Duck Duck Gooze | The Lost Abbey

Duck Duck GoozeDuck Duck Gooze

The Lost Abbey
lostabbey.com

Style: Gueuze

In Belgian brewing there are fantastic wild ales brewed with naturally occurring yeast. These beers develop over time and are ready on their own terms. Duck Duck Gooze is our homage to these effervescent and wonderfully complex sparkling beers.

A blend of young and old barrel aged beers, this has been one of our most sought after beers year after year since it’s original release in 2009.

Alas, it is released in very small quantities only once every three years, so it’s extremely difficult to come by beyond the day we release it. It does, however, turn up on our Tasting Room’s Vintage List from time to time, so don’t despair.

Added by illidurit on 07-13-2009

#29

Ratings: 1,825 |  Reviews: 289
4.58/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

750ml bottle of the 2013 release. Poured into a Lost Abbey teku glass today, 4/23/2014.

Review #551.

A- Straw yellow-brown body. One finger white head, fair retention, not a ton of lacing. In comparison to Beatification, this looks pretty much just like Sour in the Rye- aka a darker hued blonde.

S- There is a lot of lacto here, as evidenced by a thick, wet yogurt acidity that somewhat comes to dominate the nose. There is some vinous qualities, a bit of vinegar, tart apple flavours, sharp yeast flavours and a nice dry oak contribution. No real red wine barrel notes, but the vinous notes I do get seem to remind me more of a dry white wine.

F- This is where DDG shines the most. This is easily one of the more complex American wild ales I've ever had the opportunity to try. Dry oak, vinous grape, lactobacillus & yogurt, vinegar, a bit of breadiness, tart green apple, chardonnay. It's definitely a pleasure to drink and dissect. Very complex palate profile.

M- Medium bodied, not quite custardy but a bit thicker than a typical sour that's intended to be fashioned in the style of the Belgian lambic. Nice carbonation that leaves a nice fizzy finish initially, but that's lost after a little while.

O- This is probably one of the most complex American wild ales that I'll ever have the chance to try. It does seem to fade in the nose and flavour as it warms up, but I still enjoyed this a lot. I believe people when they say this and Beatification are better than Cable Car, and I'm very happy to have the opportunity to try a good one-third of a 750ml bottle of this to dissect and enjoy. Its certainly not an Armand'4 geuze, but as far as American wilds go, this is excellent.

Re-review: 2009 cork and caged bottle, served in a minisnifter 4/30/2016. I would argue that this is much more well-rounded than the 2013 bottle we drank concurrently; a fair bit of ground peppercorn and lemon remain prominent, but much less of the green apple tartness on the nose and on the palate. It's more elegant and well-constructed compared to its successor, yet just as complex and aromatic. Now I understand why people put a big premium on the 2009 vintage as compared to the 2013 vintage.

4.17/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have tried this beer on several occasions, so figured I might as well review it. It's beers like this that convince I'm just not much of a sour lover.

The beer pours a golden amber color with very good retention and considerable lacing. The nose is pretty one dimensional in my opinion, though if you're a sour lover, I guess it's great. I r eally pick up considerable lemon lime, but with some noticeable vinegar as well. It's a presage of what's to come on the palate, as I get mouth stingin lemon and lime acidity, albeit with some noticable underlying grape as well. Still, the sour component really dominates in this beer, and it's almost painful drinking this. Mouthfee lis medium bodied at most, with a long, sour, acidic finish. Alcohol is very well integrated into the flavor profile, and so if sours are your bag, I'm sure you'd be in heaven with this stuff.

Have had this several times now, and I'm able to appreciate it more than I first did when I sampled it with some friends in DC years ago, but this still is just too much sour for my palate to handle. That being said, this is always a fun and interesting beer to sample, and it's amazing the amount of flavor it delivers.

4.6/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.83/5  rDev +4.5%

750ml corked and caged bottle.

A nice pop when I removed the cork and I see the foam oozing from the bottle. A nice cloudy orange coloured brew with over a 1 finger head of foam. Yes!

Taking a few whiffs, this certainly smacks of an American Wild Ale that is of the sour variety. Huge sourness greets my nosebuds...I'm geting mostly grapes(I'm guessing they are bringing some sweet tones as well cuz there is definitely some sweetness here) but also green apples tartness and some notes of citrus fruits.... with a healthy yeasty note and if your whiffs are deep, you can smell the oak aging for yourself. In other words, the smell is outrageously good and implies an equallly good taste. We shall see.

First sip and the sour starts things off very nicely. Green apples, grapes, citrus bitterness, some fruity sweet tones, yeasty, and slightly funky?? wow. Love the flavours here and the sourness intensifies greatly when you swish the beer in your mouth. And..in between all that, a bit harder to detect but it is there, is an oaky goodness. The second pour sems to bring out more of that oak aging but it certainly isn't a dominant feature. No problem. What I'm tasting the most pleases me to no end.

The mouthfeel just creeps over into medium territory and the carbonation is light but perfect for this brew. This sucker is silky smooth. And you know what? Head retention and lacing are superb!

Drinkability? No sign of the abv and quite frankly, I didn't "expect" any as most of the style are in the reasonable alcohol content department. That being said, this is so easy to drink for me, it makes me shudder. I'm so glad I opted to buy this, being a Sinners Club member. So many positives and so few negatives. Are there any? Fantastic brew!!

4.62/5  rDev 0%

Served On-Tap at Monk's Cafe for Philly Beer Week. I love this city! Thanks Tomme and Tom.

Coming at me with a hazy yellowish blond look with hints of orange poking around in there. Looks a bit lighter than medium in build and there is no head at all from the tap, no lacing. Smells include big musk of barn with horse and hay. A big basket of lemons and assorted fruits. Oak, wood and some musty aroma with a dousing of brett, maybe lacto? Smells like it's going to be sour. And it is, a nice sour gueuze. I had this out of the bottle young and can tell it's only growing in funk. Taste is tart lemon drops with apricot and small pineapple blast. Warming brings a bit of apple to the stage. In the middle a earthy taste with oak tannins but not any vanilla which is ok by me. The sourness is pleasant and a bit acidic, but not quite there yet. There is actually a nice faint sweetness going along with the sour in that order. Puckering, yes, overly puckering, no. Quite balanced. Medium bodied and nicely carbed. Crisp and semi dry I 'll take another please. Id like to see where this goes in a year or two but the chances of getting another bottle are slim. Another winner.

4.81/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Shared with JLindros and company at the last whale tasting. Reviewed from notes. Think this was an 09 vintage.

A - Poured into my Kate the Great tulip a hazy straw hue with a sudsy head that fades to a thin blanket. Nice light lacing here.

S - Super, super sour tart funk. Big, tart lemons with lots of oak barrel. Some nice green apple notes too. Oh wow!

T - TONS of green apples here, tart, tart sour green apple sinks as well. Lemons and green apples with good earthy notes as well along with light oak.

M - Mouthfeel is super tart and delicious. Never really puckering, but almost mind shattering dry.

O - Overall this was an exceptional bottle. So glad I got to try this little slice of heaven.

4.5/5  rDev -2.6%

A solid Pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a frothy, two-finger thick, pale, almost white head. The beer is a murky, pale amber color that shows quite a bit of haze (much is a chill haze as it was clearer at room temps) and a rich gold color when held up to the light. I only let this sit for just under two weeks (I couldn't wait any longer), so this was still a touch hazy even before I chilled it down.

The aroma has a tart lemon like bite to it up front but finishes with a distinct tropical fruit and even more pineapple notes at the backend of the aroma. Musty, damp cellar notes mix with a musky, phenolic soaked moldy cotton, sweat stained well worn leather character are a sure Brettanomyces signature. There is a touch of toastiness here that seems to be contributed by both oak and grain; the latter also produces some saltine cracker notes I can't get away from the fruitiness here, while it is not overwhelming (the lactic contribution is probably the most dominant in this complex nose, but not by much) and even a touch subtle, it is quite distinct from say a Belgian Lambic; tropical fruit, with a touch of green apple at times can be quite distinct at times, though at others it can be quite fleeting too. As the beer warms a sort of unripe, green fruit character seems to get accentuated, some how it reminds me of nopalitos (prickly pear cactus paddles ready for cooking).

My first sip is puckeringly tart, but there seems to be a hint of sweetness to this brew too (though perhaps this is just perceived from a soft acetic character). Subsequent sips lose the shocking sourness but retain a robust, amply tart lactic acid component that dominates the flavor profile. The body is quite full for something that is so dry and I am sure much of it is contributed by tannic oak and the lactic slickness that is found in significantly sour beers. There is a buttery note here that I at first thought might be some residual diacetyl, but I am not convinced it is more likely oak derived; in fact I am pretty sure of this. Despite being quite sour, there is still a lot more going on here; spicy oak notes, a solid virgin oak stave woodiness, a touch of urea, maybe a hint of an acetic bite (actually as this warms I think this becomes more apparent, though it is nothing more than a background note), maybe a touch of green apple, . There is a touch of astringency and sharpness to the finish that seems to leach into the oral-nasal cavity and the roof of my mouth after a sip as passed down my throat.

My second pour of this beer is, unsurprisingly, a touch more hazy. Underneath the ever present acidity there is a soft Brettanomyces influenced funk; layers of mustiness, definite phenolic notes that don't quite reach curing plastic levels as well as a hint of musky, sweat dried, abused blankets that become a touch more apparent towards the finish.

I could drink a lot of this beer. The aroma is nicely complex and though the flavor could be a little bit more so, it is still a fine tipple overall. This substitutes very nicely for a traditional Belgian-sourced Lambic and I so wish I had a bunch of bottles of this. For those who like a more integrated faux Lambic, this beer will be enjoyed a bit more than the fresh Isabelle Proximus. Comparing these fresh though, I liked the additional complexity of the Isabelle Proximus (funkiness and oak were more prominent in the first beer released). This is still quite a fine beer though and it serves as proof that the funky beers at Lost Abbey are still strong and full of life.

4.57/5  rDev -1.1%

750 mL bottle shared with beandip and starrdogg.

Pours a hazed golden apricot color with a delicate, wispy white head that quickly fades to a thin ring and little lacing. Almost has a pulpy, resiny texture to the appearance.

Aroma is a rich, sweet blend of lemon, grape skin, vanilla oak, grass, light funk. Sweeter than expected and not as funky, but very well balanced.

Incredibly easy drinking, initially has a mild funkiness that never turns into an oppresive barnyard funk bomb. Lemon and grass sourness appears mid palate before finishing fruity and sweeter with grapes and vanilla oak.

Lighter side of medium body with soft, fine carbonation. Finish lingers with green apple and lemon.

Well that was nice.

Bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks to Kyle for sharing the wealth!

(A)- Pours a clear orange/yellow color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.0)

(S)- Some great tart fruits and sour; almost lactic background. Lightly earthy of hay, but mostly the sour wine-like fruits dominated the aroma. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour, but a great sour profile at that. Some light earthy hay from the smell, but again, the lemon and white grape-like fruits take center stage.(5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A potent sour/acidic level, but supplemented well by light earth and fruits. It finishes rather clean despite its potency.(4.5)

(D)- This is really a great Wild worth getting your hands on some. Has a great profile and balance with just the right amount of each aspect. Great stuff.(5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.65)
___

**Updated review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2009 Vintage.

(A)- Pours a semi cloudy golden apricot yellow/orange color. Produced a decent white head that dissipated down to foam. Minimal lacing. It really does have a beautiful looking color.

(S)- Dry, yet a wonderful acidic sourness. Great tart lemon rind, white grape, and an almost lime or peach fruits. Not a ton of funk, but just enough hay and vinegar-like earth to mesh really well together with the sour fruits.

(T)- Very similar to the smell in every way. A really nice dry, acidic lemon tart and white grape sourness. Minimal dry earthy hay funk on the finish with even more almost juicy, yet tart lemon and maybe peach on the finish.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. It really has a beautifully balanced profile of tart acidic fruits and mellow dry earth. Its so smooth despite its sourness.

(D)- Just an absolute wonderful wild ale. It really is even better than what I remember from my first time trying it! With a much larger amount to critique and a more quiet setting to enjoy it in, I felt that this deserves an even better rating than I originally gave it. Just a wonderfully easy drinking; balanced and dynamic beer. Lost Abbey has been hit or miss for me, but I really think this is hands down their best offering. I really do not see how it can get any better than this for the style

4.35/5  rDev -5.8%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ,

A: Pours a lightly hazy yellow, with a firm white head, nice bubbles, not unlike champagne.

S: Sour apples, mild vinegar, malt.

T: Sour yellow apples, cidery, very gueuze like. White wine grapes and hint of sugar as well.

M: Smoothly acidic, not going to pull the enamel off your teeth, medium-bodied crisp.

D: Well worth the wait, this is fantastic gueuze/wild ale, I wish I could drink more of it.

4.88/5  rDev +5.6%

4.68/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Hazy lemon yellow in color with a frothy white head and spotty lacing. The nose features light lactic funk, hay, tart lemon, barnyard, and a light grassy note. Graceful, layered flavor of sour citrus, lemon meringue, slight orange and melon, with a tart finish that doesn’t overpower the well-balanced taste. Effervescent and slightly prickly palate.

4.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottle shared by Overlord. Thanks Mike. I've had this on tap a couple times but have yet to open a bottle of my own. Consumed on a nice day in Carlsbad on 11/03/2009 and poured into a snifter. The beer appears cloudy tangerine orange with a two finger white head and great retention.

The nose is musty barnyard, cheese, and wet leather accompanied by orange and lemon. There's moderate acidity in the aroma, as well as notes of oak. Wow. The combination of citrus and funk is outstanding. There's moderate lactic character.

The taste is acidic tart lemon and orange with a moderate lactic sourness. Brett provides mustiness, moderate funk, and a decided cheese quality to the beer. The tart citrus is delicious. Oak is evident. I enjoyed this bottle immensely more than I enjoyed my tap sample. The finish is acidic citrus with a lingering tartness and lactic sourness. This stuff is killer, and so damn drinkable. I'd venture to say this is one of my favorite American Wild Ales and a marvel of blending. Highly recommended. This beer deserves the Gold Medal it won at GABF 2009.

Duck Duck Gooze from The Lost Abbey