Veritas 004 | The Lost Abbey

Added by scottoale on 11-16-2008

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
Reviews: 90 | Ratings: 152
4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

Oh hell yeah. I am a very lucky man to be able to finally try this very rare, and utterly fantastic beer. Served chilled and poured into a snifter, this 750ml wonder was consumed on 05/16/2009.

The pour was brilliant and just what I would expect to be/ Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. Sour apples, lots of light fruit notes, touch of grassy hops, wow. Perfect here in nearly every way. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and just shreds through my mouth. Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting it sit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall this is hands down the best beer I have ever had from Lost Abbey, and pretty much the best sour I have had, aside from that first batch Beatification. This beer isperfect, seriously. I had heard it was good, but shit, this is excellence. I have had my faith in LA temporarily renewed after this.

4.23/5  rDev -8.2%

bottle from rusty or the goat... memory evades me... at the bockyhorseys...

hazy golden color (darker than the cdc sitting next to it!) with a soft white head and lasting ring of foam. surprising amount of spotty lacing.

the nose is quite malty and sweet with notes of cinnamon, cement-y brett stink, lemon and some cheese-y cdt funk.

the amount of maltiness on the palate gives the impression of balance and really calms the sour... flavors include lemon, malt, some wood and yeast with the sourness hitting late in the finish. brett's at the party but in moderation and lends a refreshing dryness. the body is surprisingly thick and coating with a rich slick mouth feel. delicioso... 8/4/8/5/18/4.3

4.65/5  rDev +0.9%

Appearance: Straw colored, gueuze-like appearance. Clear for the first glass, hazier after that. This one foamed up in the bottle quite a bit, making later pours somewhat flat.

Smell: Massive barnyard funk up front. Lactic sourness meets unripe fruit (peaches are fairly noticeable). Faintly mineral, little bit of soft grain. The yeast really steals the show here. Very authentic gueuze-like character, the only thing setting it apart being the slight presence of fruit.

Taste & mouthfeel: Dry and puckering with lots of up-front fruitiness; pineapple, peach, lemon. Acidity is fairly restrained despite the strong sourness. Light, crisp body; dry from start to finish. There's a bit of cider vinegar mid-palate, but on the whole this is a beautifully blended beer that really highlights the good aspects of the bugs and hides the bad ones.

4.89/5  rDev +6.1%

750ml caged and corked bottle acquired in trade.

Poured a medium and cloudy golden/yellow color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of brett, woody, citrus, and fruity. Tastes of citrus, lemony, brett, funky, vanilla, and just all around 'greatness'. Had a nice tart and puckering finish that wasn't overpowering. This one kept me wanting more...I must have more.

Thanks for the trade!

Pours a hazy golden orange. An inch or so of white sandy foam. Smell is sour funk. Lively vinegar and lemon in the aroma. Old blanket mustiness and raw green apples.

Taste is insanely vinous. Unripe grapes, explosive vinegar, acidic lemon ... this is an ass puckeringly sour beer. Bit of a fruit/berry component ... I'd describe it as peach-ified raspberries. Lively peaches lingering on the aftertaste and dancing amongst the flavors. Great balancing fruit to liven up the acidic tartness.

Great carbonation. Really keeps the beer lively, effervescent, and the flavors just keep on popping.

***updating my review. This is as good as it gets.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Sampled on Christmas Day thanks to my cousin, krkearney. The beer poured a cloudy golden, yellow color with a half inch thick white head. The nose had a nice aroma of citrus fruits, a bit earthy and yeast notes as well. The taste is wonderful. Tart up front with a nice mix of sweet as well. I also got a touch of wood character and some buttery notes as well. Another fine Lost Abbey beer.

4.47/5  rDev -3%

Thanks to Midaszero for sharing his bottle.
Appearance : golden, cloudy, no apparent head.
Smell: some funk, lemon fruits, peach.
Taste: light, fruit, like a sour orange. A bit low on the carbonation.
Drinkability: super drinkable. One of the most drinkable sours that I've had. Hard to believe that it is 8% abv. I could easily polish off a bottle myself.

I think this beer should be classified as an American Wild Ale not a belgian strong PA. Seems like a blonde ale blended with a sour lambic.

Big thanks to numbeercruncher for trading this beer to me. This is not a BSPA, its a wild ale. It starts to rush out of the bottle so be careful but it didn't quite gush. Nice cloudy orange color, looks like a nice gueuze. My first impression of the smell reminded me of a cantillon and then it quickly went away, funky, bretty, needs more horseblanket. The flavor is sour with peach flavors and I realized this reminds me of Fou Foune. The finish is interesting but I can't really define the flavor. I think I liked 003 better but I sure would like to try Yellow Bus or duck duck gueze alone. This beer was pretty nice and I'll look forward to possibly trying 005 in the future, whenever that is.

Big thanks to waltonc for this in another generously shared beer drinking event.

A: Hazy golden yellow with a small head. My initial thought is "Oh no, not another no carbonation Lost Abbey beer." But overall a good looking beer.

S: A slight muskiness similar to an aged lambic. But not nearly as complex. Sour peaches, and other stone fruit.

T/M: Tart and funky, with the stone fruit flavors really dominating for me. The mouthfeel was mostly typical of a good sour--dry, and acidic. But then there's the lack of carbonation. Although not as uncarbonated as other LAs, I still think it detracts overall from the beer. Sour beers just taste better with carbonation, in my opinion.

D: Goes down pretty well. But drinkability is hindered by the fact that there's very little supply of this stuff.

Overall, solid effort. I wouldn't put this in the upper echelon of sours but enjoyable.

4.3/5  rDev -6.7%

Had on tap at the Lost Abbey barrel night

A - Hazy straw body with no head and no lacing

S - Peach and sourness

T - Peach is the main fruit taste. There are sweet and sour components but overall it is very mellow.

D - Medium body and light carbonation

M - Very easy to drink and very enjoyable

4.57/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to midaszero for sharing this bottle. This was awesome.

Poured part of a 750ml into a snifter.

Appearance - This pours a hazy translucent peach color and produced a 1/2 finger head that quickly dissipated to a thin halo around the perimeter of the glass. A quick swirl of the glass brings the head right back, but then quickly dissipates once more. Low head retention. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - The nose is awesome. The fruit notes are huge and they intermingle with the tart, funky nose in near perfection. There notes of peach, lemon, and a distant berry note. Behind the funk, tart, and fruit, there are notes of honey and caramel - lending a hint of sweetness.

Taste - The flavor is awesome - nearly identical to the scent. The flavor has notes of peach, lemon, and a hint of berry. The flavor is noticeably less sweet than the scent would have hinted. The lemon notes are closer to lemon zest than actual lemon. Very tart and funky. I just noticed that the ABV is listed at 8%, um... where are they hiding it?

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is great. Light/Medium bodied with a great level of carbonation. Very crisp. The carbonation is very lively and keeps the beer feeling interesting.

Drinkability - Damn, this is a great beer. The flavor is amazing and it is incredibly easy to drink. Lost Abbey is putting out some incredible sours. With or without the ABV, this is incredible.

4.21/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Lost Abbey barrel night. Color is bright yellow. Lots of fruit and funk in the nose. As a friend of mine who attended and is not a huge fan of sour beers remarked, "it smells like toe jam." I wouldn't go that far, but the smell is not this beer's finest point. The taste was really good. Not nearly the funk in the taste that is present in the smell. Light, fruity, peaches, grapefruit, and lemon. Even my wife liked how this tastes, and she's not gung ho about sour beers. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with tartness that is not overwhelming. I honestly cannot recall how much carbonation was in this. On the whole, a pretty drinkable beer. I'm glad I had the chance to try it.

12/10/08 UPDATE: Opened a bottle of this last night with some friends. Have your glass ready, because this one may gush on you a little bit.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

One of my new favorites. Had it at Lost Abbey Barrel Night and am looking forward to trying it in the bottles I was lucky enough to pick up!

Knowing what goes into this beer allows the taster to really dissect it. I can taste the peaches and fruits of the Yellow Bus, the pungent tartness of the DDG, and a multitude of other flavors that are strong but compliment each other very, very well.

The head was light on my tasters, but I imagine the bottle conditioned version will have a bit more of a head. The color was gold and slightly orange in the poorly lit barrel room...The aroma and taste was loud with pineapple, peach; slightly sour with a surprisingly medium/full mouthful.

Incredibly good, and dangerously drinkable! My favorite of the night, and of LA to-date.

4.97/5  rDev +7.8%

750 ml corked and caged bottle, also had several tasters of it on tap last night, tasted better out of the bottle to me though, poured into my small Three Philosophers glass

A-Color is a golden yellow with some orange tint, a very aggressive pour resulted only in a 1/4 inch bubbly white head that went away quickly, no retention or lacing
S-Peaches were by far the most dominant smell in here, a bunch of other fruits though including plum, papayas, pineapple, grapefruit, also cherries, oak, mild vanilla, honey, and sour tart
T-Starts off with a gueuze-like introduction, dry and funky with a citrus bite, cherries and oak in the middle, lots of peaches and sourness in the finish, aftertaste is bone dry much like several different blended lambics, gets slightly sweeter as it warms but that funky component is still there mixed with the various tarty fruit flavors, not vinegary at all but it has that nice zing that you get from an aged lambic mixed with some Cuvee characteristics as far as the booze and cherries go, like the oaky component and how it evolves with each sip, this stuff was all over the place but tasted awesome, I wanted more the day after the party so bad that I had to open a bottle, that should say something right there
M-Tart, fruity, funky, and pungent mouthfeel, carbonation is fairly soft right now but that is just because it is a little young in the bottle and I actually preferred it that way, medium body, taste lingers
D-Could drink this stuff all day and night but that would get expensive and impossible because of bottle limits, rarity, etc., it goes down very easy, alcohol is hidden incredibly well, very easy to drink for a sour

This beer consists of two different barrels of Duck Duck Gooze, Yellow Bus, and Cuvee de Tomme, it is the best Veritas yet hands down and will only get better with age in my opinion, probably best brew from Lost Abbey period, it is the first light colored Veritas too as all the others have been various shades of brown to date, Tomme was really proud how this one turned out, I look forward to drinking this again, I am very grateful that I went to the party and was able to get my hands on some, highly recommended

4.42/5  rDev -4.1%

From the freshly cork/caged 750ml. brown bottle, pours a murkish honey-gold ale with no head to speak of yet. Blended with four different barrels of aged ale.

Sweet and tart fruit lights up the nose. Pineapple, peach, honey, citrus and an authorititive sourness.

Sweet and sour balanced taste with plum, pineapple, grapefruit, peach, honey and a nice, crisp, tart finish. This blend is oh so young and already tastes fantastic. Give it some time and God only knows how this brew will evolve. Medium body with a little astringency.

A highly drinkable ale now, can't wait to see how this beauty ages.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last