Yellow Bus

4.62 | pDev: 8.01%
From:
The Lost Abbey

Avail:
Retired (no longer brewed)
Wants
Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Notes:
Reviews: 60 | Ratings: 83 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Huhzubendah:
4.82/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94 at our insane sour ale tasting last weekend. Thanks Brad.

The beer appears golden yellow hued with a thin white head. To my delight and surprise, the aroma brings the pleasant scent of peaches. The flavor takes it up a level, with a perfect blend of tart acidity, peaches, and Lost Abbey funk. Simply delicious. This was an instant favorite for me. Light in body, this was highly drinkable. This certainly lived up to the hype and high expectations. I only hope that Tomme brews this again.

3.92/5  rDev -15.2%

750ml bottle, signed by Tomme Arthur himself, enjoyed during a game of beirut a.k.a. beer pong (I'm not joking), but mostly from a separate Lost Abbey glass rather than the red Solo cups. I honestly think the awesome force of rarity in this beer propelled me to sink the last cup in a stunning come-from-behind victory that had the crowd in awe (we were down like 7 to 2 at one point), and for that I have Tomme to thank.

Clear peachy orange color with a small white head. A bit less yellow than a bus.

The aroma is nice, rather peachy with other light fruit notes - apricot and pear in particular. Rather funky with nice oak barrel notes.

The flavor is nice if a bit subdued. Peach is fairly assertive, and there is some citrus/lemon. The sourness is restrained and there is actually a touch of sweetness in it. Tastes good, and rare. Medium oakiness.

Medium-bodied with carbonation a little on the lower side. Fairly long finish.

Overall, this is a very good beer, but maybe not quite worth the hype behind it. Maybe it's faded a bit - who knows. I'm rating this objectively so I'll refrain from the "A++++ BEST BEER EVER OMG" schtick. Thanks a lot to all who made this happen though. This is truly one of the highlights of my ticking career.

4.28/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thank you Joel! Delicious sour peach, My second time having Yellow Bus; had after Veritas 001 through 011 to my Lost Abbey Teku glass. Super sour, little bit hazy but that I flew up to cloudy noses. All peach sour, really nice, touch acetic and touch lactic, nice even a little bit of green apple and apple skin. Flavored sour with a light rice wine vinegar, peaches, peaches, and peaches. Significantly more sour and significantly less Peach than when I had it about a year and a half ago. A very nice mouthfeel, soft, sensuous touch of carbonation. Very very nice! Thanks, Joel!

4.72/5  rDev +2.2%

Richard, I cannot thank you enough for sharing this beer. I finally got to ride the Bus.

A: The beer pours a cloudy golden orange color with a finger or so of white head.

S: I'm absolutely amazed at how much peach aroma is here. The nose is pretty damn funky with lots of oak, some slight grass, and peach skin. There's a pleasant lactic sourness and even more peach.

T: A wonderful combination of sweet fruit flavor to go along with the tartness. Wonderful peach flavor that just dominates the palate at times. A great lactic sourness along with some tannic oak round out a very tasty beer.

M: The body is medium and so is the carbonation. Puckering and dry on the finish.

D: This beer was amazing. We opened a lot of good beers last Sunday, but none of them came close to this, in my suspect opinion. If only I could get my hands on a bottle.

3.8/5  rDev -17.7%

Forgetfu came through with the big gun once again. Thanks for bringing this to Popkas's second late summer sour tasting (9/4/2011).

The magical Yellow Bus in all it's supposed mystical and illusive glory. Corked and caged but unlabeled with a little message written down the body of the bottle; "Time to hop on board your very own Yellow Bus- Tomme". Apropirate and highly enjoyable concerning where this beer stands in the minds of many.

Big pop as the cork is pulled and a nice frothy head is present. Always nice to see. Cloudy gold in color with a bit of haze. Peaches are easily compared not only from the color but from the exciting aroma of fresh fruit and funky tartness. Peach skin, lemons, wet wood, brett and peach juice were all together to be enjoyed. It was nice how direct the smell of the beer came off. Not a truck load of peach concentrate but rather a very simple fresh fruit expression. I do love peaches.

Tart, creamy, peach pie, hints of cobbler, rounded acidity among the fruit and funky backbone. The beer's weight wasn't full of harsh acid, it sat nicely on the tongue with a finish that was soft and simple. There was a little buttered pastry flavor that came up near the finish that took me by surprise. The funkiness kept a fair distance from the peaches and it almost seemed a touch disjointed. Could be age is setting in or possibly just that the fruit is sliding out of the forefront of the flavor.

A fine beer to taste, one that I actually didn't really believe was to ever be viewed by my own eyes. After tasting, I'm really hoping a new batch is made as it was impressive but possibly a bit over stated with praise. The creamy pastry flavor stood out and detracted just enough for me to not be completely in love.

4.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Very lucky to have this. In my first volunteer experience, I got to pour for Lost Abbey and this year's BBF. Got about a five ounce pour of this at the beginning of the fest with Tomme to familiarize myself with the beer for purposes of describing the taste. I don't usually review from festivals, but given the beefier pour I got and the fact that I was trying it to familiarize myself with the flavor profile, thought I could probably log one. Also got to try the Cable Car, Cuvee de Tomme and Sangre DC! Awesome experience all around!

Appearance- Pours a slightly hazy straw-golden from the unlabeled Lost Abbey 750ml bottle. I get a small cap of white head as well that doesn't stick around for too long. Looks mysterious and exciting given the hype behind this one, but also very solid looking for the style. Fairly lively carbonation.

Smell- Big notes of peaches, a touch of barnyard funk, some lactic tartness, and what surprises me most is a fairly strong notes of cereal graininess coming in from behind. Overall smells quite nice and juicy, while not overly tart. Very much what one might expect from a wild ale aged on white peaches and invites one to take a drink.

Taste- Taste comes through in a very similar fashion. Lots of white peach on the palate, though not as overwhelming as I was expecting. Rounded out by some nice wild funk and more grain flavors coming through as well. Certainly has a nice lactic tartness but much more understated than I was expecting. In no way is tartness overwhelming on this one, and it is much more under the radar than many other lambics and wild ales.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is spot on for the style here. Plenty of carbonation but not aggressive. Very refreshing flavor profile that makes this very very drinkable. I like the white peaches and would love to see more wild ales done with this particular fruit addition. Really hit the spot.

Overall, this is a very good wild ale. I think that hype perhaps contributes to some individuals perceptions of this beer, as I wouldn't say it is the best wild ale I've ever had (I think I actually liked Duck Duck Gooze better...forgive the sacrilege). Regardless though, very good and take advantage of any opportunity to try it that you may have.

4.25/5  rDev -8%

Bottle at the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012. Served in a Lost Abbey Teku. Huge thanks to Brad for bringing this one out.

Pours a cloudy yellow-golden color with a thin white head. Decent retention and a few spots of lacing as it goes down.

The nose carries a moderate amount of peaches with some backing acidity and general fruitiness. A bit of earthiness there as well. Mild Brett funk.

The flavor kicks it up a notch with a really deep peach flavor that could clearly only come from the fruit of a single tree. Even after all these years, it's quite clear that a mythical tree alone could have produced such wondrous fruit. Oops, I was wrong -- this tastes like yellow peaches. The kind you can buy at any farmers market. Probably not from a shitty grocery store, though. I'll give them that.

After wading through the peach mystery, I got some light funk and moderate-to-heavy acidity with average carbonation and a light body with a dry finish.

Overall, this was quite good. I didn't like it as much as the Isabelle we had beside it, though it was more-intensely fruity. Overall, quite good, though not quite a to-do-for creation.

4.15/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden yellow, nice white head, some spotty lacing. Nothing special.

Smell: Nice golden-fruit sourness, bits of oak, lemon, vinegar, light funk. Peaches are very faint.

Taste: Similar, very faint funk, more lemon than peach, faint french oak as well. Very acidic. More of a donut peach than any other sort of peach. Also more peach skin than the meat inside. I don't think there is anything special about the tree these peaches grew on, outside of the legend.

Mouthfeel: Light body, thankfully not flat.

Drinkability: Certainly high, but good luck finding a bottle.

Certainly a bit of hype to this one, I prefer flaming fury. But, the freshness makes them hard to compare. I think some reviews may be a bit star struck. Probably more in the hunt here than the conquest. Isabelle is the beer that is Tomme's gift to mankind, along with a couple of the Veritas series...

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

This beer was, uhhh, AWESOME! Huge thanks to the 7th most generous BA Treyrab for breaking this one out tonight. I never thought this one was obtainable, so I never even considered looking for it. This maniac opens a box from one of his trading partners one day and after he told me what the unlabeled bottle was, I legitimately shit in my pants. This beer was:

Appearance. Looks really good. A nice orange light brown haze. Moderate amounts of carbonation stream to the top, and a small foamy white head produces only to completely diminish in under a minute. This was much hazier then I expected, granted it only sat for about a week. Still, would have had haze regardless of whether or not the yeast had fully settled out and looks similar to a darker hefeweizen with a low head yeild.

Holy unlyrical lyrics batman, she's fucking wild!!! Ultra tart with tons of acetic qualities. A funky cheese scent is the first thing that hits the nose, even after we through out the limburger (not a joke, we actually thought it would be interesting to pair try this cheese). A beautiful light vanilla softly touches my olfactory nerves in ways you can't understand. A beautiful light peach rests gently with some tart characteristics. White grapes gracefully dance in the air. Reminiscent of a dry chardonnay. I had to snap myself out of lala land and remember to drink the beer...

F¨çking goodness, this beer is the definition of half beer half amazing. I sat in my rocking chair outside completely blown away. That same great stinky cheese funk played the the saxophone on my palate like Sly and the Family Stone. The flavor is so full and powerful; it's like a loud techno dance party is going on in my mouth. So mouth puckering and tart. The bitter lemon is wild like a Tasmanian devil. A sharpness is created by the amped up carbonation (wishful thought reminiscing on the days when LA didn't have bottling problems). The peach that everybody keeps talking about is there. The oak dryness is magnificent. How is the drinkability? More please!

4.39/5  rDev -5%

Up until about 24 hours ago, "the day I drink a Yellow Bus" was more or less analogous with "when hell freezes over". The brown bottle is completely unmarked except for the lost abbey cage and a small manila tag bearing the letters "yb" slipped around its neck. The beer is a pale orange color similar to the flesh of a ripe peach. My first pour was only slightly hazy and had no head whatsoever. Aroma is such a difficult thing to pin down... My buddies and I were all using different glasses, and we passed them around, taking a wiff from each in turn. The differences were quite noticeable. From my glass, sourness was in the foreground, but peach was definitely there. My buddy Dan's glass brought the peach forward and relegated the sourness to play second fiddle. One person's glass fore-grounded a smell that reminded me of the well water at my farmhouse. Another thing about the smell is that the second pour, which had much more sediment in it than the first, was more peach-forward. I say "more peach forward" but the aroma was still bracingly tart.
Surprisingly, the flavor was relatively sweet, with an assertive peach flavor. Fresh peach nectar and a very clean lactic sourness. This is not a funky beer. I was relieved that the flavor was not as acidic as the aroma. The carbonation is low and soft, pleasant on the tongue. When it hits the back of my throat the acid makes my whole mouth pleasantly tingle. The acid, paired with the mild sweetness would make this a very refreshing beer in summer. Big mouthfuls also make this beer taste better than sips, which is interesting. Eventually though, the acid starts to wear on your palate.

4.79/5  rDev +3.7%

Huge thanks to Chad( cpferris) for bringing this to our epic sour tasting.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange with some golden yellow hues and visible carbonation bubbling up at the top of the pour. One finger off white head that immediately fades into nothing. No lacing whatsoever.

Musty earthy aroma with some slight earthy funk. Not as pungent as I expected with subtle barnyard notes and dry Brett efervescence. Lots of fruit in there, especially the peach. I swear I can pick up the earthy pit of the fruit.

Intensely tart/sour and puckering with a lot of dry bretty funk and sour bacterial notes. Dry effervescence and champagne like flavor and carbonation. Medium ody and not very acidic which is surprising considering how tart and funky it is. After the initial sour shock there's an intensly powerful peach presence. Honestly I'm shocked at how prominent the peach presence is. It's like biting into a fresh organic peach. Very sweet balancing out the sour and dry brett notes. This beer is delicious and the puckering sweet aftertaste lingers long into the finish making me salivate for another sip. Highly recommended!

3.72/5  rDev -19.5%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by Chad at ipa247's recent sour tasting. Thanks Chad!

A: Pours a hazy goldenrod body with short retention for its off-white head. When it vanishes, there is no collar.

S: It's very funky, with bretty barnyard and horse blanket assaulting the nose. Musty hay. Plenty of tannins come out, and of course there are the peaches that everyone talks about, the mystical peaches that can NEVAR BE GROWN AGAIN!ONE!

T: Tart peaches and lemon rind up front. Lacto sourness with a mild acetic burn. Lots of funk in the finish: barnyard, horse blanket, and hay as noted in the aroma. It is tannic at times, but not as much as I expected from the nose. The peaches are definitely falling out of the flavor.

M: Lightly dry, with soft, fine bubbles (moderate carbonation). Light-bodied.

D: I would love to have this again, fresh. We had this early on and I thought it was still one of the better sours of the lineup.... But (don't hit me) Lost Abbey has some comparable ones that aren't so damn impossible to get. To me this isn't worth $75 a bottle or whatever he's charging, but I'd bump up this score at a reasonable price point.

4.94/5  rDev +6.9%

I can honestly say I never thought I'd have this beer. The ammo needed to slay this beast in the trade market was way out of my league, and being opposed to the 'Bay for beer, I decided to celebrate my college graduation in style with two roommates and go for the 750ml bottle at the Lost Abbey Vintage Bottle release at their new tasting room.

We got the last bottle, 75 bucks a pop, 12 bottles available, and already gone less than a day after release. I almost didn't get to fulfill this chance and actually have such a rarity.

Appearance: Poured into a tumbler from the nameless-labeled bottle, and a yellow, opaque, marble-like liquid fills up the glass. Head is almost non-existent, but is a pale yellow hued slight crown. Nothing here indicates the world-class quality of the beer, for certain.

Smell: Yikes. Huge notes of peaches, mango, pineapple, lemon, and really most yellow-orange citrusy fruits. Brett funk is present, but not too horse-blanket to distract you from the incredible pucker-inducing sourness that lies within. Just incredible.

Taste: I think my gums started to erode after the first sip. Seriously, I love my wilds and sours, and recently had felt like sours had been less bracing. Not here. The pucker is incredible. The peaches are the primary target, and give a stunning backbone fruit to the lemon-citrus secondary flavor profile. Funk, sour, sweet around the edges, and just through and through delicious. Takes Duck Duck Gooze's sourness to a whole 'nother level and just makes undeniably the best sour I have ever had, hands down.

Mouthfeel: Pucker, pucker, pucker. The carbonation is perfect, the sourness is the perfect companion to the flavor profile, and it finishes so smooth. Not syrupy, either, which could've killed the finish. Just outstanding.

Drinkability: My heart broke a little when it was gone. I don't think I'll ever have this beer again, which makes me both sad and content. I know I have reached the pinnacle of great sours, and the only thing that makes me sad is that--much like Chocolate Rain before it--I will probably never have this beer again. Worth the hype, would drink as one of the only sours in my fridge if made available, which due to the death of the peach tree, seems all but impossible. So impressive, sublime.

4.05/5  rDev -12.3%

Sufficiently lucky to have attended the DC Lambic & Sour Tasting on April 14, 2012 although I've not posted my reviews/notes until doing a couple today.

I here give a brief review for the primary purpose of stating that I've found great varience in bottles.

Summary review:

Pours a light diluted yellow with a thin white head.

Nose is typical sour/lambic tart but, this is the first bottle of a few that I've tried that actually still had a hint (and, yes...just a hint) of peaches. Some funk and tartness in the nose. Nice.

The flavor profile here is generally on many of the more recent tasting, in my opinion, more "wishful thinking" than reality, although perhaps you "younger drinkers" simply have a better palate than me. In my opinon, there is no question that this beer is very over the hill - not gone but clearly nothing like it was when produced. Past experience has led me to make the above conclusion with a fervor. Here, in this bottle, there actually was a hint of peach and fruit, something I've found to be uncharacteristic in the bottles I've tried the past two years. This bottle was much better than the bottle I provided to our California tasting last year (and yet I know that it was from the same source).

Nice mouthfeel, nice flavors and all around decent to drink. I never tasted it fresh and about which I'm sorry since I think it must have been terrific. However, in the words of Tommee Arthur at the Extreme Beer Festival over two years ago..."It's way past it's prime and nothing like it was." I can't comment on that part! But, a nice experience for what it was with this particular bottle.

4.34/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewed in large snifter glass,

Appearance: straw yellow, light tan, with a thin film head. No legs, and lacing.

Smell: wow. bready, over ripened peaches, sweet malts.

Taste: OMG, opens with peaches, lemon tartness that melds with the subtle sweet stone fruit sugars, as this warms the sourness peaks and the fruit subsides leaving a tart, pleasant and longing palate.

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, light bodied.

Overall: ouch. Its tasty and I'm glad I tried it, and sad its gone. If you ever get an opportunity, have it. You won't be sorry.

4.63/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My contribution to an epic sour/wild tasting hosted by Alex. Thank you to myself for letting me try this. Sean, you are awesome!

Poured from 750ml bottle into Bell's tulip.

A - Pours a mirky orange with a very faint white head that quicky vanishes into a bubble here and there around the rim of the glass. No head leaves no lacing behind, which is kind of a bummer. Not the greatest looking sour I've seen.

S - This is where the experience turns epic. A nice whiff of this one leaves me in a state of tart-awesomeness. I also get some sweetness as well, which I contribute to the peaches that this was brewed from. Nice oak/wood notes follow up both the sour and sweet notes and round this one out nicely. I didn't take a drink of this one for quite some time, as I wanted to just keep smelling it.

T - Not as sour/tart as the nose suggests, which I like. I can enjoy the peach notes a lot more without a huge amount of funk. Don't get me wrong, there is funk, but not enough to hide the sweet fruity notes. I'm thinking I should have just drank this one and got wasted by myself in my basement (kidding, to my new Chicago buddies, of course).

M - Fizzy on the palate. The look of no carbonation isn't true, there is some. Leaves a nice tingle with a dry finish.

D - Holy crap do I need another bottle of this. Sadly, don't know if that's possible. Oh well, mark this one down as out-freakin-standing. Lives up to the huge hype.

4.87/5  rDev +5.4%

WOW! Am I actually reviewing this beer? Well, very fortunate to have shared this one with friends this past weekend.

Poured into a large cognac snifter. The pour issued forth a hazy gold liquid, which held up a fluffy, meringue head at the end -about an inch thick- as if it were Atlas lifting the globe. Yes, I gave it a 5 in appearance.
The smell was wonderful, tart, sweet and ripe fruit. Some of the famed peach notes off in the back, but a lot of great spiciness too. Maybe a little cardamom?
Taste was massive. I definitely got a lot more peaches once I took the first sip. And from there it was a damned fruit-fest; got a little dried apricot, some traditional saison-type spice, sweet macintosh apple even.
Mouthfeel & Drinkability I think were superb. This is a very well-rounded flavor with a lot of layers, but its also subtle enough and refreshing that you will be tempted to immediately go for a refill. Well, that and the fact that you're splitting a YELLOW BUS & you sure as heck want more than just one sip.

4.3/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to ShadesofGray for this one. 3oz pour from a corked and caged unlabeled 750ml bottle into a TJ’s snifter. Bottle was signed “Enjoy the Magic Yellow Bus Ride – Tomme Arthur”. Had at a tasting on 9/4/11.

Thin white lace. Cloudy deep white peach puree color. Patchy lace with no retention. Not much of a looker.

Sour and sweet peach puree. Tickly yeast funk. Huge fruit aroma. Simple but very big and bold.

Opens sour peach flavor. Some pulpy sweetness. Some Brett characteristics. Cobweb. Lemon. More peach in middle. Oaky towards middle. Cheese funkiness. End tart peach slightly dry. Sharp. Aftertaste is tart.

Medium bodied. Low to moderate carbonation. Smooth and oily in the mouth. Goes down warm, slick. Finish messy with lingering aftertaste. Not really to style (not lively) but very nice. Lambic-like.

I’m very privileged to have the opportunity to have this beer. It’s very different from other American Wilds. Very robust, deep, and not only funky, but cheesy. That being said, having this side by side with the Veritas 004, the 004 is a touch better. Still, it’s one phenomenal peach sour.

4.97/5  rDev +7.6%

My 500th review and a very special one. Thanks to Frank for sharing this as well as Kevin and Jeremy for the awesome tasting!

A-pours a hazy golden yellow in color with a creamy white head.

S-wow, what a nose! the peach is still very much present and tons of unripened peach hit hard. notes of yeast lie behind with some funkiness underneath. more peach tartness in the back.

T-what a beautiful flavor. soft peaches caress the taste buds. this isn't sweet, the tartness is very light but present. the yeast is there in the middle, hints of lemon behind with a touch of acidity in the back.

M-smooth and creamy on the palate with a perfect amount of carbonation to hold the body throughout and give it a crisp, slightly dry finish.

D-the peach flavor is so soft but so tasty with the perfect balance of yeasty flavors to add complexity. so simple but so well done!

4.67/5  rDev +1.1%

I got to try this at dld into a tasting glass.

The beer pours a hazy golden yellow with peach highlights, light white head, ok retention and lacing.

The aroma is super balanced. Great sour funk then lots of sweet peach really stands out.

The taste is the same, exactly what you're looking for a wild. A very nice sweet balanced by just the right amount of funk.

Great beer, super lucky I got to try this, I would love to track this down again.

4.57/5  rDev -1.1%

Review #300, may as well drink something memorable.

A - This looked to be as expected, which worked just fine. Light yellow, little bit of some orange comes through in highlights sometimes. Small white, foamy head, died down with minimal lacing.

S - Tart and sweet. Also, just due to not ever really looking into what this was and just wanting it because everyone told me to, it smelled surpringly peachy, although not as much as Flaming Fury. Littly oaky, touch of citrus, tiny bit of some sort of funk, but barely there. Get some nice barrel influence on this.

T - Really very good. It's definately tart, but not as tart as many of the other things I've had. Astringent, just a bit acidic, and it works well. The peach taaste is buried on the backend but makes a nice appearance as you continue to drink and it warms up a little bit. Very sweet on the end.

M - This is where this beer fell short for me, it had nice weight and carbonation for the style, but it finished quite thin and almost watery, kind of reminded me of a juice. It wasn't horrible, but it definately knocked the feel down for me.

D - Highly drinkable, I think the tartness would eventually get to you and make you stop or dial it back after a while, but sadly, I doubt I'll ever get my hands on enough to find out. Great beer, not the best sour ever, but very, very good.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%