Isabelle Proximus | The Lost Abbey

Isabelle ProximusIsabelle Proximus

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: American Wild Ale

In March of 2006 five guys, Adam Avery, Vinnie Cilurzo, Rob Todd, Tomme Arthur and Sam Calagione accompanied Lorenzo Dabove, The Prince of Pajottenland, through a tour of Belgium's finest geuze producers. Many of the mysteries of lambic production were answered along the way. They vowed to return to the states to brew a sour beer celebrating their experiences. In November of 2006 they reunited at Port Brewing to brew Isabelle Proximus.

In this bottle, you'll find the answers to many of the questions that were posed along their journey near the river Senne. However, like the mysteries of lambic beers, there remains one lingering question that was left unresolved. We hope like us, the next time you're on a pilgrimage to Brussels you'll drop by the Empire Club and let us know whether you prefer Green or Orange...

Added by John_M on 05-22-2008

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle into Bruery glass, with a warm and heartfelt thanks to Chris (cquiroga) for generously trading a bottle of this gem to an (at the time) brand new trader. 700th review, split between my wife and I.

Pours warm, glowing light orange, bit of gold, apricot with a soft infusion of sunset. Gorgeous color. Thin white head of about a finger disappears very quickly, leaving very little in the way of lacing.

Nose is lemony and citric, with just a bit of tropical fruit dancing around, bright but still with a nice depth; moderate acetic bite in there also and just a bit of musty old leather and a wee hint of barnyard.

Taste starts off with a nice combination of acetic sourness and barnyard funk right off the bat, with the citric lemon sourness moving in and setting up shop towards the very dry finish and lightening things up a bit. Several seconds after the swallow, the acetic rises up for one last bite as the lemony acidity fades and leaves the musty barnyard to linger for a good while longer. Nice, full finish that lets you savor for a good while in between sips.

Mouthfeel is very good. Quite dry, especially towards the finish, with a sharp acetic acidity that pairs with a (thankfully) moderate carbonation and moderately light body to give a very nice blend of depth, acidity, and dryness.

Drinkability is quite good, but at this point, not quite legendary. The acetic bite and the dryness pair to really give some pucker to this one, which is about the only thing holding this one back at all.

Certainly a beautiful beer, very well done, though not quite legendary for me in its current state; perhaps I should have drank it a year ago when given the chance. It was by no means a disappointment, and absolutely comparable to some of the better gueuzes that I've had, though not quite up there with the Lou Pepes of the world, but that's a bit like saying a Wide Receiver falls just short of Jerry Rice; in all respects, an excellent complement. An absolute pleasure to drink, and happy to share with my wife. Thanks again, Chris!

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

Big thanks to McDiddyPop for sharing this

A - Pours an orange-golden hue, with a light haze and one finger's worth of short-lived head.

S - Big lemony-lactic aromas leap from the glass, and other Gueuze-like notes abound, especially horsey, char and sulfur. Very interesting.

T - Wow. Great, worthy of the hype. Surprisingly, it is not too dissimilar to the exceptional Millennium Gueuze with which it was sampled head-to-head. It has a decidedly Gueuze-like character, with emphasis on dryness and dynamic juxtaposition of flavors; I was expecting a little less sophistication and at least a little bit of wild and fruity flavors. I am thrilled with it, regardless of my preconceptions.

M - Very bright, with a hugely clean finish. Totally enhancing.

D - Some say it is potentially in decline. I think it tastes outstanding (as of May 2010.)

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared at a Berkeley tasting in May. From notes.

A: A vigorous pop upon opening. Carbonation! My first bottle was flat, oddly enough. Anyway, this one has a nice finger of off-white head that caps the straw body. Decent retention.

S: Some horse blanket, hay, barnyard funk imparted by the brett. Has a tart citrus nose along with vinegar sourness. A bit of oak. The beer has really mellowed since i last had it. While it is still aromatic, it is definitely dropping off.

T: In 2009 this had a lot of brett funk to it, but the bottle I'm reviewing here has seen that drop off. The flavors coalesce into a citric tartness, manifesting as lemon rind, orange, and a little tangerine. Muted tannins. In 2009 this beer had a very tart finish with lingering dryness and sourness, but the one I'm reviewing here is mildly tart (still dry and sour). The sharpness is dropping off. I'm not sure the flavor is complex enough to justify use of the word 'mellowing' -- if anything I'd say it's getting muddled. Still good, but not improving.

M: Light-bodied. Carbonation is moderate.

D: This was my last bottle. Glad I got rid of it when I did. I don't see it improving at this point.

4.88/5  rDev +7.5%

I did not expect this one at all. I went to 155 Mata Way and stumbled upon the fact that they have some great vintage beers. I decided this would be the best way I could experience this one so I bought a bottle to enjoy at the brewery. The only vintage, poured 7-9-10 into their stem/snifter type glass.

A: A vibrant orange yellow goldish color, it started off fairly clear but the last pour was very cloudy. This beer is actually pretty bright, and actually surprised me. One finger of foamy white head.

S: Very sour smell. Sour lemons, granny smith apples and a large amount of funk. I can't wait to try this and I can't believe the opportunity fell to me like this.

T: Let down? This absolutely is not one! A strong up front sour...like kind of made my forehead sweat type of sour. Though it was making me sweat, it wasn't overpowering the other aspects at all. Lemons play out the sour and are followed up by green apples and a nice soft taste of peaches. This beer is amazing and it sucks that it will probably be the last time I get to try it.

M: Great carbonation and dry. It leaves me wanting more.

D: I enjoyed the bottle for almost two hours (along with a couple other brews) and I would have loved more of it. This beer actually made my mouth water(and face) and I wish there was more. Great beer in every way. A white whale that absolutely lives up to the hype!

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasted at the Carolina Crew gathering, Greenville - thanks to Todd for sharing the gem of the night; for me. Muddy orange pour with thick fizzy off-white head. Funky green apple aroma. Tart flavor with a perfect dry finish. Hints of oak, horse blanket and leather throughout

4.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Sour Tasting. Split 4 ways.

A: Pours a golden, almost bright yellow. Thin white head that reduces quickly.

S: Some nice barnyard. A little citrus and lemon comes through. Maybe even a touch of honey and vanilla.

T: Good amount of acidity here. Well balanced and seemed to have aged well. There is an element of sweetness here as well that I picked up in the aroma.

M: Lots of tingly carbonation, but it is still nice and smooth with a medium body.

D: Acidity leaves a little burn. But this is such a great beer. Really enjoyed this.

4.2/5  rDev -7.5%

Thanks to thirdeye11 for sharing this bottle at our recent sour tasting.

I have wanted to try this for a long time and was happy to see it in the lineup. The beer pours a hazy yellow color with a white head. The aroma is buttery popcorn with some tartness and citrus fruit. The flavor is tart lemons as well as some other citrus and yeast. The beer wasn't quite as complex as I thought it was going to be, but it is still very good and I am very glad I got to try it. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

Shared with some fellow BAs on 05/14/2010.

A - Straw yellow body with a huge thick white head that settles to a faint ring. Some serious dregs left behind at the bottom of the bottle.

S - Sweaty, funky horse blanket from the yeast. Citrus, orange zest, some vanilla/oak, and a sweet perfumey flower aroma.

T - Very sweet brew (for the style) but it still works. Sweet malts balance with the tangy lemon/citrusy sourness as one would expect in an American Wild Ale. Vanilla and oak characters really come through as it warms up. The sweet perfume aroma translates into a hibiscus/sweet flower flavor. Horse blanket and barnyard funk present throughout.

M - Fizzy/bubbly on the tongue with a medium body. The 7% ABV and sweeter (than I am used to) flavor contribute to a sticky/chewy finish. Astringent finish leaves the jowls watering.

D - I find sours in general extremely drinkable. The only thing that keeps me from rating this a perfect 5 is that the sweetness could begin to be too much if one were to consume an entire bottle.

4.82/5  rDev +6.2%

Tasted from bottle at Lush CBC event courtesy of Dr. Bill. Pours cloudy golden with nearly no head. Smells sour with cereal, green apple, lime and orang citrus. Taste is almost like sour grapes on the front of palate, fresh passion fruit and gooseberry on the mid-palate, with the sour grape returning on the back. The sour flavor is great and not overwhelming. Carbonation is plenty lively with a medium body. The finish is long and very fruity. This is the best sour beer I have ever tasted. Thank you Dr. Bill!

4.57/5  rDev +0.7%

A: Very light head and cider color

S: Sweet fruity smell. Apples and peach come through strong.

T: Clearly the sourness comes through the most but sweet fruits as well as citrus fruit are very noticable.

M: Sour and dry but has great balance and no alcohol heat comes through.

D: If you like sours this is very drinkable.

Overall, this is a great beer. It's definetly one to try if you get a chance.

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a snifter:

A: Golden orange in color with a minimal white head. Initial pour was clear, but later pours are slightly hazy.

S: Green apples, sour peaches, and lemons.

T: Tart green apple initially, very crisp and biting. Warms in the mouth to give a yeasty, savory flavor. Slightly drying finish.

D: Delicious and super tasty! Easy to drink, but super tart. A definite sipper.

MF: Well carbonated, and medium bodied. Mouthwatering tartness. Somehow almost savory. Amazing!

An incredible beer in every regard! Can't quite say it is perfect, but I'd be hard pressed to point out a flaw.

Wow. Truely deserving of a perfect 5. One of the best beers ever. Bought a bottle at Lost Abbey for my brothers birthday split between 3 people.

Pours a nice golden color with a thin tan head and nice lacing. Nice looking beer.

Wow. Aroma is amazing. Lots of sour funk but a good amount of Brett funk as well. Nice maltiness too.

Taste is awesome. Nice and sour but also balanced with a nice malty sweetness. Not too much sour but you know it's there for sure. Truely a perfect beer. Great funk from the Brett too.

Mouthfeel is nice and dry but with a nice malty sweet ness in the finish. Great carb.

Overall I am still wishing I could be drinking it. All of us wish we had another bottle or could drink it all night. Very deserving of my perfect 5. I reserve it for my faves and this one is a fave.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Big thanks to bmanning for sharing this with myself, Amyliz4, and hhanson at a recent tasting.

A: Poured a somewhat cloudy apricot color with a tight white head and a good amount of lacing as it went down. Carbonation bubbles apparent in the tulip.

S: Right off the nose, excellent sour and fruit combination. Ripe peaches, green apple skin, and touches of oak. Moderate horse blanket character. Brisk lactic character without any acetic qualities.

T: Again, beautiful balance here. The sourness is in your face, but not all too overpowering. Beautiful notes of peaches, apricots, pear, green apple, and oak.

M: Quite dry with good carbonation. Great fruit/sour balance. Very complex.

D: Excellent. More intense and complex than Veritas 004, in my opinion. An excellent beer; the hype is well-deserved.

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Dyan brought the Duck Duck Gooze; Josh brought the Isabelle Proximus. This was by far one of the most anticipated beers of the tasting. Anxiety filled the room as each person ascended from the cellar. Finally, this one came out after the DDG, allowing a perfect opportunity for a side-by-side. Number 25 overall, and number 16 of the second day of our epic tasting.

Lightly colored and a little bit hazy, even at cellar temp, I think that this is more due to the just-in-time transportation of the beer to the location of the tasting. Always like Josh to think ahead...anyway...Spritzy bubbles and solid nucleation round out this beer. Nothing that I can see seems to dispel my previously held excitement.

The aroma blows me away. Peachy and apricot esters lend their hand to the acidic yeasty sourness, providing depth and more than just another wild ale. This is unlike anything that I have ever tasted before. There is not really any funk to be discerned in the nose. The flavor really pulls this all together. Every bit of potential that I recognized in the bouquet is met on my palate. The yeasts bring out the funkiness that was surprisingly absent from the aroma. The stonefruit esters follow from the aroma onto the palate. These give way to a vinegary acidic sourness. Despite the rawness of my tastebuds and tongue at this point, I am 100% positive that is far greater than any hype or expectation that one could be influenced by. Truly a top-notch sour.

The lower-than-expected carbonation lends itself to a smooth mouthfeel. The citric lemony acidity, mixed with the vinegar-like characteristics of this beer devastates the tastebuds, but in a good way, like Stone Ruination or Midnight Sun Gluttony, minus the hops, plus the sour. This is very close to tops on my list of sours.

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

First off, thanks to Brad for openining this one up for us. Very generous!

Poured into a tulip glass a golden hued honey color with a slight haze to it. Not a whole lot of head to speak of though.

The aroma is extraordinary and complex with notes of sour fruit, tart, and apple.

The taste does not dissappoint. Sour apple, tartness, and a subtle oak flovor overwhelm the palate. Awesome.

Mouthfeel is light.

The drinkability of this is exceptional.

If you get the chance, try this beer. Very good!

4.16/5  rDev -8.4%

I drank this from the bottle into my Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a pale clear peach color. The head is light white and gone quickly, light lacing.

The aroma is medium, a little sweet to start then tons of sourness in the stream of a earthy light horse blanket.

The taste is pretty good, but a bit of a one toner for me. Its almost exclusively horse blanket sour. There is a tad of sweet peach to start and a little lemon to finish but mostly sour. I love sour, but I wish this was broken up a little more.

The feel is pretty light, a slight dry finish.

Very drinkable.

Overall, this was pretty good. Its a nice sour beer, but needs a little more complexity to make it awesome.

4.69/5  rDev +3.3%

Review #200, dedicated to my cat Isabella, who passed a couple months ago. Yeah, I'm sappy like that mo fo's.

A - Murky peachy orange with a small head. For such a light colored beer cannot see through it at all. Nice yeast floaties in there that circle when I swirl.

S - Peachy was the first thought that came to mind. Nice tart smell, slightly acidic. The barrel influence comes through in some wine-like vinegar notes, but not getting any wood on it from the barrel influence. This is really great smelling though, nothing to complain about, pretty much perfect.

T - Nicely tart, not as sweet as I was expecting, some vinegar influence, but it's very subtle. I catch some apples on the end of it, which was a surprise and took some time coming before I noticed it. Peach on the front, and some appley taste came on the end which took some time to notice, very nice.

M - Nice body for a sour, not terribly carbonated, but the tart bite makes it seem much more so than it really is.

D - Can drink this all damn day. It's nicely sweet and tart, but not so much that I can't keep drinking it.

4.7/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Vintage bottle at the brewery tasting hours. Poured darker than i anticipated; a straw hued yellow with a big foamy white head that faded slowly. The head rose up over and inch in the uncovered bottle. Spotty patterns of pacing. The smell is aggressive and all about the tart citrusy lemon..i'll call the rest harvest fruit or funk. The flavor is an aggressive but balanced lemon citrus pear. This variety of sour is quite drinkable. No way does this even mildly approach a pucker factor. Quite nice effervescent, light, refreshing and cleans up pretty quickly, but it's not dry. I really liked it and I shared it with a handful of folks there who had never had a sour and they really appreciated the uniqueness and tried to associate it more with some wines that they recently had. Considered it side-by-side with Veritas 004 ...and well, there is no comparison. This was by far more substantially tastier and more eye appealing.

3.9/5  rDev -14.1%

Had this at Lost Abbey which is a $50 beer. They don't even let you take it to go because people sell it on ebay for $150! It's an American Wild Ale and 7%.
It poured a very lemon yellow with lots of tiny bubbles. It smelled of pounds of lemons, sour apples and a ton of oak. It tasted extremely tart- again lemons, sour apples, a hint of apricot- reminiscent of Beatification from Russian River. It had a soft mouthfeel, very delicate on the tongue and delicious. However, it seemed pretty uncomplicated- just pure pucker.

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Big thanks to Maltzilla for sending me this. Opened this at a recent tasting with some friends, glad to share it.

Pours a hazy straw golden color, with a white cap. Retention was decent but didn't leave much lacing. Pretty much exactly what I expected it to be. It's noted that the first pours were clearer, and as the sediment got stirred up, later pours were much much cloudier.

The nose is great. It's funky and fruity, without being overly sour or sweet. Funky barnyard aromas, hay and horseblanket, lemony fruits along with apples and pears, maybe even a little bit of peaches. Layers and layers of aroma's keep coming and a different smell comes out every time. Doesn't necessarily get better as it warms, but it certainly doesn't get worse.

The first thing you notice is how sour this is. Acidic and mouthpuckering, the sour flavors almost completely cover up the funky characters, which now take a back seat to the sour fruits. Tart and sour, I can't say that enough. This tastes fantastic, everything I hoped it would be.

Medium carbonation with a light to medium body. The prickly carbonation along with the sour make for a party in my mouth. Drinkability is great, but you have to be careful. If I hadn't have paced myself, this would have vanished before my eyes and I would have regreted it.

A once in a lifetime (probably) opportunity for me. Extremely glad I got a chance to try this while it still exists. I was worried that it had dropped off a little bit over the years, but this has held up excellently. I can't see it getting any better, but I think it will hold it's own for at least another year or so. Thanks again, Diego, for sending this whale of whales to me.

4.65/5  rDev +2.4%

Big thanks to mistofminn for breaking this bad boy out at a recent tasting.

Pours a deep dark amber peachy color with a cloudy appearance. Light head which dissipates slowly leaving beautiful lacing down the glass.

Sour, acidic scents in the nose, some fruity citrus smells as well. Vinegar aromas hint at the sourness which is about to come.

Very awesome tasting sour, truly, bitterness provides a nice level of pucker, almost like a sour apple flavor. Lot of acidity and vinegar notes in here. Some residual sweetness dances on the tongue before being crushed by acidic bitterness. The funk is definitely there, horse blanket may be applicable, not sure though as I have never licked a horse blanket.

Smooth and sweet in the mouth, hard to describe. Medium carbonation with bitterness lingering on. This beer feels like liquid dream in the mouth.

Very drinkable, awesome beer from the Lost Abbey. I could drink this non stop for ages.

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Many thanks to Javier for the bottle via the White Whale BIF. Shared with a few friends on 3.5.10. From notes. This is my 200th Review!

The bottle was somewhat of a low fill, not even breaking into the neck of the bottle. A little odd. Cork pops and out comes a hazy gold-tangerine colored brew with some bubbly foam fading to a ring. Revived easily after a couple swirls, but this is not hugely carbonated. My pour was surprisingly clear, but there was a good amount of sediment in the bottle and later pours weren't as fortunate.

Aromas open up impressively as this beer warms to cellar temp and beyond. Cat piss in your friend's basement, some wet leather and straw. A good amount of gueuze-like qualities here. Some over-ripe cantaloupe and honeydew. Though, the few times I have had this before I remembered a bit more of a tropical fruit component, especially in the nose... mango... pineapple? It seems to be missing now. Tart fruits, acidic and wonderful aroma with citrusy tartness prefacing the taste.

Taste has much of the same - earth, lemon rind, grapefruit pith. Granny smith apple skins and orange peel. Good tannic presence and wet oak, moderate acidity. Well balanced but this has a great rich funkiness. Dry musty finish. A really great texture to this brew and not super carbonated - it helps to let all of the flavors linger and further allow you to realize the complexity of this beer. Supremely drinkable, but hard not to be inclined to savor this, considering its rarity.

A really masterful concoction from some of the best brewers in the US with an excellent story behind the making of this beer. I hear there are still some barrels of this sitting at Lost Abbey - hopefully I get a chance to try the future blends that they find their way into. An incredible example as to what American Wilds can be.

4.52/5  rDev -0.4%

This one has been sitting in my cellar for a while, and I decided that my birthday would be the perfect way to kill this bottle. Thanks a ton to Wespatrick for the bottle. Consumed on March 6, 2010.

The appearance on this is a thick oily straw yellow that pours with a fine white head. The head is small and leaves fast. It does not leave any lacing but the legs and oily body of this brew make it pretty beautiful. Its color was interesting as well because it was straw yellow on the edges with a darker gold for the heart.

When the bottle was opened it was too cold to be enjoyed to the beers full extent. Once it warmed though, holy smokes did it really spread its wings. It smelled of green apples, pineapple, lemon, lime, and sweet fruity pebbles cereal. It had smells of armpit, must, and old wet blanket. I could smell Brett or another funky yeast that just topped everything off perfectly.

The taste was muted at first, but developed into a very sour beer. There were not as much acidic qualities that I was thinking, but more of a sweet balance to the funkiness. Granny Smith apples with lots of lemon rind and gueuze like funk. It reminded of a gueuze the most, and that was floating my boat just fine. A bit of pineapple with the lemon rind and Brett made it just perfect on balance.

The mouthfeel was incredible as it effected every square centimeter of the mouth. The palate was throughly destroyed with flavors coming from every direction, the oils coated the mouth and made it smacking for more. The first drop of liquid from this bottle made everything different, nothing tasted the same after this beer. I think the reason that I loved it most was the oily aspect with the palate assault that just floored my taste buds.

The drinkability was great as my buddy James and I kept pouring and pouring until the whole thing was gone. Delicious.

There are a few finishing notes that I do have to comment on. This beer is best at room temperature, for when it was poured out of the fridge it was muted. Once warming up it just started to explode with characters. Another thing I wanted to comment on was the label. Probably the most feminine label I have ever witnessed. The beer is good though.
J

4.22/5  rDev -7%

Split this bottle 4 ways with some great friends. Thanks to Joe for sharing this gem. Poured into a Bruery tulip glass.

A: Yellow, gold, straw, hazy, and sticks to the side of the glass.

S: Funky! Horse blanket (had to give in to this cliche for this one), lemon zest, golden delicious apples, and a slight aroma of burnt rubber. Unique.

T: Sour white grapefruit, hay, and orange rind. Pops you in the face with tongue-numbing funk.

M: Perfect! The carbonation melds with the beer in such a way that makes this a one-of-a-kind experience to drink.

D: The only thing that hurt the drinkability was the funkhammer. Otherwise, this stuff is liquid gold.

Overall, glad I got to try this. Would seek out again.

4.42/5  rDev -2.6%

750ml bottle received in trade with brdc and shared with several people. Poured into a Portsmouth goblet.

A - Pours a cloudy, pale orangey golden color with only a thin collar of white foam. Pretty much exactly as I expected...if anything just a touch more orange. Excellent.

S - Fresh, bretty, citrus - maybe grapefruity, a touch lactic, maybe a bit acetic, sour apples (maybe granny smiths), some nice funk, and a bit of woodiness. Really nice.

T - Tart, lactic sourness, nice and fruity - citrusy - lemons especially. Lots of nice funky brett character - nice and barnyardy. Very nice.

M - Somewhat thin in body, tart but not overly sour - somewhat puckering. Carbonation isn't especially high either. Definitely active, but not as high in carbonation as I expected. Pretty much as expected - very good.

D - This is extremely drinkable for a wild ale. Nice and tart, some complex fruitiness. Excellent. Definitely a top notch sour ale. I would love to get more of this, but doubt I ever will get the chance again.

Isabelle Proximus from The Lost Abbey