Veritas 004 | The Lost Abbey

Style: American Wild Ale

Added by scottoale on 11-16-2008

4.75/5  rDev +3%

4.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Another bottle shared by the Lost Abbey crew at the DC Lost Abbey tasting. Another beer I never thought I would get to try. Poured from the bottle into a tasting snifter.

Appearance: The beer pours a cloudy golden color with an amber hue. There is a small layer of off white head.

Smell: Tart and slightly fruity. Very light and refreshing. I'm getting hints of lemon and some mild white vinegar to go with the peach hints.

Taste: This is a very tart beer. I'm getting more of the peaches than I did in the Yellow Bus, which is weird because I was told that it had half the fruit they put in yellow bus. Apparently the tree died. I'm getting some lemon like sour notes along with some funk. This beer is very refreshing and I just loved it.

Mouthfeel: Light body with fluffy carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: This beer is just fantastic. It was my favorite sour peach beer of the tasting. Light and refreshing, I would love to be able to drink this all summer long.

4.5/5  rDev -2.4%

Thanks to Jason for this one!
Long awaited and still kicking.

Pours a golden orange, charged with lively carbonation, a frothy head and ample lacing around the edges.

Aroma is sharply acidic with identifiable peach presence still noticeable. Woody vanilla in the periphery, and some cheese rind barrel funk.

Bracingly sour, puckering sour peach pit. Very acidic, it has a sharp fruity note of sour peach and becomes fleeting and dry in the aftertaste. Crisp and effervescent, minimal funk at this point. Very sour with the peach element of Yellow Bus still hanging on. Good stuff, though I'm glad we drank it now.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Straw colored, gueuze-like appearance. Clear for the first glass, hazier after that. This one foamed up in the bottle quite a bit, making later pours somewhat flat.

Smell: Massive barnyard funk up front. Lactic sourness meets unripe fruit (peaches are fairly noticeable). Faintly mineral, little bit of soft grain. The yeast really steals the show here. Very authentic gueuze-like character, the only thing setting it apart being the slight presence of fruit.

Taste & mouthfeel: Dry and puckering with lots of up-front fruitiness; pineapple, peach, lemon. Acidity is fairly restrained despite the strong sourness. Light, crisp body; dry from start to finish. There's a bit of cider vinegar mid-palate, but on the whole this is a beautifully blended beer that really highlights the good aspects of the bugs and hides the bad ones.

4.15/5  rDev -10%

Huge thanks to bmanning for opening this bottle up at a recent tasting. Also shared with Amyliz4 and Heather.

A: Poured a hazy straw yellow with a bit of an apricot tint to it. Nice head and some very nice lacing.

S: A good amount of funk from the Brett alongside beautiful citrus aromas. Nice notes of lemon and lime alongside unripe peaches, green apple, and Sweetarts. A bit of oak.

T: Very similar to the nose with great acidity coming through. All of the same fruits, with the lemon and Sweetart flavors really coming through. Some great tart lemonade-type sourness. The best-tasting sour I have ever had.

M: Fairly light bodied with good carbonation and the perfect level of acidity and dryness.

D: Very drinkable. Great complexity without failing to exhibit a lovely sourness. Great balance between everything in it.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Had this at Lost Abbey. Shared with dagspaceyou.

Poured into Lost Abbey Tulip.

Pours 1/2 finger of bright white head. Fades to a thin ring leaving no lace. Color is a clear golden orange.

Aroma: Nice funk right off the top with some horse blanket. The aroma is very similar to DDG, but not as sour and it has more citrus flavors. I got a lot of apricot and peaches with some mild notes of cherries.

Taste: Starts out with a milder amount of sour flavors. The citrus is here, which I think may be the reason it isn't so sour. The fruit flavors taste great: apricots and peaches. Very well done. Again, it reminds me a lot of DDG.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Lighter bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Really nice for the style. Ends with a mild tat aftertaste that is very clean. Can't get much better than this,

Overall, this is a very nice wild ale and I am really glad I got to drink it. Very drinkable and it reminds me a lot of other sours but it has more citrus to it. I really enjoyed this and could easily drink a full bottle. I highly recommend this one.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Reviewed from notes. Thanks go to a very generous and kind individual (you know who u are). Shared between four. Never ever thought I'd get to try this one. Lived up to the expectation. A bit low carbonation but popping. Brilliant orange hue. Lots of fruity peaches and apricots with some oaky tannins for tartness. Loved every drop as I floated away on a cloud.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Oh hell yeah. I am a very lucky man to be able to finally try this very rare, and utterly fantastic beer. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this 750ml wonder was consumed on 05/16/2009.

The pour was brilliant and just what I would expect to be/ Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. Sour apples, lots of light fruit notes, touch of grassy hops, wow. Perfect here in nearly every way. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and just shreds through my mouth. Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting it sit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall this is hands down the best beer I have ever had from Lost Abbey, and pretty much the best sour I have had, aside from that first batch Beatification. This beer isperfect, seriously. I had heard it was good, but shit, this is excellence. I have had my faith in LA temporarily renewed after this.

4.63/5  rDev +0.4%

Thanks to KRAMER17801 for bringing this bottle to Stakem's tasting on 4/2/11 -poured chilled into a snifter - the cork came out with a soft *poot*

This was a clear golden like apple juice in the glass with a quick to fall snowy white cap. There is plenty of carbonation visible while the head condenses. The smell has a fragrant floral aroma, w/ strong tart juicy odor. I get some mango and slight lemon esters. The feel is like sweet tarts, first the shock of a sour tinge and is followed up by some semi sweet maltiness, some mild alcohol w/ a mild sour quality throughout. This was surprising as it evolved it has more of sugary tinge in the finish.

So luscious and juicy, the tart lemony astringent aspect, but also intensely sour at certain points. There is a mild bitter element which seems to coincide with the high effervescent feel and alcohol w/ some bitter citrus flesh flavors in the finish. Overall I enjoyed this a lot, incredible puckering and easy to drink 8% abv American Wild. I was happy I actually got to try this.

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

From 03/19/11 notes. Huge thanks to ygtbsm94 for sharing this one; thanks Brad! Sampled side by side with Veritas 006, served in a tulip.

a - Pours a clear bright yellow-orange color with light carbonation evident and no real carbonation.

s - Smells of sour citrus fruits, lemon, light funk, oak, and some grapefruit. The smell is not overly funky, but a nice level of funk and tart lemon/citrus. Very nice.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, lemon zest, peach, wood/oak, grapfruit, citrus hops, white wine. Again, not too much funk but more sour/tartness than the smell. A step up, pretty amazing taste.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation. Tart up front with a crisp finish.

d - Overall this was an amazing sour; one of the best I've had. It was very different from the 006 but both were amazing. This had more citrus and peach to it, while I found the 006 to have more raspberry and grapes to it. I also found the 006 much for tart, which I really enjoyed. None the less an awesome beer I would love to have again.

4.69/5  rDev +1.7%

A: A clear, pale, golden color with a fluffy white head.

S: A wonderful, and powerful, lactic tartness fills the nose. There is a moderate Brett funk, citrus and peaches or apricots are present as well.

T: Like the nose, the first thing to hit you is the lactic sourness. The funk is not quite as intense I would have expected, but still present. The fruit flavors are also here, but more lemon than anything else.

M: Medium in body with a high level of carbonation makes this a very pleasant beer to drink.

D: I would have never guessed this beer is 8% ABV. The flavors are wonderful and the mouthfeel is as well. I could have drank this all day.

4.94/5  rDev +7.2%

Consumed with all ten Veritas beers on April 14, 2012. Shared by GRG1313. Thank you Richard!

This was still a standout beer for me, even among the world's best lambics and wild ales. A phenomenal beer. One of the best sour ales ever brewed in the United States.

***
Original review: 21 March 2011

Bottle shared by ygtbsm94. Thanks Brad! Served side by side with Veritas 006. Awesome? Indeed.

The beer appears hazy and straw yellow in color. A few pockets of bubbles cling together tightly, resembling suspended grape bunches. The beer has a thin and wispy head that fades to virtually nothing after a few minutes.

Like the Veritas 006, the aroma here is simply world class, albeit an entirely different beer than the 006. I can really pick out the Duck Duck Gooze in the nose, as the scent offers a prominent dosage of gueuze. Other notable scents include funk, subtle barrels (oak), hay, and a light helping of tart fruit.

Incredibly wonderful, complex, and delicious. The beer is slightly tannic and finishes with a splendid acetic bite. Peaches emerge more in the taste than in the olfactory senses. This must be the elusive Yellow Bus flavor.

The feel is medium / thin bodied with a wonderful, puckering finish. Complex and intriguing, I could sip this gem all night long.

Overall, one of the best sour / wild ales I have ever had and one of the best beers I have yet to enjoy, regardless of style.

4.38/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Long time want! 750 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Bright orange and hazy. Very small white head and a thin collar.

Smell - Peaches and apricots. Bright acidic. Woody. Lots of oak. Wheat and grain.

Taste - Very nice stone fruit flavor. Not quite as distinct as the aroma, but a nice peach. flavor. Strong sourness. Woodiness builds. It gets a little bit too strong in the sourness in the finish, but it's just a touch too much.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Really impressive, especially for its age. Delicious fruit flavor that complements a well-made sour.

4.62/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to Kramer for sharing this at a recent tasting.

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml into a mini snifter. This brew appears a clear golden yellow color with a fizzy topping of white head that recedes quickly. It laces on the sides of the glass in a spotty pattern. A swirl revives the head to a lacing across the top of the brew.

The smell of this brew is downright amazing, easily one of the best aromas I've ever smelled in a beer. Even smelling the empty bottle is glorious. I'll try to put a few descriptors here but my words do not do this brew's aroma any justice. It smells of lemony funk with a light rind touch, it's both grassy and earthy with herbal notes that turn to sweet smelling flowers and fruits. The smell of this brew engulfs the nose in a very impressive aroma that is exceptionally pleasing.

The taste of the brew picks up where the aroma left off but with a deeper complexity and layering of funk as the main focus. There is a lemony tartness and acidity upfront that evolves into more of an earthy funked taste with light notes of sulfur through the back. Where the aroma of this brew had a great depth of scents to take in, the taste gets focused on the sourness. As it warms there are faint notes of fruit.

This is a light bodied brew with a lively, moderately high level of carbonation but not overly so. This is tart and very salivating brew that is excessively drinkable. Throughout the entire experience I never got any indication of the listed 8% abv, masterfully hidden. This is something I wish I could drink on a regular basis but I'm very grateful for having the chance to try it once. Thanks again Kramer!

4.67/5  rDev +1.3%

Big thanks to Mark for trading this to me - I know you don't like sours Mark, but I appreciate it all the same. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - This is a little bit nicer looking than Yellow Bus. A finger of off-white foam that dissipates to a ring and some patchy haze. This one leaves behind a little of lace. Slightly hazed mostly transparent orange-yellow color body with lots of bubbles racing to the top. Gets more hazed the deeper we get into the bottle.

S - This is super funky - there must be a ton of Phunky Duck in here and only a little Yellow Bus and Cuvee de Tomme. There's a touch of peach and white wine grapes, but it's way more barnyard, horsey sweat, and must.

T - The taste is super tart with a good amount of lactic sourness as well. There's not much in the way of sweetness - just a hint of peach and sour apple. The finish is dry and super tannic with surprising mildness. I don't find this as deep as the Yellow Bus, but it's still quite amazing.

M - This is even tinglier than Yellow Bus - to the point where it gets a little irritating. The finish is super dry and the body is medium in density. The texture is a little grittier than I prefer.

D - I'd drink a bottle of this one myself too. I'm sad the bottle is empty and I'm tempted to ask Mark for his other bottle of this one.

Veritas 004 from The Lost Abbey