Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by John_M on 05-22-2008

Reviews: 218 | Ratings: 430
4.75/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was my first sour and I was expecting it to be awful. Then I realised that I had tasted beers that were sour, but were not 'a' sour. It was delicious and I wanted more. I loved it but hard to know how good it was when I didn't have anything to compare.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I never thought that I would review this beer Thanks Rick,

The 5 different breweries nailed the color on this one, the smell is full on sour but amazing, the taste is just amazing amazing subtle sourness, so drinkable that it does not make since. The nose alludes to something so sour that small amounts is all you could drink but this is super quaffable. You should never end a sentence with a preposition folks, it's just amazing. Happy days.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to Duffy and Kyle for sharing this at the JLindros Birthday Whale Tasting. Reviewed from notes.

A - Poured into a Kate the Great tulip a hazy golden hue with no real head to speak of, just a like halo and thin clouds.

S - Nose explodes with super funky and tart fruits. Light peach, lots of granny smith apples, light malts along with a light must too.

T - Taste is equally as awesome. Super tart apples, very funky wild bready malts. Getting an almost earthy/mushroom flavour towards the end too. Musty, juicy, acidic oh my!

M - Mouthfeel is very nicely carbonated, lightly flemmy and acidic, a little lighter bodied. SUPER drinkable though.

O - Overall, this is a damn fine beer. Cant believe I got to try this one. Thanks fellas!

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

Opened at our TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Thanks to CurtisMcArthur for sharing this.

Pours a translucent golden orange, touch of a head.

Smells of sweet fruit--peaches maybe--and lots of acidity and funk.

Taste is very funky and very sweet at the same time, complex bouquet of fruit--berries and peaches and apples, sweet but also very tart, a touch of cheese, this is acidic but not very dry. Absolutely delicious and very complex.

Best beer of the night in a lineup that also included Duck Duck, Blauw, SHBRL, Deviation, SNR 10, etc etc. Probably the best American sour I've had.

9.8/10

4.51/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Shared at my Birthday whale tasting. Big thanks to Duffy and Kyle for sharing this baby. This has been at the top of my list of wants for a very long time.

Pours with pretty much no head as expected, hazy blonde orange peach color.

Nose has great sour fruit, sour peach and nectarine like, hint of funk and tartness, light malt coming through, light bready yeasty and acidic bite, light vinous grape skin, musty even.

Taste brings plenty of sour fruit, tart as hell!, golden malts, a sour peach nectarine kinda fruit with even a hint of citrus, as well as more vinous grape skin, musty as well, a bit wild funky bready malt, and just a bit of grassy funk. Sour vinegary flavor, acetic acid, but juicy and drinkable.

Mouth is lighter bodied, but decent carb, little flemmy, acidic.

Overall very good, awesome sour, almost as good as it can get for a straight up American sour.

4.32/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Is this real life... HimerMan is the man.

Pours a light light golden orange color with some initial white foam that receded almost instantly.

Aromas ebgin with mellow funk, dry citrus rind and white grape skins. The you get some more stone fruit, granny smith apple skins and wet hay from the bretty yeast.

The tastes follow the aromas to a tee with the mellow earthy funk, vinous white grape skins and dry citrus flavors. There is some emerging acedic acid, oak and peach hints as it warms. None of the fruit induced flavors really pop which makes me think I would have liked this a year or so back but it is still quite amazing.

Mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium to low carbonation. Finish is pleasantly funky, dry and medium/high on the sour index.

Overall this is one of the best American Wild Ales I have had to date. It semi-resembles a Gueuze, which I enjoy but aren't my favorite style of sour/wild ales. Regardless this was phenomenal and I am gracious that I was able to sample it.

4.94/5  rDev +8.8%

big shout out to Joel66 for busting this one out, thanks Joel!

lets get down to business, no one wants to read my ramblings except for me, so i'll keep it short ( or will I?)

Even though I am a self-proclaimed beer snob, i rarely take too much away from how a beer looks, whether it has legs, if its hazy or not and so forth. It looks like a dank beer

smell- outstanding, outstanding , outstanding. Sours are by far my favorite style and my expectations were extremely high. It smelled super funky, lots of farm type smells, leather, barnyard stink, grapes, maybe a little baby diarrhea (you know the smell im talking about) hay and a hint of nasty cheese, awesome stuff

i will say that for both the nose and the taste my beer vocabulary is not yet perfect so it cant quite identify some of the notes but im doing my best

taste- Wow, the best sour I have had. it was all farm type flavors, grapes, leather and EXTREMELY SOUR , complex as all hell. nice oak flavor, the singe that is typical with sours that usually fade throughout the sip was very prevalent throughout the palate and izzy was just a huge explosion of flavor. Each sip was better than the previous, thats all I can say.

Best sour I have had, I may be a precocious neophyte ( shout out to walt clyde for that one) when it comes to sours, but i know this is one of the true gems in the sour game.

Thanks Joel!

4.76/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Popped open izzy with a couple great BA's

Poured a murky amber with a light pink Hugh

Nose was over ripe citrus and cabernet sauvignon

Taste was filled with grape, grape skin, granny smith apples and barnyard funk.

Very light mouthfeel, smooth with a dry finish.

I didn't expect much based on recent reviews stating izzy was past her prime. I could not disagree more. This has aged perfectly and was wonderful. Very happy that I have more!

4.78/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewing the infamous Isabelle Proximus. This Lost Abbey release is a collaboration blend of barrel aged beers made by The Lost Abbey, Russian River Brewing Company, Avery Brewing Company, the Dogfish Head Craft Brewery and Allagash Brewing Company. Thank you Paul for sharing this marvelous treat.

Score: 97

2008 vintage bottle. Served in a Cantillon stemmed balloon glass and enjoyed on 11/16/13. Review is from iPhone notes.

Appearance: Pours a nice orange-yellow color with just under a finger of head that settles to a foggy cap atop the brew. Good lacing, great retention. 4.75/5

Smell: Oak/wood, dank lemon, hint of mildew mustiness, and then comes the peach. The nose starts out a little funky and then the fruit comes out to make a nice, balanced medley. 4.75/5

Taste: Wet wood, peach, and a musty funk that is not overpowering. Lemon backbone. The fruit character is not fresh, but it is kind of "dank" and quite interesting. I remember a more robust/fresh peach flavor and less funk when I had this a year or so ago, but it is still drinking marvelously. 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, spot on carbonation. Excellent tartness with a light sweetness and pleasant funk to help balance out the sourness. Not as dry or sour as Deviation. Really lovely mouthfeel. 5/5

Overall: It was a nice treat to get to revisit this beer as my appreciation for sours has grown and Izzy has further developed in the bottle. Memory is not the best point of relativity considering that tastes develop and details fade as time passes, but I recall liking this fresher. Nonetheless, this is still one of the finest examples of just how good an American-made wild ale can be, and it completely stacks up against some of the more renown and respected Belgian sours out there.

Cost: $30 for a 750 ml bottle (good luck finding it at that price these days).

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

The beer is a dull, medium gold. Good luster. A touch hazy. Little to no head, just a few bubbles form on the pour. The aroma is complex and rich, and I love it. Funk and age. Lemons, apricot skin, some lacto. Some vinegar. Solid funk, more lambic-ish than the vast majority of American sours. Taste is fairly tart. A bit more age shows but it’s holding together quite well. Low carbonation. Some pucker. Medium body for a sour.

4.26/5  rDev -6.2%

Had this monster side by side with Veritas 004 Dec 2012.

I wont be going into extreme detail since all tasting notes can be reviewed below but I can tell you that the nose and taste is fantastic. This beer can last much longer and as an american sour, it is as close as one can get to lambic/gueuze. Beautiful golden color, amazing fluffy head, if you can have a beer always look like this... it would be perfection. Grapefruit notes on the palate. IP + V004 blend is amazing do to what I felt was better mouthfeel and carb on the IP.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Unimaginable thanks to metalgdog for bringing this to a tasting...

A: Pours a light lemony gold with a small amount of thin pure white head.

S: The nose is intensely sour, with citrus and barnyard funk. Smells great.

T: I get a lot of tartness right off the bat, with some apricot and apple skin notes coming through in the middle. My buds are puckered to their max as the funk starts to really take hold. This beer is delicious.

M: Light bodied beer. It's super tart, a bit drying, but it finishes with great flavor and funk.

O: I'm thoroughly impressed with this beer. It has all the hype in the world, and it truly delivers. I'm still in a bit of shock that I got a chance to try it.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a snifter. Reviewed from notes.

Appearance - Golden orange. Small white head and a collar of white bubbles.

Smell - Acidic. A touch of vinegar, but otherwise more of a light fruit acidity. Like an apricot.

Taste - Much fruitier. Very nice acidity. Apricot fruits. White wine. A touch of vinegar sourness coming in the back, but that's to be expected at this bottle's age. Clean sour.

Mouthfeel - Light with a nice white wine finish. Excellent and easy to drink.

Overall - Really good, especially for what I can ascertain is an unfruited sour. Retains a great deal of flavor without adjuncts, which is impressive for an American sour. Good wine flavors, but the vinegar is a minor detractor.

4.05/5  rDev -10.8%

750 ml bottle into several glasses. HUGE thanks go to Stakem for finally helping me right a wrong with this beer from a few years ago.

Pours a hazed grapefruit color in the glass, topped with thin foamy layer of bright-white head. This mostly retains with some frothy edging, leaving back a moderately robust cascade of lace that slowly drips down the sides of the glass. The aroma is a mélange of tart lemon, tropical fruit, earth, oak and funk. The lemon is very strong in this and you kind of have to dig deep to get the rest.

The taste is similar, with lemon, oak, earth and funk all standing out. Like the nose, that lemon tartness is fairly strong. Slight acidity hangs on the edges. The finish is dry and oaky with more lingering acidic notes. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller bodied, with a chewy creaminess to the carbonation that sits with some heft in the mouth. That 7% is well hid overall though.

This was good for me but not great. I liked the complexity but all of that tartness and eventually acidity just go to be a bit too intrusive on the other flavors at times. I think this one has maybe already crested the hill? I’m not sure but I am very grateful to Adam for finally helping me try this. Thanks again man!

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

A recent gathering of friends prompted me to open this. 750ml bottle poured into a matching Lost Abbey teku and some snifters. The brew appears a clear golden color that gets increasingly hazed as you approach the bottom of the bottle. A thin whisp of head sits atop. A swirl revives less than a finger of white film.

The aroma opens up with lemon and oak. Quite a bit of barnyard brett quality is present giving a layering of earth to the nose. Some citrus fruits minorly tropical evolve along with a hint of cork and wet leather. There is a bit of cheesy quality present that adds a nice depth without distracting. As it warms up, it gets progressively more tropical and lemony.

The taste is tart with fruity quality like lemon that turns earthy and leathery with a hint of cork and mildly musty oak. More sips reveal hints of earth along with more lemony pulp, pith and rindy bitterness. As the glass is emptied, and a second pour is taken that includes some yeast, it gets more yogurt-like with tartness and less acidic.

This is a medium bodied brew with a modest amount of carbonation. I found it to be excessively drinkable to the point where I didnt want to take notes and review this but instead just relax and enjoy it. Leading up to this experience ive seen/heard all sorts of crazed messages regarding the story behind this beer being better than the brew itself. And ive heard that it is dropping off and over the hill. By all accounts, I found this brew to be exceptional with a wide array of complexity and ease of drinkability. I would not hesitate to partake in this again if the oportunity presented itself. However, at this stage of the game it might be a real hassel to acquire this brew.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

thar she blows! tried this like 3-4 years ago but never reviewed it, i do not think i was even reviewing back then. so, finally.... i get to tag this one.

poured a light golden yellow with light white head.

nose was fruity, complex, light sour lemon with blends of citrus.

pretty tart up front, complex fruits with ample sourness. light oak through out. very gueuze like although a bit sweeter. some cheese deep in the back. fruity finish.

light carbonation, sticky and sweet. semi dry finish.

overall, blown away. exceeded all my expectations.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to StandardCherry for cracking this whale for his going away tasting tonigh. 1st bottle tried during tasting and only one I am reviewing. 750ml bottle split 4 ways, poured into HF tulip.

A- Pours a hazy golden with a thin layer of white head that recedes to leave virtually no head at all. Not too much carbonation or too much in terms of lacing. The hazy golden aspect of it makes it look very appealing for a sour though. Lots of very hazy golden yeast towards the bottom of the bottle.

S- Very sour, maybe some sour citrus in there, yeast, definitely some oak in there (one BA said it almost had a slight nutty aroma from the oak- not sure if I quite agree, but definitely has a noticeable presence). More of a sweet sour, then a funky sour- probably one of the more sour beers I've smelled, but definitely not one of the funkiest. Definitely one of the most aromatic beers I've encountered- could smell from across the room, especially when pouring.

T- Sour citrus, a little bit of funky cheese on the finish, some light oak, finishes with a lightly sour citrus with a mild acidity and an aftertaste that makes you crave more (the mark I look for in a good sour). All the tastes were well balanced and and overall pleasurable to drink. Definitely a little bit more funk then in the aroma.

M- Medium bodied, light carbonation, very easy to drink, very nice feel for a 4 year old sour.

O- This is without a doubt one of the best sours I've had. It was definitely the unanimous favorite of the night even when compared to Lente. One of the more sour beers I've encountered and definitely one of the most enjoyable sours I've had. I'm definitely glad I tried this, just wish it was more attainable so I could have it in the future. Thanks again standardcherry for sharing.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Huge thanks to "Chris Molken" for bringing this to the Lost Abbey tasting.

Beer pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head. Smell is noticeably more funky than anything else we've had today along with some oak and sour aromas. Of all the Lost Abbey sours this one is, by far, the most like a Belgian lambic - it actually reminds me a lot of Girardin Gueuze, but a little bit sweeter. It's got a bit of lactic flavor up front but finishes out with a good amount of oak and funk. It's nice and sour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation and a great bit of mouth-coating sourness. Overall, this beer is super tasty, but it's a bit of a let-down given the hype. It lacks that certain "something" that I hoped for. It was certainly worth tasting, but going forward I'd seek out Girardin Gueuze instead.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

This is the 2nd of 2 Chris Molkein bottles. Thanks, Ryan! Poured into my mini snifter.

A - Light golden hazyness with some brown tones. A bit of carbonation in the pour and recedes quickly.

S - Wow. Very slight grapefruit and a good amount of sour lemon on the nose. A mild amount of funkiness on it.

T - Very nice. Light to medium lemon acidity that hits the front of the tongue powerfully and gets to the back ends of the tongue.

M - Drinks very well. Still that light spritz in the beer that pairs with the acidity well.

O - Still a damn great beer. One of those holy grail American sour beers. Now, did they let Calagiones part into the beer or not? ;-)

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%

Yet another beer at Sour and Bitter that I never thought I would get to try. Poured into my stemless wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with an amber hue. There is hardly any head at all.

Smell: Sweet and quite tart, some mild funk and citrus peel notes. I'm getting some warm alcohol in the finish.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell would indicate. Some gueuze like fink with a citrus peel tartness. The finish is funky and sour. The sweet and sour notes play together perfectly.

Mouthfeel: Medium body but not heavy at all. Mild carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: This beer is fantastic. Perfect level of tartness with enough sweet malt to back it up. I would love to have some more in the future.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

From 04/14/12 notes. Big thanks to Darrel for sharing this one at our DC Sour Tasting. Tried side by side with Synergy, Yellow Bus, and DDG.

a - Pours a bright murky yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour fruits, funk, cheese, oak, sour grapes, lemon, citrus, and apples. Super sour and funky, just a perfect nose.

t - Tastes of funk, cheese, barnyard and earthy notes, oak, sour fruits, lightly sweet fruits, citrus, lemon, sour apples and grapes, floral notes. Even funkier then the nose, and even better.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very crisp and easy to drink.

o - Overall this was one of the top 2 or 3 sours at the tasting and one of the best I've ever had; it slightly edged out DDG and was much better then Yellow Bus and Synergy. I thought it was much funkier then DDG, which was more fruit forward. Awesome funky wild ale; just an amazing beer.

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%

What a way to cap off my CA trip! Big thanks to Eric for tipping me off that Toronado SD had a bottle left. Shared at the bar with blatantdream -- we went whale hunting and ended up harpooning a serpent!

Pours golden with zero head. Other gueuze do look like this, but many of those have the requisite beer geek qualities needed to earn top marks. Screw that though, I can smell it from here!

Strong, pungent aroma right off the bat. Funky, tart, sour, acidic fruit at every turn. Dry with citrus. A little metallic, which obviously detracts from the experience. Unfortunately, all of these aromas start to fade after about 15-20 minutes.

Taste is very tart and acidic up front. Slightly metallic. Puckering sourness that lasts through the aftertaste. Good carbonation level. A well-refined American sour that's aged nicely, although I suspect its best days are behind it. Drink up, people!

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank this 7.21.11

Smallish head fades quickly. No lacing.
Light orange body.

Fruity nose. Can't put finger on exactly which though. Slightly funky and definitely sour. Very complex. Spicy notes from the oak too.

Fruity and funky with a good bit of sour too. Oak is also present. Long sour finish. Lemony too.

Minimal carbonation in the mouthfeel.

Great beer. Very polished. Glad I was able to get my hands on one.

50th Review – This deserves something special
Bottle to snifter

From notes. Thank you Chris for making my GABF 2011 extra special! I was searching for this beer for quite some time and finally got my paws on it. Before consuming I was nervous it wouldn’t live up to the hype...

A: Golden hay. Like a sun rise of happiness. Almost no head (just a few bubbles) on a vigorous pour.

S: Old barn, period. Lots of funk coming off this one. Cobwebs. All good things though!

T: Straight-up sour from the get-go. Puckering almost. Actually, it is exactly that, quite puckering. However, this sourness is smoothly balanced by a beautiful acidic/tart finish. Dissipates quickly, but leaves you wanting more, more, more.

M: Light bodied. Soft carbonation. Just beautiful.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had! 5’s across the board hands-down. It was perfect! This was a true beer experience start to finish and everywhere in between. I enjoyed this beer as much as the hunt and looong wait. Overall, it is simply awesome - funky, delicious, and just plain fantastic. I am hopeful that collaborations like this will continue to grace us with their presence. This is a memory for the ages.

Well done Tomme, Sam, Vinnie, Adam, and Rob! Stand ovation for sure on this one.

Side note: Drinking this amongst the chaos at FRTH on Thursday afternoon of GABF week added to the overall enjoyment of the experience. Shooting a text to a good BA buddy in Denver and him dropping everything on his agenda for the afternoon to come try this treat was also fun. If you have the opportunity to seek this out, make it happen...in the end, it is well worth it. If you don't like it, just send the rest my way!

...After consuming I wanted more and lots of it. Definitely lived up to the hype and I can’t wait until our paths cross again sweet, sweet Izzy!

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a hazy straw yellow with a pretty small head on it

S - lots of sweet fruits (pears, lemon, orange, peach) with a bit of funk going on as well. Nice aromas, definitely on the fruitier side.

T - Lots of citric lemon upfront (think AWA sourness). This fades to a little bit of funk through the middle, which is ultimately overwhelmed by soft fruits as detected on the nose. There was also a faint bitterness on the finish.

M - medium body with decent carbonation (looks like Lost Abbey had to recruit some other brewers to get some carbonation in this one)

D - this is the best American Wild I have tried to date. It was sour, yet tame at the same time. Doesn't have the acidity that a Cantillon, 3F, etc Gueuze has, but I think that really helps this beer a lot as the soft fruits get to really shine in the citric acidity's absence. I can see why this is so highly sought after, and I would argue worth the hunt if you are looking for one of the best sours on this side of the Atlantic.

Isabelle Proximus from The Lost Abbey