Duck Duck Gooze

Gots
SCORE
World-Class
Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze
Notes: In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.
Reviews: 299 | Ratings: 1,935 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.05/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from a tap at the initial release of Duck Duck Gooze in 2009, lovingly collected in a 16oz clear Solo cup.

So I was doing consulting work in SoCal in 2009. Gueuze wasn't my thing; I'd never had a sip in 40 years of fine beer drinking. My son informed me that the Lost Abbey was putting out this Duck Duck Goose beer that Saturday, that his friend would have donated his right arm to be there, and could I pick up a bottle for his friend. It was a bit of a hike from where I was to where the beer was, and I'd have to stay the weekend to boot. His friend is a good guy, so sure, I'll stay.

I arrived early for the opening, or so I thought. A very long line snaked through the parking lot 90 minutes before release time, and I took my place. I remember the sun was beating down from a cloudless sky, and I was getting an unanticipated sunburn atop my head.

Finally I heard a cheer from the front of the line that quickly snaked by me to the end of the line (I couldn't see it.) There was a 2 bottle limit on purchases, which initially bummed me out (this was the first time I waited in a beer line in 30+ years.) However, inside the warehouse a bar was set up and they were serving healthy pours of DDG.

My initial impressions were negative, as in "what is this?" But as I made my way to the bottom of my Solo cup, it started to grow on me. I was able to get a second pour - same cup - and this one I took my time to savor. I've been drinking gueuze til today.

And the friend: he ended up getting both bottles with my compliments. He repaid me years later with a bottle of Kate the Great. Both of us are older, life's gotten in the way so neither of us follow beer as we used to, until for me anyway COVID has reintroduced me to BA. Hopefully beer follies will begin anew, and I'll be standing in a few more beer lines.

GC2020 from Massachusetts, May 17, 2020

2019 vintage poured into a teku-style glass. Looks like fresh squeezed peach juice with a thin white ring of head and small islands on the surface. Aroma is sweet stone fruit jam, vinegar, and wild yeast funk. Flavors are peaches, apricots, nectarines, and acidic vinegar. It has a very full mouthfeel, just the right amount of carbonation and puckering tartness. The finish is mouth-coating, and the flavors linger in a good way. This beer definitely lives up to its hype.

MJSFS from Florida, May 09, 2020
4.16/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

January 1st, 2016 - Ringing in the new year with a resoundingly good (and increasingly rare) sour from Lost Abbey. This treat is a lovely scent with a well toned sourness, and a touch of banana esters that play second fiddle. The central sourness on the tongue is also tuned to perfection, with just a slight edge twisting the salivary glands and a lovely carbonation. Each sip is its own little rollercoaster of dramatic joy followed by the post-dopamine relief in the aftertaste, cycled again with a new and fresh flavor.

GarrettB from Colorado, Mar 14, 2020
4.65/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016 Bottle poured into teku.

Orange, clear, crisp, active carbonation, frothy off white head.

Citrus zest, grapefruit rind aroma. Slightest hint of funk, some tart apple.

Flavor combines light zesty citrus (lemon) with earthy grass/hay. Some oak balances the tartness and melds with wine grape. A bit of sweetness smooths out a light layer of funk.

Moderate carbonation, soft, tart, medium body.

Overall an excellent brew, excited to try the next vintage that I have in my cellar.

jhavs from New Hampshire, Feb 26, 2020
4.23/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Foggy amber-orange with a fuzzy off-white head settling to a thin white film and bubbling surface with a fuzzy bumpy ring.

Smoothly tart green apple, lemon and grapefruit pair with a light sweetness from the red wine barrel, which also contributes a distinct red grape flavor.

The medium body is a little silky and lightly crisp, easily continuing to develop a mild but splintery neutral oak that brings out accents of apricot and toasted sesame before a lightly stinging semi-dry finish.

This would be killer with a ton of apricot in it, as DDG really reminds me of Fou, or at least what its base might be.

Sabtos from Ohio, Sep 03, 2019
4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Vertical of 13' 16' 19'

13 was the best with it's age, then 16 and 19. These guys are great with some age on them. Very distinct between the 3 . 13 is drinking great right now. 19 needs some time. 13 was definitely the best with it's Musty mustard seed funk. Still tart with light carbonation.

DrinkThemAll from California, May 16, 2019
3.9/5  rDev -16.3%

2013 vintage; drank 11/20/14 @ California Split.

Murky tangerine color.

Minimal white head; minimal lace.

Tart apple nose.

Medium mouthfeel.

VERY tart apple flavor; one-note & way too sour for me, but bold & memorable.

GuyFawkes from Illinois, Mar 09, 2019
4.64/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

04/2016 - This is delicious. It's got a nose that reminds me a traditional gueuze, which rocks for a U.S.-based brewery, plus it has fruity, vinous notes abound!

Zach_Attack from Massachusetts, Sep 25, 2018
4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

The beer pours a Clear gold with a medium frothy white head. It has high champagne like carbonation. The beer smells of lemon, cranberries, pears, hay, and damp funk. It tastes lightly tart, with cranberries, pears, red wine, hay, and damp funk. The feel is medium light, with some sweetness. This is an awesome beer, so complex and nuanced.

Phineasco from Massachusetts, Sep 03, 2018
4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

When I took my first and only trip to Great American Beer Fest in 2017, I didn't know a lot about The Lost Abbey - I'd heard a few things about Veritas, and I'd tried a select few of their beers. I was a fan, but I didn't pursue their beer to the degree that I do now. I knew that Duck Duck Gooze was on the top 250 on Beer Advocate - but I never expected that I'd be able to try it.

Well now. I recently made a Facebook friend who used to live in San Diego but now lives and brews in northern Minnesota. Happy coincidence! He happens to love sours, just like I do... he helped me out with a bottle of Duck Duck Gooze (among other things) in our very first trade. I was thrilled, and still am - the beer is fantastic!

It's interesting to me how DDG differs from Belgian gueuze though - the characteristic funk seems to be entirely absent, and the nose doesn't pop to quite the same degree. It smells very nice, but it's a different sort of aroma - and taste. There's a bit of cheese to the taste, and a very light, clean, crisp sort of sour and tart character. Again, the Belgian funk is missing. Perhaps this has been lost with time, but it surprises me as older Belgian lambic still seems to retain that funk. There's also a marked lack of suspension - there's no noteworthy presence of fruit, yeast, or foreign matter of any kind. I don't mind that! I know some really enjoy that in Belgian lambic, but it's a happy absence as far as I'm concerned.

I'd have to say that DDG characterizes all of the things that I love about gueuze, while it also happens to have bypassed the aspects that I am not such a big fan of. It's a terrific beer, and really demonstrates why Lost Abbey is such a hyped and touted brewery. I think that I will always try far harder to pick up bottles of Russian River sours, because they're just a lot more accesible - but I will never pass on the chance to try another bottle of Lost Abbey. Their sours, wilds, and lambics are tremendous, and DDG is one of their best.

Vidblain from Minnesota, Aug 19, 2018
4.37/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is notorious in San Diego. Available every 3 years and each time, it creates more and more pandemonium. The most recent sale saw their website crash 3 times, people's orders get canceled and semi-anonymous social media postings containing every combination of swear words and off-color memes you can imagine.

But is it worth the hype?

Sort of. Its good, REALLY GOOD in fact. At $40 per bottle and potentially waiting in long lines to get it...well, you be the judge. I was able to score some with relative ease online but I dont think Id wait in an hours long line for it.

The beer is great, well-balanced, tart, sour, smooth and everything else you could want. This is the closest US beer to Cantillon that Ive ever had. If you can get your hands on it, give it a go. Just dont go bankrupt or sacrifice an entire Saturday for a bottle

BeanBump from California, Sep 21, 2017
4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

On tap at Beavertown Extravaganza. Aroma has some sweet malt and fruity lambic notes. Taste is tart, fruity with floral yeast notes, some honey, clean malt and a hint of butterscotch. Really balanced and tasty.

Ciocanelu from Romania, Sep 20, 2017
4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

2013

A- Straw yellow/orange
S- Tart and a bit of funk
T- Very tart, tons of lemon... maybe a bit of stone fruit
F- A bit more syrupy than the Fou I was also tasting
O- Very good wild ale

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This one pours a darkish orange, with a small head and a good bit of lacing.

This smells like super lemony acidity, mineral mustiness, lemongrass, dry hay, stone fruit, and lots of earthy funk.

The taste is similar and incredibly complex. There's a ton of incredibly sour lemon acidity, with a deep and complex funk that feels like lemongrass, hay, chalky minerals, wet oak, and light wine.

This is blended incredibly well, with a full mouthfeel, a high drinkability, and a long lingering sourness on the finish

This is essentially a pinnacle of American sour brewing. It's exemplary.

GreesyFizeek from New York, May 14, 2017
4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a beautiful deeper yellow with fluffy white head that is almost sustained by the influx of bubbles from beneath. Funk funk funk on the nose, with a kiss of sweet. There is an initial sweet, that then spreads out into a more earthy flavor, that evolves into a tart finish, with a slight acidic reaction from the 'ol personal heartburn detector. Very good take on the style.

gibgink from Missouri, Apr 24, 2017
4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2016 Vintage poured into a teku:

Cloudy straw-yellow slightly orange pour with small head and constant champagne like carb bubbles rising
Smells a bit like vermouth, some sour/acetic tones, grape, flowery, herbally
WOW, the flavors are incredibly complex floral tones that fade into sour, horse blanket body and finishes like a dry wine
I have to give the feel some love here, the carb is perfect for the style and definitely helps to highlight some of the subtleties

BeantownBrews from Massachusetts, Mar 21, 2017
4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

For purposes of this review, 2013 was compared side-by-side to 2016.

Appearance- The beer was a bright straw yellow with a bright white head.

Smell - The sour meshes with the oak.

Taste - This gueuze is so well balanced and far from acidic. It is smooth and oaky with plenty of green apple. 2016 is thinner and not a sour as 2013. To a degree the 2016 seems a bit watery. 2016 even lingers during the 2013 sampling. This is a green apple bonanza. The sour oakinessthis linger so well.

Mouthfeel- I am a little amazed at how well balanced this is. It is sour, but not burning acidic.

Overall- This gueuze is out of this world.

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

**REVIEW NUMBER 1,000**
:and also:
**BEER ADVOCATE BEER NUMBER 1,600**

Thanks to eyebereej for sending this bottle!
2013 bottling. Consumed on Dec. 18, 2016; reviewed from notes. Poured from the 750 mL bottle into an El Catador Barrel Aged glass.

A: Pours a hazy, glowing gold. Forms a thin white head that fades quickly with a relatively low amount of visible carbonation. This isn't bad-looking by any stretch, but appears fairly still. I don't know if that's a consequence of aging or not.

S: Earthy and funky barnyard. Oaky dry tannins, and notes of stone fruits (especially apricot, though I don’t think this that's actually in there. Some lactic tartness, and light biscuit malts in the background. I'm getting more Lacto funk primarily, with lesser Brett notes. A really nice, complex aroma.

T: Lactic tartness and more sour, juicy stone fruits (like a dried apricot). Earthy funk again – Lacto again, and some Pedio I think. Dry citric acid and tannins. The light biscuit malts are still getting snowed under here - it was necessary to search for them. Some dry white wine character. It finishes with some stone fruity juiciness and a drying sourness, and the dry flavors ultimately win out.

M: Light body, very low alcohol presence. Carbonation sensation is just a bit on the low side.

O: Wow…after sitting for three years, this lives up to both the hype and my expectations. And both of those were quite high. Especially as a non-fruited, non-adjuncted sour, it succeeds with a complex and balanced funk and sourness. I guess you could argue provenance vis-a-vis the “authentic” gueuzes of the world, but this absolutely could stand on its own in the conversation.

3.83/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Did a side-by-side tasting with DDG, Allagash Coolship Resurgam and Jester King Spon Methode Gueze as part of our annual Xmas eve tasting.
DDG was universally agreed to be third in the group and Resurgam remains, hands down, the best gueze-like American beer and the only one that can go head-to-head with the likes of Cantillon, Drie, and Tilquin.

DDG was good, not great.
It was, visually, quite lovely. The aroma, however, prominently featured an off-putting porta-potty characteristic that very much distracted from the more pleasant funk and citrus fruity esters.

Fortunately, not much of off-putting aroma carried over to the flavor. However, it was a touch sweeter than I'd expect for the style and it seemed that a bit of wine flavor from the barrels came through in the beer-not a bad thing per se but not really appropriate for a gueze style beer.

Overall a good but not overwhelmingly great sour, more of an American Wild than gueze stand-in.

WilliamWS from New York, Jan 03, 2017
4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle pour at 2016 O’Brien’s SDBW Lost Abbey Beer Dinner.

A: Pours pale straw colored with a half inch of foamy head.

S: Off dry, light brett character (horseblanket, earth), soft fruit (pineapple, orange, candied tangerine), some supporting vanilla and oak. Balance is towards the brett.

T: Follows the nose, with light but firm tartness and moderate creaminess.

M: Medium-light body and carbonation.

O: Tasty, elegant, and well constructed, though the flavors were a bit more muted than expected. Overall, I liked the Veritas 017 and 018 a bit better.

pmarlowe from Virginia, Nov 25, 2016
4.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Straw with some lovely effervescence. Nice white head that sticks around.
S: Lemon zest, some green apple, wet hay, touch of oak barrel and a little white wine.
T: Similar to the smell, funky and fruity with a touch of oak.
M: This is where this beer really shines. Super soft and champagne like.
O: This beer is wonderful. The smell brings you in and the finish makes you wanting more. Tart up front with that soft, dry finish...crazy good stuff

AMCimpi from New York, Oct 14, 2016
4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

2016 batch drank in a teku on 10/5/2016

A nice refreshing crisp sour/gueuze. Certainly one of the better gueuze that I have had. Lemony tartness is present and balanced. Not too tart. The red wine barrels definitely are prevalent with a little boozy and nice oaky presence. Glad I can finally cross this one off the list! Very tasty and worth pursuing

rabbott2 from Illinois, Oct 06, 2016
4.69/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding! I'm still not 100% aboard the sour train, but this is definitely a strong push in the right direction. I enjoyed batch 2 over the weekend with a friend and he gave it even higher marks than me. Wish they brewed it a little bit more often though..

4.33/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Previous review is for the 2009, it was a 4.5. I remember it being very sour, I had it in 2011. anxious to see how it is fresh

looks fantastic and smells great! nice funky and sour up front on the nose.
taste is a bit sour and some nice sweetness. great oak. beer is full bodied for a 7%er.
overall this a good beer, but don't make my mistake. give this a year or 2 to pucker up and get funky like the nose, right now it's a bit too young. I'll bet the 2013 is drinking fantastic right now.

KevSal from California, Sep 05, 2016
4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 poured into a snifter. Pours golden with little head. Smells of white grapes and dry red wine. Light bodied busting with grapes and pear as the carbonation wiskes across the tongue. This beer finishes with a little funk, barrel and mild acidity. Overall this beer is a true art form. A must have for gueze and wild ale lovers alike.

sposter4 from Pennsylvania, Aug 28, 2016