I am glad that I did. Served at cellar temp and consumed via a snifter on 08/28/2008.

The pour was very nice, extremely hazy golden amber color greated me as I opened the bottle. A nice head, maybe an inch and a half in height the came up over the top and settled down to a broken layer across the top and some light side glass lace. Lots of sediment on the bottom and floating around in the glass.

The aroma, shit I do not even know how to put this in words. Super Brett Overload would be good, others might say perfect. This was just tremendously good. Super sour and funky in every sense of the word. Just compeltly blowing apart the senses. The flavor was more of the same. Just rediculous amounts of super funky and sour notes that were just layered on top of each other. Lots of funky Brett an light fruit notes. Hints of pear and peac, but just retarded bitter. This is the most bitter ale I have ever encountered. Awesome body on this one as well, medium with delicate carbonation and a rich sultry feel that was just friggin unreal. A sipper not due to the ABV but the huge sourness of it. Nearly impossible to take a large sip, but why would you want to.

This was just awesome. Super bitter, nice hints of pears and some light cherry almost. Rich, complex, just wonderful. Lost Abbey pulls off anothero ne with this gem. I dont care about 30 bucks a bottle, I would get more in a heartbeat. One of the best beers i have had period.

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%

Review 350, 1000 points, bottle supplied by a very special lady, funny how these things work out.

A- Isabelle looks great for a barrel aged sour/gueze/wild, whatever you want to call it. The liquid has a bright golden look with some yellow within. A nice sized white foamy head rised up before simmering down, leaving sparse lace. Some yeast clouding things towards the end.

S- I could smell this forever, it's that inviting, if your into the style. I get the expected brett with some lacto giving off some acidity to it. This is for sure funky. Lemon zest is up front with some sour apples and grape. Some leather and wood from the barrel. Moldy cheese and feet.

T- Proxy tastes great and nails whatever style the 5 brewers were going for, im going to say a form of gueze. The brett/lacto shines and gives off the funk with some tartness. Sour as well, but not a lou pepe amount of it. Behind that some barnyard creeps in with old cheese. The main taste I come up with is fresh lemon slices. Some green apple and leather rounding things up.

M- Sour, but not overbearing, enough to keep me ammused. Light bodied with a good amount of carbonation felt on the tounge that makes it crisp and oh so refreshing. The citrus qualities stay for a bit afterwards and im not complaining. Not the most balanced sour out there but that's expected with 5 different blends within.

D- I love Isabelle and would marry her. The drinkability on this is up there although I took my sweet old time getting to know her. Small sips are the only way to achieve this and any more would of hindered our relationship. I probably wont get another shot at this one but at least I can stare at the empty bottle and reminise on our past fling. Worthy of all the hype and accolades, Top notch!

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%

Pours a hazy light golden orange with thin white head - a beautiful geuze.
Complex aromas of peach, apple, orange, strawberry, tart cherries, citrus, tropical fruits, barnyard funk, and slight spiciness.
I can't think of how to put into words how amazingly awesome this beer tastes. It's simply a perfectly balanced, blended Geuze - better than any of the Belgian Geuzes I've ever had. Is so incredibly complex with just the right amount of tartness and funk mixed in with just the right amount of oak from the barrels. So, so delicious! All the flavors just dance around in my mouth and the tartness prickles my tongue - perfect mouthfeel. To this date, this is my all time favorite beer and I'm so glad I have 2 left for strictly special occasions.

4.87/5  rDev +7.3%

750 ml corked and caged bottle generously picked up for me by seaoflament, thanks a lot buddy for doing me a favor, the cost of this bad boy was thirty dollars but well worth it in my opinion, celebrated graduating from business school with an MBA with this one last night, split with my mom and dad, poured into my St. Feuillien snifter

A-Bright golden yellow color, frothy and bubbly white head that was over an inch, did not go anywhere for a while which was weird because there was so much carbonation, nice retention, minimal lacing

S-Brettanomyces, peaches, lemons, funkiness, salt, Belgian yeast, oak, kiwi, strawberries, cheese, oranges, horse blanket, honey, whole grains, musty aromas, and sour apples

T-Taste was very acidic right from the start, extremely sour, big citrus flavor up front, along with some peche that was most likely from Dogfish Head's addition of their Festina, Russian River's brew also has a big influence most likely because I recognize that distinct sourness that all of their barrel aged beers have, this beer got more citrusy as time went on, finish became dryer like most gueuzes do, oak was strong in the aftertaste and made it even more dry, became more fruity as it warmed and the tartiness settled down a little bit but still definitely there, this one had it all and every sip was different, gold in sour beer form

M-Funky, sour, dry, and fruity mouthfeel, body was thin to medium in thickness, taste lingered forever and I was not complaining, tons of carbonation but not too much, feel was aggressive and popping

D-Could have drank this bottle by myself, alcohol is hidden, ABV is fairly high for its style at seven percent, light on the stomach though and not too sour, keeps you coming back for more consistently

I knew this beer would be good if five of the craft beer world's best brewers were part of it, Tomme Arthur is a brewing genius, I will go out on a limb and say it was the best gueuze I have ever had, funny to hear that the beers by themselves were not great but when the five were blended it became a masterpiece, wish I had more of this stuff, will be drinking more at the Stone Sour Fest on Sunday for sure, this one will only get better with complexity over time, would drink more right now if I had it, highly recommended

Isabelle Proximus from The Lost Abbey