Isabelle Proximus | The Lost Abbey

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by John_M on 05-22-2008

Reviews: 218 | Ratings: 430
4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

thar she blows! tried this like 3-4 years ago but never reviewed it, i do not think i was even reviewing back then. so, finally.... i get to tag this one.

poured a light golden yellow with light white head.

nose was fruity, complex, light sour lemon with blends of citrus.

pretty tart up front, complex fruits with ample sourness. light oak through out. very gueuze like although a bit sweeter. some cheese deep in the back. fruity finish.

light carbonation, sticky and sweet. semi dry finish.

overall, blown away. exceeded all my expectations.

4.59/5  rDev +1.1%

Thanks to StandardCherry for cracking this whale for his going away tasting tonigh. 1st bottle tried during tasting and only one I am reviewing. 750ml bottle split 4 ways, poured into HF tulip.

A- Pours a hazy golden with a thin layer of white head that recedes to leave virtually no head at all. Not too much carbonation or too much in terms of lacing. The hazy golden aspect of it makes it look very appealing for a sour though. Lots of very hazy golden yeast towards the bottom of the bottle.

S- Very sour, maybe some sour citrus in there, yeast, definitely some oak in there (one BA said it almost had a slight nutty aroma from the oak- not sure if I quite agree, but definitely has a noticeable presence). More of a sweet sour, then a funky sour- probably one of the more sour beers I've smelled, but definitely not one of the funkiest. Definitely one of the most aromatic beers I've encountered- could smell from across the room, especially when pouring.

T- Sour citrus, a little bit of funky cheese on the finish, some light oak, finishes with a lightly sour citrus with a mild acidity and an aftertaste that makes you crave more (the mark I look for in a good sour). All the tastes were well balanced and and overall pleasurable to drink. Definitely a little bit more funk then in the aroma.

M- Medium bodied, light carbonation, very easy to drink, very nice feel for a 4 year old sour.

O- This is without a doubt one of the best sours I've had. It was definitely the unanimous favorite of the night even when compared to Lente. One of the more sour beers I've encountered and definitely one of the most enjoyable sours I've had. I'm definitely glad I tried this, just wish it was more attainable so I could have it in the future. Thanks again standardcherry for sharing.

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Huge thanks to "Chris Molken" for bringing this to the Lost Abbey tasting.

Beer pours a hazy golden color with a thin white head. Smell is noticeably more funky than anything else we've had today along with some oak and sour aromas. Of all the Lost Abbey sours this one is, by far, the most like a Belgian lambic - it actually reminds me a lot of Girardin Gueuze, but a little bit sweeter. It's got a bit of lactic flavor up front but finishes out with a good amount of oak and funk. It's nice and sour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with nice carbonation and a great bit of mouth-coating sourness. Overall, this beer is super tasty, but it's a bit of a let-down given the hype. It lacks that certain "something" that I hoped for. It was certainly worth tasting, but going forward I'd seek out Girardin Gueuze instead.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

This is the 2nd of 2 Chris Molkein bottles. Thanks, Ryan! Poured into my mini snifter.

A - Light golden hazyness with some brown tones. A bit of carbonation in the pour and recedes quickly.

S - Wow. Very slight grapefruit and a good amount of sour lemon on the nose. A mild amount of funkiness on it.

T - Very nice. Light to medium lemon acidity that hits the front of the tongue powerfully and gets to the back ends of the tongue.

M - Drinks very well. Still that light spritz in the beer that pairs with the acidity well.

O - Still a damn great beer. One of those holy grail American sour beers. Now, did they let Calagiones part into the beer or not? ;-)

4.62/5  rDev +1.8%

Yet another beer at Sour and Bitter that I never thought I would get to try. Poured into my stemless wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with an amber hue. There is hardly any head at all.

Smell: Sweet and quite tart, some mild funk and citrus peel notes. I'm getting some warm alcohol in the finish.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell would indicate. Some gueuze like fink with a citrus peel tartness. The finish is funky and sour. The sweet and sour notes play together perfectly.

Mouthfeel: Medium body but not heavy at all. Mild carbonation with a dry finish.

Overall: This beer is fantastic. Perfect level of tartness with enough sweet malt to back it up. I would love to have some more in the future.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

From 04/14/12 notes. Big thanks to Darrel for sharing this one at our DC Sour Tasting. Tried side by side with Synergy, Yellow Bus, and DDG.

a - Pours a bright murky yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of sour fruits, funk, cheese, oak, sour grapes, lemon, citrus, and apples. Super sour and funky, just a perfect nose.

t - Tastes of funk, cheese, barnyard and earthy notes, oak, sour fruits, lightly sweet fruits, citrus, lemon, sour apples and grapes, floral notes. Even funkier then the nose, and even better.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very crisp and easy to drink.

o - Overall this was one of the top 2 or 3 sours at the tasting and one of the best I've ever had; it slightly edged out DDG and was much better then Yellow Bus and Synergy. I thought it was much funkier then DDG, which was more fruit forward. Awesome funky wild ale; just an amazing beer.

4.24/5  rDev -6.6%

What a way to cap off my CA trip! Big thanks to Eric for tipping me off that Toronado SD had a bottle left. Shared at the bar with blatantdream -- we went whale hunting and ended up harpooning a serpent!

Pours golden with zero head. Other gueuze do look like this, but many of those have the requisite beer geek qualities needed to earn top marks. Screw that though, I can smell it from here!

Strong, pungent aroma right off the bat. Funky, tart, sour, acidic fruit at every turn. Dry with citrus. A little metallic, which obviously detracts from the experience. Unfortunately, all of these aromas start to fade after about 15-20 minutes.

Taste is very tart and acidic up front. Slightly metallic. Puckering sourness that lasts through the aftertaste. Good carbonation level. A well-refined American sour that's aged nicely, although I suspect its best days are behind it. Drink up, people!

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Drank this 7.21.11

Smallish head fades quickly. No lacing.
Light orange body.

Fruity nose. Can't put finger on exactly which though. Slightly funky and definitely sour. Very complex. Spicy notes from the oak too.

Fruity and funky with a good bit of sour too. Oak is also present. Long sour finish. Lemony too.

Minimal carbonation in the mouthfeel.

Great beer. Very polished. Glad I was able to get my hands on one.

50th Review – This deserves something special
Bottle to snifter

From notes. Thank you Chris for making my GABF 2011 extra special! I was searching for this beer for quite some time and finally got my paws on it. Before consuming I was nervous it wouldn’t live up to the hype...

A: Golden hay. Like a sun rise of happiness. Almost no head (just a few bubbles) on a vigorous pour.

S: Old barn, period. Lots of funk coming off this one. Cobwebs. All good things though!

T: Straight-up sour from the get-go. Puckering almost. Actually, it is exactly that, quite puckering. However, this sourness is smoothly balanced by a beautiful acidic/tart finish. Dissipates quickly, but leaves you wanting more, more, more.

M: Light bodied. Soft carbonation. Just beautiful.

O: One of the best beers I have ever had! 5’s across the board hands-down. It was perfect! This was a true beer experience start to finish and everywhere in between. I enjoyed this beer as much as the hunt and looong wait. Overall, it is simply awesome - funky, delicious, and just plain fantastic. I am hopeful that collaborations like this will continue to grace us with their presence. This is a memory for the ages.

Well done Tomme, Sam, Vinnie, Adam, and Rob! Stand ovation for sure on this one.

Side note: Drinking this amongst the chaos at FRTH on Thursday afternoon of GABF week added to the overall enjoyment of the experience. Shooting a text to a good BA buddy in Denver and him dropping everything on his agenda for the afternoon to come try this treat was also fun. If you have the opportunity to seek this out, make it happen...in the end, it is well worth it. If you don't like it, just send the rest my way!

...After consuming I wanted more and lots of it. Definitely lived up to the hype and I can’t wait until our paths cross again sweet, sweet Izzy!

4.39/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - pours a hazy straw yellow with a pretty small head on it

S - lots of sweet fruits (pears, lemon, orange, peach) with a bit of funk going on as well. Nice aromas, definitely on the fruitier side.

T - Lots of citric lemon upfront (think AWA sourness). This fades to a little bit of funk through the middle, which is ultimately overwhelmed by soft fruits as detected on the nose. There was also a faint bitterness on the finish.

M - medium body with decent carbonation (looks like Lost Abbey had to recruit some other brewers to get some carbonation in this one)

D - this is the best American Wild I have tried to date. It was sour, yet tame at the same time. Doesn't have the acidity that a Cantillon, 3F, etc Gueuze has, but I think that really helps this beer a lot as the soft fruits get to really shine in the citric acidity's absence. I can see why this is so highly sought after, and I would argue worth the hunt if you are looking for one of the best sours on this side of the Atlantic.

4.89/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks to sean for sharing this, been waiting a long time for this beer.

A- Hazy orange color, no lacing or retention. Looks sublime.

S- Wow! lots of funk, fruit citrus. Reminds me of a Cuvee des Champions. Amazing nose.

T- Funky grapefruit, citrus. If you didnt tell me, i would think this is a true lambic.

M- light and fluffy.

O- Liquid Fellatio

4.48/5  rDev -1.3%

From 750mL bottle to Bruges glass at a small gathering of NoVA BA's on 9/4/11
*From notes

-- I must give thanks to billab914 for generously sharing this cellar treasure. Cheers, Bill! --

A: No head and no lacing on a careful, easy pour. The color here is magnificent - ripe and glowing white peach. There seems to be a slight chill haze to it, which only adds to the stunning presentation.

S: It's initially quite funky. As it opens, cellar must gives way to a generous amount of freshly grated lemon zest.

T: My mouth begins watering upon contact, yet there's a distinct acidity to the beer that keeps the sour funk in perfect balance. A touch of tart and mouth puckering citrus hits the mid-palate, and by the time it all reaches the finish, it dries out quickly. A masterful presentation.

M: Not overly bubbly. The feel here is well suited to the ale's strengths. It's crisp, yet it packs layers of texture that are rarely found in the wild style.

O: Isabelle Proximus is one of the best Wild Ales I've consumed. It all feels so effortless, yet I know full well the sweat equity that went in to each and every one of these bottles. This is special stuff, and I heartily applaud the dream team of brewers who made this a reality.

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

750ml bottle shared by me at a recent tasting. It poured a slightly murky, light orange color with a thin white head sticking mostly to the edges of the glass. Very nice looking color to it.

The aroma has a sharper sourness to it with some funky, musty and slight acidic notes to it. I seem to get some sour lemon flavor to it as well. It was very vibrant, complex and basically just an awesome aroma overall for the style.

The taste is very sharp and funky right off the bat. I get more sourness to it towards the finish with some of that sour lemon flavor coming out in it. Pretty low on acidicness with some modest funky, musty notes. The sourness is great though.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied for the style with high carbonation. Overall it was an awesome beer. All the sour, funky, fruity flavors came together wonderfully to create some very deep and complex flavors. Definitely one of the best American Wilds I've had so far, if not the best.

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

A whale. But is it Moby?

A - Murky tangerine apricot with a small .25 inch near white head.

S - Sharp twang with a promise of fruit.

T - Wonderful sharp sour feel, that leaves to an even clean flavor.

M - Hard on the sour, then cleans out to neutral.

D - Tasty beer. Is it worth the hype. I guess that is up to you.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was fortunate to taste this absolutely delicious sour at a sour tasting celebrating Indiana Craft Beer week.

A: Golden hay yellow, slight haze in the beer with a nice white head and light lace on the glass

S: A blend of apple, grassy funk, white balsamic vinegar and lemon oil.

T: White peach, crisp green apple, lemon zest, delicious oak flavors

M: Medium body and carbonation, Very smooth

O: This is a wonderful beer. I am grateful to have tried it and hope that maybe in the future the beer gods bless us with another delicious brew such as this!

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%

Beer pours a golden yellow color with a white head that leaves a little bit of stuff on the sides. You can tell this has been in barrels and it has a slight vinegar note to it with some apricots and light berrys on the nose. Smells tart. It also tastes tart with a fantastic blend of sour and tartness sweetened by some berries and made lighter by some surprisingly active carbonation. This is a great beer that I think might hold on just a little bit longer than I was expecting given the age it has on it already.

4.77/5  rDev +5.1%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! A LONG time want of mine and was really glad to see it come out during this tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a hazy yellow with a half finger pure white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, funk, and fruit. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, funk, fruit, and tart on the followthrough only. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Ovearll this was an excellent brew. I found this one to be very smooth in flavor which made it incredibly easy to drink. How easy you might ask??? Well there is a photo of my pounding the last 1/8th of the bottle somewhere on the internet. Yeah, it was that good. I have been looking to try this beer for as long as I have been a BA. Really glad it finally happened, but I would love one for myself so I can crack it open on a special occassion with some other friends (I'm talking to you traders). A definite must try without a doubt!

4.32/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very big thank you to northernbrews for sending me this one. Shared at a tasting.

A: Pours a glowing tangerine orange with pretty much no head. A very thin white collar did last for a little while though.
S: Light funk, tart smelling, very dry and earthy.
T: Earthy, funky, sweaty and complex. The brett definitely dominates. There are some flavors of golden fruits, green apples, white grapes and lemon zest as well. Not super tart but thankfully not uncomfortably acidic.
M: Thin carbonation, medium body, lighter mouthfeel and pretty solid all around.
O: No complaints here, this was a damn fine brew. As far as collaboration beers go, this one is probably the best I’ve had. Thanks again for the trade, Jeff.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

I was fortunate enough to have had the honor of a couple bottles pass through my collection. In addition to the beer, the story of its inception is pretty great. Pours slightly hazy light golden color. Musty, sour lemon aroma. Intense tartness, sour apple and citrus with a lingering acidity. Moderate carbonation with good lacing. Beautiful!!

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

Was fortunate enough to be present at a tasting where this was opened up.

A: Cork came out with a loud pop. Poured into a snifter glass, the beer was a golden yellow with very little head and no lacing. A few small carbonation bubbles here and there.

S: Very tart, lots of apples and a little vinegar, quite sour and bretty. Lots going on, with some grass, vanilla/oak, and other light fruits - peaches and apricots. Extremely inviting.

T: A really nice tartness, slightly mouth puckering, but not overdone at all. Lots of green apple and some lemon, some berries and apricots. There is a very faint barnyard funk going on, but it is in the background to the tart fruit flavors. Light oak and vanilla are also in the background.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinks very smooth, and as mentioned above not overly sour.

O: An amazing beer, I am grateful to have been able to have a snifter of it and hope that one day I will be able to have some more. One of the best beers I have had thus far.

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks Bill for bringing this to Roger's birthday! What a treat

Pours a hazy golden yellow... well carbonated with a solid white head that dissipates quickly. Very light... not a bad appearance.

Smells tart and lemony. Lots of funk on the nose with a definite sour lemon overpowering the beer. Tastes acidic and lemony. Dry on the tongue... oak, lemon, maybe some other light fruits, an almost belgiany yeast flavour. Very complex. Changes as it opens up and warms up.

Well carbonated. A bit too sour for my taste but not bad at all on the mouthfeel. Top notch sour. Easily a standout in my eyes

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

750ml bottle courtesy of Fiver29 at our kick-ass Dark Lord Eve tasting. A few oz's into a snifter. Absolutely a stunning, stand-out wild ale and perhaps the best tasting American Wild I've ever had.

The appearance was in no way bad, but it was the "low" point in the experience. The beer is somewhere between orange and straw in color, with a nice white head but little lace. The color is just a bit "dirty" - still above average, but can't compete with those clean, crisp looking wilds.

Now we get to the good parts. The smell is out of this world with huge notes of funk and sour. There's an apple skin tart note, some mild vinegar and tons, and I mean tons of brett. The brett is not a super dirty (diaper) strain - instead, it's clean and crisp, adding just a touch of horseblanket. Notes of lactic aren't too sharp. The balance here is remarkable and both the overall scent and individual components and details are wonderful.

The taste is truly amazing. Some fruity notes begin with a tart twang, reminiscent of green apple, lemon and peaches. Some clean but powerful brett continues the evolution of the pallate with horsehair notes and a touch of cheese and basement. Oak and a lactic sharpness follow with a hint of grapefruit almost reminiscent of a Savingon Blanc. Sweetness emerges and balances everything out. This beer has unrivaled depth and great flavor details, but the ride never seems to take any sharp turns. This shows poise and craftmanship on behalf of the brewers that is stunning. An absolutely to-die-for taste.

The mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with sharp, crisp carbonation. The overall feel is refreshing, tart and lingering acidity is cut by the next sip's carbonation. Overall, this beer kicks ass. One of the few whales that really deserves its uber-status. Isabelle, how you tempt me to trade my entire cellar for another sip. This is one of those rare beers that totally lived up to the hype for me. That being said, I won't be trading the stars and the moon for a bottle as I'm just happy to have had the chance to taste this fine example of American brewing!

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

Thank you Jason for sending this bottle, it's been patiently cellaring for awhile now. Recently shared it with a dozen fellow beer nerds... review from written notes.

Served in a mini Chouffe tulip (RIP Feb 2010- May 2011).
Bright gold with sharp clarity and a dollop of white foam, it looks like a traditional gueuze. Spotty sea foam lace dots the inside of the glass. Lazy ascending trails of rising carbonation.

Aromas of white wine minerality, stone fruits, sour grapes, slight dusty sweetness. Mellower than the bottle we had last summer, which was pretty funky and gushed a bit, but not this particular bottle.

Tannic oak, white grapefruit, sour grape, lemony, vinous and fruity, with some lingering traces of sweetness. Dominating citrus and grape fruitiness, dry and tannic, yet also very refreshing and quenching. Effervescent and ethereal. One example of American Wild Ales approaching the ballpark of traditional Belgian Gueuze, trailing closely behind Beatification.

#1800

4.67/5  rDev +2.9%

Reviewed from notes: I was also fortunate enough to be at a tasting where this bottle was also opened.

appearance: golden yellow, with minimal head

smell: sour, tart, apples,

taste: sour, tart, apples,

mouthfeel: mild carbonation, medium body,

overall: a freakin awesome beer so glad I got to try it finally after all this time of hunting this down. If you are a fan of sour beers this one is for you.

Cheers,
The Cpj

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to mistakebythelake for this gem. Wow, never thought I would get to try this.

A-Hazy orange with very little head that quickly disapates...
S-Lots of funky fruit. Lemon and orange amongst others
T-very tart and smooth. lots of fruity. a nice sour that is not lip puckering. The rare really takes it up a notch
M-light and crisp and smooth
O-Wow. Really taste the rare. What a brew!

Isabelle Proximus from The Lost Abbey