Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

YOUR RATING = None |
Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
California, United States | website

Style: American Wild Ale

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 268 | Ratings: 1,629
4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Strong pop from the cork, emitting a little wisp of gunsmoke, then laid into a lambic basket to serve it.

Dusty crystalline orange with an ethereal haze of skim across the surface. It was like a web of spindly clouds that ebb and fade on the wind. A thin ring at the edge with some random spotty lace around, the broken skim remained for the whole glass.

Lemon custard, wet hay, citrus aromas, very authentic and Belgian lambic inspired. Woody farmhouse funk that further supports the lambic impression. With a swirl it intensifies with a sharp acid/petrol note.

Dry and tart with lots of unique fruit for a Wild Ale. Lemon and sweet tarts, with an ever so slight edge of sweetness that surfaces at the back. The sour/sweet balance is near perfect, lending to the puckering feel with the salivary glands working overtime. A nice mellow softness enhances the overall feel of it, in contrast to the sharpness of a traditional Gueuze. 7/10 on the sour scale. The finish is dry with some oaky barrel traces in the aftertaste. This is an exercise in self-control not to just gulp the whole bottle down. One of the most drinkable Wild Ale examples out there. Though incredible, i'd still give the slight edge to Isabelle. Would love to taste some Phunky Duck, as this blend is very tasty.

Huge thanks to Weibull for his overflowing generosity, never thought i'd get to try this! Thanks also to Masterski for the preview sample!

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

In my study of the American Wild Ale I had read about the elusive Duck Duck Gooze. So wasn't I happy when on a trip down to The Lost Abbey on Sunday that they had, what I now affectionately call Duck Duck, available. From notes on 2/21/2010.

A: Pours a golden orange with a white head that quickly dissipates.

S: A crisp sourness that imparts a citrus smell of lemon and orange.

T: The taste follows the smell. Was anticipating a more intense sour but found it to be a rather smooth tartness. Very citrusy.

M: Drinking enough of this makes the teeth feel stripped and the tongue rough but it's so good I just don't care.

D: Definitely a sipping beer due to the sour. While it does leave the palate feeling "stripped" I could literally drink this all day. This one gets an overall "major noms" from me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a taster glass. 2013 vintage. Reviewed from notes.

Pours an amber, hazy body with a white head. Aromas are tart, funky, grassy, white wine, oak, citrus. On the tongue is a delicious tartness, interesting oak character, grassy, hay, barnyard, bright stone fruit, super dry with a crisp funky aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light with high carbonation, very dry and crisp.

Lived up to the hype! This beer is amazing.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Matt for supplying. Sweet pick-up from So Cal.

A - Pours a hazy golden color with 1 finger of head. It dissipates moderately fast and leaves little lacing. The carbonation is low.

S - Brett and lacto at first followed by subtler characters of honey and maybe a bit of caramel. There is a hint of oak as well.

T - Brett and lacto are the most prevalent flavors. As the beer warms up there are more fruity esters, but also perhaps this beer was aged in a white wine barrel as well. Definitely oak and caramel and honey compose the background. Hops are minimal, but just enough to leave some residual bittering flavor.

M - Moderate bodied and malt dominated, with funk and sourness. Also, a residual amount of sweetness present from the esters and oak aging.

D - Exceptional. I could really sit and session with this sour. The sourness is not too much (cuvee rene) as the white wine barrel aging adds residual sweetness. Definitely a top 100 beer.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

A. Pops with just a tiny fizz. Pours a clear yellow with some orange in it. A small fizzy white head rises.

S. Oaky upfront. With lemon, green apple, some vinegar, notes similiar to

T. Lots of granny smith, good high level of tartness, some funkiness, lemon peel, a lot more sweetness than expected. Barnyard characteristics are more apparent in the bottom of the bottle.

M. Thin body with high carbonation.

D. Very drinkable. The front is more tart while the tail is funkier.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured on tap into plastic sampling cup, so unable to appreciated true head/lacing. Appearance-hazy, pale yellow, almost little milky. Lightly/perfect carbonation. Smell-tart, sweet, citrusy, little funk on the side w/sourness but not super funky or 'horse blankety' in any way. Very dry finish and easy drinking. Could drink several of these unlike many wild ales that are more sippers. Very well balanced IMO.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2013 vintage
Best smelling sour I've encountered...just a white grape/wine bomb
Taste is not far behind-tons of light fruity, tart funky character...easy drinking

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Whew. The wait is over! Had this on tap today along with a boatload of other folks at the Lost Abbey Christmas in July. Had a fantastic time, big ups to the whole staff and for having such an awesome and worthy event for beer lovers.

Appearance: Yellow with a straw-white head and nice carbonation. Solid, but it really belied what was inside.

Smell: Tartness comes through, even in the nose. Green apple, grape, and hints of cherry with very little yeast. Highly sour and sweet smells alike, and on a hot day like today, just sounded awesome.

Taste: Now, I just want to say before I fully review: I haven't had too many sour beers, but this beer was incredible. Full bodied tartness that really makes you pucker, with the grape, green apple, and hints of peach really layering it on thick in the taste department. Wow, just so interesting, refreshing, and just absolutely tasty through and through.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and well carbonated, with a lasting pucker post-swallow that eventually fades to a dry and sweet finish. Really nice.

Drinkability: As drinkable as they come. I could've gone through pint after pint of this, and would've had it not started to run out / me go broke. But as great as I'd hoped, and here's to hoping it's all that and more out of the bottle!

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Devin for the bottle! I've been wanting to try this for quite some time.

Duck Duck Gooze pours a clear, light-orange with a thin white head on top. Good lacing left behind. Looks great for an American Wild.

Lots of sour mustiness on the nose. Hay and acidity with a faint hint of ethanol. Peaches and light fruits. Touch of vinegar and white grape. Strong and enjoyable. One the best wild ale aromas I've had the pleasure of nosing.

Peach, pear and apple enveloped in a wave of nice sourness on the tongue. A decent vinegar burn lingers on the finish. Very juicy and acidic, mixed with sweet malts. The flavor profile is great. The balance between fruitiness and sourness is very good. I feel like this going to get pretty acidic in another year or so, but at the moment it's like sour liquid candy.

Mouthfeel has a really nice sour kick to it. Smooth long burn on the finish. Perfect carbonation. Very smooth, almost slippery. Well done.

This is a very drinkable wild. The sourness is starting to become more intense, which makes this more of a sipper, but a sipper that is full of complexity and great flavor. This is most definitely one of the best sour beers I have ever had, especially from an American brewery. Really a must for all sour heads. I can't wait for the next release. Great job Lost Abbey.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle pour into a taster glass (2013 vintage). Tart, sour, pear notes that balance nicely with the oak. Excellent beer...would love to try the 2010 vintage sometime down the road.

4.64/5  rDev +2.4%

Consumed at the lost abbey on 2/27/10 on the day of the carnavelle release party.

A: poured a murky golden yellow with a thin white head and a little sticky lacing on the glass.

S: huge citric lemon aroma with hints of oaky barrel funk, viinegar, and apples as well.

T: beautiful puckering sour lemon flavor that is pretty intense with oaky apple notes that make the beer quite acidic.

D: I love sour beers and this one is definitely one of my favorites that has a great sour punch and great flavor to back it up. I really hope I can get more of this sour elixer.

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

A huge thanks to John for hosting such an amazing tasting

This beer pours a beautiful yellow color and is surprisingly clear, only a very slight haze to it. the head is white and laces the glass. the smell is sour, with hints of fruit like green apple, also detect some oak. the taste is pretty close to the smell, it has that lactic sour, with hints of fruit, a little funk to it. the mouthfeel is on the light to medium side with good carbonation. this beer is sour and very drinkable.

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

From a 750 mL at the brewery. Plenty of "ooohs" and "aaaahs" as we took it back to our table.

A: Beautiful, faintly hazy, luminescent gold color. Thin film of sudsy white head, which is stirred up nicely by a swirl.

S: Lightly funky, but tart citrus, grain, and lactic notes dominate. Appetizing.

T: Balanced citrus, tart apple, and honeyed peach flavors. Just a touch of barnyardy notes... certainly much less than in some European examples I've had. This will appeal to more palates than Oude Geueze, for example; it is very, very easy to like. One person said it was like champagne (?).

M: Cuts well, but very balanced and smooth-textured.

D: Tops. I could drink this ALL FREAKIN' DAY.

So glad I got to try this. Absolutely wonderful.

4.62/5  rDev +2%

Served On-Tap at Monk's Cafe for Philly Beer Week. I love this city! Thanks Tomme and Tom.

Coming at me with a hazy yellowish blond look with hints of orange poking around in there. Looks a bit lighter than medium in build and there is no head at all from the tap, no lacing. Smells include big musk of barn with horse and hay. A big basket of lemons and assorted fruits. Oak, wood and some musty aroma with a dousing of brett, maybe lacto? Smells like it's going to be sour. And it is, a nice sour gueuze. I had this out of the bottle young and can tell it's only growing in funk. Taste is tart lemon drops with apricot and small pineapple blast. Warming brings a bit of apple to the stage. In the middle a earthy taste with oak tannins but not any vanilla which is ok by me. The sourness is pleasant and a bit acidic, but not quite there yet. There is actually a nice faint sweetness going along with the sour in that order. Puckering, yes, overly puckering, no. Quite balanced. Medium bodied and nicely carbed. Crisp and semi dry I 'll take another please. Id like to see where this goes in a year or two but the chances of getting another bottle are slim. Another winner.

4.62/5  rDev +2%

Bottle courtesy of Bankhead at the Charlottesville tasting--thanks so much! Delicious!

A: Very bubbly with about half a finger of head that disappears almost instantly into very large bubbles. Light peach and tangerine in the color. Looks like a very dark, yellowish white wine. Almost no lacing, even with agitation, but sill very pretty, especially the hazy white residue across the top of the beer.

S: As could probably be predicted with ease, very very sour. Slight hint of syrupy candy--perhaps bubblegum? A bit of white grapes, light orange, and white vinegar. There's also a nice barnyard funk with pretty dominant notes of hay and horse hair, saddle leather, as well as sweet grass.

T: Very sour and acidic taste approximating sour powder, yet tempered by other elements of the taste. A ton of white vinegar and white grapes here--which I absolutely love--as well as a heavy grapefruit taste. There's a slight funk to the taste, also, which is expressed as slight hay and grass as well as a sort of earthy or maybe a bitter herb or oak, as well as a little bit of a leathery taste.

M: a little sparkly and very fine, tiny bubbles form a crisp, refreshing, sour brew. Very fine bubbles--I almost want them to be a little bigger, though not by much. It's still very good, but I'm not sure I could put it up to a 4.5 or 5. Almost no aftertaste whatsoever.

D: highly drinkable. Mmmm. I have a feeling that if I weren't trying to get a review out of the tasting amount, this one would be gone pretty quickly (though the sour does naturally slow you down slightly).

4.62/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to Damian and Lona for this one. Awesome!

A: Gold, clear color with little head and lacing. Good.

S: wow, awesome funk backed up by plenty of oak, vanilla, bright fruits and a definite alcohol nose. Nice mature smell.

T: Clear funk with grape, bright fruit, oak barrel, vanilla, and champagne. Lots of wild yeast, and a sweet dry finish. Really nice.

M: Smooth, well carbonated and beautiful dry feel.

D: Excellent drinker for a sour. Very nice.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Received two bottles of this in the mail courtesy of Papollo as a gift. Awesome and huge thanks again!

Appearance- Pours without exaggeration one of the best looking American wild ales that I've seen. A beautiful golden with a good deal of carbonation and about one finger of tight white head that sticks around for a bit and then dies back to a thin layer. The bottom of the bottle is a bit hazy as it pours out, and I add a little of the residual yeast to my glass, making it a nice cloudy golden.

Smell- Very lactic and tart up from. Very vinous and smells of white grapes, citrus, and apples. A fair amount of barnyard and actually the first time that I think I've smelled leather/horseblanket in a beer before as well. Always wondered about those, but here they are, and I've smelled horseblankets before, and it is surprisingly similar. Excellent and complex nose.

Taste- Very tart. Again, very vinous, almost like a white wine with grape being the predominant citrus flavor and also some apple. Funk is pretty strong, especially in my glass given that I added some yeast (tried a sip from a cup poured from the top of the bottle, which was definitely less funky). Barnyard shows up again a bit, but less strong than the nose. Very tart, delicious, and easy to drink.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Spot on carbonation and more body than I'm used to for the style. Excellent in my opinion, and the drinkability is great and makes it worth the price tag.

Overall, lives up to the hype machine. A great beer and though labeled an American wild ale, the closest American approximation to a Belgian gueuze that I've ever tasted I'd say. I have a second bottle that I'm going to age and give another try. We'll see how this one grows. Get a bottle if you can.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Purchased at the Pizza Port Carlsbad back in early August. Sampled on September 15, 2009.

A: Beautiful golden, tawny apricot color with a fairly long-lasting bone-white head. The initial head on a semi-hard pour into my tulip glass was a little over an inch, and it has settled down to a little over a quarter of an inch. Rich effervescent bubbles immediately after the pour settle into a mild vertical flight of carbonation as the brew settles. The lacing clings mildly as I quaff the beer down.

S: A prickly sourness is the most apparent scent upon first sniff. As I bring the glass back for another whiff, I smell sweet Meyer lemons alongside sour green grapes and a few tropical notes. There's also a slight oakiness, which I gather will assert itself further as the beer warms from fridge temperature. As it warms, there is a little more of a slightly funky earthy aroma.

T: As with the nose, there is a mouth-puckering tartness as I take my first sip; it takes my mouth a moment to adjust, and my eyes have gotten a little watery. While I'm certainly no sour expert, I wouldn't recommend this as a beginner's wild ale. As I get further into the glass I can detect a lot more--the lemon is much less pronounced in the taste, and coming further is more of a Granny Smith-type sourness.

M: The tartness is obvious and the first sip made my lips pucker and left my cheeks quite dry; the dryness subsides as my palate becomes more accustomed to the beverage, but the refreshing acidic tartness remains throughout. The carbonation is fairly light, which is very nice and refreshing on what is hopefully one of the last hot days here in Northern Virginia. My biggest complaint is that this is something my taste buds were able to adjust to a little too much, as the last sip wasn't nearly as puckering as the first couple. Also, while not a style that needs plenty of carbonation, this one could use a tad bit more.

D: Drinkability is quite high; as I took my second sip, I was saddened by the fact that I had only another 700 mL or so of this tart, puckering nectar. While this may not have been the kindest year to Lost Abbey, Duck Duck Gooze is certainly making the brightest impression upon me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've had this a couple of times now, last time a bottle I split with my wife. Just a fantastic brew, and everything I was looking for in the style. Sure, its still on the young side and exhibits more of the acetic and lactic notes than it does the barnyard at this juncture, but I like that too. Really its a matter of taste. The analogy that comes to mind is that of a soft, washed rind cheese- do you like it ripe, runny, and rank, or do you like it a little firmer, slightly sour, and just a bit piquant? Same with wild ales for me. I like them both ways, and I think one can have a classic in either maturity level. This particular beer is a classic for me in the younger, tarter vein. This pours a hazy yellow with a thin wispy head that sticks around. Smells beautifully balanced with sour acetic, lactic, and bright fruit- the fruit components showcase orange, tangerine, and muscat. Just beautiful. The taste has a long lactic finish, bright citrus, and some light funk coupled with nice firm tannins from the oak. The mouthfeel is lactic and punchy with enough tannins to give some structure to the sour fruit. Great beer, and a testament to what Lost Abbey can do when eveerything goes well.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks to dagspaceyo for sharing this one.

Opens with a nice pop to it. Poured into stone old guardian snifter.

Pours hardly and head. Color is a nice hazed sunset hued orange straw color. Some sediment in the glass.

Aroma: Lots of horse blanket and funk. A nice amount of fruit: peaches, muskmelon, grapes, and cherries. Very nice aroma. Some oak and citric acid as well.

Taste: A lot like the aroma. Nice and funky. Horse blanket with lots of fruit: peaches, apricots, grapes, and cherries. It starts out sour and tart, but then ends a lot sweeter and clean. The oak and citric acid shows in a good way again.

Mouthfeel: Sour and tart. Lighter to medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation, but nice for the style. Ends sweet and clean.

Overall, this is one fine beer. Very drinkable. I slowly savored this one to try and make it last longer. Very good. I really enjoyed how it started sour and ended sweet. Glad I got to try this one. Thanks Daniel!

Edit, after having a bottle thanks to kbutler1, I just can't set this beer down. Amazing drinkability *bumped score to a 5.0.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

5 oz. pour. HUGE thanks to BMan1113VR for bringing this to my tasting last night. Review from notes.

Murky straw golden color. Finger of fluffy white head that dies down to a layer of foam. No lace.

Smells quite sour. Horse blanket. Sour white grapes.

Tastes of white wine, horse blanket, peaches, apricots, and sour grapes. Refreshing and bright.

Mouthfeel is pretty puckering, light bodied, and light carbonation.

Pretty insanely drinkable. Great to try this one. Would be awesome on a hot summer day.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Review from notes. Huge thanks to Jay for opening this one up.

A: Pours a clear, extremely golden color with no head or lacing at all.

S: Nice tartness, very fragrant peach, apricot, and a little bit of lemon. There is a very nice sourness mixed with some light funk and acid, but the fruit is quite nice.

T: Fantastic, lots of lemon and peach with a great mixture of tart/funk/earthy flavors. There is some citrus fruit and a little stone fruit. Very sharp acidity on the back end. Faint oak comes through as well.

M: Medium bodied, extremely smooth with a great level of carbonation.

O: Lives up to its reputation. Great fruit flavor with the level of sourness/acidity that I love in this style. Thanks again Jay!

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%

Many thanks to Greg for opening a bottle of this at his tasting! From notes on 1/16.

Pours a kind of hazy yellowish peach color with a good amount of wispy white foam. Leaves some abstract lacing.

Very complex nose. Lots going on here varying from musty bales of hay and leathery notes down low to brighter fruity flavors of tart citrus and granny smith apples on the surface. Some more rich funkiness is evident as it warms and presents itself in a dirty gym sock kind of way. A bit of damp wood, moderate acidity prefacing what's to come.

Initial sharp tartness leads to a good bretty funk mid palate. Some sweet fruitiness is evident which helps ease the acidity, though not by much at all. Lemon zest and a little buttery wood. Like if you toasted a piece of oak as if it were bread, then spread a light layer of butter on it. Anyway, it ends pretty dry.

A very nice level of carbonation makes this brew even more pleasing to the palate and begs for another sip. I would drink a bottle of this every week or so if I had a couple people around to share a bottle. DDG is by no means an introductory sour, but the flavor really isn't too intense. I was digging the aroma much more. Having said that, this beer is pretty...pretty....pretty good. I look forward to seeing how it develops with a little time.

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle of the 2013 release. Poured into a Lost Abbey teku glass today, 4/23/2014.

Review #551.

A- Straw yellow-brown body. One finger white head, fair retention, not a ton of lacing. In comparison to Beatification, this looks pretty much just like Sour in the Rye- aka a darker hued blonde.

S- There is a lot of lacto here, as evidenced by a thick, wet yogurt acidity that somewhat comes to dominate the nose. There is some vinous qualities, a bit of vinegar, tart apple flavours, sharp yeast flavours and a nice dry oak contribution. No real red wine barrel notes, but the vinous notes I do get seem to remind me more of a dry white wine.

F- This is where DDG shines the most. This is easily one of the more complex American wild ales I've ever had the opportunity to try. Dry oak, vinous grape, lactobacillus & yogurt, vinegar, a bit of breadiness, tart green apple, chardonnay. It's definitely a pleasure to drink and dissect. Very complex palate profile.

M- Medium bodied, not quite custardy but a bit thicker than a typical sour that's intended to be fashioned in the style of the Belgian lambic. Nice carbonation that leaves a nice fizzy finish initially, but that's lost after a little while.

O- This is probably one of the most complex American wild ales that I'll ever have the chance to try. It does seem to fade in the nose and flavour as it warms up, but I still enjoyed this a lot. I believe people when they say this and Beatification are better than Cable Car, and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to try a good one-third of a 750ml bottle of this to dissect and enjoy. Its certainly not an Armand'4 geuze, but as far as American wilds go, this is excellent.

Re-review: 2009 cork and caged bottle, served in a minisnifter 4/30/2016. I would argue that this is much more well-rounded than the 2013 bottle we drank concurrently; a fair bit of ground peppercorn and lemon remain prominent, but much less of the green apple tartness on the nose and on the palate. It's more elegant and well-constructed compared to its successor, yet just as complex and aromatic. Now I understand why people put a big premium on the 2009 vintage as compared to the 2013 vintage.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

Draft at Monk's during Philly Beer Week 2010.

Beautiful golden with fluffy cream colored head and persistent lacing. Bubbles emanating from the bottom of the glass throughout the drink.

Aroma was butter and lemon, along with some vanilla and hints of grapefruit and grass.

Great tart lemon up front and some nice vanilla earthy funk on the finish.

Slight acidity and great carbonation, relatively light body.

Overall, another fantastic and drinkable sour from Tomme..

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey