Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

Reviews: 277 | Ratings: 1,707
4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Received this brew from 0110x011 when it was released. I've been saving this for some reason and review #700 seems like a good enough reason. Drank from my The Lost Abbey goblet.

Review #700

Appearance- Pours a crystal clear yellow with tinges of orange with a nice half finger fizzy white head. No cap remains but a thin collar hangs the entire beer along with a crystal clear glass that contains zero lacing.
Smell- Perhaps one of the fruitiest Wild Ales I've smelled that doesn't actually contain fruit. Whiffs of pineapple and kiwi come to mind upon my initial inhale. It's nicely tart smelling with plenty of green apple and apple cider vinegar. My mouth is salivating already at the sour goodness that's about to hit it. A bit of oak is easily noticeable as is a touch of vanilla amongst everything. Not necessarily the dankest sour I've smelled but there is a bit of horsey aspect.
Taste- Starts with a nice sour bite that is definitely bracing and nice. Again, really fruity at times with a peach and green apple thing that's really nice. Once my mouth acclimates is when I really start to love this stuff. The vinegar aspect is strong and something about it reminds me of some sort of cherry thing. Obviously very acidic and even a light malty toast comes into play. The oak is strong in this one as is the vanillin. Nothing funky in the brew to me at all. It's even ever so slightly sweet toward the finish but the sour lingers on and on.
Mouthfeel- Nice hefty body, especially for the style. The carbonation is fairly aggressive and spot on and a nice quenching finish is bomb.com.
Drinkability- I knew this was going to be good. It's been a fairly obvious consensus on BA for quite some time and I wasn't let down in the least. Supremely drinkable and mega enjoyable, wish I had another bottle to lay down for awhile. Thanks much Matt!

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

'13 from bottle. Pours a golden orange. Smells of intertwined wine, oak, funk, and sour fruit. Taste is a perfect blend of tart and sour balanced by the oak. Has a slightly slightly thicker feel that is wonderfully smooth. Perfect tang and carb. This is as good as a sour gets.

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared with a friend, poured into 2 snifters.

A: Murky yellow/orange color with almost no head.
S: First thing I noticed is how sour it smells. Tons of oak and lemon. A bit of peach and funkiness.
T: Very sour! Some funk and lots of citrusy sourness. Less funky than 3F and Cantillon gueuzes. A bit sweet with peaches/lemons and some oak flavors. Clean, minimal funk finish.
M: Sour but not overpowering. Finishes dry, which leaves you just wanting more! Very light and super drinkable.
O: Amazing beer, worthy of its praise. Reminded me a lot of Beatification.

4.81/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros and company at the last whale tasting. Reviewed from notes. Think this was an 09 vintage.

A - Poured into my Kate the Great tulip a hazy straw hue with a sudsy head that fades to a thin blanket. Nice light lacing here.

S - Super, super sour tart funk. Big, tart lemons with lots of oak barrel. Some nice green apple notes too. Oh wow!

T - TONS of green apples here, tart, tart sour green apple sinks as well. Lemons and green apples with good earthy notes as well along with light oak.

M - Mouthfeel is super tart and delicious. Never really puckering, but almost mind shattering dry.

O - Overall this was an exceptional bottle. So glad I got to try this little slice of heaven.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

A huge thanks to Andy (wedgie9) for opening this up at a mini tasting last night. Also, a massive thanks to Patrick (kingkong) for trading one of these to me which will be opened in the near future with family. Cheers to two great BA’s!

Appearance – Pours a hazy, golden color into a Lost Abbey tulip. Slight off white head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates relatively fast leaving slight lacing.

Smell – Man oh man. Tons of tart, funk up front. Wet hay/grass, musty barnyard, slight leather. Hints of vinegar, acetone, and lemons. As the beer warms nice oak characteristics emerge as well as sour fruits and granny smith apples. Wonderful.

Taste – My mouth puckers before the beer even touches my lips. Honestly, the taste is pretty spot on with the nose. Wonderful lemon flavor mixed in with the barnyard funk. The oak characteristics shine as the beer warms, as does the slight vinegar and acetone. The fruit flavors are simply fantastic, with the lemon fading to green apple, and peaches. The beer is everything I wanted it to be.

Mouthfeel – Lighter/medium bodied, slight prickly carbonation, finishes damn dry.

Overall – A wonderful beer. Very glad I was able to try this now and have one to open later. Rip on LA or TA as much as you want, but he can make some damn good sours. Simply put, one of the best beers I’ve had. The first beer of the night and the best in my opinion. Fantastic.

look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 version. Amazing color, looks exactly like peaches! It has a soft acidic and creamy nose, fruity, followed by a funky and tart taste with notes of fruits. Apricot, peaches, it is really fresh and well balanced. Love this beer!

Note's from Captain Lawrence Rosso Batch 3 release / tasting:

Duck duck gooze – holy shit, DDG…here we are. Beatufiul murky pale color, yellow…it is a thick yellow, beautiful, leaves sparse lacing. Aw, sweet tart all day on the odor, beautiful. OH WOW…SUPER tart sour, but sweet enough that it is tolerable and delicious…I understand the repuatation. Smooth as the day is long. Really really impressive, overall it is mouth puckerijngly sour while still being delicious and phenomenal. This is a great sour, sweet tarts with sourness with goodness, it is good. DDG, very unexpected to run into this at the release, but glad I did as it exceeded my expectations.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Been looking forward to this one for quite some time. The first beer sampled at our sour tasting. Poured into a large tasting glass approximately a 6oz pour.

A- Pours hazy golden yellow in color. A nice, slightly off white head that recedes ever so slightly. Some light lacing is left on my glass.

A- Wow really nice! Sour apple all the way. A nice funky twist with some lemon twist. A light hint of Chardonnay barrels. This is just really, really, nice.

T- I love it! Tart granny smith apples. A bit of oak, white grapes, and chardonnay. The bit of citrus in the nose is also present in the taste, but not as strong. Sour and funky.

M- lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation is high. Finishes dry and tart.

D- I could have killed the bottle with great ease. I was sad to see the bottom of my glass. I will without a doubt, be seeking out another bottle. It was my 2nd favorite sour of the night, only Beatification out shined this and that is really splitting hairs.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Got to first try this during the Stone Sour Fest. This was one of the first three or four beers I sampled, before the UNGODLY KILN-LIKE HEAT began to destroy my will to live.

Surprisingly long lived white foam head. Pours a cloudy, hazy yellow. Smells like tight, tart funkiness, with a predominantly lemon aroma. Wow. Lot of lemon in the flavor, too. There's some nice barnyard funk that isn't overpowering, and a ton of zesty vinegar lemon ... maybe some unripe oranges ... and a dash of vinegar. Its funk and sour elements are very well balanced.

Surprisingly, neither a sour, a funk, nor a flavor bomb. It's just a very well harmonized, very good sour.

Had this back to back with Isabelle Proximus, and it was interesting to compare the two. Isabelle is certainly more sour, and heavier on the unripe apples/pears versus lemon and citrus.

**UPDATE: somewhat uniquely amongst Lost Abbey beers (recently), this was BETTER in the bottle than it was on tap. Shocking, I know. The citrus and vinous vinegary-ness was more lipsmackingly addictive, and with a big amount to linger over the nuances became much more noticeable. The oak finish and unripe apple sensation, for example, was more prominent as one worked their way through a larger serving size. One of the most drinkable sours I've come across.

4.8/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was warned this beer had fallen off a bit. I can assure you it was the shocker of the night. For the people that have had it already, it was unanimous that this was the best bottle of DDG they have ever had. For me the amazing balance of sour/funk/lemon zest was amazing. Ain't over the hill yet son.

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

Yellow and light orange appearance, broke out at the 5th party. Great aroma, just like Cable Car in my opinion, was super tart, funky, dry with no discernable fruit aroma save lemon, which is probably only an association from the tart/sour aroma.

More of the same in the taste, super dry, super sour and tart. Maybe could see some green apple adding to this one giving it the slightest dallop of sweetness, but contributing far more sour and bitter feel. Tangy, saliva inducing on every sip. And you sip ever so fast, must control self next time and let it warm even further. Wouldn't call it complex, its straightforward and pretty simple in the mouthfeel for what it is. And at $50, it isn't exactly accessible that often (aside from its limited production numbers). Astringent.

A must try for anyone who likes their sours though. But Cantillon Classic Gueze is like $16? And this is $50? Can't say it comes anywhere near being worth it based on that comparison, but should have it at least once in a blue moon (i.e. when you see it).

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Slightly hazy golden yellow with a very white laced head.

S: Very estery with sour apple tones throughout.

T: Amazing. one of the best sours I've ever had. Subtle sweetness with intense but not overpowering sour berry and apple through. The smooth oak flavor does a great job of bringing everything together.

M: Very thin with and almost over carbonation.

O: This is the second best sour I've ever had behind batch 1 consecration aged for 6 years. Amazing beer. Worth it's trade value and more.

2009 Vintage (Aged 38 months)

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is amazing. The appearance was golden and brite, slight orange, crisp with very little head only brief lacing that didnt linger at all. Carb bubbles were present throughout.
The smell was sweet & sour with a good funk, slight notes of tart apple and pear. I thought after smelling that this was going to disappoint honestly.
The taste though, wow. Tart apple, granny smith, bright farmyard funk, the taste lingered as well and was slight bile lemon and finished with sweet spice notes and some orange grapefruity effervescence. This taste for me was perfection. Even as I cherished the last couple sips that had warmed it was even more complex with some malt, bread, salt and dank balanced funk. So good, better on the cold side but I cherished it all through the pour...
The mouth was crisp and dry, the tart wets the cheeks afterwards and it lingered in a good way
I really was close to a 5 on this beer, its definitely in my top 5 and left me craving desperately for another

4.79/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip. Thanks to bauermj for bringing this out to the whale tasting.

Appearance: My pour is a very hazy light golden straw color with a light off-white head that fades away to nothing.

Smell: The aroma is so sour it burns my nose a little bit. Pure sour, lemon zest, some grapefruit, and a bit of apricot.

Taste: The light malt is there but gets quickly overwhelmed by the lemon, lactic, and vinegar sourness. Very sour throughout, which I enjoy very much; that is really the focus of the beer. Lemon, a bit of white grape and green apple with some full grapefruit sourness to finish.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but bitingly sour and tart. Medium bodied, crisp carbonation.

Overall: I really enjoy sours that really burn my nose and rip my taste buds out. This satisfies that criteria.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage. Pours a vibrant orange color with little to no white head that dissipates immediately. The wine barrels explode on the nose. Bright, tart taste with nice red wine and oak flavors popping through. The mouthfeel is nicely carbonated with quick dissipation leaving an incredibly smooth feeling on the pallet. Incredible beer, now I can see why it's so sought after

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

750ml bottle shared with my brothers and dad to celebrate the birth of my nephew. Out of a Brooklyn Brewery tulip.

A- Beautiful straw yellow color with a very light whitish head. It is pretty golden amber and glowing in color, and a little murky.

S- I get lots of notes of green apple, lemon, and barnyardy funk. It doesn't smell terribly sour, but is certainly funky.

T- I get lots of grape skins, apple, lemon, and funk. There are notes of acidity and sourness. I get some oaky notes as well, but the whole thing is smooth and tasty. I think green apple sweet tarts was what we thought it taste with, combined with some funky tartness.

M- Perfect blend of carbonation and body. The aftertaste is great, and very pleasant. Crisp and refreshing.

O- Definitely a great beer. Not as sour or funky as I expected, but it is sooo smooth and tasty. This is one of the smoothest sour beers I've had, and is very easy to drink. Can't wait for the next release, as this is a very drinkable sour.

-GFunk

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

This beer has a certain sentimental value to me, as my wife would attest to when I proposed. Always loved to bottle, would like to have a poster-sized picture of it. Bottle shared with a few of the Chicago crew and some Jackie O's peeps that were in town.

A - Golden orangish colored beer. A finger and a half of white foam bubbled up, leaving a little bit of lacing on the sides as it dissipated rather quickly.

S - For an American Wild, this is pretty spot on. Great funk, barn, and horse blanket. Smell is slightly vinous, with a bit of green apple. It has a great tartness to it, that balances out the funk with a perfect blend of sweet.

T - This is one of those beers that is easy to drink and wish I could drink often. Funk is present, but the tartness takes over, and combines with acetic notes to give it a drying and lighter taste which is great. Sour apple is hinted at, with some grapes, a touch of vinegar, and a little bit of oak. Great balance and flavors, about as right as you can get.

M - Healthy carbonation makes it feel lighter than its medium body. Dry finish that doesn't over do it.

O - One of my favorite American Wilds. Really can't get enough of this, and it is quite easy to drink. Alcohol is not detectable, even at a robust 7% for the style. Highly recommended, and I want more.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks go to either route66pubs or bret27 for this! (I did two trades for DDG and I am not entirely certain whose bottle I opened!) Shared with newtonty on my back deck on this gorgeous late summer day.

Pours a slightly hazy peach with yellow highlights. An average white, fizzy head was there for a minute, but disappeared, leaving a small white halo. Settling must have occurred as it sat in my cellar, because the more we drank, the cloudier the pours got.

The nose is big and complex on this one! I get a mix of band aid astringency, sour granny smith apples, sour peaches, fresh, sweet honey and tangerine. There's also a tobacco quality and some wood in it. Wow! To me, the peach is the most assertive flavor in the nose and it does smell puckering!

Wow, where to start! Puckering mix of band aids, peach, tangerine and honey again! My college graduate level vocabulary can't give this beer justice. Leathery/woody finish on this one... Just amazingly unique!

The body is light and the flavor is full. I get a film of bitterness on my tongue after sipping! Big complex and fantastic! One of my top 3 favorite beers of 2009!

Edit: Here is a snap of it!

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

I shared a bottle of this with drabmuh and our wives last Sunday.

The label art is fantastic and hilarious. The beer appears mostly clear, with just a slight haze. The color is golden yellow, with a small head and just a touch of lacing.

The aroma is sour and funky, but not overly so. Straw and hay scents with a slight barn or farmyard presence. Very enticing.

The beer is so easy to drink. I am very impressed. It tastes incredibly smooth and clean, and all of the complexities are balanced very well. Masterfully done. As we delved deeper into the bottle, the beer gets slightly more sour and funky. Hooray dregs. The finish is tart and funky with a hint of vinegar, but no burning acidity.

An awesome beer and well worth tracking down.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Reviewed from notes taken at Greg's epic tasting. 3oz pour.

A - Hazy, milky gold with a bit of a white (not off white) head that recedes quickly.

S - Sharply but cleanly sour, lots of citrus, melons (grapefruit), and green apple skins.

T - this is the best, most robust wild I've ever had, period. Most fall into the trap of being very one-dimensional, but not this beauty. MOUNTAINS of green apple skins, tons of sour and barnyard funk, with a slight acidic bite. Not too vinegary.

M - a tad thin, but spot on nonetheless.

D - I could, and would, drink this all day everyday.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Nice mixture of a mild orange and yellow color with a thin white head 1/6". Nice aroma, very similar to Cable Car, tart, dry, lemon, crisp.

Taste delivered another super dry citrus, lemon for the most part, some orange underneath that, real dry virgin kind of oak impressions. Astringent all over. Very expensive so it doesn't hit that pleasure zone, and they only break it out if you're cool enough or some fake hype limited scarcity kind of stuff. But there is no denying its av very good beer and seems to stand the test of time as this is a 2013 bottle.

There's a lot of gueuze out there, American or Belgian that you can get for so much cheaper than this. Unfortunately Lost Abbey is in the collectible make it scarce hype business model so it is what it is.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Attended the 4th pick up for the 2013 DDG release.

This wonderful elixir was served in a plastic cup. I did share a bit with my GF who I've been introducing to sours over the last couple years. Kind wished for a DDG glass taster, but hell I was happy just to get a taste without cracking a bottle.

A: Very clear light golden color. You can tell something interesting is hiding behind that veil of beauty.
S: Tart with fruity esters only inviting your senses to get closers.
T: The initial taste is of mild fruit with a very drinkable sourness, that makes you want to go for the next drink.
M: Very smooth, with some wetness.
O: I love this beer, but I'm hesitant on opening a bottle now. When I do I'll be revisiting this review.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle to oversized red wine glass (what else bitches?)

A: Pours a straw-orange with a small effervescent head that recedes quickly to a rim around the edges.

S: Jesus this smells like somebody poured malt vinegar on top of hawaii. And I mean that in the best way possible. Big notes of both sweet and sour fruit up front: grapefruit, big lemon, tangerine, and sour apple all dance like prepubescent naked teens conjuring satan in the forest during the salem witch trials. This fruitiness is pulled by an acidic tartness that is surprisingly more sweet than the vinegar sourness that has been known to plague a select few LA sours that shall not be named.

T: First few sips were an overwhelming acidic pucker that kept my anus clenched through the end, where it finally faded into a funky and musky finish. Some subtle fruit sweetness, but mostly vinegar and acidic. Not like shitty Bruery sour-gone-bad vinegar, but the typical LA vinegar as mentioned above. As it warmed, the vinegar started to fade, and morph into a more juicy and fruity sour as the initial aroma would have suggested. By the time my first glass was empty and the second was poured, I fell in love. This beer is the pinnacle of what an AWA should strive for. Sour as fuck, funky as shit, but also unbelievably juicy. Green apple, lemon juice, and sweet nectarines stood out once it warmed. Finish is dry and full of unicorn semen. Like sucking on a green apple jolly rancher. Wo0ah daddy like.

M: HOLY SHIT WHO TAUGHT TOMME HOW TO CARBONATE PROPERLY?

O: Admittedly I am lost abbey fanboy, However, I don't hesitate to criticize them when they fuck up. They do fuck up a lot, but when Tomme gets his shit together, they are 100% fucking all time...this beer would be an example of being 100% fucking all time. Like an otter pop blended with lemon juice filtered through sweaty gym socks. And yeah, that was intended to be a compliment.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

M- lighter side of medium in body. Carbonation is high. Finishes dry and tart.

D- I will without a doubt, be seeking out another bottle.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle thanks to islandboi8204, served in a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Hazy yellow orange, with a half finger of white head that recedes to a rim. No lacing. Body has a nice glow to it.

Smell: Big tart lemons and funk up front. Lots of oak as well. Some pear skins and green apples. A strong lactic character is even sour on the nose.

Taste: Big sour lemons up front, followed by a deep clean funk. Lots of tart pears and more lemon. A hefty amount of oak dries everything out continually. Some light bready sweetness, but only just. Finishes with funk and oak.

Mouthfeel: Very sour, but never puckering or cloying. Very, very dry, which I enjoy immensely.

Overall: This beer exceeded my high expectations. It is clear why it has the acclaim it carries. I hope to have it again.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey