Duck Duck Gooze

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze
Notes: In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 302 | Ratings: 1,964 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
benzalman from California

4.54/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

the 2016 is on point right now. Very complex, sharp and interesting wine barrel aged sour. if you haven't had a chance it's very much worth seeking this beer out!

Jan 04, 2021
SierraNevallagash from Maine

4.6/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2016 Vintage

750ml corked and caged bittle - poured into a Riesling/Zinfandel stem at 45°F.

Pours a slightly foggy translucent honey-golden, really verging on orange, like a West Coast IPA. A finger of coarse, sticky, sudsy off-white head forms, with fair retention, and settling to a decent collar, with weak, spotty lacing. Clings to the glass like whiskey. Really a beautiful beer.

Nose: This one travels. No shortage of funk here. Tons of damp hay and wine-soaked oak, with plenty of bright lemon juice and rind. There's ample leather book binding, dusty stone cellar, petrichor, magnolia blossom, and a really dense note of patchouli, with some sweet apricot and marmalade threadinf through. Some funky stable, sea shell minerality, and sweaty brett emerge, but the funk is balanced by plenty of bright fruitiness. Huge nod to Cantillon here.

Palate: Duck Duck Gooze emerges with an impressively balanced acidity. Like biting into a ripe stone fruit, there's a bright *POP* of tartness, but it immediately steps back, becoming more of a lemony tang. Lemon oil, orange juice, apricot, and crabapple lend bright fruity notes, with undertones of cabernet grape, cranberry, unripe plum, and coriander seed. The tartness begins to rapidly subside, showing quite a bit of grain - dusty, with hulls. An almost Gueuze level of funk presents itself in the form of wet hay, damp wood, old musty stable air, milkweed, and a touch of herbal flowery notes with just a whisper of sweaty funk. The tartness completely disappears, and the finish shows wheaty grain, grass, lemon essence, white oak, and just a touch of grapefruit oil that clings to the palate.

Mouthfeel/Body: Absolutely stunning. It's crisp, airy, and quenchingly dry with a shimmering minerality, but there's definitely some soft body which lends presence. The effervescence is truly perfect. Champagne. Zippy, airy, fluffy, and fizzy, but soft and supple. An oily feel lingers.

Overall: This is perhaps the most stunning American wild ale I've had in a long time, perhaps ever. I'm not sure if this is Method Traditionelle or not, but either way, this really is a masterpiece. A sweet grain presence, incredibly balanced acidity, ample funk contrasting against beautiful bright fruity notes, and it all comes together so seamlessly and flawlessly, this has truly transcended the style itself. Simply stunning.

Jan 01, 2021
darktronica from Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2016 release, enjoyed in 2020. Light orange-golden, unfiltered but pretty transparent and bubbly. No residual lacing. Bright and floral, quite tart on the first sip, but sweeter and fruitier after that. Apricot, peach, grapefruit, bits of cranberry and granny smith. Light straw and funk underneath the sourness.

Jun 04, 2020
GC2020 from New Hampshire

4.05/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a tap at the initial release of Duck Duck Gooze in 2009, lovingly collected in a 16oz clear Solo cup.

So I was doing consulting work in SoCal in 2009. Gueuze wasn't my thing; I'd never had a sip in 40 years of fine beer drinking. My son informed me that the Lost Abbey was putting out this Duck Duck Goose beer that Saturday, that his friend would have donated his right arm to be there, and could I pick up a bottle for his friend. It was a bit of a hike from where I was to where the beer was, and I'd have to stay the weekend to boot. His friend is a good guy, so sure, I'll stay.

I arrived early for the opening, or so I thought. A very long line snaked through the parking lot 90 minutes before release time, and I took my place. I remember the sun was beating down from a cloudless sky, and I was getting an unanticipated sunburn atop my head.

Finally I heard a cheer from the front of the line that quickly snaked by me to the end of the line (I couldn't see it.) There was a 2 bottle limit on purchases, which initially bummed me out (this was the first time I waited in a beer line in 30+ years.) However, inside the warehouse a bar was set up and they were serving healthy pours of DDG.

My initial impressions were negative, as in "what is this?" But as I made my way to the bottom of my Solo cup, it started to grow on me. I was able to get a second pour - same cup - and this one I took my time to savor. I've been drinking gueuze til today.

And the friend: he ended up getting both bottles with my compliments. He repaid me years later with a bottle of Kate the Great. Both of us are older, life's gotten in the way so neither of us follow beer as we used to, until for me anyway COVID has reintroduced me to BA. Hopefully beer follies will begin anew, and I'll be standing in a few more beer lines.

May 17, 2020
MJSFS from Florida

2019 vintage poured into a teku-style glass. Looks like fresh squeezed peach juice with a thin white ring of head and small islands on the surface. Aroma is sweet stone fruit jam, vinegar, and wild yeast funk. Flavors are peaches, apricots, nectarines, and acidic vinegar. It has a very full mouthfeel, just the right amount of carbonation and puckering tartness. The finish is mouth-coating, and the flavors linger in a good way. This beer definitely lives up to its hype.

May 09, 2020
GarrettB from Colorado

4.16/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

January 1st, 2016 - Ringing in the new year with a resoundingly good (and increasingly rare) sour from Lost Abbey. This treat is a lovely scent with a well toned sourness, and a touch of banana esters that play second fiddle. The central sourness on the tongue is also tuned to perfection, with just a slight edge twisting the salivary glands and a lovely carbonation. Each sip is its own little rollercoaster of dramatic joy followed by the post-dopamine relief in the aftertaste, cycled again with a new and fresh flavor.

Mar 14, 2020
jhavs from New York

4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016 Bottle poured into teku.

Orange, clear, crisp, active carbonation, frothy off white head.

Citrus zest, grapefruit rind aroma. Slightest hint of funk, some tart apple.

Flavor combines light zesty citrus (lemon) with earthy grass/hay. Some oak balances the tartness and melds with wine grape. A bit of sweetness smooths out a light layer of funk.

Moderate carbonation, soft, tart, medium body.

Overall an excellent brew, excited to try the next vintage that I have in my cellar.

Feb 26, 2020
Sabtos from Ohio

4.23/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Foggy amber-orange with a fuzzy off-white head settling to a thin white film and bubbling surface with a fuzzy bumpy ring.

Smoothly tart green apple, lemon and grapefruit pair with a light sweetness from the red wine barrel, which also contributes a distinct red grape flavor.

The medium body is a little silky and lightly crisp, easily continuing to develop a mild but splintery neutral oak that brings out accents of apricot and toasted sesame before a lightly stinging semi-dry finish.

This would be killer with a ton of apricot in it, as DDG really reminds me of Fou, or at least what its base might be.

---

We enjoyed a 2016 vintage in the fall of 2021, and appearance was clearer, while the taste was woodier with a superbly nutty funk. However, taste also had a touch of butter, while also being more acidic, with a touch of white wine vinegar. I'm not going to change my score, but am a little conflicted on whether I liked it overall or not.

Sep 03, 2019
DrinkThemAll from California

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Vertical of 13' 16' 19'

13 was the best with it's age, then 16 and 19. These guys are great with some age on them. Very distinct between the 3 . 13 is drinking great right now. 19 needs some time. 13 was definitely the best with it's Musty mustard seed funk. Still tart with light carbonation.

May 16, 2019
GuyFawkes from Illinois

3.9/5  rDev -16.3%

2013 vintage; drank 11/20/14 @ California Split.

Murky tangerine color.

Minimal white head; minimal lace.

Tart apple nose.

Medium mouthfeel.

VERY tart apple flavor; one-note & way too sour for me, but bold & memorable.

Mar 09, 2019
Zach_Attack from Massachusetts

4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

04/2016 - This is delicious. It's got a nose that reminds me a traditional gueuze, which rocks for a U.S.-based brewery, plus it has fruity, vinous notes abound!

Sep 25, 2018
Phineasco from Massachusetts

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer pours a Clear gold with a medium frothy white head. It has high champagne like carbonation. The beer smells of lemon, cranberries, pears, hay, and damp funk. It tastes lightly tart, with cranberries, pears, red wine, hay, and damp funk. The feel is medium light, with some sweetness. This is an awesome beer, so complex and nuanced.

Sep 03, 2018
Vidblain from Minnesota

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I took my first and only trip to Great American Beer Fest in 2017, I didn't know a lot about The Lost Abbey - I'd heard a few things about Veritas, and I'd tried a select few of their beers. I was a fan, but I didn't pursue their beer to the degree that I do now. I knew that Duck Duck Gooze was on the top 250 on Beer Advocate - but I never expected that I'd be able to try it.

Well now. I recently made a Facebook friend who used to live in San Diego but now lives and brews in northern Minnesota. Happy coincidence! He happens to love sours, just like I do... he helped me out with a bottle of Duck Duck Gooze (among other things) in our very first trade. I was thrilled, and still am - the beer is fantastic!

It's interesting to me how DDG differs from Belgian gueuze though - the characteristic funk seems to be entirely absent, and the nose doesn't pop to quite the same degree. It smells very nice, but it's a different sort of aroma - and taste. There's a bit of cheese to the taste, and a very light, clean, crisp sort of sour and tart character. Again, the Belgian funk is missing. Perhaps this has been lost with time, but it surprises me as older Belgian lambic still seems to retain that funk. There's also a marked lack of suspension - there's no noteworthy presence of fruit, yeast, or foreign matter of any kind. I don't mind that! I know some really enjoy that in Belgian lambic, but it's a happy absence as far as I'm concerned.

I'd have to say that DDG characterizes all of the things that I love about gueuze, while it also happens to have bypassed the aspects that I am not such a big fan of. It's a terrific beer, and really demonstrates why Lost Abbey is such a hyped and touted brewery. I think that I will always try far harder to pick up bottles of Russian River sours, because they're just a lot more accesible - but I will never pass on the chance to try another bottle of Lost Abbey. Their sours, wilds, and lambics are tremendous, and DDG is one of their best.

Aug 19, 2018
BeanBump from California

4.37/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is notorious in San Diego. Available every 3 years and each time, it creates more and more pandemonium. The most recent sale saw their website crash 3 times, people's orders get canceled and semi-anonymous social media postings containing every combination of swear words and off-color memes you can imagine.

But is it worth the hype?

Sort of. Its good, REALLY GOOD in fact. At $40 per bottle and potentially waiting in long lines to get it...well, you be the judge. I was able to score some with relative ease online but I dont think Id wait in an hours long line for it.

The beer is great, well-balanced, tart, sour, smooth and everything else you could want. This is the closest US beer to Cantillon that Ive ever had. If you can get your hands on it, give it a go. Just dont go bankrupt or sacrifice an entire Saturday for a bottle

Sep 21, 2017
Ciocanelu from Romania

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at Beavertown Extravaganza. Aroma has some sweet malt and fruity lambic notes. Taste is tart, fruity with floral yeast notes, some honey, clean malt and a hint of butterscotch. Really balanced and tasty.

Sep 20, 2017
PBRmeasap1980 from Indiana

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

2013

A- Straw yellow/orange
S- Tart and a bit of funk
T- Very tart, tons of lemon... maybe a bit of stone fruit
F- A bit more syrupy than the Fou I was also tasting
O- Very good wild ale

Jul 12, 2017
GreesyFizeek from New York

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a darkish orange, with a small head and a good bit of lacing.

This smells like super lemony acidity, mineral mustiness, lemongrass, dry hay, stone fruit, and lots of earthy funk.

The taste is similar and incredibly complex. There's a ton of incredibly sour lemon acidity, with a deep and complex funk that feels like lemongrass, hay, chalky minerals, wet oak, and light wine.

This is blended incredibly well, with a full mouthfeel, a high drinkability, and a long lingering sourness on the finish

This is essentially a pinnacle of American sour brewing. It's exemplary.

May 14, 2017
gibgink from Missouri

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful deeper yellow with fluffy white head that is almost sustained by the influx of bubbles from beneath. Funk funk funk on the nose, with a kiss of sweet. There is an initial sweet, that then spreads out into a more earthy flavor, that evolves into a tart finish, with a slight acidic reaction from the 'ol personal heartburn detector. Very good take on the style.

Apr 24, 2017
BeantownBrews from Massachusetts

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016 Vintage poured into a teku:

Cloudy straw-yellow slightly orange pour with small head and constant champagne like carb bubbles rising
Smells a bit like vermouth, some sour/acetic tones, grape, flowery, herbally
WOW, the flavors are incredibly complex floral tones that fade into sour, horse blanket body and finishes like a dry wine
I have to give the feel some love here, the carb is perfect for the style and definitely helps to highlight some of the subtleties

Mar 21, 2017
JohnnyHopps from Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For purposes of this review, 2013 was compared side-by-side to 2016.

Appearance- The beer was a bright straw yellow with a bright white head.

Smell - The sour meshes with the oak.

Taste - This gueuze is so well balanced and far from acidic. It is smooth and oaky with plenty of green apple. 2016 is thinner and not a sour as 2013. To a degree the 2016 seems a bit watery. 2016 even lingers during the 2013 sampling. This is a green apple bonanza. The sour oakinessthis linger so well.

Mouthfeel- I am a little amazed at how well balanced this is. It is sour, but not burning acidic.

Overall- This gueuze is out of this world.

Jan 23, 2017
macrosmatic from Florida

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

**REVIEW NUMBER 1,000**
:and also:
**BEER ADVOCATE BEER NUMBER 1,600**

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this bottle!
2013 bottling. Consumed on Dec. 18, 2016; reviewed from notes. Poured from the 750 mL bottle into an El Catador Barrel Aged glass.

A: Pours a hazy, glowing gold. Forms a thin white head that fades quickly with a relatively low amount of visible carbonation. This isn't bad-looking by any stretch, but appears fairly still. I don't know if that's a consequence of aging or not.

S: Earthy and funky barnyard. Oaky dry tannins, and notes of stone fruits (especially apricot, though I don’t think this that's actually in there. Some lactic tartness, and light biscuit malts in the background. I'm getting more Lacto funk primarily, with lesser Brett notes. A really nice, complex aroma.

T: Lactic tartness and more sour, juicy stone fruits (like a dried apricot). Earthy funk again – Lacto again, and some Pedio I think. Dry citric acid and tannins. The light biscuit malts are still getting snowed under here - it was necessary to search for them. Some dry white wine character. It finishes with some stone fruity juiciness and a drying sourness, and the dry flavors ultimately win out.

M: Light body, very low alcohol presence. Carbonation sensation is just a bit on the low side.

O: Wow…after sitting for three years, this lives up to both the hype and my expectations. And both of those were quite high. Especially as a non-fruited, non-adjuncted sour, it succeeds with a complex and balanced funk and sourness. I guess you could argue provenance vis-a-vis the “authentic” gueuzes of the world, but this absolutely could stand on its own in the conversation.

Jan 07, 2017
WilliamWS from New York

3.83/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Did a side-by-side tasting with DDG, Allagash Coolship Resurgam and Jester King Spon Methode Gueze as part of our annual Xmas eve tasting.
DDG was universally agreed to be third in the group and Resurgam remains, hands down, the best gueze-like American beer and the only one that can go head-to-head with the likes of Cantillon, Drie, and Tilquin.

DDG was good, not great.
It was, visually, quite lovely. The aroma, however, prominently featured an off-putting porta-potty characteristic that very much distracted from the more pleasant funk and citrus fruity esters.

Fortunately, not much of off-putting aroma carried over to the flavor. However, it was a touch sweeter than I'd expect for the style and it seemed that a bit of wine flavor from the barrels came through in the beer-not a bad thing per se but not really appropriate for a gueze style beer.

Overall a good but not overwhelmingly great sour, more of an American Wild than gueze stand-in.

Jan 03, 2017
pmarlowe from Virginia

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle pour at 2016 O’Brien’s SDBW Lost Abbey Beer Dinner.

A: Pours pale straw colored with a half inch of foamy head.

S: Off dry, light brett character (horseblanket, earth), soft fruit (pineapple, orange, candied tangerine), some supporting vanilla and oak. Balance is towards the brett.

T: Follows the nose, with light but firm tartness and moderate creaminess.

M: Medium-light body and carbonation.

O: Tasty, elegant, and well constructed, though the flavors were a bit more muted than expected. Overall, I liked the Veritas 017 and 018 a bit better.

Nov 25, 2016
AMCimpi from New York

4.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Straw with some lovely effervescence. Nice white head that sticks around.
S: Lemon zest, some green apple, wet hay, touch of oak barrel and a little white wine.
T: Similar to the smell, funky and fruity with a touch of oak.
M: This is where this beer really shines. Super soft and champagne like.
O: This beer is wonderful. The smell brings you in and the finish makes you wanting more. Tart up front with that soft, dry finish...crazy good stuff

Oct 14, 2016
rabbott2 from Illinois

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

2016 batch drank in a teku on 10/5/2016

A nice refreshing crisp sour/gueuze. Certainly one of the better gueuze that I have had. Lemony tartness is present and balanced. Not too tart. The red wine barrels definitely are prevalent with a little boozy and nice oaky presence. Glad I can finally cross this one off the list! Very tasty and worth pursuing

Oct 06, 2016